Garchomp (Full Revamp) +

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have a feeling that this will be my biggest project as of date. So I can't really post much at the moment until school is over; however, I'm willing to hear everything that will be suggested. I have asked both Jibaku and Maniac (the Uber analysis writers) about this in particular, and none had plans to do it. I'm not saying I won't need help, because I might in a few things.

I'll leave this to MINOR discussion (for now) and work on the analysis while it goes on. Ubers will have to be implemented in here and some OU Pokemon knocked out of the picture. Swords Dance Ray outclasses Garchomp for the most part (barring STAB Earthquake and having a resist to Stone Edge as well as an immunity to Thunder). The Choice Band and Scarf sets will be at the very top with perhaps the regular and SubDancer in the bottom. I'm not even going to add Chain Chomp unless people want to argue otherwise.

The MAIN problem I have with doing this is how to actually... handle it. I'm not saying it will, but it is possible that Garchomp could see OU again, and frankly, some of those sets work in there better than some. Not everyone has actually "banned" Garchomp from OU like us and might want to see a more professional analysis instead of some of the mediocre analysis out there. Not saying I'm the best, but we're revered as a competitive community and such. I could type all day about this but I'd rather get to the main point: I'm debating on whether to add some of the OU "sets" and "counters" or not. Well, an updated version anyway. It'll still be geared toward Uber, but some references of OU wouldn't hurt.

RESERVED, otherwise.

Jibaku and Maniac, feel free to help me if you'd like on this one. Suggestions or a couple of other cool notations you guys have.

---

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Stone Edge / Toxic / Sleep Talk
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Arguably the better of the two Choice sets, Choice Scarf Garchomp is a massive threat with Speed instead of power in the Uber environment. The two biggest advantages of Garchomp over Rayquaza are Garchomp’s Speed, which is just enough to stay ahead of base 100 Pokemon like Palkia, and his typing, which provides a great STAB combination and several useful resistances. Due to the fact that Bronzong and Skarmory are rarely seen in Ubers, Fire Blast and Fire Fang are absent from this set.</p>

<p>Although Garchomp’s Speed becomes a massive stat of 499 (outpacing even Deoxys-A), the power is slightly weaker than Choice Band. Outrage is a must for this reason alone. STAB Earthquake is important for coverage, taking out most of the dominant Steel-types in Ubers. Dragon Claw is weaker than both Outrage and Earthquake; however, it gives Garchomp the ability to attack with a reliable Dragon-type move and retain the freedom to switch. Stone Edge, Sleep Talk, and Toxic become major concerns for the final slot. Stone Edge damages Shedinja, while Toxic can cripple Pokemon that switch into Garchomp to eliminate from the equation later; Lugia and Giratina in particular. Unfortunately, Stone Edge won't do enough damage to 2HKO Lugia. Sleep Talk allows Garchomp to absorb a Dark Void from Darkrai and at least retaliate in the process. Also useful is the fact that Sleep Talk will not lock Garchomp into Outrage.</p>

<p>This set’s real power comes from Garchomp’s Speed alone. Outpacing practically the entire Uber metagame is devastating to the opponent. Not many Pokemon enjoy being outsped and being attacked by STAB Outrage constantly. Only Deoxys-S has a chance of outpacing Garchomp without setting-up or using a Choice Scarf. Unfortunately, Deoxys-S must invest a significant amount of Speed EVs to stop Garchomp. This set, as well as all Garchomp sets, enjoys Sand Veil. Sand Veil is a huge lifesaver thanks to the 20% chance of an opponent’s attack missing, provided sandstorm is in play.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Dragon Claw
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Garchomp makes a fantastic user of Choice Band in the Uber environment. With 333 Speed and 538 Attack, not a whole lot can switch into this set safely. Earthquake will destroy Dialga and Metagross easily. Outrage is an excellent clean-up attack once the main threats to Garchomp aren’t present. Outrage will do the most damage to the Uber environment barring the Steel-types listed above. Outrage should always be used with extreme caution because once it is used, Garchomp cannot switch out and stays locked into using it repeatedly. Don’t underestimate Outrage: it may not have the same raw power that Rayquaza has, but it can easily 2HKO a lot of Pokemon that don’t resist it.</p>

