Frameworks and Redundancies in OU Teambuilding

INTRODUCTION:

I find frameworks to be advantageous to succeed in the process of OU teambuilding. There is no specific guide or formula that can guarantee the quintessential group of 6 Pokemon one may be looking for; however, using a framework during the course of teambuilding provides a simpler way of reaching the final product primarily due to the fact that frameworks help determine which Pokemon would be ideal for your team. To define a framework, I would simply say it is a list of guidelines that narrows down one's choices during the teambuilding process (read: not an absolute, but a recommendation). Limitless introduced one of his teambuilding frameworks (or formula, I will shift between both words throughout the OP) in his BW1 RMT. His formula, which is basically a "dumbed down" version of any given Hyper Offensive team, was the following:

• Lead
  • Breaker #1
  • Breaker #2
  • Utility
  • Sweeper
  • Scarfer

Pictured is Limitless's team listed so you can see what I'm talking about as I discuss. The above formula is what Limitless used as his baseline for his Hyper Offensive teams (obviously wouldn't work for stall). A lead is rather obvious in this formula: a Pokemon that sets Stealth Rock. In the team Limitless posted, he used Azelf as a lead. Azelf allowed Limitless to have a lead that could keep Stealth Rock off his side of the field while keeping Stealth Rock on the opponent's side. In DPP, this characteristic often categorized whether or not a lead was good in the metagame and still holds some merit today. Azelf's key to success was the ability to self-spinblock via Explosion while having a fast Taunt to stop other users of said move in their tracks. Azelf is not the only lead one may use if following the aforementioned formula, however. There are a myriad of options that are unique and have different niches. Garchomp in the current metagame can self-spinblock to an extent much like Azelf with Rough Skin and the occasional Rocky Helmet as an added bonus. This means spinners cannot just spam Rapid Spin until your lead dies or runs out of Stealth Rock PP. Terrakion punishes most spinners with its strong STAB's, but it still loses out to few. The list goes on and on and there are several options one can explore.

"Breaker" is a term Limitless nicked and it involves hitting opposing walls hard. Please note that this formula revolves around Hyper Offense and weakening counters. I will get to balanced and stall teams later. A breaker is often a sweeper that hits hard and requires you to weaken your Pokemon to kill it. The basis around this type of Hyper Offensive team is to have Pokemon with similar counters and weaken them so you eventually sweep. For example, Limitless' team (since I keep referring back to his team, you can find it here) used a Dragon Dance Dragonite as his primary breaker. How do you beat Dragonite commonly through defensive checks? Skarmory, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Landorus-T (now) and Scarfers with Hidden Power Ice or a Dragon-type move. The Pokemon in the former are all weakened drastically by Dragonite so that a late-game Salamence can sweep, while the latter are just set-up bait for the other breaker in Lucario. Speaking of Lucario, he is in a similar vein of weakening common physical checks. Once again, Pokemon like Skarmory and Gliscor are weakened so that one of your other Physical sweepers can finally sweep.

The rest of Limitless's formula is rather self-explanatory. A Scarfer is practically a fundamental necessity for each and every team. Not having a Scarfer results in your team typically being weak to opposing setup sweepers and other opposing Scarfers among other random fastmons (think: Dragonite, Salamence, Jolteon, Terrakion). A utility can be practically any Pokemon: It's a pokemon that fulfills the role of checking Pokemon that your team has a Problem with. Rotom-W and Scizor are the prime examples due to the fact that they can check a wide variety of Pokemon. Scizor checks Terrakion and Lati@s for Limitless, for example, which makes it an ideal Utility. Having your utility maintain momentum is key which is why Rotom-W and Scizor are ideal due to the fact they can Volt Switch and U-turn respectively. A sweeper on the formula is basically a breaker, however, being able to not "break" through a defensive Pokemon or building the team around a certain Pokemon relegates its status to this slot. Like I said earlier, having a formula does not guarantee success immediately. You still must have checks to most individual Pokemon (although that is less important in Hyper Offense) and cannot be flat-out 6-0'd by any typical sweeper. It takes testing to get your team to be ideal. Building a Hyper Offensive team around a Pokemon while keeping checks and counters in mind as well as using this formula as a guideline will help you create a well built team.

