|
|
|
|
|
1513941285703.gif

Team-building Process:

-
Mega Diancie is one of my favourite mega pokemon and a mega i personally feel is underused in the OU metagame.It has a very important niche in breaking apart popular stall cores, it also has one of the best abilities in OU (Magic bounce) which allows it to beat most SR and sticky web leads.

1513962399570.png
-
The next Pokemon i chose to add was Volcarona. Volcarona appreciates diancie's ability of reflecting back hazards and therefore avoiding a 50% SR damage. Diancie also lures in many steel types and passive Pokemon such as Celesteela,Magearna,Toxapex and M-Scizor which Volcarona can use as set up bait and possibly sweep. The removal of these threats could also lead onto a late game sweep by Diancie as well.

1513962399570.png
-

Toxapex was the next pokemon i added. This was due to having multiple water weaknesses and a strong weakness to specifically keldeo and suicune. Toxapex also provides toxic spikes which allows this team to handle bulky pokemon and punish pokemon such as tapu koko and tapu lele which otherwise would enjoy switching in to toxapex. Lastly toxapex is a great SP.def pivot which can handle many special attackers such as magearna (lacking electrium Z), greninja and charizard-y.

1513962399570.png
-
The next pokemon i added to the team was Hippowdon. This pokemon was also a real stable for the team providing a solid stealth rock setter which can set up stealth rock multiple times throughout the match. Hippowdon was also vital for checking threats such as tapu koko and zygarde.

1513962757899.png
1513962399570.png
-
Rotom-Wash was the next pokemon i added to the team. Due to having volcarona having a defogger was vital for this team. I choose rotom wash as the defogger as it gave the team a ground immunity as well as momentum via voltswitch and being able to beat the leads diancie cannot e.g landorus, hippowdon etc. Rotom wash also helps the team deal with offensive water types if toxapex isnt a good counter.

1513965166882.png
1513962757899.png
1513962399570.png
-
Lastly due to a lack of switch in for psychic types i added Heatran. Heatran also can remove Toxapex and Chansey easily allowing Volcarona and Diancie to sweep the rest of the team. Heatran is also a useful fire immunity.

The Team

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Moonblast is a strong STAB attack which allows diancie to 2HKO if not OHKO frail pokemon or physically defensive pokemon. Diamond Storm is a physical STAB attack which allows Diancie to do very good damage to an incoming Chansey or OHKO fire threats such as Charizard or Volcarona, it also allows Diancie to kill araquanid, therefore preventing sticky webs. Hidden Power fire is a coverage move specifically for catching killing Scizor or Ferrothorn, Hidden power ice can also be used over fire to kill landorus in one hit usually preventing rocks. Earth Power allows diancie to catch toxapex on the switch or kill opposing diancie's and heatran's.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z /Psychium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Bug Buzz/Psychic

Quiver Dance along with Z move allows volcarona with one quiver dance to sweep through an entire team with minimal effort.Fire blast is volcarona's main stab and with a +1 boost can blow away lando-t among others.Hidden power ground is a counter to heatran and pretty much nothing else.Bug buzz is used to remove the lati-twins and tyranitar, along side swarm it can blow away many non-resistant threats at +1, Psychic is another option along side the z move which allows volcarona to kill toxapex at +1 w/ shattered psyche .

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Volt switch gives the team momentum.Hydro pump is a powerful stab which can be used to weaken heatran and lando-t.Defog can remove hazards for the team (volcarona).Will o wisp can burn physical threats and give residual damage to pokemon such as toxapex and celesteela

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Mixed Def hippowdon is an almost perfect check/counter to tapu koko and electric types in general. Stealth rock pressures the opposing team and due to hippowdon's bulk and recovery can allow it to keep getting it back up in the event it is defogged. Earthquake is a powerful STAB allowing hippowdon to have some kind of pressure and kill frailer pokemon. Whrilwind allows hippowdon to prevent being set up bait to bulky attackers e.g zygarde

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
-Flash Cannon/Toxic
- Taunt

