Free-to-Play in Pokemon

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With the release of Pokemon Shuffle and Pokemon Rumble Blast, two spin-off titles using the free-to-play business model, it seems that Nintendo may be planning more 'pay-to-win' games for release in the future. This is especially interesting because in all previous games Pokemon developers have preferred releasing games with everything already included and relatively few purchases/downloads of extra content or items available-- Shuffle and Rumble break this tradition utilising in-game-purchases as well as consistent daily challenges, et cetera in Shuffle.

Shuffle uses an interesting two-currency system in which Gems and coins are used to purchase boosts for your Pokemon in and out of battle., while Rumble uses a Jewels system, with players being given the ability to either grind for Jewels or purchase them in order to access new levels and obtain accessories and upgrades.

So here's what I'd like to know:

1) Do you approve/disapprove/feel neutral about the introduction of free-to-play in Pokemon games?

2) In titles that have already been released using the free-to-play model (Shuffle and Rumble World), what aspects of said games' FTP models do you enjoy? What about them irks you?

3) (not sure if this breaks the wishlist rule, so feel free to disregard this question) What changes would you like to see implemented to Pokemon's FTP models in future games/updates, if any?

I don't mind the daily/weekly rotational content that Shuffle has going for it, and the game has at least one mechanic in place that payment adverse players can use to get around Jewel currency (the Meowth stage).

That said, I'd actually prefer they look more at Shuffle than Rumble if they have to for future F2P mechanics, because I put Rumble down very quickly compared to still playing Shuffle. The jewels Shuffle sells are convenience since the Meowth stage offers a means to grind coins if you hit a wall, which also avoids wasting hearts on unsuccessful attempts.

Rumble World's method annoys me because the currency can open the content, but it doesn't do away with some of the factors that are obviously meant to "encourage" purchases, such as the wait times on the Balloons, the randomness of the selector, and the RNG of obtaining the Pokemon you want once you get the area. Even though you max at $30 and then just get 20 diamonds a day, that still basically means I can't make more than 10 attempts per day (assuming I have to use the stopper) at getting new Pokemon while filling the last 10% of my dex. In Shuffle, at the very least, the stuff I buy with my coins (and by extension, would buy if I purchased Jewels) will deliver consistently on what I bought it to do. Rumble just lets me buy more chances to use the RNG.

For comparison:
- Shuffle I can buy items to catch Pokemon more easily by finishing their puzzle in fewer moves, not to mention the Great Balls. I actively improve my odds at achieving that goal through use of the enhancements.
- Rumble World I can pay $2 for the diamonds to get a new balloon, but it's still entirely RNG whether or not I manage to capture some Pokemon even once I get lucky enough to land in their zone and they happen to show up. I lost interest in Rumble World because there came a point where I couldn't actively improve my chances beyond trying again for law of averages, and even the monetization based methods just meant getting another spin on the slots.

If Shuffle is derided as "pay to win", then Rumble World I'd say is worse as "pay to try and win roulette again".

Moving on:
I feel like F2P could work with Pokemon spin-offs, since the Pokemon and other factors such as items ensure there's content potential to supplement them, but I know they'd have to go with either a different or simplified formula. I have a lot of fun with Final Fantasy Record Keeper, because the games they draw from offer plenty of material, the battle system still feels like (an admittedly simplified version of) the Active Time Battle system from the main games, and the game makes it perfectly feasible to compete without paying since Mythril is reasonably obtained for the rare draws and the equipment (which is mainly what premium currency plays into) is one of several factors in the game that is fairly easy to compensate for with leveling, party composition, etc.

The tricky thing about Pokemon is that it's hard to find something to monetize without directly or indirectly selling power, since the main content, the Pokemon themselves, are unique enough that inability to obtain them (reasonably) without paying could impact someone's playstyle if the game resembles the main series too closely.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think Pokemon Shuffle is dreadful. It's the same thing over and over again, and not that related to Pokemon. And you actually need to pay for catching Pokemon that you can't transfer into the main games. This is just beyond me.
But that's just my opinion.

Pokemon Rumble World is better in that it's more Pokemon related. The movepool is large and Pokemon's attack are according to the main games. Even the amount of HP and the attack stats slightly relate to the actual Pokemon's stats.
Plus, at least you can buy the entire game by 3000 diamonds, which grants you the VIP status.
But then again, it's the same thing over and over again. I would pay a little to play this though.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've played both but I've played Rumble significantly more (all 719 Pokemon caught) and honestly Rumble keeps me playing way more. Shuffle is skilled but Rumble is the excitement of the real games. Like, you're set with the Pokemon you get, everyone gets the same Pokemon (and it can only grow 10 levels, no unique abilities that vary game to game on a certain Pokemon). In Rumble not everyone is able to get a level 2071 Epic Fire Arceus (for example), like most Pokemon are unique, like in the games. That's something Shuffle just can't compete with. Rumble's let down by the fact that it doesn't have ongoing updates each week which draws in the Shuffle players. If Rumble had different content added each week (like new challenges) that would keep replayability going (as well as a better way to grind for PokeDiamonds I guess).

However, Rumble has something on Shuffle... the fact that you can't cheat. The home menu glitch, getting lucky with combinations, the program that helps you beat each level, etc. You just can't do that on Rumble. It's better connected with the actual main games because you get connected to each Pokemon, you get excited when you encounter an Epic Pokemon in the same way you'd encounter a shiny. So... yeah. If they were to model future games on either of these, definitely make it more like Rumble, but include weekly things to keep people interested. A game where you can't get attached to a Pokemon isn't really a Pokemon game to me, so.

I prefer Shuffle to Rumble. While I usually despise games that have me wait to play again, or force me to buy a special currency, I think Shuffle did it okay. The wait time isn't that bad (Candy Crush I heard you had to wait an entire day.) and I have fun playing it. Rumble was fun to me for a time, but I got bored and stopped. The randomness of deciding where will you go irks me. I nearly always land on the world where I've caught everything, and the catching mechanics don't make sense to me. So, you finally found that Pyroar you wanted? SORRY IT BURSTED INTO COINS! That happens to me so many times. Shuffle has this simplicity for a while, but starts getting very hard once you beat Mega Ampharos. I know that because Mega Glaile made me quit the game for a few months...

But the main thing that makes Shuffle better to me though is that you are guaranteed a Jewel, unlike in Rumble where you may or may not get one from the Miis you rescue. In Shuffle, you defeat a Mega, you get one, or you get one for failing at a competition. Simple. Rumble's mechanic to try again by using a jewel irks me also, I don't want to waste money just because I fainted trying to catch a stupid Mareep while batting Flaafy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)