Gawd Awful (Peaked 1452)

Hello Smogon! My name is Ethan and Ive been involved with the competitive side of pokemon since June last year when I first Discoverd Pokemon Online. At this point I really had no idea what I was doing and I just used things that I thought were cool. After Discovering Pokegen I started to play on Wifi, and not long ago, I posted my DS wifi team here, and looking back now, it was pretty terrible. I decided that I wanted to improve greatly and I was told that PO was "Necessary" to improve so I started to extensively test teams at the beginning of march under the name "Gawd Awful". During this learning curve, I decided I wanted to build a team around an Expert-Belted Landorus. After alot of testing, I came up with a satisfying team and I managed to take it to 1452 under the name "EthanBC". I now feel I have taken it as far as it is worth so I am posting it here to gain some final improvements before I finish with it altogether.

At a glance:

Replacements

Jellicent replaces Heatran

Team Building:

So I started with the Poke that I wanted to use, and added a TTar because his Sand Stream will boost Landorus' best STAB attack. The first TTar I decided to use was a Bulky CB set.

Seeing as both of these Pokes are physical attackers, I wanted something that could easily handle Skarmory. I added Heatran because he can do just that and has the ability to put up Stealth Rocks.

All of these Pokes are weak to Water-Typed pokemon, so I picked something that can handle them. I chose Virizion because I had never used him previously, for this role I did test Roserade and Bulk Up Breloom but the naturally high SDef of Virizion appealed to me the most.

The four pokes were all weak to Mamoswine, so I needed something that could wall it. Skarmory was the obvious choice because he is a great physical wall in general and has the ability to phaze and set up Spikes.

Finally I wanted a Choice Scarf user. I chose Terrakion because the most common set up sweepers such as; Dnite, Gyara, Volcarona, and Salamence are all outsped by Terrakion even if they are +1.

I eventually made changes to TTar and replaced his CB with a Chople Berry, and gave him a different EV spread. And so the team was born.

