Gen 9 Tournament Format Issue

With Generation 9 being introduced in November, the next edition of Smogon Tour will be the last to properly include every old gen format should our tournament structure remain the same (i.e 1-5 in classic and 6-7 in ST). As ORAS is set to be kicked out, it will thusly have no representation in official individual tournaments, and only a brief appearance every SPL (thanks to bad wcop voters). As I see no forum discourse discussing this issue, I want to propose a couple of solutions and get the ball rolling on discussion for how to keep ORAS and future formats included in the tournament circuit:

1) Remove CG OU from Smogon Tour and let it be a "middle gens" focused tournament (6/7/8). OU already has more than enough representation in official individuals, not to mention frankly getting over representation in WCOP. This solution is a bit short term though, as a possible Generation 10 would introduce a similar issue, although this one could be solved by my second suggestion...
2) Best of 5 Smogon Tour. The generation 9 editions would feature 5/6/7/8/9 OUs, each with 2 weekends of play meaning only 1 more total week of tournaments. Should there be a generation 10, and it would be an easy shift to move to 6/7/8/9/10 OU. This solution is my personal favorite.
3) Add ORAS to classic. Basically just go the Grand Slam route, which included 6 tiers in this edition and a system of BFL. Come a possible generation 10, and SM could be included in Classic as well for a best of 7 old gens tournament.

I know I'm not speaking alone when I say that I only really still use Smogon to play old generations in tournaments. Let's make sure every format gets representation for the future circuits.

Won classic and find the above to be obvious…ly wrong. Classic is good as is. Classic, the tournament, is more important than ORAS, the tier. The only tier owed representation is CG OU.

Also very hesitant to change ST, but 2 remains superfluous so fucking with one of them is okay.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Classic, the tournament, is more important than ORAS, the tier.
This is so incredibly short-sighted. CG OU benefits from people wanting to go back and play oldgens. There is no world where one tournament on Smogon is worth more than the entire competitive format of ORAS and its representation. There is more than competitive Pokemon to consider than the Smogon Classic. People will be drawn to Smogon to play ORAS OU, and some will stick around and become tournament mainstays.

Again, this is so simple. We don't punt a competitive format. The drawbacks to adding ORAS to classic are so ridiculously small. I can see arguments for wanting to keep the fairy-types away because they're so distinctly different, but in reality, there are as many changes from gens 2 -> 3. Maybe classic isn't the best tournament to keep it around, but considering we literally already did this and it worked out just fine, it seems like a no-brainer.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Another possible format would be to make Smogon Tour feature generations 6 through 9 (the "Fairy gens"). The qualification phase could last 8 weeks (2 weekends per gen) or stick to the traditional 9 weeks (one more CG weekend: 9, 8, 7, 6, 9, 8, 7, 6, 9). The playoff format would remain the same (BO3s where the higher seeded player picks the first tier and the next games' tiers are chosen by the loser of the previous game).
This would solidify Smogon Tour as the Fairy gen tournament, in contrast to Smogon Classic, and maintain the current Classic format. You could see this as a compromise between the current Smogon Tour format and z0mOG's second proposal.

Last edited:
former oras main and classic playoffs seed 4

oras in classic is hugely undesirable, not only because it fucks w the format as a whole but it's a huge jump in terms of how pokemon is played.
megas, fairies, very different hazard control, knock off mechanics, different typing interactions (ghost/dark vs steel) and more.

rather than trying to suggest a format i'll strongly suggest that oras should always stay paired with sm in these types of tours since playing either can largely be done intuitively as long as you play 1 of the 2 gens. It's obvious in terms of "branding" as well w common terms such as "fairy gens" including both or "mega gens" referring to both.

given that leaving out a whole generation of play is something smogon should never aim to do, it's easy to tell that something needs to be done.
And the most obvious solution is changing the way smogon tour works, given it's the only official tournament to have 2 iterations each year. Some of the above solutions sound fine, maybe there's room for optimization too. Anyway it should be the prefered course of action to adjust the tournament cycle this way rather than slapping oras into classic which will only leave classic as well as oras players unsatisfied and generally unhappy with the situation.

