Gastrodon

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
All three of them are used so differently.

Quaggy is used to stop/slow down set up sweepers, Gassy stops most water pokemon in their track while Swamppy hits really hard with CB (easily his best set) under the rain.

All are different, stop comparing them please.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
All three of them are used so differently.

Quaggy is used to stop/slow down set up sweepers, Gassy stops most water pokemon in their track while Swamppy hits really hard with CB (easily his best set) under the rain.

All are different, stop comparing them please.
Id actually say that mixpert with stealth rock is a better set than CB but otherwise agreed. Gastrodon is really a great utility counter. it counters things such as thundurus, which is a very large threat in the ou metagame. A lot of people run hp grass on certain pokemon ONLY to hit gastrodon/quaggy. Which says a lot.

Swampert definitely still has its niche in the metagame. Its more then just stealth rocks, but the ability to take hits will from both sides, and to be mixed is nothing to scoff at. If used correctly, Gastrodon and Quag can't compare. Problem is, for 80% of people that use Swampert, that just isn't the case, that’s why people complain.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Swampert definitely still has its niche in the metagame. Its more then just stealth rocks, but the ability to take hits will from both sides, and to be mixed is nothing to scoff at. If used correctly, Gastrodon and Quag can't compare. Problem is, for 80% of people that use Swampert, that just isn't the case, that’s why people complain.
Gastrodon and quaggy have recover and with an ev spread of 212hp 252def 44spdef with a calm nature gastrodon reaches balanced defenses.

edit:specially defensive gastrodon and skarmory make a very hard to break defensive core. they resist each others weaknesses and support each other in different ways.

I have been experimenting with 2 moves on gastrodon that no one has mentioned yet. Sandstorm and HP fire. Since gastrodon counters politoed I send him in and then use sandstorm to get rid of drizzle. HP fire works as a nice counter to ferrothorn when powered up with life orb and max special attack. Sure you have to worry about power whip since gastrodon can't ohko ferrothorn but most ferrothorns won't even bother attacking gastrodon when they see it because they figure he can't do anything to them.

Sandstorm is stupid, use it alongside TTar or Hippo, I ensure you will get better results.

And why the hell are you running a max Sp. Atk LO Gastrodon. That is not what he does, and I can't imagine you having any success with it.

Specs Gastrodon was okay and probably still is, bit since you're meant to be using it in Drizzle then Earth Power > HP Fire for dealing with Ferrothorn. I went through why HP Fire Gastrodon is a bad idea in general in the analysis.

Sandstorm is stupid, use it alongside TTar or Hippo, I ensure you will get better results.

And why the hell are you running a max Sp. Atk LO Gastrodon. That is not what he does, and I can't imagine you having any success with it.
I am actually having alot of success with it. Giving gastrodon life orb gives him the perfect mix of attack and bulk. Using life orb on pokemon with recovery moves is very underrated. Sandstorm on gastrodon is good even if you have a sandstream user because you can't always get the sandstream user on the field since the only pokemon who know that ability are weak to politoeds water attacks. Gastrodon works much better in many cases. You guys should really try these strategies. They work better than you think.

Has anyone tried Sticky Hold instead of Storm Drain? Losing the water immunity is not that bad because Gastrodon has excellent Special Defence. Sticky Hold is a great way to troll all those Rotom running around these days. It means that Gastrodon doesn't have to worry about being crippled by trick from Rotom anymore.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But isn't Storm Drain the entire point of Gastrodon in OU this generation? o_O

Rotom-W is also more-or-less the only notable OU Trick user atm, so it's probably not even as useful as last Gen when Scarf Celebi and Jirachi were more popular. Although Gastrodon switching into Celebi is derp in the first place.

even with Rotom-W's Trick in Play, all Gastrodon has to do is sit there and take "hits" from Volt-Switch, Hydro Pump, or the slightly rare HP Fire. Gastrodon's Toxic is more than enough to really cripple any Rotom-W, especially once Tricked.

To answer the question by Krum, not at all. As Erisaescape said, Gatrodon's ability to sponge up Rotom-W and Water-Typ attacks gives it its mainstay in OU. Without it, and its useless. Hydro Pump from Specs or Scarf Rotom-W will still do considerable damage to Gastrodon, especially if you strip it of Storm Drain.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But isn't Storm Drain the entire point of Gastrodon in OU this generation? o_O

Rotom-W is also more-or-less the only notable OU Trick user atm, so it's probably not even as useful as last Gen when Scarf Celebi and Jirachi were more popular. Although Gastrodon switching into Celebi is derp in the first place.
Trick Starmie and Latios are used too but ya Rotom-W is definitely the most common. Who doesn't expect Trick Scarf these days from Room-W?

Saw someone running LO Gastrodon today with I believe Scald, ice beam, earth power, and recover. Fairly interesting but you definitely need to get a storm drain boost to do any real damage

Has anyone tried Sticky Hold instead of Storm Drain? Losing the water immunity is not that bad because Gastrodon has excellent Special Defence. Sticky Hold is a great way to troll all those Rotom running around these days. It means that Gastrodon doesn't have to worry about being crippled by trick from Rotom anymore.
Honestly it's not worth the surprise. StormDrain is what makes Gastrodon such an amazing "glue"-pokemon in a team: immunity to electric and water and access to recovery. Taking the water immunity away cripples it.

