ORAS OU Fly away my children... Fly, Fly away.

Introduction

The monster, the terror, the royalty of X and Y cores is back. I got a bird spam team for you all. I recently started laddering up on a new alt... shudder.... and that of course meant I had to once again deal with the unpredictability of the low ladder. I stared in shock as my Garchomp went down to a scarf hp ice Magnezone. That was when I knew if I was going to survive this madness... i had to go for some mindless hazard stacking offense, and then I decided to tack on a bird spam core because why not. I have so far been playing mindlessly, usually 2-3 games at a time with this team, and have reached about 1400 on ladder, and have still climbing steadily over the past few days.

The Team

AmIHuman (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Megahorn

As hazard stacking is one of the best strategies for the low ladder, I decided on lead Scolipede in order to set up my hazards. It's also one of the best mons against new players due to endeavor as many of them will immediately bring it down to its sash instead of breaking it first. The only downside to this lead is that its lack of taunt sometimes allows hazards to be set up. However it beats Starmie one of the two premiere rapid spinners in the tier. Megahorn is the only attacking move however it beats many of the psychic types I am weak to. (Zam, Latis, Starmie, ect), along with a couple of the dark types (Weavile, Tyranitar,). (For those of you wondering 29 HP IVS ensure I break other Scolipedes Sashes with Endeavor without having to risk Megamiss)

Deagle (Talonflame) (M) @ Life Orb/Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost / U-Turn
Talonflame was the beginning of the bird spam core I had in mind for with this team, and he does not disappoint. Brave Bird is the nonchalant easy 120 Base Power priority stab move that we all love. I decided to run Flare Blitz as it's not very present in this meta and also helps me beat a lot of the steels that threaten this core, (Skarnory, Scizor, Magnezone). Swords Dance instantly makes Talonflame's attack stat 574. For the last move I've been torn between roost and U-Turn. The difference between the two is huge, one loses momentum and one gains it. I've been using U-Turn as with how stealth rock weak the team is I can't afford to lose momentum ever but I'll leave it up to you guys. I've also been wondering about life orb vs. sharp beak. I've been using LO but the recoil is so damn high. For reference a brave bird to tank chomp does 43.1%-45.6% to Talonflame. However the power drop is very noticeable.

Goliath (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat
The second member of my Birdspam core, Mega Pinsir has always been somewhat of an enigma to me. This thing was the bane of X and Y. You couldn't build a team without having a "Counter" to this thing, especially after Aegislash left and you could run CC again. However, it's usage plummeted in ORAS for reasons unknown to me. Anyways this monster has 150 base attack and isn't giving any F**** about most teams. Heatran is Ohkoed by Close Combat, and most Skarms are 2hkoed by this thing. Usually most games end with either this or Talon cleaning, and this is also a very good wallbreaker. Swords Dance brings this things attack to a jolly good 818 attack. This combined with the 199 BP move that is Return after Aerilate and Stab causes this thing to 2HKO literally every viable pokemon in the metagame. Even Mega Aggron... the bulkiest thing with any viability in OU is 2HKOED by Close Combat, after a Swords Dance, even if Mega Aggron is max HP, max Def Bold.
(+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 172-204 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
Quick Attack is the flying type priority move that helps this to clean against most teams, and also helps to KO alot of HO threats to my team.

Aimchin (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
While testing this Team out this was originally Focus Sash Chomp. Problem was that after it took one hit or even SR damage, my entire team lost to Fast Electric threats such as (Mega Manectric, Raikou, Thundurus (all forms), and various other common HP Ice mons. While stealth rock is a little weird on a choice scarf set I've seen it work out marvelously on Lando-T and it is a great bluff in many games. Outrage gives me the power I need to wallbreak against much of stall, while the EdgeQuake combo helps me beat the aformentioned checks to my team, especially with the choice scarf which often makes them go for hp ice against a weakened Garchomp. Outrage is much stronger than dragon claw... but I've always been scared off outrage and with this gen its more true than ever. So while I am asking you to choose which you think would be better, I also say I'm partial to Dragon Claw. With how common the tank chomp set is this has caught a lot of teams off guard and helped to clean in quite a few games.

North (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Starmie is a weird mon... I'll be honest. No water stab may seem a bit weird, however Lando and Chomp are such threats to my team that I needed the Ice Coverage. As this is my Keldeo switch in I needed to be both bulky, carry Psyshock and be able to recover health. Furthermore due to how incredibly entry hazard weak my team is, this thing needed to live through much of the match. Therefore I opted to the water stabless set you see here. Max speed helps it rapid spin against most of the metagame, and 0 atk IVS ensure minimum Confusion/Foul play damage, and tbh even with 31 Atk IVS rapid spin isn't doing much damage anyway.
(0- Atk Life Orb Starmie Rapid Spin vs. -6 0 HP / 0- Def Caterpie: 135-160 (58.4 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) While I know this attack is against Caterpie the defensive GOD, it still illustrates my point.