tldr: don't change classic, keep oras w sm, look into altering stour format

have a good week everyone

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Honestly I like the idea of cementing the Classic as the "pre-Fairy tournament" giving Smogtour the identity of "Fairy tournament" by having a 8 week tournament (9 8 7 6 9 8 7 6), and for an eventual Gen10 if it doesn't change much we would do 10 weeks (10 9 8 7 6 10 9 8 7 6) instead

I currently enjoy the lineups of official tournaments we have anyway and we can accomodate this to solidify the identity of each one even more, and every generation gets representation in this way

edit: im a dumbass please don't do this

Last edited:
Genuine circuit fixing idea

1) Make Stour1 - Gen9 OU, UU, Ubers

2) Make Stour2 - SS SM ORAS

3) Make Slam - RU NU PU LC DOU

4) Delete OSDT

5) Profit

(this is serious i promise)
Yeah let's just remove random tiers from Slam. Not like they're also part of our tier circuit. Deal with your OU issues without fucking up other circuits, thanks.

Last edited:

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
I have no stakes here but I've always thought about transforming one of the stours to be a format for fairy past gens (aka when gen 9 begins 6, 7, 8), and it won't necessarily be the live tour format either but could be something similar to classic where they each have their own cup and then a playoff stage. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do understand the sentiment of keeping classic the way it is with non fairy gens.

Not sure how high valued having two smogon tours a year is, doesn't seem that needed to me but hey i never really played seriously in them so maybe i'm wrong, but other solutions to keep the format do become more complicated as more generations are introduced. Think overall though it would be good utilizing one of the Smogon Tours when Past Gens start getting booted off from the format.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Make two classics, one Gens 1-3, the other Gens 4-6 and STour Gens 7-9. Doing this allows you to have chances to win a tournament without having to be a good player in 5 different gens but only three which is much more feasible.

Rename the Classics if you deem it necessary.
Also don't add any tier besides OU to any Stour that's just nonsense

Aliss

is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I don't really want to step on anyone's toes (I'll leave that to ABR) so I don't really have a solution for the issue, but speaking as someone who made classic playoffs and has generally played a lot of all gens 1-5 over the past couple years to decent success, i feel compelled to express my distaste of adding ORAS to classic.
As erz outlined above, ORAS is mechanically very different to the other generations in classic. While one could argue that all Classic gens are very different, I genuinely believe that ORAS varies from multiple of the shared ideas that make other generations similar, some of which erz mentioned (fairies being the elephant in the room). I don't really believe ORAS has a place in Classic, due to how these differences separate it from the current Classic tiers.

That being said, I do understand that there's some subjectivity to this argument so I want to mention two other things. First being that the 'Classic Gens' have been grouped together since Classic was created 7 years ago, and thus have created significant community overlap in a way that gens 1-5 and ORAS lack. ORAS players & its community tends to have way more overlap with SM/SS/Soon to be SV players, both to their more mechanically similar nature and the status as 'newgens'. While of course some people will disagree with this statement, I believe the majority of the old gen community would dislike this change. The playerbase that the Smogon Classic caters to does not want ORAS in this tour.

Lastly I'd like to comment on the BFL 6 Tier Slam. I'm quite honestly not a fan of the BFL in general, but I'll accept that some people will like that part of the tour more than me. That being said, I feel strong about disliking the 6 tier playoff system. I don't think it adds anything and I feel like it detracts from the concept behind Slam/Classic of having to master all tiers to succeed. Its not a huge deal, but I think the bo5 playoffs work perfect and would like to adhere to an 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' policy here.

Again, I don't really know what should be done to ORAS. I just hope the decision won't be to add it to a tournament that would become significantly worse because of it.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
ORAS literally has 3D sprites and people wanna add this shit to Classic? There's nothing "classic" about ORAS. It's mechanically so similar to the most recent gens it literally shares their sprites. Anyone who thinks adding ORAS to Classic and giving another tournament Slam's current dogshit format of 6 cups is either trolling or bad at Gens 1-5, so they want a way to qualify by cheesing with Screens and Cofagrigus. This is the dumbest suggestion I've ever read.