For more balanced-based teams, I personally have a basic formula I typically use. Unlike Limitless', it's not precise and personalizes each Pokemon slot. It's more of a list of things I like to have on a team and several slots can overlap.

• 2 Water-resistances if there is a "strong Water resist like Specially Defensive Rotom-W; 3 of them if you lack a strong one.
  • 2 Fighting-resistances
  • A Ground-type Pokemon
  • A Dragon or some other way to check Sun-teams
  • A Steel-type Pokemon to check Lati@s
  • A Pokemon that has a good matchup against most other leads; often this can be more than one teamslot to match up against all common leads
  • A priority-user with the capability of OHKO'ing Terrakion
  • Checks and counters to all common Pokemon
While it may seem like a lot, in actually it makes teambuilding a rather simple process. However, I'm going to reitterate this once again: this is not a required process to make a good team nor will it provide stellar results if you're uneducated in a metagame; you MUST build by using and keeping partners and synergy in mind. Let me provide an example of a sample team I just found in my file using the above format that is a good build. It was created by gr8astard in BW1.

Much like the team above, the team is still fit for the current metagame and is still relevant to talk about. Now, I want to prove my point on how you cannot just use a formula and expect it to work, but you need to build a team with the formula in mind. The team above, like I said earlier, was built around Gyarados. Gyarados' common stops are Rotom-W and Ferrothorn primarily, so Breloom was added as a partner. Politoed was also added as both Breloom and Gyarados appreciated rain support. For a Steel-type choice, the choice was fairly simple as Jirachi benefits from rain with its annoying Thunder and forms the GyaraRachi core which is very effective. Jirachi also resists Hurricane unlike its other common Rain Steel for Lati@s, Scizor, which the team needed. The team seemed like it wanted a spinner due to Gyarados' weakness to Stealth Rock, so Donphan was added as it could check Specially Defensive Jirachi while checking Dragons and providing Stealth Rock. Finally Latias was added for the secondary Fighting resist and sun check. Keep in mind that this is a team that was built using purely smart partners. As you can see, it fits into my mold of a balanced team, but you need to keep in mind the steps I listed above it took to create it. You cannot simply put in 6 Pokemon that have the characteristic I listed without having inherent weaknesses.

Now, I never really explained the reasoning behind my initial framework in the first place, so I will now. First off is the Water-resistances. Truth be told, rain is so dominant in the current metagame that you have to have 2-3 Water resistances. Specs and Scarf Hydro Pumps are just too painful otherwise. Espeically on balanced teams where all your Pokemon aren't major offensive threats, this is essential to a strong balanced teams. The second bullet, 2 Fighting-resists, isn't as crucial but still rather important. I find that fighters are some of the best Pokemon current in OU. Terrakion, Keldeo, Breloom, etc. are all S and A-ranked threats by the OU Viability listing. Having two resists is important to me because I find having such threats be Fighting, you need to counteract with resistances. However, if you were going to cheat on a rule, this would be the one. Next is a Ground-type Pokemon. I add this because having a Ground type insures that you aren't Jirachi weak and you have a bulky Pokemon along with an Electric-immunity. Next is a way to check Sun teams. Often a Dragon is best suited for this, but having something like a Flame Charge Heatran is also good. Just a SpDef Heatran alone will NOT work because Dugtrio is so common. Shed Shell Heatran can work, but not Dugtrio-prone sets. A steel-type to check Lati@s is rather obvious since they are such huge metagame threats. Scizor, Heatran, and Jirachi all work in this regard. A priority user to OHKO Terrakion is more of a rule of thumb in Balance teams to have a good priority user. Azumarill, Scizor, and Breloom all work here. NOTE: I often use a Poison Heal Breloom if I have Breloom and Scizor / another priority user on the same team, OR I change Scizor to something like a Scarfed varient to avoid redundancy. Lastly, a Pokemon to have a good lead matchup is rather crucial since otherwise you will lose to random Sashed Breloom or Sashed Tyranitar. A cool thing to try is Band Haxorus since it can OHKO all Sash Breloom leads with Dual Chop. Lastly, being able to go through the threatlist of common Pokemon and check / counters most of them is key. If you're 6-0'd by Landorus or Keldeo, obviously you need to switch up your team some. NOTICE: in Sun teams this framework isn't as relevant due to the different Pokemon they often contain from typical teams, but this is still a good guideline for most teams.