<p>Stone Edge is Garchomp’s best move against Lugia. Lugia is the dominant wall in Ubers, but does not always invest enough Speed to outpace Garchomp. This gives Garchomp a fighting chance against some slower Lugia as long as Stealth Rock is present on the field, though Garchomp should always avoid facing off with a faster Lugia. As with the Choice Scarf set, Dragon Claw is useful to finish off weakened Pokemon without becoming locked into Outrage. While Adamant is tempting on this set, it isn’t recommended. Outrage can 2HKO Groudon after Stealth Rock is calculated; however, by opting for Adamant Garchomp is outpaced by Lugia and Hasty Palkia.</p>

<p>A fair warning that you should never attempt to defeat a Lugia that is faster than you. Reflect, Roost, and Ice Beam are Garchomp's greatest fears. Despite Crunch's ability to pound Lugia even through Roost, Garchomp is better off either switching out or using Outrage.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Yache Berry / Haban Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Life Orb and Swords Dance, Garchomp is nearly unstoppable offensively. After a Swords Dance, Lugia suffers an OHKO from Stone Edge, given that Stealth Rock is in play. Garchomp outspeeds and can 2HKO Groudon with Outrage. STAB Earthquake wrecks Steel-types that can take a boosted Outrage, like Dialga and Metagross.</p>

<p>Garchomp’s main advantage over Rayquaza is its Speed. 7 points may not seem like much, but outspeeding Hasty Palkia is invaluale. It also gives Garchomp a chance of decimating most Latias that don’t invest heavily in Speed. The lack of Extremespeed is rather unfortunate for Garchomp, but with its bulk, typing, and ability, it's still very viable. Immunity to Thunder allows Garchomp to potentially switch into Specs Kyogre and obtain a free Swords Dance during the switch.</p>

<p>Two other item options work well when using Swords Dance Garchomp. Yache Berry softens Lugia's Ice Beam and gives Garchomp a better chance to sweep. Haban Berry works the same way, but for Dragon-type attacks instead of Ice. Dragon Claw is a useful move option over Outrage if being locked into an attack isn’t your style. The base power is an issue, however.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSalac
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Earthquake
item: Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set allows Garchomp to Swords Dance with less prediction required, due to Substitute. Substitute blocks status, such as Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, from hindering a sweep. Behind the Substitute, feel free to use Swords Dance until the Substitute is broken. Once the Substitute is broken, repeat the process until Salac Berry activates. This gives Garchomp a “pseudo-Scarf” approach with the ability to boost its Attack. Dragon Claw allows Garchomp to switch attacks, furthering the possibility of a sweep. Outrage is still useful for this set. Because Garchomp will be at low HP after Salac activates, Outrage is worth considering due to its higher base power over Dragon Claw. Earthquake is Garchomp's best attacking option to pair with a Dragon-type attack and benefits from STAB. Don’t even think about Stone Edge; STAB Outrage will do almost equal damage to Lugia after a Swords Dance. Sandstorm is beneficial to this set, allowing Garchomp to avoid some attacks due to Sand Veil, thus keeping its Substitute intact.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Garchomp’s movepool isn’t massive compared to other OU Dragon-types, nor is it as versatile as other Uber Pokemon. The moves listed are best choices for Garchomp in most scenarios.</p>

<p>On the Choice Band or Choice Scarf sets, Crunch is a reasonable option over Stone Edge. Crunch can still 2HKO Lugia on the Choice Band set, while giving Garchomp a safer alternative against the omnipresent Psychic-types in Ubers. Aqua Tail is a reasonable option when used with Kyogre support. Don't expect to KO Groudon with Aqua Tail, because Drought cuts Aqua Tail’s power in half. Fire Fang and Fire Blast are decent options, especially when paired with sunlight.</p>

<p>Given that Garchomp has better overall defenses than Swampert, running a defensive set that utilizes Rest and Sleep Talk is a viable option. On such a set, Outrage is highly recommended since not only does it have 120 base power before STAB, if it is chosen by Sleep Talk you will not be locked in and prevented from switching. Roar and Stealth Rock are support options available to Garchomp; unfortunately, Garchomp will rarely find time to use any of these moves other than Sleep Talk.</p>

[EVs]
<p>For all Garchomp sets, max Speed and Attack are recommended. The remaining EVs can go into HP, with the exception of sets with Substitute. The extra 4 EVs should be allocated into Defense and use a 30 HP IV as well.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Garchomp’s reign in OU is over, and not exactly on a good note. While Garchomp is certainly viable in the Uber tier, it suffers being outclassed by the dominant Dragon-types in that environment. Rayquaza’s higher Attack and access to Extremespeed make it a better user of Swords Dance. Rayquaza also learns Dragon Dance, something that Garchomp lacks. When choosing Garchomp for your team, it should be used for those advantages it has over Rayquaza. Garchomp’s higher Speed gives it the ability to devastate a lot of the slower Uber Pokemon, such as Hasty Palkia and Timid Kyogre. Garchomp also has an immunity to Electric-type attacks; in particular, Thunder Wave. Sand Veil allows Garchomp to avoid an attack 20% of the time with sandstorm present, giving it a slight advantage over its Uber counterparts.</p>