Iguana

formerly mc56556
There is a large issue that seems to be overlooked so far in this thread: Especially in recent times, many people have complained about the significant time commitment of Smogon Classic. Having to build and play for five separate tournaments spread over many weeks is a lot of work. Adding in an additional tournament (ORAS) does not solve that issue, and, in fact, it worsens it.

I'll echo other posts in this thread mentioning the significant mechanics differences between ORAS and the classic Gens. It's nonsensical to lump together ORAS––a Gen that saw the advent of Mega-Evolved Pokémon, a substantially different Defog mechanic, an entire new typing, a difference in effectiveness between Steel and Ghost-/Dark-type attacks, etc.––with the classic Gens.

The identity of Smogon Classic should be based around Gens 1-5 OU; this is as it has always been since the tour began seven years ago and how it should always remain. Adding ORAS to this tour is not the only solution, the ideal solution, or a solution at all. It will worsen what is perhaps the best large tour Smogon has to offer. Instead, we should consider alternate ideas to preserve ORAS' inclusion in Smogon trophy tours.

I think the other two options z0mOG mentioned in the OP are well worth considering. Personally, I agree that turning Smogon Tour into a Bo5 tournament featuring Gens 5-9 (and then 6-10 if Gen 10 happens at some point) is ideal. There are two advantages of this idea: one, it keeps ORAS in an individual trophy tour for the foreseeable future; and two, there's some nice synergy between both Classic and Smogon Tour being Bo5 tours. This is a really neat idea that I hope sees further discussion in this thread.

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
I didn't intend to post seriously in PR post-TD retirement but i've broken that rule like 5 times at this point and seeing a post about fucking sprites vs 3d models broke something deep within me so here we are.

So the 2 reasons that i see in this thread, and do illuminate me if there are others, are that ORAS is too different from the others and that classic was supposed to be 1-5.

I can't fathom how disingenuous/ignorant you have to be to convince yourself that megas, defog and ghost/dark type differences (or the fucking sprites) holds a candle to the amount of difference TEAM PREVIEW or THE PHYSICAL/SPECIAL SPLIT or ABILITIES AND THE 508 EV LIMIT introduced. none of these gens are that similar, if you think about it for 2 seconds but bw/oras are far closer than any two other gens in this tournament are to each other, as team preview is a far bigger change than anything else, if that was relevant at all, which it isn't, because the soul of the tournament was never about having 5 tiers that were similar to each other.

next, the notion that classic was always supposed to be about gens 1-5 is nonsense, study some Smogon History™ , here, i'll help you out with some excerpts from the thread where classic was proposed:

"Luckily, Ciele had some ideas to fix it, and his variations what I'm here to propose today. I'm proposing a Grand Slam-style tournament that consists of every non-current generation OU metagame. Let's look at how this fixes the issues that prevented this tournament from coming into existence." ¹

"Second off, the most recent Grand Slam took on a 6th tier, Doubles, despite ultimately being best of 5 in the playoffs - you're allowed to play all but one (5/6 in this case) of the slams and in the playoffs, the higher seed picks which tier is left out. As of right now, we have 5 past generations so it comes out cleanly for a best of 5, but GS formatting works perfectly for when generation 7 arrives and ORAS becomes a past gen that would be included in the tournament." ¹

and as a bonus, in that thread including BW and DPP was suggested as a form of bridging the gap between CharizardFan and M Dragon by making the tour more accessible to newer guys. You don't need to be a genius to see how ORAS can further help there.

From this we learn that the soul of the tournament was for people interested in playing old gen OU's would still have a place to do so (sounds like the solution to our problem doesn't it?). Now clearly, the intentions the TD team circa 2015 had and what ended up happening when SM came out were obviously dissonant, as a man with the dubious honor of being a TD from 2017-2020 i can tell you exactly why this happened:

1. The TD team explicitly decided in 2017 that Slam and Classic should be locked at 5 tiers, as that was better for the health of the tournament² . This philosophy has clearly changed this year with the addition of a sixth open to Slam.

