Fun Teams to Use in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon is a competitive battling site. People are caught up in Tournaments, ladder rankings, and rivalries. Through all the ladder bitching and competition, people forget that pokemon is just for fun. Instead of using that stale old rain team, why don't you try something outrageous? For example, try out an explosion team with one pokemon to beat the other at the end. Or try and facilitate a Magikarp sweep. I hope to inject the OU ladder with more, with lack of a better word, fun.

Rules: Any team you post must have a few lines of description on how it works.

I'll start off I guess.

Explosion Spam

Snorlax@Normal Gem
252 attack/252 hp/4 speed
Adamant

Selfdestruct
Crunch
Pursuit
Body Slam

Metagross@Normal Gem
252 attack/252 speed
Adamant

Explosion
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake

Azelf@Normal Gem
252 attack/252 speed
Adamant

Explosion
Fire Punch
U turn
Zen Headbutt

Gigalith@Normal Gem
252 attack/252 hp
Adamant

Stealth Rock
Explosion
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Victini@Choice Scarf
252 speed/252 attack
Jolly

Final Gambit
V Create
U turn
Bolt Strike

Alakazam@Focus Sash
252 speed/252 special attack
Timid

Physic/psyshock
HP Fire
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball

The premise of this team is to destroy all of the opponents pokes with explosion and utilizing Alakazam to beat the last poke one on one.

Happy posting!:)

Here and there I see something known as a "theme team," where the Pokemon are selected around a particular theme, such as a movie or a sport or a song or something along those lines. These can be competitive, or gimmicky, or somewhere in between. Or you can be like me and use Cacturne in OU, which most people who see it frown upon me for doing.

Thoughtful, thoughtful.. Okay..
I think it's a lot of fun to use competitive teams that actually work, and I actually think it's incredibly frustrating to face non-serious teams because they're bad and easy to win against, ruining the whole aspect of competition and just making it a waste of time to play against, also because I don't want to make people feel like I feel when I face explosion teams, I don't tend to use them.
I enjoy competitive pokemon, it's why I joined smogon, it's why I play PS.

I think this post is a nice contribution to this thread because it shows a different view on pokemon, and what people think is fun.

I don't have specific themes, I just use what works.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, sorry about that Haunter. Anyway, real response. I believe you can make Rain pretty interesting. Using under rated sweepers such as TR Slowking, SD Gator, and Water Gem Toed really do spice up this metagame imo. I wouldn't really suggest running an Explosion team on the ladder, as I don't think it's a viable strategy at all. I mean sure, it may be unique, but this is competitive Pokemon, where people are battling to win. That doesn't mean to say you can't use gimmicks, but there's a line where a gimmick becomes more trouble than it's worth.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Thoughtful, thoughtful.. Okay..
I think it's a lot of fun to use competitive teams that actually work, and I actually think it's incredibly frustrating to face non-serious teams because they're bad and easy to win against, ruining the whole aspect of competition and just making it a waste of time to play against, also because I don't want to make people feel like I feel when I face explosion teams, I don't tend to use them.
I enjoy competitive pokemon, it's why I joined smogon, it's why I play PS.

I think this post is a nice contribution to this thread because it shows a different view on pokemon, and what people think is fun.

I don't have specific themes, I just use what works.
I think I would consider sd skarmory rather fun ;)

I think there's certainly merit to the op. I do indeed believe that the purpose of pokemon should be to have fun, and whether that fun comes from winning or trolling or whatever is irrelevant.

Personally, I would find the most satisfying battle one where I use something gimmicky or purely-fun-based, and still win. Climbing the ladder and beating good players with something like a sd skarm is great fun.

I think I would consider sd skarmory rather fun ;)

I think there's certainly merit to the op. I do indeed believe that the purpose of pokemon should be to have fun, and whether that fun comes from winning or trolling or whatever is irrelevant.

Personally, I would find the most satisfying battle one where I use something gimmicky or purely-fun-based, and still win. Climbing the ladder and beating good players with something like a sd skarm is great fun.
I consider SD Skarm viable.. Unlike 5 pokemon exploding in the hopes of only leaving your opponent with 1 pokemon and winning that matchup with your own

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I consider SD Skarm viable.. Unlike 5 pokemon exploding in the hopes of only leaving your opponent with 1 pokemon and winning that matchup with your own
I don't think the discussion is limited to explosion teams, though. That was just a case of poor example. Yes, you can run an assist vcreate team or a rioulu team for "fun," or you can take gimmicks like skarm and use them effectively, accomplishing much more

I don't think the discussion is limited to explosion teams, though. That was just a case of poor example. Yes, you can run an assist vcreate team or a rioulu team for "fun," or you can take gimmicks like skarm and use them effectively, accomplishing much more
As much as I like gimmicks, dedicating a team towards one is just not something I would do, and something I hate to see.