I will post a stall core eventually, but it is very different from Offensive and Balance and doesn't have a basic framework per se.

Anyways, I hope this helped clear the air about frameworks since I've seen a few questions about it in various threads.

As a side note, try to avoid redundancies as much as possible. I've seen a lot of people RMT a team with both Keldeo and Lucario; however, both have the offensive niche of checking Scizor and thus become redundant. Celebi and Latios on the same team can be cool, but in general they are the same basic Pokemon with similar goals and often become redundant. There is usually a better option, so try to avoid redundancies as much as possible!

CONCLUSION:

The purpose of this thread is to spark discussion on OU frameworks, your opinions on them, and how you think they should be used. What are common redundancies you see that you wish to address? Obviously do not limit the discussion to this and expand, but that is the basic goal I had in mind.

Thanks for reading.

p.s.s. Ginganinja rocks my world. He's the best! I am his eternal slave.

I can't really respond with any good frameworks as I haven't touched OU in so long (and the vast majority of my progress as a player and a teambuilder came from playing Ubers) but I'll try to give my 2cents anyways.

You listed your personal framework and justified it but I believe it can get even more flexible within the same playstyle. (at least it can in ubers) Although there are going to be a checklist of attributes that every team in that style is going to need to fill, I often build my framework once I've decided on the idea that I'm going to build around. For example, if I'm going to build around SubRoost Kyurem-W I'm going to look at what are the characteristics of the set. It's a set that is slow, difficult to switch in and hazards weak but it can severely punish free turns and munch many defensive cores. So right there I'll know that I'll need the following slots to contain a Spinner, SR setter and a Choice Scarf user (since it's not Stall). Another thing I'll note is that most of it's counters are bulky but offensively weak Steel-types which means that a Spike setter like Forretress can use them as setup fodder. Now I have a framework of Kyu-W, Forretress, Scarf mon, Spin Blocker, SR setter, filler. Eventually I'll fill this framework and make edits to make sure I have an efficient means to accomplish this goal while fulfilling the basic checklist as well as some ideal characteristics based around the set. (like a punch of pivoting to get Kyu-W in)

Also, for Stall you'll start with a basic framework of Ghost, Weather, Spinner, Spikes, SR, Filler with some of these roles being able to be compressed into one. (like with Forretress) Course, I haven't played OU in a long time so I don't know if this isn't true anymore.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Cool thread. I can see frameworks in basically any type of team.
Here is what i think about sun.
Everytime you try to build a sun team, you have too keep in mind a few things to make it work. You need at least one other resistance to water because otherwhise you wont take specs toed well. The first obvious choice is of course venusaur, one of the best clorophill sweeper in the tier. You can change it for something else like lilligant but you should just always use it unless you have a strong reason not to. unless you do an "hyper offense sun", you also need a spinner in order to win the weather war. if you chose xatu, then dugtrio its your best friend, thank to u-turn and the fact that it can trapkill all the srockers xatu cant beat. If you chose other spinners, like donphan or forretress, you will have more problems with heatran so you will have to use stuff like eq venusaur, a fight type, and basically all of your member has to beat heatran. hp ground volca or epower heatran are a good examples of things used with donphan and can help against heatran. You also need a steel type of course, and your main choices are scarf jirachi or heatran, you need them because sun teams are often dragon weak, and without any steel you will just lose to dmeteors. sun team often also needs a ground check, so you run latios in the last slot, or cresselia, where latios helps as a second water resistor and cresselia as a second dragon check. basically, depending on what you chose you also have to do several changes to your building, but the options are very limited and you almost always have to use the same things.
i could go on and do sand offense but its more difficult, since there are way more things you can run, but most of them always uses the same formula which is ttar/keldeo/latwins/grass (celebi or breloom) / steel (scizor or jirachi) / sr setter like lando-t, or maybe garchomp (and yes most of the time you dont use terrakion, at least in my experience)

Also, for Stall you'll start with a basic framework of Ghost, Weather, Spinner, Spikes, SR, Filler with some of these roles being able to be compressed into one. (like with Forretress) Course, I haven't played OU in a long time so I don't know if this isn't true anymore.
just want to comment on this, only sand stall (and sun...) uses a ghost sometimes, rainstall often doesnt have a slot for jellicent or sableye. honestly, ghosts arent that good in this generation to be a must on stall teams.