Magma storm is fundamental for heatran to trap threats such as Toxapex and Chansey. Earth Power is used to kill opposing heatran's and toxapex once trapped. Flash cannon is vital for removing tapu lele and other fairies. Taunt is to prevent ferrothorn,toxapex and other passive pokemon from setting up hazards or healing

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Scald allows toxapex to burn opponents or give residual chip on pokemon such as celesteela.Haze prevents toxapex being used as set up bait. Recover helps toxapex's longevity allowing it to stall stronger pokemon. Toxic spikes allows toxapex to pressure frailer pokemon such as tapu koko and tapu lele from freely coming in on toxapex

ThreatList
Psychic Spam (
+
)

Due to how powerful both these pokemon are and the speed they have, heatran is serverly pressured and cant come in on attacks as often as it would like which could lead to pokemon being sacked or the team being swept

Pinsir
1513974173855.png
(Or flying spam)

This pokemon is a powerhouse and most of the defensive pokemon on my team are unable to revenge kill it due to being too passive except for rotom-w,however if rotom wash takes too much damage it might not be able to check it.

Ash-Greninja
1513974522288.png

This is another pokemon which if the player is smart and doesnt allow it to be whittled down via poison chip or burns. It can easily break through this team due to toxapex not being able to actually kill greninja. My personal way to remove greninja is to get up tspikes and bait out the greninja

1513975226796.png
&
1513975386813.png
Quagsire & Gastrodon

These pokemon are VERY annoying for this team as i lack any supereffective moves to remove these threats, instead i rely on poison chip to usually get rid of these pokemon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is a very cool team. Volcarona + Diancie is one of my favourite cores.

• Apart from the threats you noted, this team lacks proper speed control in my opinion, with Diancie being the fastest thing. Because of this Greninja and Tapu Koko can break through if their counters are weakened.

• It's also really weak to strong ground types if rotom dies, since everything except Hippowdon and Volcarona (which is usually too frail to take hits) is hit super effectively.

MAJOR CHANGES

479w.png--> 797.png
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

First change would be changing your main ground immunity to Celesteela, which is stronger against bird-spam and especially psychic-spam.

Its bulkier and has more realiable recovery in leech seed + leftovers which means Tapu Lele and Alakazam will have a tougher time wearing it down.

450.png --> 645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus provides you with speed control to force out threats like Tapu Koko, Greninja and others.

It helps vs DD Dragonium-Z Zygarde which could quite easily sweep the team before.

It also gives you a defogger in case diancie can't prevent rocks, since rotom is removed.

I understand this can make specs Tapu Koko harder to switch into, Landorus still switches into Thunderbolt but fears Dazzling Gleam and HP Ice.

The thing about this team however is Tapu Koko is usually predictable.

VS. Heatran they have to click T-bolt, Volt-switch or U-turn or they risk getting trapped and OHKO'd.

VS. Volcarona is the same and more so because Volc can setup on anything that isn't T-bolt.

VS. Diancie would be the same as Heatran unless they weakened it to Dazzling Gleam range.

MINOR CHANGES

637.png
Volcarona @ Buginium Z /Psychium Z
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz/Psychic

The reason for this is pretty obvious, to take on the likes of Quagsire and Gastrodon.

The loss of HP Ground means Heatran pretty much walls you, but the rest of the team already pressures Heatran enough to the point where I think Giga Drain is better.

485.png
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Lastly you need a replacement rocker and I think Heatran fits.

I dont see a whole lot of good in using Flash Cannon since Magma Storm already hits most Fairies hard enough.

Clefable is 1v1'd and can't touch Heatran anyway.

Tapu Lele is still 2hko'd but the chance of missing is annoying I guess.

Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko are both blown away by Magma Storm.

You could run Stealth Rock on Diancie but I think all 4 of Diancie's moves are more valuable

That's all I have. I hope some of these suggestions were helpful and improve the team without making it too much weaker to anything else.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/e30048a3fdef4fba

~~719-m.png637.png797.png645-s.png485.png748.png~~​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)