2. The TD team at that time explicitly didn't care about tier representation³ . Which also has obviously changed evidenced by the fact that an entire tournament that no one joins was created to placate doubles after it was removed from Slam/SPL

3. Despite the idea that tournaments didn't owe anyone representation prevailing, the faction that thinks that representation is necessary, which has always existed, was sated by the fact that ORAS was in tour. The fact that gen 9 is in the horizon changes this, too.

With these changes in philosophy in mind, we can draw some conclusions:

1. ORAS has to have tournament representation, because tier representation matters.

2. Classic, sister tour to Slam, can support 6 tiers, as Slam supports 6 tiers.

3. Classic's reason for existing is to have a place to play old gen OU's, that can't be played elsewhere, a definition ORAS will meet in a few months.

Presented with these facts, it is beyond obvious to me that the path of least resistance and which has minimal disruption is using Classic, as it was always intended, to give ORAS representation, as opposed to changing Smogon Tour, a tour that's already future proofed and with an established and distinct identity. I'm assuming i don't need to explain why taking the path of least resistance is desirable.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I can't fathom how disingenuous/ignorant you have to be to convince yourself that megas, defog and ghost/dark type differences (or the fucking sprites) holds a candle to the amount of difference TEAM PREVIEW or THE PHYSICAL/SPECIAL SPLIT or ABILITIES AND THE 508 EV LIMIT introduced. none of these gens are that similar, if you think about it for 2 seconds but bw/oras are far closer than anything else, as team preview is a far bigger change than anything else, if that was relevant at all, which it isn't, because the soul of the tournament was never about having 5 tiers that were similar to each other.
That's kinda the point. The classic gens can be characterized by the significant mechanical differences between them. In contrast, the mechanical differences between gens 6, 7, and 8 are miniscule in comparison, so it makes sense to keep them grouped together. It's undeniable that someone who plays gen 6 at a high level is more likely to be adept at gens 7 and 8 than at gens 1 through 5. The current Smogon Tour and Classic formats are surely not the only factors that cause this.

Furthermore, what would be your plan when gen 10 rolls around; have 7 tiers in Classic? And 8 after that? This is not sustainable.

A Mathematical Proof

1) Changing ST is evidently undesirable, as it is Good and we don’t wanna rock the boat

2) 1-5 Classic is evidently undesirable because it excludes ORAS, a rather new generation

3) 1-6 Classic is undesirable because
- it increases workload, joining 6 cups is optimal even with a smaller BFL
- 90% of series will strike RBY
- it is unsustainable long term

4) A 2-6 Classic is the path of least resistance, using Luigi terminology
- If gen 10 is released, GSC would be cut

I do not hate on rby and want to remove it because it’s bad. It simply does not have room in our tournament circuit, and is the oldest generation.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Furthermore, what would be your plan when gen 10 rolls around; have 7 tiers in Classic? And 8 after that? This is not sustainable.
We will beat our heads when the time comes, there's no reason to think about it now as there's no way to futureproof it anyway (and anyone thinking that we'll not see any more threads in tour policy for future gen10 issues should be mocked in public)
1) Changing ST is evidently undesirable, as it is Good and we don’t wanna rock the boat
contrary to what I said days ago yeah stour works as it is and its a miracle that it does please dont ruin it by changing the formula we already have enough complains about the first weekly tour's time every stour
3) 1-6 Classic is undesirable because
- it increases workload, joining 6 cups is optimal even with a smaller BFL
- 90% of series will strike RBY
- it is unsustainable long term
I get this but this is honestly a problem with the format itself, which for a lot of people is felt right now and a 1-6 classic would probably only make it worse,, that's all true
but at this point fix the format before axing a tier away (well, I guess there's no perfect solution to that reading the 2021 thread about Slam and Classic, but id still point towards a format change before removing a tier, even if said tier is RBY we shouldn't point towards isolating it)

If I had to give it a preference I'd say add ORAS to Classic > every other solution, and then worry about redefining Classic if need (since its already the worst tournament of a lot of people as far as I'm reading, anyway)

but anyway there's no solution that won't raise complaints (some actually valid, some not) so uhhh good luck

also please make an actual effort in fixing Classic if you're bothered by the problems of said tour that already exist