Team in depth

Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake: Earthquake is Landorus' strongest STAB move and becomes even more powerful with the boost from Sandstorm.
- U-turn: With Landorus' ability to force away many common pokemon in the meta-game, U-Turn is handy to hit a switch in and bring in an appropriate check/counter. This move also scores an OHKO on Celebi most of the time
- Hidden Power [Ice]: This move is probably the main reason you would use this set as it hits many pokemon who come in thinking your are choice-locked into EQ. These pokes include; Gliscor, Dnite, and Salamence.
- Smack Down: This move is mainly as a filler, I rarely ever use it unless predicted Rotom-W and there are no remaining EQ immunities. This move also is handy if a 1 vs 1 situation is Landorus vs opposing Skarm.
- Landorus' role in the team: With a good moveset and powerful offensive stats Landorus' main job is to punch holes in the opponents team. Looking at many common teams in todays metagame, Landorus has the ability to KO at least 3 out of 6. He can also force away Terrakions if the item is unrevealed and Landorus' is my main check to SD Lucario, being able to survive +2 E-Speeds even after SR. Landorus is also the only Poke in my team with the power to OHKO Jirachi, and Tentacruel.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 88 SDef / 144 SpD
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Crunch: Crunch is the strongest STAB move that you see on a standard TTar (bar the occasional Stone Edge). With a strong attack stat TTar has the power to OHKO Latios, Gengar and Starmie and Crunch is my best hit against Jellicent, Slowbro, Reuniclus and Latias. This move also has the chance to Lower the foe's Defense.
- Pursuit: Pursuit here is just because it can 2HKO Latios even if it isnt switching. It is also useful if I can predict a Volt Switch from the likes of Jolteon and Rotom, or a U-Turn from a landorus.
- Fire Blast: Fire Blast is here because it has the power to OHKO Scizor, unless Occa berry. It can aslo OHKO Forretress and 2HKO Skarmory and Ferrothorn and is useful to hit other Grass types such as Venusaur, and Lilligant.
- Stealth Rock: Stealth Rock is the most important move in the game scoring important chunks of damage on Rotom-W and Landorus everytime they come in. Tyranitar is a solid Stealth Rock user because of its excellent natural bulk, and it has the ability to threaten away common Pokes of the metagame
- Tyranitar's Role in the team: The presence of TTar is rather important as it summons perma-sand which boosts Landorus' STAB Earthquake and gives itself and Terrakion a much appreciated boost in SDef. TTar is my best Switch in to Latios, Latias, Heatran and Gengar. The speed investment allows TTar to outspeed some Scizors, Jellicents, and Skarmory, but with many scizors begining to run alot of speed, the investment is becoming redundant and is discrediting its ability to tank special hits so thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald: Scald is a necessary offensive for any kind of poke, just to prevent being completely crippled by any kind of Taunt user. Scald is also particularly useful because it has the chance to burn an opponents Pokemon.
- Taunt: Taunt prevents Jellicent from becoming set-up fodder to Pokes such as Forry, Skarm and especially Ferrothorn. It also prevents slower pokemon from setting up or Recovering.
- Will-O-Wisp: Will-O-Wisp has a very obvious job. To cripple physical attackers. It also helps with the wearing down of Pokes such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and even Tentacruel. This move is especially useful for Scizor and Ferrothorn.
- Recover: A form of reliable recovery is a necessity for any kind of wall. This move helps Jellicent against Pokes such as Ferrothorn who can potentially hurt Jellicent with super-effective STAB attacks.
- Jellicent's role in the team: This spot was previously occupied by Heatran. Heatran was a valuable team member, but two people suggested that I try Jellicent. After testing this Poke, it really was worth it! Jellicent provides an excellent switch in to Infernape who was previousy a very threatening Poke to my team. Jellicent also can completely wall double priority SD Lucario's who are also major problems if I cant keep Landorus at a good amount of HP. Jellicent is also an excellent stall-breaker and it leaves me ready for the release of Keldeo, lol.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind: Calm Mind is an excellent set-up move that works incredibly well on Virizion because of his ability to switch in on all water types, except a possible Psyshock Starmie, and start setting up or firing off STAB Giga Drain's or Focus Blast's if predicting a Scizor.
- Giga Drain: Giga Drain of course is the necessary STAB move that allows Virizion to nail water types and this is the only move in my team that gets off satisfying on a Donphan. It also acts as a form of recovery which makes CM Virizion even more effective
- Focus Blast: Focus Blast is the secondary STAB move of virizion, the accuracy can be a let down but its a necessary move to hit pokes who resist Giga Drain. At +1 virizion can easily KO CB Scizor and Skarmory after Stealth Rock and the move is super effective against notably Ferrothorn and Heatran.
- Hidden Power [Ice]: Few pokemon in OU are able to resist the Grass + Fight combo, and those who do are weak to Ice. At +1 HP ice can easily OHKO Salamence, Landorus, and it can beat Dragonite after multiscale has been broken. Tornadus is also a common switch in on Virizion, so hitting that for super-effective damge is always useful for wearing it down.
- Virizion's role in the team: Virizions role depends on my opponents team, it's either one of the most important Pokes to keep alive, or death fodder, and not surprisingly the former occurs the majority of the time. Virizion is my dedicated Check and Counter to the ever-present Rotom-w. With its already great SDef, Virizion can set-up on the Majority of water types, and his typing in general is useful for todays Metagame.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes: The most annoying entry hazard in my opinion and Skarmory is very good at setting them up because, like heatran, Skarmory has the ability to come in on many OU Pokemon, but instead of threatening them, he can wall them with Ease.
- Brave Bird: Brave Bird actually packs some excellent power doing alot of damage to common spinners such as Starmie and Tentacruel. It is also useful here as it can OHKO/2HKO the common fighting types that we see.
- Whirlwind: Whirlwind is incredibly important, Troublesome physical set up pokes can cause alot of damage to my team so Whirlwind is here to phaze them away so they lose their boost Effectively keeping them at bay.
- Roost: In order for Skarmory to wall Pokes as well as he does, Roost is a very important mean of reliable recovery, keeping Skarmory alive for longer so he can continue to do the job he does so well.
- Skarmory's role in the team: Skarmory is obviously my Physical wall. If Skarmory wasn't here I probably wouldnt have got as far as I did. He is so important for countering Gyarados and Dragonite, because if they get +2, my scarf Terrakion wont be able to outspeed and revenge kill. Skarmory is able to live a Fire Punch or Waterfall, from +2 D-nite and Gyarados respectively, and then phaze them away so they are not immediate problems. Skarmory also has no trouble Walling Scizor and non-Smack Down Landorus who are common threats of the Metagame.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat: Close Combat is an incredibly poweful STAB move, even without the CB or Life Orb. Its an important move of course for KOing other Terrakions and its my strongest move to be locked into for a late game sweep. Even pokes who resist the move such as Starmie, Latios, and Landorus do not appreciate switching in on this move.
- Stone Edge: Stone Edge is here to hit pokes such as Celebi, Gengar, and Jellicent who otherwise would take little-to-no damage from Close Combat and it also provides a stronger alternative to hit Landorus scoring more than 60% damage.
- Rock Slide: With pokes such as ScarfMence, Gyara, and DNite around, my team is in danger. I NEED them gone, so I can not afford to rely on a Stone Edge for this job. Rock Slide has near-perfect accuracy so it usually hits. There is no need to use any other move here anyway because Earthquake ends up never being pressed.
- X-Scissor: x4 Effective against a Celebi if really needed. Mostly it supplies a better option to hit the likes of Latias, Latios, and Starmie
- Terrakion's role in the team: No detail needed here really: TERRAKION IS MY REVENGE KILLER