Use Quagsire for a while. You really start to miss that immunity when facing Rotom-W, Gyarados and Politoed.

I don't think Quagsire will be too much useful as a Water inmune. Quagsire only real niche in upper tiers is Unaware. Keep Water Abs for lower tiers in where Unaware is generally better anyways.

Use Vaporeon as Water Inmune or Gastrodon.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
don't even think about it!

252 SpA Modest Rotom-W Hydro Pump in the Rain vs 252/252+ Gastrodon = 53% - 62%
252 SpA Modest Politoed Choice Specs Hydro Pump in the Rain vs 252/252+ Gastrodon = 72% - 85%

the only reason to use Gastrodon is to counter those absurdly strong Water-type attacks...throw that away and you're left with nothing. Oh, and don't give me the 'they won't try and Hydro Pump Gastrodon!' excuse either - Gastrodon is supposed to be switching in on them, not pussyfooting around them to keep up the facade.

Sticky Hold is a pretty mediocre ability anyway.

don't even think about it!

252 SpA Modest Rotom-W Hydro Pump in the Rain vs 252/252+ Gastrodon = 53% - 62%
252 SpA Modest Politoed Choice Specs Hydro Pump in the Rain vs 252/252+ Gastrodon = 72% - 85%

the only reason to use Gastrodon is to counter those absurdly strong Water-type attacks...throw that away and you're left with nothing. Oh, and don't give me the 'they won't try and Hydro Pump Gastrodon!' excuse either - Gastrodon is supposed to be switching in on them, not pussyfooting around them to keep up the facade.

Sticky Hold is a pretty mediocre ability anyway.
But due to Team Preview, Gastrodon can discourage foes to use Water-type moves anyway.

Sticky Hold was better in DPP after Platinum release because there were Trickers everywhere. Now it is too circumstantial since Trick is rarelyused(Only Rotom-W and Latios use it in OU) and Knock Off the same and Gastrodon really does not mind much to lose its item.

Mixing the facts I said, specially Rotom-W who the second time it will hit to Gastrodon with a powerful Hydro Pump, I think there is no worth really.

But due to Team Preview, Gastrodon can discourage foes to use Water-type moves anyway.

Sticky Hold was better in DPP after Platinum release because there were Trickers everywhere. Now it is too circumstantial since Trick is rarelyused(Only Rotom-W and Latios use it in OU) and Knock Off the same and Gastrodon really does not mind much to lose its item.

Mixing the facts I said, specially Rotom-W who the second time it will hit to Gastrodon with a powerful Hydro Pump, I think there is no worth really.
Not to mention when Rotom tricks the whole charade is up. What have you gained, one free turn in exchange for a water immunity? Not worth it at all.

If Rotom-W is choiced when it uses Trick(99% of the time) it will be locked into an useless Trick against Sticky Hold. So, two free turns, specially the second one the user of the washing-machine is not expecting you are going to switch too.

Honestly I don't find gastrodon to be a great rotom-w check anyway; they almost always carry hp grass for water/ground types.

If Rotom-W is choiced when it uses Trick(99% of the time) it will be locked into an useless Trick against Sticky Hold. So, two free turns, specially the second one the user of the washing-machine is not expecting you are going to switch too.
It might be trivial, but according to the Novemeber stats only 91.2% of rotoms that are specs/scarf have trick. And thats probably an over estimate because there are probably quite a few people with something else but they still have trick, either my accident or by choice.

Back when I used Gastrodon I never found trick to be too much of a problem, it was a pain in the ass though, but rarely game changing.

Has anyone ever tried Counter on Gastrodon? I played around with it last night and althought very gimmicky, it worked out. Especially against all those Volt-Turn spammers on PO; you take the U-turn like a boss and hit the switch in for a ton of damage.

Honestly I don't find gastrodon to be a great rotom-w check anyway; they almost always carry hp grass for water/ground types.
I don't see HP grass very often outside of myself. Rotom-W's that carry HP Grass will severely lack coverage on things like Dragonite, which could then set up on it, especially if Rotom-W was a scarfed variant. Unless you have Specs HP Grass with modest, it won't KO against max SpDef Gastrodon. But yeah, I can see it being a problem.

Has anyone ever tried Counter on Gastrodon? I played around with it last night and althought very gimmicky, it worked out. Especially against all those Volt-Turn spammers on PO; you take the U-turn like a boss and hit the switch in for a ton of damage.
I also use Counter and also think it's quite effective! It can be kinda annoying giving up a moveslot for it though, but with a physically- or mixed-defensive spread it's possible to take basically any unboosted non-Grass physical attack and deal heavy damage back. Plus, the next time Rotom-W is in you might be able to Recover the health back.

The reason why Gastrodon was able to climb all the way up to OU was because of Storm Drain, giving it the ability to counter rain effectively. Though very cool if pulled off, but Sticky Hold simply isn't worth giving up for the general ability to absorb water type attacks and get SAtk boosts from them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)