Gen 7 [GEN 7 OU] I try to make good Beedrill-mega

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hello, like you can read on the title, the goal with this team is to try to make a bad pokemon useful in OU. For this time, the choosen one is Beedril-mega. To present the team, we will separate the thread in three parts:

I- A presentation of Beedrill-mega

II- The teambuilding process

III-An analyse of the team (weakness and strenght)

Let's begin with the first part.

I- A presentation of Beedrill-mega

1595857522009.png
Beedrill-mega is a Bug-Poison pokemon. For the stats, we have:
-HP : 65
-Attack : 150
-Defense : 40
-Sp.Attack : 15
-Sp.Def : 80
-Speed : 145
Talent: Adaptality
As you can see, Beedrill-mega is the embodiment of a glass cannon. He has High attack/speed with an inexistant bulk (at least he can take some hit on the special). This pokemon is very hard to use in OU. His dual type is extremly bad (a lot of pokemon resist his two stabs), he's very frail to Stealth Rock and Rocky Helmet and even for his natural resistance, he will take a lot of damage (so he has literally no durability). Let's summarize the principal threat of Beedrill-mega:

-Ground-type: of course, Beedrill-mega is unable to tounch the ground-type. Even worse, because of his poor movepool, he can nothing against ground-fly pokemon. In this category, the most prominent threat is Landorus-therian. There are two sets of Landorus-therian that are very dangerous for the bee: the defensif and the choice scarf. For the defensif, Beedrill-mega can never hope to deal enough cheap damage to kill him. For the choice scarf, Beedrill-mega has not enough speed to outspeed Landorus-therian with his most popular spread. Indead, Landorus-therian is probably one of the major reason of why Beedrill-mega can never hope to shine in OU (this is the same observation for Gliscor but this last does not have the popularity of Landorus-therian).

-Psychic-type: One name for this category: Alakazam-mega. Alakazam-mega outspeed Beedrill-mega. But this is not just that. Alakazam-mega has the talent trace (he can copy the talent of the opponent pokemon). Thus, when Alakazam-mega come to threat Beedrill-mega, you give Alakazam the talent Adaptality. And, of course, i do not need to tell you how much frightening Alakazam can be with a boost of 50% on his main stab.

-Steel-type: Apart Heatran (Beedrill-mega has ground-type move), all the steel-type pokemon of the OU meta has no risk to switch on Beedrill-mega.

Even if this pokemon has so many other weakness, i think we have the essential three. Now that we unravel a little the pokemon, let's continue on the second parts.

II- The teambuilding process

In this part, i will detail how i process to build my team.
1595857522009.png
Of course, the start of the team was Beedrill-mega (I remind that we choose the pokemon just for the challenge and not really for his power).
1595859519686.png1595857522009.png
First of all, I think Magnezone is mandatory with Beedrill-mega. The reason is very simple, Magnezone is the only one that can trap steel-type pokemon and make sure to kill them without any risk. However, we can notice that Magnezone can't trap pokemon with move like U-turn and Volt Switch. Thus, be aware that Scizor-mega is not always a free kill and Magearna is absolutly not manage by Magnezone.

1595857522009.png1595859519686.png1595860199652.png
Then, if you notice, the combo of Magnezone and Beedrill-mega is very weak against Heatran (and against fire-type in general). Thus, Tapu fini is probably one of the best check for Heatran (be aware that Heatran can run a z-grass move).

1595857522009.png1595859519686.png1595860199652.png1595860010069.png
As i said in the first part, Landorus-therian is very problematic for Beedrill-mega. Thereby, Landorus-therian is a good answer againt the other Landorus.

1595857522009.png1595859519686.png1595860199652.png1595860010069.png1595860150543.png
Like Landorus-therian, you need to have something to check psychic-type, particular Alakazam-mega. This is probably one of the most unsure choice in this teambuilding because, in my opinion, all the best check for Alakazam-mega are Steel-type (I really hesitate between Jirachi and Magearna). The problem with that is the fact that Tapu fini is the only who can currently check fire-type pokemon. Thus, be aware how precious Tapu fini is against the match up of pokemon like Heatran, Victini or Charizard-X.

