Gen 5 Little Cup Team - - Critique Needed

This is what I have come up with for a competitive Little Cup team. I feel like all these pokemon are solid choices bar Meowth, as I may replace him with Machop.

Otherwise, the only other issue I have is putting Eviolite on the correct pokemon...with the item clause on I can't obviously have 2 like items.

Murkrow

Nature: Careful
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 100 Def / 184 Sp. Def
Item: Eviolite
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
Roost
Drill Peck

I've always loved the Parafusion strategy. This can be gimmicky but as soon as the opponent can't move due to Paralysis and Confuse Ray, they might as well flip a table and kiss their pokemon goodbye. Priority Roost is amazing with this set as it aims to be just defensive enough to set up Parafusion.

Cubone

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Sp. Def / 236 Speed
Item: Thick Club
Moves:
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Swords Dance
Double-Edge

The purpose of this set is to take advantage of Baton Passes from Buizel. He isn't as speedy, granted. So even by himself with Thick Club and Swords Dance he can still tank some physical hits and OHKO stuff. No recoil on Double-Edge is very nice as well.

Misdreavus

Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 120 Def / 80 Sp. Def / 240 Speed
Item: Life Orb
Moves:
Will-O-Wisp
Heal Bell
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt // Hidden Power Fighting

This set utilizes some of Misdreavus' bulk while also being able to be a considerable offensive force. Heal Bell is to alleviate status teams. Hidden Power Fighting may also be swapped for if my metagame gets a weakness to Fighting type attacks. Will-O-Wisp also helps lower the damage Misdreavus takes from physical threats.

Buizel

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Sp. Def / 236 Speed
Item: Oran Berry
Moves:
Baton Pass
Agility
Return
Waterfall

I took Krabby out so I could have a better passer while not sharing weaknesses. Waterfall hits lots of things for neutral after I set up boosts. He may/may not get Eviolite instead so I can guarantee more boosts as well. Return is there to hit things that resist his Waterfall.

Ferroseed

Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 Sp. Def
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed

Decidedly a better Stealth Rocker than my Onix, I decided to throw him in. Ferroseed family has always been one of the top walls since their debut and for good reason: Eviolite drops this sucker's defenses through the roof at 22 / 28 / 25. Leech Seed along with Iron Barbs is deadly and thanks to Leech Seed's mechanics Ferroseed's low HP gains immensely from this. Gyro Ball also hits very hard. I have considered using Protect though I don't know what to take out for it. This set seems very -solid-.

Munchlax

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Sp. Def
Moves:
Fire Punch
Earthquake
Return
Focus Punch

A point was made where I could not tank special hits on a previous version of this team, so he's here to patch that up. He does what Snorlax does -- tank hits and proceed to tear holes in most pokemon. Eviolite helps immensely as he needs to tank a lot so his 4 attacks set goes to full effect.

OVERVIEW:

I have considered taking Murkrow out for something, though he seems like a solid status spreader and honestly the only reason I'd take him out is for No Guard Machop -- a set I have listed below.

Basically it's all up in the air. I will be facing a local LC Sand Stream team so that is something to note. Otherwise all critique is appreciated.

I HAVE CONSIDERED:

Onix

Nature: Careful
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 Sp. Def
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Dragon Tail
Stone Edge
Protect

This makes him my lead. A reliable Stealth Rock user and can scout with Protect. Dragon Tail can swap pokemon out after Stealth Rock has been laid to rack up residual damage. Stone Edge is there as a reliable STAB for both passes passed to it and general power.

Machop

Nature: Jolly
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Speed
Item:
Moves:
Dynamic Punch
Ice Punch
Rock Slide
Payback

Last edited:
There is no item clause on Little Cup. And why is Meowth holding an item with covet? Use Normal Gem over Silk Scarf.

My Chinchou here, pretty much defeats your whole team - all by itself. Misderavus can weaken it, and Meowth can steal its Eviolite but both will likely die in the process. Also, a full health Cubone wins if it doesn't get burned.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level: 5
EVs: 132 Def / 228 SDef / 60 Spd / 76 HP
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Heal Bell / Discharge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

There's another problem for your team, majority of your team is Physically Bulky yet lacking in Special Bulk, don't worry, I have the perfect Pokémon for you to patch up those weaknesses.

Say hello to Munchlax. :)

Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 SDef / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch / Pursuit

Obviously, the Pokémon you should replace is Meowth, the weakest link of the team.

This is Munchlax's flagship set this generation(ie little explanation needed). Hits hard, tanks special hits very well and reliably disposes the pesky Chinchou I said earlier. I recommend Focus Punch because your team can have a hard time with Lileep, but Pursuit is still viable, because Misdreavus is just so good.