So thats the team, its not perfect in any sense of the word but I think it has a simple simple build that's enjoyable to use. If you feel you know any particular threats that are a problem, and you know how I could counter this (i.e a adjustment in a moveset or a replacement in Poke all-together) please do tell me below.

Importable:

Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Smack Down

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 88 SDef / 24 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 232 HP / 16 SAtk / 248 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Hi, Nice team!

I think I already told you this, but you're quit weak to Water and Fighting-type moves. It seems to me that Rain teams, and the likes of opposing Terrakion can give you a whole lot of trouble. For this reason I think you could consider Jellicent, preferably over Heatran. Jellicent is immune to both Fighting and Water moves, making it a perfect solution to the aforementioned threats. As added bonus Jellicent also lets you handle stall much easier, and it also acts as you spin-blocker so you can keep you hazards up. I have an EV-spread of 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spd with a Calm nature in mind and with a moveset of Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Scald / Recover still lets it take on Skarmory, Forretress and even Ferrothorn. You can play around with the moveset though, as Shadow Ball can also fit. Coupled with Terrakion, Landorus and Tyranitar you have Sun teams (and Volcarona) covered well eough, and you still a phazer in Skarmory. Using Jellicent does force you to run Stealth Rock on Tyranitar though. It can fit over one of your Dark-moves, but that's up to you.

I hope this helped, good luck with your team.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
(I really need to start rating faster, I just typed out a massive paragraph on using Jellicent over Heatran only to refresh and see Delko had already suggested it 15 mins earlier fml)

Anyway, your Tyranitar EV spread is really, really inefficient. I suggest you use this set:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 88 SDef / 144 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake / Pursuit.

This EV spread gives you 1 extra point in attack (24 Atk EVs gives a jump point) and a huge extra 14 points in Spd, whilst retaining the same HP, Def, SAtk and SDef. The extra Speed allows you to get the jump on practically any Choice Band Scizor, as well as outspeed the majority of Jellicent, Breloom and 8 Spd SDef Heatran.

I also obviously agree with Delko on the Jellicent suggestion. I played you on ladder yesterday (I was using Wobbuffet Hyper Offense, idk if you remember) and I was pretty much able to sweep with Double Priority Lucario from around turn 5 because atm you have basically nothing for it outside of relying on having a 100% health Landorus for the entire battle. Jellicent patches up the non-Crunch Lucario weakness nicely whilst also being an excellent asset against stall between Taunt and a status move.