1595857522009.png1595859519686.png1595860199652.png1595860010069.png1595860150543.png1604331650345.png
Victini gives us a second fire-type resist. Moreover, and you will see latter, i will give him the choice scarf. Thus, Victini will give more speed controls for the team.

Now that we detail the teambuilding process, let's continue to the third part.

III-An analyse of the team (weakness and strenght)

Before analyse the team, we will show all the set and explain why they look like that.

1595857522009.png
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance/Knock Off
I don't need to really explain why Poison Jab and U-turn is mandatory with the bee. One of the most quality of Beedrill-mega is to deal the most powerful U-turn of the entire meta. Poison Jab is his second stab (we don't have the slot for another bug-type move apart U-turn). Drill Run is also mandatory because, without this move, we can't beat Heatran. For the last move, you can choose between Swords Dance/Knock Off. To be honest, i'm not a big fan of Knock Off because, most of the time, each time i have the occasion to use Knock Off, i prefer instead to use U-turn because with Beedrill-mega, momentum is very important to conserve. This is why i prefer Swords Dance because, depending of the state of the opponent team, you can maybe put a Swords Dance and clean the rest of his team.

1595859519686.png
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
The classic Magnezone. Before explain the set, i choose the Specs over the Scarf because i consider that even with the scarf, Magnezone is still too slow and unable to deal good damage. With Specs, he will deal better damage against Toxapex, Magearna and Zapdos. For the move, Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are his main stabs. Volt Switch allows to keep the momentum. Hidden Power [Fire] is mandatory to kill pokemon like Ferrothorn and Scizor.

1595860199652.png
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt
This set is pretty good because, not only he checks most of all fire-type pokemon (be aware of Jirachi with Bolt Strike), he can be useful against Stall. Indeed, with Moonblast, he can defeat Sableye-mega. Defog is very needed because, as i already said, hazards are very problematic for the team. Taunt is a nice move to prevent a set-up or/and a heal against crucial defensif pokemon (Like prevent a roost from Gliscor). Scald is mandatory because, as Tapu fini is a defensif pokemon, Scald, not only he deal some cheap damage, he can inflict burn on some physical pokemon (Mawile-mega is always a good target to scald). For the spread, you can sacrifice some speed to put more SpecialDef. As a consequence, you will have a better match up against ash-greninja.

1595860010069.png
Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
The spread are here to conciliate speed with bulk. Earthquake is obvious as a main stab. U-turn allows to keep the momentum. Of course, a good team need to have the Steath Rock. For me, the Flyinium is mandatory with this set because, even if i don't said before, the match up against Pinsir-mega and Hawlucha is very complicated. But, after using more this team, i prefer in general Rockium Z. Rockium is a better tools to defeat pokemon such as Celesteela. So, apart if you are sure that your opponent play Hawlucha, it's better to stick with Rockium.

1604331650345.png
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Trick
To be honest, i'm not much a fan of victini choice scarf (before, i was playing serperior choice scarf). But, after more test with the team, indeed, victini is a better scarfer than serperior. Perhaps he didn't improve the match-up against rain, but, for the other match-ups, he will show is usefulness. Not only give us more tools agaist steel-type pokemon, Victini, with u-turn, let the team to have more momentum (which is very important with beedrill). Moreover, we play beedrill with swords dance. So, Victini, with trick and final gambit, can nullify the pokemon that prevent the potential sweep from beedrill.