<p>Despite lacking Rayquaza's sheer power, Garchomp should not be underestimated for any reason. Garchomp can single handedly crumple the Uber metagame with STAB Outrage, as there are very few Pokemon that resist Dragon in the tier. Give Garchomp the chance to sweep, and it will respond quickly with devastation; leaving only dust in its wake.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Garchomp shares many counters with Rayquaza. In other words, there are very few that actually exist. Groudon must invest heavily in HP and Defense in order to be a buffer against Garchomp. Unfortunately, Groudon could risk a 2HKO from Swords Danced Outrage. What’s worse is Thunder Wave will not faze Garchomp thanks to its Ground-typing. Thankfully, Lugia is the best counter against Garchomp. Lugia packs Roost, Reflect, and Ice Beam to easily scare off Garchomp. If Lugia switches into Stone Edge, it could find itself with low health, especially with Stealth Rock taken into account. Cresselia can easily switch into Garchomp and retaliate with Ice Beam. Moonlight's recovery is boosted by Groudon's Drought, allowing Cresselia to more efficiently take hits from Garchomp. Skarmory and Bronzong can switch into Garchomp, especially because the vast majority of Garchomp lack Fire Fang or Fire Blast. Metagross can switch into a locked Outrage and KO Garchomp with Ice Punch or Meteor Mash.</p>

<p>Many Pokemon can rely on their high Speed in order to revenge kill Garchomp. Keep in mind that the Choice Scarf set is an exception. Mewtwo, Darkrai, and Deoxys-A carry moves that threaten to OHKO Garchomp. Mewtwo commonly has Ice Beam to dispense Garchomp quickly and even has access to Will-O-Wisp and Reflect. A combination of Darkrai's STAB Dark Pulse, Dark Void, and Bad Dreams will usually force Garchomp to switch out. Deoxys-A can easily scare Garchomp off with Ice Beam, but is one of the few Pokemon listed above that cannot switch into Garchomp at all. Deoxys-S can always outpace Garchomp, with enough Speed investment, and bring it down with Ice Beam. For any user of Ice Beam, 269 Special Attack minimum is required in order to OHKO Garchomp.</p>

<p>Sand Veil makes countering difficult. Because Sand Veil reduces Ice Beam's accuracy to 80%, it may sometimes miss, resulting in Garchomp gaining a KO. Dark Void suffers an accuracy cut from 80% to 64%. Thankfully, Rayquaza's Air Lock prevents Sand Veil from screwing up Extremespeed’s accuracy.</p>

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should use my Garchomp thread in the Analysis Workshop for help here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43856

I don't think the sets have changed too much, the only thing that will require too much work are the counters and opinions sections. I don't think the analysis needs a complete revamp, but it does need changes now that its Uber.

Good luck!

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I might give a few suggestions :).

-Keep the SD set, it's still usable. The higher base Speed can be significant. Also, make Haban Berry an option on the set alongside Yache & Life Orb

- Choice Scarf's only nature should be Jolly so you can outrun Hasty Scarf Palkia

- SubChomp should probably have Brightpowder removed as an option, with Kyogre & Groudon Sandstorm won't likely be up long enough for BP to be useful. Just Salac is a fine option.

- Chain Chomp was novelty before but it's pretty much useless in ubers. I'd drop it all together and mention a Chain Chomp set in "Other Options"

- The bulky sweeper set also has little to no utility in the uber tier.

That's it ^_^

Well, someone had to do it.

Haban Berry has little utility. With all the Ice type moves (namely Lugia's Ice Beams) you won't be able to sweep as well. And, Dragon moves are really only on Rayquaza, Dialga, and the L@tis, whereas Ice type moves are all over.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
No I think Haban has a bit of use. Just as Yache stops random Ice Beams (by the way you still get OHKOed by Kyogre's Specs Ice Beam), Let's see the guys that use a Dragon type move
- Rayquaza
- Latias/Latios
- Other Garchomps
- Palkia
- Dialga
- Giratina
- Giratina-O
- Groudon (well not really siginificant anyways since EQ does nearly the same as DClaw but you might catch it off guard)
- Kingdra

The Ice Beamers:
- Mewtwo (Yache might help here)
- Kyogre (KOes you in one hit)
- Lugia (2HKO regardless of Yache, but might help if you've got entry hazards on your field)
- Blissey (I dunno Yache might make a difference)
- Gengar (HP Ice)
- Deoxys-A

The dragons are probably enough to at least give Haban an option over Yache.