When building more defensivly orientated or balance teams one should also bare in mind not to get swept by certain combinations like Keldeo / Landorus + Ttar / Scizor, so Latias is not enough to check Landorus since it's most likely paired with a Pursuiter.

By the way, besides discussing your personal thoughts on frameworks and/or ways to avoid redundancies / redundancies you often see, etc. feel free to share your own frameworks and I may it in the OP. I'll probably change the formatting some to accommodate for more text.

just want to comment on this, only sand stall (and sun...) uses a ghost sometimes, rainstall often doesnt have a slot for jellicent or sableye. honestly, ghosts arent that good in this generation to be a must on stall teams.
Interesting. I've always considered a ghost almost mandatory on any stall team since stall teams get a large amount of damage from forcing switches + entry hazards. I guess most teams these days don't have a rapid spinner though?

Thanks for making this thread. I love it! Looking at your post I noticed the framework example for the Hyper Offence team is pretty similar to something I use. However I take other considerations when building these teams.

1. Lead
  2. Breaker #1 (Functions in Rain/Sun)
  3. Breaker #2 (Functions in Rain/Sun)
  4. Trapper
  5. Sweeper
  6. Scarfer
I never really liked finding one of my "breakers" useless in a certain weather condition. For example Dragonite with Fire Punch doesn't do so well in rain. This is why I always try to avoid Water/Fire attacks when I consider my breakers. If I do plan on using an attack (usually water) I'll back it up with ways to neutralise an undesired weather. For example Keldeo with Rain Dance or a Tyranitar as a trapper.

Also I agree with you that having two Pokemon that check similar Pokemon should be avoided. I feel that you should be able to check a wider range of Pokemon yet be able out-muscle your own check and counters in an offensive team.

I don't really play anything outside of offence so I'm not too familiar when it comes to balanced but I think having two/three water resist is important for these teams. And of course a way to deal with sun.

For stall, I tend to use an overall format of:

-Special wall #1
-Special wall #2
-Physical Wall #1
-Physical Wall #2
-Rapid Spinner
-Glue / General Check / Spin Blocker / Weather

This is a terribly gross simplification, almost all the time these roles are meshed together to maximize the team support, some times I don't even run 2 physical walls, and just one as other Pokemon, usually the Glue, cover the rest.

In those Pokemon, other roles must also be covered, namely something has to carry Stealth Rock and Spikes.

To break this down a little more, for physical walls, a typical bottle neck is Mamoswine, only a handful of Pokemon can adequately take it on: Skarmory, Slowbro, and Bronzong, to a certain extent Pokemon such as Jellicent and Ferrothorn can also work, although they require additional support. Also on rain teams, you may or may not need a Mamoswine counter, as you may counter it by virtue that it can't switch in on anything safely, Rotom-W is also something to consider.

After that, you need something to cover the holes in the physical front, such a Pokemon usually needs to have some way to combat Dragons as they tend to find a way through the main wall, this can be done through a secondary special wall or a check like a scarfer.

The special side is much more tricky, but generally, another bottleneck is Latios, Jirachi and Tyranitar are the only real counters, although you can play around with Heatran, Bronzong, and even Chansey and Blissey to a certain extent, Scizor can also be used to check Latios.

The special side is tricky because that's not the end of it, there are other bottlenecks that appear. The 2 other ones are as follows: Venusaur who's only counters are Latios, Heatran, Zapdos, and maybe flamethrower Blissey if your crazy. Furthermore, something is needed to sponge Rotom-W's volt switch, and this usually can't be the main special wall, as Rotom will wear it down, so this role is usually left to the grass type Glue of Celebi, Amoonguss, or Roserade, (such Pokemon also combat Breloom and Keldeo as a bonus) although other Pokemon like Latias or Gastrodon can be used if they are your secondary special wall. Remember, something must also cover Volcarona, but usually this isn't to much of a problem.