You might also want to consider using 28 SAtk EVs on Landorus, which guarantees the OHKO against defensive Gliscor.

Nice team otherwise, good luck!

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Nice pics and nice team. Especially to Virizion <3. They're right about Jellicent, he's the missing link. Change Virizions item to Life Orb Your Giga Drain is gonna heal you and Virizion likes power.

Nice Team!
I'd suggest putting Stealth Rock over Earthquake on Tyranitar and Toxic over Stealth Rock on Heatran. I think these would be great changes and help your team to kill some threats with Toxic.

I actually tried out the changes suggested by Delko and Peng and its been working pretty well

Be careful about Shaymin.

I've seen a couple new sets with Air Slash, HP Fire, Seed Flare, and Rest.

Thats hitting all your pokemon except one with Super Effective.

Be careful bro-han.

I'd suggest rocking a more SpDefensive TTar.

Be careful about Shaymin.

I've seen a couple new sets with Air Slash, HP Fire, Seed Flare, and Rest.

Thats hitting all your pokemon except one with Super Effective.

Be careful bro-han.

I'd suggest rocking a more SpDefensive TTar.
Most Shaymin has Earth Power as oppose to Air Slash so im not really worried about that. Shaymin is still annoying though, to almost all kind of teams.

TML :]
Great team, but you should really be careful of sub SD Terrakion, maybe you could add a Scizor somewhere but not sure where, but it's up to you I guess. :]

Really quick, I just wanna say I LOVE the MSPaint drawings. I wanna see the Heatran one now too, if there was one. xD

=D

Asek

Banned deucer.
Nice looking team, but if you find your not using Landorus's Smack Down consider replacing it with Explosion as a way to eliminate a Poke once His purpose his filled. Also Tyranitar could probably benefit more from a brave nature than a Lonely one as it isnt outspeeding much anyway

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
A Landorus + Terrakion core! Of course I will rate your team!

First off, I hate CM Virizion. It relies on FocusMiss STAB, ewww. Why not just use CM Celebi? Better synergy type wise, and the only thing you lose is speed, but since you have a scarfer, landorus, and built defensively anyways, I don't see the speed investement mattering in the long run.
@

Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
Effort Values: 252 HP / 96 Def / 124 SpA / 36 Spe

~ Calm Mind
~ Psychic / Recover
~ Giga Drain
~ Hidden Power [Fire / Ice]

Reliable STAB, and better reliable recovery. Has good offensive stats as well as defensive and better type synergy. CM Virizion sucks .-. Its just my opinion though, if it works for you, by all means keep it.

For the small changes:

Skarmory: Dump 24 speed evs in Skarmory to outjump other Skarms (win whirlwind war) and so you can outspeed Wobuffuet. Take it out of hp evs of course.

Jellicent: WoW has such bad acc., and I believe your better off with Toxic anyways, since Scald offers you burn. However, some players like the reliablity of WoW since when it hits it offers burn. Totally preference choice here.

Tyranitar: But FLamethrower OHKOs anyways (i run 64 satk on mine, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter.) Replace unreliable acc Fire Blast with Flamethrower.

Landorus: Without another turner, u-turn sucks. Try something else, like Focus Blast or Explosion. If your going w/ Focus Blast, 90 SAtk evs are needed to 2HKO Skarm.

Terrakion: Might want to re-think Rock Slide for something like Earthquake for Toxicroak and Tentacruel, but thats another preference choice.

Solid team, I hope CM Celebi works out (test it under a test alt,) and I wish you luck!

Shutugal

^^ I am going to Try out the Celebi, and also Flamethrower on TTar. U-Turn is a move that is certainly useful as it OHKOs Celebi and can give me the switch initiative. I dont find Toxicroak a big threat at all and I really do need the more reliable stone edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)