I used Haban Berry on my Swords Dance Garchomp to let it act as a ScarfDialga lure. Draco Meteor from Timid ScarfDialga did around 80% with Haban activated, so if you can keep it healthy it's a great way to take it out for Rayquaza to sweep. It also takes out Latias/Scarf Palkia of course, but they aren't nearly as important for the team I had because they usually can be disposed of with Swords Dance ExtremeSpeed.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
First: Keep this new analysis simply Uber. Garchomp is Uber, and until tested otherwise, will remain Uber for some time. I am sure that someone can save the OU analysis and you can use that for a reference if it ever does get unbanned.

Second: Obviously, you should focus on what Garchomp brings to the table over Rayquaza. This means that its Speed should be big point in the analysis. Scarf Garchomp, which IS the best Garchomp (I've been using Garchomp in Ubers since the Uber Ladder on Official) should be the first analysis. The ability to destroy nearly every Scarfer + it has a mere 12.5% of being KOed by Adamant + 2 LO Extreemespeed from Rayquaza with SR up.

Third: Again, the speed is huge. With Lugias usually only running barely enough speed to beat +Speed Rayquaza, Garchomp can now KO them with Swords Dance and Life Orb with SR up. Not to mention you outrun all Base 100s and even some others like the Lati twins if they don't run max speed. As stated by others, Haban berry can be an option if you fear being revenge killed (which would be the most common way to take down Chomp with all the Scarf Dialgas, Palkias, and Chomps in the current metagame)

The only other set that should really be included is CB Chomp. All of those other sets from OU really have no place in the Uber metagame.

Counters: Defensive Groudon is probably the best bet, as Lugia will be KOed if they are primarily trying to counter Rayquaza. Chomp really just has to watch out for all of the Dragons that are faster than it if it is trying to sweep.

Last Notes: Garchomp got really no help from Platinum. Garchomp also has a much harder time switching in in the Ubers metagame. The only way you are going to get an SD is after something has been KOed which will let you get a free switch. Ice and Dragon are probably the two most common attacks in Ubers, and most neutral attacks will be taking a big chunk out of Garchomp.

I meant that Swords Dance Rayquaza could take them out. I should have clarified, I was using Garchomp as a lure, so I was using Haban Berry to beat ScarfDialga. What I meant was that Latias and Palkia also wouldn't be able to revenge-kill Garchomp, but I didn't really care about them because they aren't very effective checks against Rayquaza because they are vulnerable to ExtremeSpeed.

Crunch is at best decent. Earthquake hits for a measly 10 BP less. Outrage outpowers it for a final sweep. More importantly, Crunch is not going to much to Lugia unless you get the Defense drop.

Here are the Psychics in Ubers:
Wobbofett
Mewtwo
Mew
Lugia
Latios
Latias
Deoxys

and Giratina is ghost.

Of these, there is no real reason for Crunch

So Crunch really isn't worth too much.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Crunch for what though? Unless you see Cress in ubers, you can EQ everything for just about the same damage, while Dragon Clawing the Lati@s/Giratina. Or you could use Outrage. The only things that Crunch hit harder are Mewtwo, Deoxys, Gengar, Celebi and Mew, and that's discounting Outrage. EQ takes care of Deoxys (well only Deoxys-D matters since no one uses Deoxys-N and Deoxys-A dies in one hit, while Deo-D dies in two hits regardless of Quake or Crunch), Mew and Mewtwo almost as well (is the 6.7% boost from in power from Crunch really worth it?)

If you must deal with Lugia, then Stone Edge works as long as Lugia doesn't EV itself to outrun Chomp.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Recalling off the top of my head, Dragon Claw, Outrage, and Earthquake are Garchomp's best options. Following this is Stone Edge and Toxic. Aqua Tail is useless since its only for Groudon; and sunlight cuts that in half. I guess it could make an "other option" alongside Kyogre support. This stritcly speaks the Choice sets.