Rapid spinners are limited to pretty much just Tentacruel and Forretress, although Starmie and Donphan can be used but that is usually rare. Forretress deserves special mention for being an emergency check to Dragons.

Finally, a solid Scizor counter is pretty much a requirement at some point, although this is usually covered by other Pokemon, but it is important that somewhere on your team it is countered: Skarmory, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Gliscor, Zapdos, and maybe Gyarados.

After that, the team kind of falls into place ;) I think I am done with my crazy ranting for now. :3

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Interesting. I've always considered a ghost almost mandatory on any stall team since stall teams get a large amount of damage from forcing switches + entry hazards. I guess most teams these days don't have a rapid spinner though?
the problem is, that there are almost 2 spinblocker available, and you cant always use one of them because of reduntant typings or just because you have to use that slot to cover an another weakness. also, spinners has adapted to beat spinblockers, think about sub toxic tentacruel or volt switch forre+cbtar to beat jellicent.

I usually play balanced, and when making a new team I commonly use the following format:
~ Physical attacker
~ Special attacker
~ Physical wall
~ Special wall
~ Utility/another attacker/filler
~ Scarf
Notes:
  • Priority attacker
  • Water resists
  • Dragon resist
  • Sun check
  • Other ways to check the top threats in the meta
Of course this usually changes around and I keep in mind water resistances and other necessities of a team (listed above) while making this, but I find that generally this works pretty well. Commonly a Pokemon fill multiple roles and the team changes accordingly.

1. Lead
  2. Breaker #1
  3. Breaker #2
  4. Utility
  5. Sweeper
  6. Speed
[pimg]669[/pimg][pimg]248[/pimg][pimg]381[/pimg][pimg]212[/pimg][pimg]675[/pimg][pimg]677[/pimg]

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 244 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SAtk / 168 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Secret Sword

I can't claim this team as my own—especially considering nearly every competitive player has a version of it (or many versions of it) saved in their teams file—but it's a very effective example of a sand heavy offense team built with the Limitless formula in mind. It has all the little things I like to keep in mind in teambuilding too: a Ground-type, a Steel-type, two Pokemon that resist Water (though neither are strong resists, it's not too big of a deal for an offensive team), and a Dragon-type. It also fits the formula very well and there are very few weaknesses that it faces. I'll explain how it fits the formula first before going into how it matches up against common trends in the metagame; you can refer to the importable while I'm doing so because knowing the sets is fairly helpful.

The lead spot uses one of the most effective leads in the metagame, Focus Sash Terrakion. Azelf is not seen very often and Deoxys-D left OU a little while back, so Terrakion really has no trouble at all setting up Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is so important because it's necessary for Landorus and Keldeo to OHKO some common threats when you aim to sweep, but it also is effective because you have a Scizor with U-turn who will force a lot of switches, racking up a lot of Stealth Rock and sand passive damage. Close Combat and Stone Edge are obviously your STAB moves of choice, as they get near-perfect coverage together and help you do as much damage as possible in case you're not KOed after laying your hazard. Taunt is pretty much the standard move in the fourth slot because it prevents the opponent from laying Stealth Rock and it stops opposing setups, but there is a wide variety of moves that you can use. Swords Dance helps you start an early-game sweep if you don't worry about entry hazards on your side of the field, while Quick Attack helps you win a mirror match against opposing lead Terrakion (these occur quite often, actually).

The breakers on this team are Choice Band Tyranitar and Choice Specs Latios; their goal is to break holes in the opponent's team and wear down walls to help Landorus or Keldeo sweep in the late-game. Choice Band Tyranitar is such an excellent breaker for this team because it eliminates a lot of counters to a Landorus and Keldeo sweep including Latios, Latias, and Jellicent. It can't really beat Celebi because Baton Pass is so common, but if you Speed creep enough with Tyranitar, you can beat any Jellicent that comes your way. These are the main counters to a Keldeo and Landorus sweep, while the others are all much less common threats such as Gyarados. Latios simply has to spam Draco Meteor and do as much damage as possible, though I actually tend to go with the less powerful Expert Belt set to feign Choice Specs and hit other Pokemon with my coverage moves for surprise damage. Expert Belt and Life Orb sets have the added benefit of Recover to keep Latios healthy, but they aren't as strong, and consequently are not as effective breakers.