1595860150543.png
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
This is the pokemon which i'm the most unsure. Not only because there is another good option (Jirachi for example), in my opinion, Magearna can maybe lead to more weakness than benefit (in exchange for a better match up against Tapu lele and Alakazam-mega, we become more weaker against fire-type pokemon). Secondly, i'm not sure if this is the correct set for Magearna. I hesitate with two sets, the one with the assault vest and the one with heat swap + plain split. After playing more this team, i ultimatly prefer the second set. The set with the assault vest has the same like rotom-wash defog: without plai split, you have no way to heal yourself and, eventually, your pokemon is easily worn until his death. Thus, the second set is better because you can much more durability with the pain split.

Now we detail all the set, let me summarize the weakness and the strenghts of the team.

Weakness:

-This team has no really good way to deal with ground-type pokemon. If you encounter a Landorus-therian defensif, you will have a hard time to manage to beat this pokemon. Indead, in general, all ground-type are problematic because you don't have really good way to remove the most defensif of them (Expect to have a bad match up against Landotus-Therian, Hippowdon and Gliscor).

-In general, you really lack of offensif presence. Thereby, you will also have great difficulty to beat Stall team. Even if you manage to keep momentum, trap steel-type with Magnezone, keep the hazard control and prevent the heal with taunt, because of this poor offensif presence, Stall will never be a simple opponent.

-Tapu Fini is too important in this team. If the opponent identify the fact that Tapu Fini is your only good fire resistance, he will easily pressure Tapu Fini and you will have difficulty to really drive freely the team. Be always aware of how important is Tapu fini (and how you MUST keep his leftovers).

-This team will never be very good because Beedrill-mega is so weak against hazards (and the Rocky Helmet) that you will be constanly pressure by the hazard wars and, eventually, you will never manage to have a decent use of Beedrill-mega.

-Strenghts:

-Victini + Magnezone + Beedrill-mega is a good offensif core that can win matchs.

-In general, even if this team has a lot of so-so match up, he don't have desastrous ones.

Overall: this team is a 5/10. I don't think we can make this team better. Hope
that I am wrong for the sake of the bee.

This is all for my team. Feel free to give me advice to improve my team. I got correct results with this team (consider i'm only at 1600-1700 in the ladder). Thanks for the attention you will give for my post.

Attachments

Last edited:
If I had a team, I would have Gallade. He would be able to Mega evolve. His Ability is his hidden ability. His Moveset is Swords dance, Hidden Power Poison,Drain punch and psycho cut. My next team member is a starter, which will be primirina. Their held item is their Z Crystal and they will have Liquid voice as their ability. I am not 100% sure about their moveset so here is all the types I need
Water
Fairy
Normal
Ice
Next team member is Gengar. It can't Mega because its Mega evolution is in the uber tier. It will have a air balloon To evade Ground types. It will have hidden Power ice if its balloon is popped. And then Shadow ball and Sludge bomb for S.T.A.B (Same Type attack bonus) and then a Setup move.
I would get clefable next. Unlike the rest of my team, It would be a Status Inflictor. That means it will have NO attacking moves, so the only way it could do damage is if it struggles. It will have Light Screen, Reflect, Toxic and protect. A Defensive Toxic Staller, a Technique used by many competitive battlers.
Next, I will have a deoxys.
It will be in its Attack form so I can dish out as much damage as possible. Essentially, he's a glass cannon.
He will have Psycho Boost, Psychic, Calm mind and a Move that increases physical attack. It will hold a Assault Belt as most Ghost Attacks are Special.
Lastly I would have Milotic.
It will have waterium Z as its item. It will have ice Beam. Hydro Pump, A Ground attack, and a way to recover Health.

Victini>serperior

Serperior is one of the worst scarfers in this metagame, if u predict bad or ur opponent has a heatran u will be in a bad spot no matter what. Victini helps with the volt-turn core, can trick and it can even final gambit a mon that stops beedrill for sweeping.

DIYUSI

formerly KaiserKaiba
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I write this post to show the main changes of the team:
Serperior Choice Scarf -> Victini Choice Scarf
Landorus Flyium Z -> Landorus Rockium Z
Magearna AV -> Margeane Heart Swap + Plain Split

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)