The Swords Dance set, on the other hand, seems to be the same. The only difference is having Stone Edge over Fire Fang (because seriously, Bronzong and Skarmory aren't very common in Ubers). The Substitute set seems okay because it IS something Rayquaza can't do "as well" (Garchomp's higher Speed and the few resists that are offered). Everything else seems too gimmicky for Ubers.

This, I guess, seems to be better to gear it permanantly toward Ubers. I'll find some way for the "OU" Garchomp analysis to be saved. I will try to post it all at once (in other words bump it myself when it is set in stone). You might, once in a while, see a set or two uploaded here and there. Otherwise, I'm going to start putting some of this up eventually.

Actually, Crunch could be decent for the CB version.

Jolly (only Jolly should be used so that you can outspeed SD Quaza and take his extreme speed), max attack, CB crunch

vs.

standard max hp, bold, Lugia (416 hp, 313 Def)

Damage: 48.08% - 56.49%

Which is 2hko with SR up, unless Lugia actually outspeeds chomp, which is incredibly unlikesly. Considering the fact CB chomp would only run stone edge for Lugia (rayquaza has no business switching into chomp), crunch is definitely a solid pick for the CB version of chomp.

Stone Edge can't 1HKO Lugia unless you go adamant, and then you lose your speed advantage over SD Quaza, meaning he can D-Claw you to death. And you would probably lose your speed advantage to Lugia as well.

However, its pretty useless with a scarf though doing a pitiful 37% at most. You would be better off with Toxic.

So CB Chomp should be:

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil
4 hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch/Fire Fang/Stone Edge

Some slashitis right here, but thats the general gist of things.
The main point here is that with SR up, Crunch will kill Lugia as he switches in, without having to resort to Outrage.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No I think Haban has a bit of use. Just as Yache stops random Ice Beams (by the way you still get OHKOed by Kyogre's Specs Ice Beam), Let's see the guys that use a Dragon type move
- Rayquaza
- Latias/Latios
- Other Garchomps
- Palkia
- Dialga
- Giratina
- Giratina-O
- Groudon (well not really siginificant anyways since EQ does nearly the same as DClaw but you might catch it off guard)
- Kingdra

The Ice Beamers:
- Mewtwo (Yache might help here)
- Kyogre (KOes you in one hit)
- Lugia (2HKO regardless of Yache, but might help if you've got entry hazards on your field)
- Blissey (I dunno Yache might make a difference)
- Gengar (HP Ice)
- Deoxys-A

The dragons are probably enough to at least give Haban an option over Yache.
Mewtwo has a slightly higher base SA than Kyogre. Are you assuming Kyogre is always running Modest/Mild and Mewtwo Timid/Hasty?

RE Fire Fang: Skarm and Bronzong aren't around, but Forretress does occasionally show up to throw entry hazards on the field. Fire Blast is probably more advisable then. Maybe even Flamethrower if you're using it with Groudon and can't afford the miss. FT would also be able to take out Shedinja without incident.

RE Stone Edge, Crunch:

Lugia has Pressure, and with Roost it could PP stall it quite easily. If we're assuming a slower Lugia, the flinch chance on Rock Slide might be enough of a consideration on a non-CB set. Crunch has the most PP of the three moves and the best accuracy.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I'd disagree. Rock Slide is very weak on the Choice Scarf set, and even so I would consider Crunch before Rock Slide. Anyway, added Choice sets at the very least, so go ahead and flame me to death.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just a few comments on the sets:

I think Skarmory/Bronzong should just be mentioned in the counters section really and why Garchomp should never be using a fire attack because they don't see enough play.

The set comments for the Choice Scarf set should really be focusing on speed alone. You start off that way but you start to drift into Shedinja/Tyranitar which are not really the things you want to be emphasizing. It appears from your writing that Chomp can only revenge dragons, which is not the case. Mewtwo, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Kyogre, Scarf Dialga, along with being able to survive both DD Rayquaza and SD Rayquaza extreemespeed should be mentioned.

Call me a little crazy, but Sleep Talk should definitely be a Other Options choice for the Choice Sets in the last slot. With a boosted usage in Darkrai (also BP Mew) Sleep Talk from a really fast pokemon will find good use.

Lastly, Choice Band Stone Edge from Adamant will never OHKO 252/0 Bold Lugia (least defensive there is) even with SR up, factoring in Leftovers. Rather, Adamant lets you 2HKO most versions defensive Groudon with Outrage.

