Gen 1 Gen 1 NU - Abra be Countering teams

Here, I wanted to make a team built around Abra. I know it is unlikely that Abra will do well due to the low HP and Def stats but I thought it would be fun to try regardless. The team has been fairly successful with a record of 3-1 so far but I feel it can do with a bit more tweaking still so any advice that can be given will be greatly appreciated :]

:rb/mr. mime: :rb/abra: :rb/nidoking: :rb/clefable: :rb/moltres: :rb/kingler:

:rb/Mr. Mime:
Ability: No Ability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Psychic
- Seismic Toss
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

I have Mr. Mime as my dedicated lead for this team as it can get a fast para on the opponent and can also threaten out opposing Poliwhirls with Thunderbolt as they potentially miss their hypnosis as well as crippling anything else with Thunder Wave now that Rapidash has been dropped to the PU tier. Psychic is standard for Mr. Mime and is his strongest move thanks to the STAB bonus and the potential Special drops it can get which can force out opposing Pokemon. Seismic Toss is on the set because it is Mime's best option to hit opposing Mr. Mime and Exeggcute. Thunderbolt is mainly here for the tier's water type Pokemon such as Blastoise as well as potential paralysis on switch-ins. Thunder Wave is useful for the team as it enables the sweepers to have a better chance at setting up for a sweep while also outspeeding thanks to the speed drop from paralysis.

:rb/Abra:
Ability: Synchronize
IVs: 30 HP
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Counter

Abra is the ace of this team and is what I have tried to build the team around. Regardless of it's low HP and Def stats, Abra still hits hard with Psychic which is personally the only viable offensive attack for Abra and if it can live a body slam it can hit back with a counter and get some surprise damage off on the opponent. Counter also helps if the opponent is paralysed and has KOd one of my Pokemon the previous turn with hyper beam for example as Abra can come in and if they are fully paralysed, Counter will hit for some decent damage then as well. Thunder Wave is also on Abra due to being able to outspeed the majority of the tier still and speed tie with others, potentially spreading more paralysis for the sweepers later in the game. Reflect was also chosen to lower the damage Abra takes from physical attacks which could help it's longevity just enough to secure a KO with Psychic/Counter.

:rb/Nidoking: (M)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Rock Slide

I decided to go for Nidoking as my ground type as not only can it absorb Thunder Waves from my opponent but can also act as a sweeper during mid to late-game. Blizzard is to hit opposing ground-types as well as grass/flying-type Pokemon but can also be used to attempt a potential freeze on the opponent which in RBY means that Pokemon is no longer useable. EQ is there as my main STAB move and hits a lot of Pokemon hard. Thunderbolt is for opposing water-types and to look for a potential paralysis on switch-ins. Rock Slide is on the set for flying types who look to evade my EQ as well as any bug-types used by the opponent.

:rb/Clefable:
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Clefable is another paralysis spreader for the team and can check opposing Mr. Mimes and beat them 1v1 without crits. Body slam is our STAB move and is the best option to hit Mr. Mime and paralysing ground types. Blizzard can help deal more damage to grass/flying/rock and ground Pokemon in the tier and can look for a potential freeze also. Thunderbolt is to help further with opposing water type Pokemon and Thunder wave is to help spread paralysis to help the rest of my team more. Clefable is personally one of my favourite Pokemon to use in the tier as it is versatile and is bulky enough to take hits before hitting back for decent damage or crippling them with Thunder wave.

:rb/Moltres:
Serious Nature
- Fire Blast
- Fire Spin
- Hyper Beam
- Toxic

Moltres helps the team take special attacks and can even take water and electric type attacks if needed which is useful as it can get a toxic off and proceed to use fire spin which will pick up a KO if the opponent stays in due to the damage racked up by toxic. Fire blast is a must for moltres as it is it's strongest STAB move and hits a lot of Pokemon in the tier like a nuke. Fire spin is used to trap opposing Pokemon if needed and help secure a win over troublesome Pokemon. Toxic helps with this as when trapped, the toxic damage still racks up and increases as opposed to when they attack only. This is a great strat in RBY to enable a faster KO via trapping. Hyper beam is our last move to help pick off any weak Pokemon late game if needed.

:rb/Kingler:
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Crabhammer
- Hyper Beam
- Swords Dance

I have chosen Kingler as one of the team's sweepers as it can take hits and hit back hard, especially with a swords dance up. Body slam is a standard move for kingler and helps search for a paralysis on opposing pokemon which further helps Kingler in terms of outspeeding. Crabhammer is Kingler's best STAB move and with the chance to land a critical hit, it makes Kingler a threat to a lot of Pokemon. Hyper beam is to pick off any weakened opponents and Swords dance is on the set to allow us to sweep better late game.

I hope you like the look of this team. I know there are things which can be tweaked still and I look forward to any advice you guys can give!
Below is a link to the team if you would like to try it out for yourself :]
Counter Abra (pokepast.es)

Thanks in advance!

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey! I like Abra in RBY NU, its a cool and genuinely decent pick. The main idea of Abra is that it creates a neat PsySpam core with Mr. Mime, where they can overwhelm teams with paralysis and strong hits. There are a few things I'd consider tweaking though.

:rb/mr. mime:

Mr. Mime is a somewhat middling lead, mainly due to the fact that it is such a valuable mid-game asset that you can't really afford it being crippled against an opposing Mime. I actually think that Abra makes for quite a solid lead alternative, since it does the majority of the things that Mr. Mime can do without having to risk your own Mr. Mime. Speaking of Abra...

:rb/abra:

Reflect / Counter -> Seismic Toss

Seismic Toss is a pretty useful tool for Abra, it lets it deal with stuff that would otherwise wall it, mainly Mr. Mime and Exeggcute. Out of the two moves I put to replace, I would probably remove Counter, as Reflect can be helpful in some match ups, namely vs. Nidoking. Counter is typically just a hard move for such a frail Pokemon like Abra to pull off consistently outside of Countering, say, a Seismic Toss. But of course, it is up to personal discretion!

Other than that, this seems like a very solid team! The abusers of paralysis are very much at home here and this team looks really fun!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)