While burn can be a problem, I don't recommend using a RestTalk set because you have only one move for coverage, without Fire Punch, Ferroseed will lay Spikes all day long and without Earthquake, Tirtouga and other Rock types will have its way on you. Not using STAB means Munchlax is lackluster against neutral threats.

Speaking of Burn, I recommend changing Misdreavus moves to:

Nastly Plot --> Heal Bell

Thunderbolt --> Hidden Power Fighting

Teams are ruined by status and using Heal Bell allievates this somewhat. The second change is more of a personal preference, but HP is recommended to hit Normal/Dark types. You don't really need another BPass reciever, Cubone is a reason enough to use BPass.

Another minor suggestion is to use Return/Frustration over Bulk Up on Buziel, to hit Pokémon that resist water like Crougank, you won't be using Bulk Up a lot anyway.

Based on how you speak, it seems you haven't used this team a lot, most people don't rate teams that people hardly used, you should be thankful someone is nice enough to rate. All I am saying is, if you want people to rate this team, use it enough first before putting it on RMT.

Last edited:
There is no item clause on Little Cup. And why is Meowth holding an item with covet? Use Normal Gem over Silk Scarf.

My Chinchou here, pretty much defeats your whole team - all by itself. Misderavus can weaken it, and Meowth can steal its Eviolite but both will likely die in the process. Also, a full health Cubone wins if it doesn't get burned.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 132 Def / 228 SDef / 60 Spd / 76 HP
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Heal Bell / Discharge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

There's another problem for your team, majority of your team is Physically Bulky yet lacking in Special Bulk, don't worry, I have the perfect Pokémon for you to patch up those weaknesses.

Say hello to Munchlax. :)

Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 SDef / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch / Pursuit

Obviously, the Pokémon you should replace is Meowth, the weakest link of the team.

This is Munchlax's flagship set this generation(ie little explanation needed). Hits hard, tanks special hits very well and reliably disposes the pesky Chinchou I said earlier. I recommend Focus Punch because your team can have a hard time with Lileep, but Pursuit is still viable, because Misdreavus is just so good.

While burn can be a problem, I don't recommend using a RestTalk set because you have only one move for coverage, without Fire Punch, Ferroseed will lay Spikes all day long and without Earthquake, Tirtouga and other Rock types will have its way on you. Not using STAB means Munchlax is lackluster against neutral threats.

Speaking of Burn, I recommend changing Misdreavus moves to:

Nastly Plot --> Heal Bell

Thunderbolt --> Hidden Power Fighting

Teams are ruined by status and using Heal Bell allievates this somewhat. The second change is more of a personal preference, but HP is recommended to hit Normal/Dark types. You don't really need another BPass reciever, Cubone is a reason enough to use BPass.

Another minor suggestion is to use Return/Frustration over Bulk Up on Buziel, to hit Pokémon that resist water like Crougank, you won't be using Bulk Up a lot anyway.

Based on how you speak, it seems you haven't used this team a lot, most people don't rate teams that people hardly used, you should be thankful someone is nice enough to rate. All I am saying is, if you want people to rate this team, use it enough first before putting it on RMT.
Thank you for still helping. I am relatively new to at least smogon forums so forgive me on my assumption.

Anyhow, I have recognized that Meowth is weakest and the main reason I wanted him was for nostalgia. But I don't really have room for novelty. I definitely see now that specials were a huge threat to what I originally posted so thanks for pointing out that.

Also what do you think of Ferroseed in the place of Onix? He seems like he's just as defensive with more resistances and another form of entry hazard.

Machop also seems somewhat good too, though at this point I don't know who I would take out. I feel like No Guard Dynamic Punch is also nice to recieve a pass from but that Thick Club with its type coverage seems pretty amazing too. I also thought about replacing Murkrow with him too but he feels necessary to scare out Mienfoo and co.

Ferroseed is always a good addition, but before putting Onix into obscurity, it has some advantages, albeit only small ones, but you decide who is a better fit.

I think Ferroseed is a better fit though, as it doesn't share redundant typing.

Keep Murkrow, it's the best Pokémon in LC for a good reason. Like, the best Pokémon to scare fighting types and many more.

Ferroseed is always a good addition, but before putting Onix into obscurity, it has some advantages, albeit only small ones, but you decide who is a better fit.

I think Ferroseed is a better fit though, as it doesn't share redundant typing.

Keep Murkrow, it's the best Pokémon in LC for a good reason. Like, the best Pokémon to scare fighting types and many more.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. He is too good to take out. I just don't know if I need No Guard Dynamic Punch...I feel like I might but Idk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)