Choice Band Scizor is the utility Pokemon of choice because it acts as a backup Pursuit trapper, a Latios / Latias check (and further, a Dragon check in general), a Terrakion check, and a source of momentum. It also serves as a great backup plan because it can go on a late-game sweep with Bullet Punch if need be, bypassing its apparent lack of Speed. All you need to do is switch Scizor in on a favorable matchup and U-turn out (though you can also Pursuit on a Draco Meteor-locked Latios / Latias, but this situation doesn't occur very often because Latios / Latias players will generally be very conservative if they see a Scizor; they'll be even more conservative if they see both a Scizor and a Tyranitar). Everyone knows how Scizor works, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Rock Polish Landorus fills the sweeper role, and if you can ever bring it in on a favorable matchup and get a Rock Polish up, the game will almost always be over. Landorus always will 2HKO Latias after Stealth Rock, so if you can weaken an opposing Latias—generally a team's best Landorus counter—you'll do just fine. Obviously Gyarados and Celebi are problematic, but Gyarados has a hard time coming in and Celebi will get worn down because it has to wall so many threats on this team. Landorus is the team's win condition against a lot of common builds such as sun teams and some opposing sand teams, as Keldeo often has trouble against sun and sometimes Keldeo's Surf is too weak to sweep against opposing sand due to the Special Defense buff. While it's not a conventional Ground-type due to its 4x weakness to Ice-type moves that most Thunder users carry, it does suffice and fill the role of a team's Ground-type.

Keldeo is the speediest member of the team—a Choice Scarf is necessary so that you can stop opposing Speed-boosters in their tracks. Luckily, base 108 Speed is enough to outpace all common Dragon Dance users and Volcarona after a boost. Keldeo often does most of its work against opposing sand teams (that have already had all Rock-types weakened, otherwise Landorus is generally a better bet if it can get a Rock Polish in) and rain teams with Surf's power being boosted. Some opt for Hidden Power Electric and Icy Wind in order to take on Gyarados, one of the biggest threats to this team, but I generally find careful play to be more effective than the added insurance, especially with so many Gyarados running Substitute to prevent Keldeo from hitting them.

That's basically how the team conforms to the formula; it also has a lot of intricacies that I've touched on such as its use of Tyranitar and Scizor with Pursuit trapping to lead to a Keldeo or Landorus sweep. The team has a pretty good time against most teams in the metagame—sun is threatened very much by Landorus, who can come in and sweep on a moment's notice; rain will have trouble against Keldeo in the late-game once everything is put in Surf KO range; sand is pretty much taken down by either Landorus or Keldeo depending on how the opponent plays. Stall is a little bit harder to face with this kind of team, but Latios with Trick and Tyranitar's ability to remove some ubiquitous Pokemon on stall teams is a big help, especially if you can keep away entry hazards. Overall, this is a really good team and has been one since the beginning of SPL when it was standard fare; the Deoxys-D ban has only helped it. Hopefully you found this informative; I'd like to thank Bri for making this thread, as I've always wanted something like this in OverUsed.

:toast:

I've recently been using balanced hail to some success (around 1950 in OU, which is good for someone like me who hates the tier). What I've noticed is that a strong Hail team can really mess with other weather styles if you craft your team appropriately. While I wouldn't say the team I'm using now is great, it should serve as a decent example of a hail framework. Once again, bear in mind that Hail is more of an anti-playstyle than a playstyle, if you know what I mean.