Maybe an explosion team was not the best idea. But I am currently testing a Tailwind Team that is pretty cool. Basically you set up Tailwind with Whimsicott or Murkrow, die, get in Banded Kyurem Black or Haxkrus in safely and start smashing some bitches. I have been using Sahed Zam and Lucario as late-game cleaners.

When I want to have fun in OU I usually try out underrated Pokemon or unusual playstyles such as Trick Room. If I build a gimmicky team and play with it I just have no fun and get tired after 2 matches.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I hate using gimmicks tbh ;-; My favorite strategy is to just use something that is unexpected but fills a valuable niche. Currently, that is a Golurk+Roserade rain core that is used to get hazards down as much as possible in front of to very common pokes: Terrakion and Keldeo.

If this is how you use Explosion teams, no wonder you think they're unviable. There's a bit more subtlety involved than just booming on things, a correctly timed 1-for-1 can really break a game open.

Tailwind teams are pretty fun and potentially extremely dangerous. Just hope you don't run into a team with a lot of Protect mons!

If this is how you use Explosion teams, no wonder you think they're unviable. There's a bit more subtlety involved than just booming on things, a correctly timed 1-for-1 can really break a game open.
I think I made it pretty clear that I don't use explosion teams, nor have I ever seen a succesful explosion team in bw

Ok let me reword it: if that is how you think Explosion teams are played, no wonder you think they're unviable. Better?

twash's Hawaiian Air team was an offensive team with two Explosion users. There have been other successful teams with exploders (Limitless', Ojama had one in BW1, I have one, panamaxis has one).

Ok let me reword it: if that is how you think Explosion teams are played, no wonder you think they're unviable. Better?

twash's Hawaiian Air team was an offensive team with two Explosion users. There have been other successful teams with exploders (Limitless', Ojama had one in BW1, I have one, panamaxis has one).
Right, I think I need to make clear that I have no problem with explosion users in general, but when you have 5 of them, I believe it's unlikely the team is very good.
If you want to disagree with that, feel free, you probably have a lot more experience with it than I do. I'm done derailing this thread now.

Usually when I play lower tiers, I get fun ideas of things to use in OU that may not be that viable, but can be used somewhat effectively. For example, last round of suspect test, I used scarf Torterra and still managed to get reqs without ever restarting a new alt. It was a pretty silly counter to Keldtarlando provided none were scarfed, with banded Scizor BP support to finish off Lando if I can land a solid wood hammer on it.

Recently I've been playing RU, and I just made an OU team with Klinklang that wasn't too bad. Klinklang sets up all over Celebi and CM Latias in rain (and not much else unfortunately), and can beat Terrakion with its STAB and Keldeo with its coverage (wild charge). It doesn't even need full investment to outspeed scarf Latios after one shift gear. Scizor pretty much still outclasses the shit out of it, but it's still fun to use.

Note, when I use fun things like these, the rest of the team usually has to be bog-standard in order for it to actually work. Be creative, but also make sure you can support your innovative sets.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
The "fun" teams I use are ones I create myself and can win with on a consistent basis.

Those are few and far between these days.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Building a team around an underrated threat is definitely something that makes team building so much fun for me. For example, today I tried building a hail team that showcased Specs Kyurem-C. Oh my god does that thing it hard. Stuff like that is just so fun to use, and I find a lot of enjoyment out of that instead of just building a run of the mill standard rain, sun, or sand team. Although I only build teams around viable things in the metagame (Specs Kyurem-C is perfectly viable in hail for example), it's still fun. No but seriously, try out Specs Kyurem. My god.

I only use gimmicky sets/Pokemon if they're actually good. Most of the time, gimmick sets are called gimmick for a reason, but I've found several to be successful.

Right now my "fun" team is my best team. Not too long ago I was stuck in the 1500s. Now I'm rising up through the 1700s despite the centerpiece of the team not even having an OU analysis. Funny how that works out.

Such synergy! Such offensive presence! Such Flygon!
Flygon and Rotom are both scarfers. They zip and zoom around the opponent's team causing confusion. Celebi and Heatran are bulky offense who can come in at many opportunities to put on the pressure. Jellicent and Ferrothorn take the heavy hits. Jelly often cripples physical attackers, while Ferrothorn gyroballs speedy pokemon who think they can set up on him. Heatran and Ferrothorn set up hazards to increase the power of the aforementioned volturn team. Finally the team wins by either:
1.A choice scarf user sweeping a weakened team
2.The opponents team runs out of ways to break the synergy and gets KO'd by bulky offenders.

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is shit, has a terrible OP, and isn't really relevant. If someone wants to make a better OP, PM its contents to Haunter and we can approve / deny. The Team Building Challenge thing suits this sort of thing better anyway.

Please use the RMT forum if you want advice on your teams, or get Haunter to rate it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)