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
4) A 2-6 Classic is the path of least resistance, using Luigi terminology
- If gen 10 is released, GSC would be cut

I do not hate on rby and want to remove it because it’s bad. It simply does not have room in our tournament circuit, and is the oldest generation.
Me when "path of least resistance" means exising the most classic community

I knew this was gonna be brought up. While phasing out RBY looks pleasing aesthetically, it's also peak out-of-touch bureaucracy. It completely disregards the gigantic increase in playerbase RBY has experienced in the past few years and the sheer activity it sees on the forums and elsewhere alike shows that in full. It's one of the most-played old gens and brings a lot to on-site tournaments in 2022, with every tour that includes it seeing tons of sign-ups. Even the biggest RBY deniers can see that nowadays: the playerbase is still going up every day and shows no signs of slowing down.

With your methodology, you would end up cutting ADV in the next couple of years, which is yet another generation that is absurdly popular. I strongly believe that you would have almost violent resistance that only grows more fiery as DPP eventually gets the axe. Are these not the "perfect" old gens in the eyes of many? Is this not why people become old gen enthusiasts? You'll end up seeing dwindling players as you end up with a lot of similar generations from ORAS over to (presumably) SCVI that will likely have homogenous playerbases. This is why they are not as active, because they are usually focused on CG. This is not always the case, but it's a common enough one for me to care to note. You're not reaching any "compromise" with your mentality, because every compromise you make ends up dealing massive damage to at least one community.

This is not a long-term sustainable solution at all. You are quite literally asking for the tournament to slowly rot away. This is CLASSIC, man! Where's the identity going? In the gutter!

You could argue "Well, let's not go down that slope, let's stop phasing out come GSC and worry about other gens later!" but I think we both know what that actually means: you don't want a long-term solution, you want something else. Not sure what that would be, but maybe you could answer that if I'm hitting the nail on the head right now.

With that said, I think we can see that making cuts is not the solution. Let's look at expansion options to see how this could work instead.

Looking at Luigi's neat little homework...
"Luckily, Ciele had some ideas to fix it, and his variations what I'm here to propose today. I'm proposing a Grand Slam-style tournament that consists of every non-current generation OU metagame. Let's look at how this fixes the issues that prevented this tournament from coming into existence." ¹

"Second off, the most recent Grand Slam took on a 6th tier, Doubles, despite ultimately being best of 5 in the playoffs - you're allowed to play all but one (5/6 in this case) of the slams and in the playoffs, the higher seed picks which tier is left out. As of right now, we have 5 past generations so it comes out cleanly for a best of 5, but GS formatting works perfectly for when generation 7 arrives and ORAS becomes a past gen that would be included in the tournament." ¹
We see that including all non-current old gens is the intention for Classic. It's in the name: Smogon Classic. Is RBY so old that it's not even classic anymore? I don't believe the intentions behind Classic have changed, but if we're looking at ORAS, it seems some people's perceptions of the tour are rooted in the pre-Mega era of Pokemon. I will agree with others on the significant changes ORAS brought, but I also think this is just sort of irrelevant? Why does it have to be one or the other here? Both gens are pretty fantastic and I certainly remember ORAS OU fondly - even considered picking it back up a few times myself, actually.

Now, I like to propose solutions when I'm complaining about problems, but I'm not confident in what I have. I'll shoot my shot regardless, though, maybe these ideas could lead somewhere.

PvK's Classic A: JUST ADD ORAS!
Do it raw. No condom. Shove ORAS in. It'll be fine!

There is no actual issue with it that I can see. I think that as it stands a 1-6 Classic wouldn't actually hurt anyone right now. I am probably missing something but with some people doing the most insane stuff for a badge there's enough exploitable people on the site willing to host a 6th Classic.

PvK's Classic B: Chuck SM in too. Chaos.
If the issue is it being uneven or something, why not include both ORAS and SM in Classic, which keeps the odd number of generations? You even get the playerbase overlap advantage there, which seems neat and helps newer players reach playoffs. Keep in mind, the older a gen gets, the heavier the top gets. This even keeps to the spirit of what the original intention of Classic was! This results in harsher managerial conditions but I think it's fine.