Jibaku

Mewtwo has a slightly higher base SA than Kyogre. Are you assuming Kyogre is always running Modest/Mild and Mewtwo Timid/Hasty?
At least for the current metagame, most of the Kyogres are Specs and most of the Mewtwos are Life Orbed

chenman333 said:
Which is 2hko with SR up, unless Lugia actually outspeeds chomp, which is incredibly unlikesly.
I think you really shouldn't say it's "unlikely". People tend to overlook Garchomp a bit, and when this thing will rise in usage Lugia's Speed will rise as well.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I'm keeping the notation about Lugia usually being slower than Chomp for now. I added Sleep Talk on the Choice Scarf set since Stone Edge isn't cutting Lugia (barring a critical hit). Also reworded the Choice Scarf set a little bit (the second paragraph anyway).

<p>Arguably the better of the two Choice sets, Choice Scarf Garchomp is a massive threat with Speed instead of power in the Uber environment. The two biggest advantages of Garchomp over Rayquaza are Garchomp’s Speed (just enough to stay ahead of base 100 Pokemon like Palkia) and his typing, which provides a great STAB combination and several useful resistances. Due to the fact that Bronzong and Skarmory are rarely seen in Ubers, Fire Blast and Fire Fang are absent from this set.</p>

<p>Although Garchomp’s Speed becomes a massive stat of 499 (outpacing even Deoxys-A), the power is slightly weaker than Choice Band. Outrage is a must for this reason alone. STAB Earthquake is important for coverage, taking out most of the dominant Steel-types in Ubers. Dragon Claw is weaker than both Outrage and Earthquake; however, it gives Garchomp the ability to attack with a reliable Dragon-type move and retain the freedom to switch. Stone Edge, Sleep Talk, and Toxic become major concerns for the final slot. Stone Edge damages Shedinja, while Toxic can cripple Pokemon that switch into Garchomp to eliminate from the equation later; Lugia and Giratina in particular. Unfortunately, Stone Edge won't do enough damage to 2HKO Lugia. Sleep Talk allows Garchomp to absorb a Dark Void from Darkrai and at least retaliate in the process. Also useful is the fact that Sleep Talk will not lock Garchomp into Outrage.</p>
<p>Garchomp makes a fantastic user of Choice Band in the Uber environment. With 333 Speed and 538 Attack, not a whole lot can switch into this set safely. Earthquake will destroy Dialga and Metagross easily. Outrage is an excellent clean-up attack once the main threats to Garchomp aren’t present. Outrage will do the most damage to the Uber environment barring the Steel-types listed above. Outrage should always be used with extreme caution because once it is used, Garchomp cannot switch out and stays locked into using it repeatedly. Don’t underestimate Outrage: it may not have the same raw power that Rayquaza has, but it can easily 2HKO a lot of Pokemon that don’t resist it.</p>

<p>Stone Edge is Garchomp’s best move against Lugia. Lugia is the dominant wall in Ubers, but does not always invest enough Speed to outpace Garchomp. This gives Garchomp a fighting chance against some slower Lugia as long as Stealth Rock is present on the field, though Garchomp should always avoid facing off with a faster Lugia. As with the Choice Scarf set, Dragon Claw is useful to finish off weakened Pokemon without becoming locked into Outrage. While Adamant is tempting on this set, it isn’t recommended. Outrage can 2HKO Groudon after Stealth Rock is calculated; however, by opting for Adamant Garchomp is outpaced by Lugia and Hasty Palkia.</p>
<p>With Life Orb and Swords Dance, Garchomp is nearly unstoppable offensively. After a Swords Dance, Lugia suffers an OHKO from Stone Edge, given that Stealth Rock is in play. Garchomp outspeeds and can 2HKO Groudon with Outrage. STAB Earthquake wrecks Steel-types that can take a boosted Outrage, like Dialga and Metagross.</p>

<p>Garchomp’s main advantage over Rayquaza is its Speed. 7 points may not seem like much, but outspeeding Hasty Palkia is invaluable. It also gives Garchomp a chance of decimating most Latias that don’t invest heavily in Speed. The lack of Extremespeed is rather unfortunate for Garchomp, but with its bulk, typing, and ability, it's still very vialbe. Immunity to Thunder allows Garchomp to potentially switch into Specs Kyogre and obtain a free Swords Dance during the switch.</p>

<p>Two other item options work well when using Swords Dance Garchomp. Yache Berry softens Lugia's Ice Beam and gives Garchomp a better chance to sweep. Haban Berry works the same way, but for Dragon-type attacks instead of Ice. Dragon Claw is a useful move option over Outrage if being locked into an attack isn’t your style. The base power is an issue, however.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)