Weather setter and lead
Abomasnow is your only option here, but he's by no means as bad as he's made out to be. An Expert Belt set consisting of Wood Hammer, HP Fire, Ice Shard and Earthquake can really mess up your opponent's early game strategies. You beat Politoed 1v1, and normally you can bait in Ferrothorn to hit it with a surprisingly strong HP Fire, doing around 65% to the standard set (in hail). Ninetales should force you out, but if you're feeling ballsy you can stay in and destroy it with EQ. T-Tar is outsped and destroyed by Wood Hammer. Scizor is outsped and is OHKO'd by HP Fire. Lead D-Nite will have its multiscale broken by Hail, allowing you to switch to a check and come back in to revenge kill if needed with Abomasnow. Any Sash leads can be ruined by Hail (bar Sash Terrakion, who tends to go straight for the kill rather than set up rocks from what I've played).

What I'm getting at here, is that Abomasnow is a very strong lead for Hail teams.

Rain Counter
Pretty much any water resist that can support Abomasnow works well here. In my current hail team I'm using Tentacruel, who synergises well with Abomasnow and provides spin support, which is crucial for hail teams. However, Kingdra, Jellicent, and Gastrodon are all great choices too. I discourage picking Ferrothorn or Celebi though, as they add to the Scizor weakness that hail teams usually suffer from. Seeing as Abomasnow is already a strong rain counter in itself, you shouldn't need to have more than one rain counter besides Abomasnow, though extra resists are nice. For example, I have Sub Roost Kyurem to take weaker water attacks that he can potentially set up on.

Sun Counter
Hail is somewhat limited to Heatran here, which is unfortunate, as it adds to the fighting weakness of hail teams. But by no means should that prevent you from picking Heatran. Tran stone cold walls many top sun threats, like Volcarona, Venusaur, Latias and Ninetales itself (they could all run ground coverage, but that makes them easier to deal with for the rest of the team). Whether you run offensive or defensive depends on the kind of team you have. I'm running defensive tran to stop Latios getting a kill every time it comes in, but balloon tran and specs tran are notable hail threats, balloon tran particularly pissing on sun teams.

Sun check
As Abomasnow is shat on by Sun teams, you'll probably want to run a secondary answer to sun teams, namely something that can revenge kill some of sun's biggest threats. Things like Terrakion, Gengar, and Starmie all work well here, and I'm sure there are others that you can experiment with. Terrakion is nice because it keeps other Terrakion at bay (unless your opponent is playing very aggressively), Gengar provides a crucial fighting immunity, and Starmie can set up Hail to throw a sun team completely off balance, as well as being able to hit hard enough to revenge kill things like Volcarona. Bear in mind though that these three pokemon all add to the Scizor weakness that hail has. Again, you're welcome to find other options to check sun, but these are just three that I use.

Sweeper
Unless you're running hail stall, which is a different ballpark, then you're going to want a strong late game sweeper. Your options here are extremely wide, as Hail does not limit pokemon in the same way that sun and rain do. However, one particular gem I've found is OTR Reuniclus. Over the course of battle, hail damage will really rack up on pokes without lefties, and if you can get hazards up too, you make Reuniclus' job so much easier. However, unlike the opponent, Reuniclus is not affected by passive damage at all, meaning that when your opponent's team is worn out in the late game, Reuniclus will be fresh and ready to sweep. With a set of Psychic, Focus Blast and Signal Beam, you can pretty much sweep any team that has its pokes below 70% without Jellicent when TR is up. Signal Beam is preferred over Shadow Ball because you still hit psychics very hard, but OHKO Sp.Def Celebi, a VERY prominent threat today, 100% of the time after SR and Hail (I run knock off Tenta to bait in Celebi and take out its leftovers).

Other great Hail Sweepers include Scarf Kyurem, who gets to spam monstrous Blizzards, Alakazam, who functions similarly to Reuniclus but with more coverage for less bulk, and Gyarados, who can set up on Scizor, a nightmare for hail teams.

Utility
Your last slot can be dedicated to whatever your team needs. Good spinners for hail are Starmie, Tentacruel and Kabutops, who can all check rain and can all beat Jellicent 1v1. Starmie can use Psyshock, Tenta can use Sub Toxic, and Kabutops can SD on the switch and break it with Stone Edge. If you need a scarfer, Kyurem, Terrakion, Rotom Frost and Keldeo are good choices. Kyurem can spam Blizzard, Terrakion can check sun teams, Rotom Frost can spam Blizzard and provide momentum with Volt Switch, and Keldeo can check common threats to Hail like Scizor, Terrakion, and Heatran. Of course, your team may need a poke to check certain threats, which is why this last slot is open to run whatever you need.