PvK's Classic C: Divisions!
If there truly is no room, maybe split it to RBY-ADV with the rest in another? I think someone suggested this before to little fanfare, but hear me out! You get a neat little Game Boy circuit; the "Game Boy Division" if you will, then DPP-ORAS - the "DS Division" - for an even split between 6 gens. This would reduce playoffs to a BO3 each, but maybe this could culminate into something else...somehow. I've not thought that far, someone mind doing the thinking for me there? This sounds really cool.

Anyway, this gives an opportunity to stagger the tournaments between different parts of the year, reducing the workload for tournament hosts to some degree, which could be beneficial from a managerial standpoint.

Given we have 7 Old Gens with an 8th looking to enter boomer status, you could even argue for a clean split between the gens if you want some illusion of consistency. Could complicate the Best of X bits though, which is why I think BO3 RBY-ADV and BO5 DPP-SWSH playoffs would be ideal if you go down that route. Buuut, this is a pretty insane change to the format, so I understand if this is seen as unviable, but maybe it's worth giving a shot once SCVI drops.

--

Random bullshit go? Yes! Something has to stick eventually.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any time someone wants to cut a gen (whether it be my precious RBY or something else) it takes a year off my lifespan.

Anyway, it seems to me that everyone is trying to mess with the current tournament formats. Genuine question, is there a reason why we can’t just… make a new major tournament? Besides tournament fatigue, I’ll give you that. Idk here’s what I was thinking:

Gen 9:
Smogon Classic: RBY, GSC, ADV, DPP, BW
Smogon Throwback: ORAS, SM, SWSH
Smogon Tour: SM, SWSH, SV

Gen 10:
Smogon Throwback: ORAS, SM, SWSH, SV
Smogon Tour: SWSH, SV, Gen10

Gen 11:
Smogon Throwback: ORAS, SM, SWSH, SV, Gen10
Smogon Tour: SV, Gen10, Gen11

This idea keeps Smogon Classic as is (gens 1-5), keeps Smogon Tour as is (current gen plus last two), and gives middle gens representation as well through the “Smogon Throwback” tournament.

It might be a little awkward at spots since there’s overlap between Smogon Throwback and Smogon Tour, and in Gen 10 the Smogon Throwback would have four gens instead of an odd number, but hey I’m just trying my best here.

I’m no tournament expert so let me know if there’s any major issues with adding another major tournament, whether it be “ahh it’s a scheduling nightmare” or “ahh how will we find hosts” or “ahh your format is somehow even worse than anything proposed so far”or whatever. I was just spitballing an idea to try and make everyone happy

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
instead of coming up with constantly altering tournament formats and crowding the ridiculous compulsive tour circuit we have even further, we should simply start cutting certain generations out of the tour circuit and admit our model is not sustainable given pokemon's expanding nature. are we going to keep stacking gens to classic when eventually the time comes? make a third smogon tour? spl has already presented the solution of natural attrition of generations and we should extrapolate that model into the general tour circuit. we don't need to play semantics about the 'mechanical differences' between generations and establish some theoretical base beyond: we will absolutely eventually need to retire certain generations to sustain a playable format.

classic is not defined by mechanical similarities, it is defined by a aesthetic period of smogon's history pre-pokemon showdown. that is why it is a 'classic' tournament, showcasing an era of smogon tournaments which preceded the modern smogon era. other tours are defined by direct tiering objectives. nonetheless, altering either of these formats and trying to compensate by swapping them around compromises their identity and competitive format. sure some people will mald over the cutting of generations -- but who cares? you're going to have a community throw a fit every time somebody questions their tier's eligibility whether on competitive or clerical grounds. of all the suggestions of reformatting the tour format the best one is probably phoopes' b/c he keeps as many formats intact as possible. smogon throwback may be a joke of a tour like snake with no identity and will face the same diminishing returns but if we decide that faux inclusivity trumps a real methodology to tournaments like we do with tiering then do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)