Note that I didn't cover sand in this guide, and that's because sand is such a diverse playstyle that I really can't give specific advice on building for it without writing an essay. I will say that Abomasnow+Tentacruel does very nicely against the ubiquitous BandTar+Landorus+Keldeo core that has been terrorising OU lately. Of course you will need a strong Scizor check and Fighting check, but those are normally covered by things in other slots, like rain counter.

If I said anything wrong then please inform me; I've only just started playing OU seriously, and this is simply what I've learned so far. However I'm always eager to learn more.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^^Not a long post but I want to point out that Abomasnow/Tentacruel/Heatran makes a solid FWG hail core and I can vouch for that.

Also for Hail Utility I can also Recommend SubRoost Kyurem with Blizzard + EP/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast as coverage. Does brilliant against rain. Rather fun to watch your opponent forfeit after you pressure stall them out of Stone Edge/Gyro Ball PP. Scizor amd Breloom remain an issues though, but you synergize well with Defensive Tentacruel.

personally i think reactive team-building is a bad idea unless you are stalling, and even when stalling in B/W you need to be extremely aggressive

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm with heist on this one. I "kinda" have frameworks on my offensive teams, but very loose ones. I build my offensive teams around the teams goal rather than taking too much of the opponent in mind. Now, that said I do have things I want on every team, but these are things like, need water resists, or really, need keldeo checks.

With stall though, its very much about frameworks, at least in my eyes.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
team frameworks are the dumbest thing and this is especially true in BW2. you shouldnt be building based on a guideline, you should be building based on executing the strategy before your opponent does. who cares if my team has no more than 1 water resist when the point of my team is to be able to overwhelm water mons to the point they cant attack.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Even successful stall teams imo place less importance on framework and more importance on strategy. You're not gonna win anymore by just countering the meta. That's far too impossible these days. You should be able to state how your team secures a win without even listing a single one of your pokemon, but by just their strengths and roles.

best framework for ou:

1. a pokemon with spore and priority with stupid high attack
  2. a pokemon with stab moves to hit both defences and near flawless coverage with HP bug and maybe an ice move that lowers speed or something
  3. a flying type but one with electric immunity maybe? make sure it has stupidly powerful ground stab, something like earth power
  4. the best type combo is bug-steel and you have no scarfer, so choose one with u-turn.
  5. a weather inducer with ridiculous attack and the power to trap 90% of the counters to your first 3 pokes
  6. whatever you want here, your team is unbeatable already just learn to play and you are top of ladder

it's quite tight but it's a solid framework.

team frameworks are the dumbest thing and this is especially true in BW2. you shouldnt be building based on a guideline, you should be building based on executing the strategy before your opponent does. who cares if my team has no more than 1 water resist when the point of my team is to be able to overwhelm water mons to the point they cant attack.
I'm assuming you would still come up with a framework to decide the best way to execute that strategy. I agree that having a specific framework for each specific playstyle isn't needed, but developing a team skeleton to help specify what roles need to be filled still helps in deciding which 6 you end up using. (rules of thumb can adapt as well)

best framework for ou:

1. a pokemon with spore and priority with stupid high attack
  2. a pokemon with stab moves to hit both defences and near flawless coverage with HP bug and maybe an ice move that lowers speed or something
  3. a flying type but one with electric immunity maybe? make sure it has stupidly powerful ground stab, something like earth power
  4. the best type combo is bug-steel and you have no scarfer, so choose one with u-turn.
  5. a weather inducer with ridiculous attack and the power to trap 90% of the counters to your first 3 pokes
  6. whatever you want here, your team is unbeatable already just learn to play and you are top of ladder

it's quite tight but it's a solid framework.
Breloom
?
landorus
scizor
?
?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Breloom
? - Keldeo w/ Mix coverage thanks to Secret Sword
landorus
scizor
? - CB Tyranitar forming the infamous KeldTar core
? - filler, usually filled by Latios/Ferrothorn/Jirachi/Spinner/SashKazam/Garchomp/Celebi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)