Midas (Azumarill) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off/Superpower
The finaly member of my team... Azumarill. Originally a Rotom-Wash I thought I was doing great until... o ya I found a Lati. This thing is my only Lati switch in and counter along with a massive portion of the rest of the metagame. (Latis, Weavile, Rain, Sand, Loppunny, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, Zard-X, Mega Altaria, Chomp, and finally Mega Sableye which is the bane of all Hazard Stacking). So ya... I guess you could call this the glue for this team. This is just standard Bulky Azu with the only question I have being if I should go knock off or Superpower on it.

Weaknesses
Fast Electric types: No switch ins for Raikou / Manectric except Garchomp and then it's a mind game between HP Ice of electric move.
Lati Twins: For both of these my only check is Azu and it has no recovery... If thats gone I get 6-0d.
Stealth Rock + Spin Blockers: Heatran plus Mega Sableye core destroys this team. Once Heatran sets up SR then its almost impossible to get SR off the field... especially if Azu gets burned. TBH this is a problem with almost all Ghost types.
Bisharp: Simple... Does massive damage to everything not named Azu with Sucker Punch and Azu dies to Iron Head. While I can 2HKO with everything except Starmie, and OHKO with everything except Scolipede on top of that... it still hurts everything.
Clefable: Not much to hit this thing with... usually I try and Endeavor on it with Scolipede which really reduces the amount of hazards I can set up.
Rotom-Wash + bulky water types: This team has a lot of trouble with these mons due to almost nothing to KO them. Rotom Wash is probably the worst of these but stuff like Azu and Manaphy gives problems too.
Talonflame: Ah yes... the bird still turns on its master. It's very hard to build an HO team without being weak to Talon in some way or another, and when your best check is Scarf Chomp you know you have a problem.

Conclusions

I could go on and on but that would make this longer than it already is so I'm going to submit it to you guys to see what you like about it and what you don't (SR Choice Scarf Chomp works guys trust me :P).

Anyways thanks ahead of time for taking the time to trek up this mountain of text regardless of whether or not you leave a comment. Have a good day, and thanks ahead of time to the Raters which work so hard on these threads.

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team, but struggles against some common Pokemon.
>

For all Birdspam teams fast electics are a huge threat. Azumarill just amplifies this weakness.
I recommend LO adamant Bisharp > Azumarill to deal with Lati twins and force them out. Also Sucker Punch is great for late game sweeps. Does a lot to Manectric and Raikou(see calcs), putting them it in range of Talonflame after Rocks damage. Many teams with Manectric lead with it, so if you lead Bisharp they can't mega evolve because of defiant or if they attack they die.
Lati trembles in fear against Bisharp too, because of Pursuit or Sucker Punch, but they are at a disatvantage since you can always go for Sucker Punch catching them at some point in time. Also if you Knock Off Rotoms and if they switch in on Rocks + a little more chip damage, they are in range of Close Combat from Pinsir. Excadrill in sand is a huge threat too, but it can't attack Bisharp without being in range of priority attacks.
Bisharp&Pinsir
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 152-179 (50.1 - 59%)
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 102-121 (33.6 - 39.9%)
Raikou&Manectric
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 218-257 (77.5 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 231-273 (71.9 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs Excadrill
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 273-321 (75.6 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Life Orb and Analytic are the superior choices for your team since all boosts are appreciated. Your version of Starmie is just too weak. Hydro Pump > Recover because I don't see the point of Recover. You switch into Keldeo once or twice and then revenge it with Pinsir or Talonflame late game. It also hits everything very hard on the switch with Life Orb+Analytic boost.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash | Rough Skin
Naive 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Fire Blast / Draco Meteor / Stealth Rock / Earthquake

To put even more pressure on Birdchecks I remmend mixed Sash Garchomp. Draco does a lot to Landorus, Hippowdon, Rotom and other physically defensive Birdchecks. It also does a lot to opposing Garchomp which annoy you too. Sash can surprise Raikou and Manectric removing them from the opposing team. I took the calcs from celes from this rmt.
vs Rotom
252 SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 144-171 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk burned Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 90-106 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs Garchomp
252 SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 320-380 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 354-416 (84.2 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 212-252 (50.4 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs Lando
252 SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 153-181 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

>

Heatran @ Air Balloon | Flash Fire
Timid 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Fire Blast / Earth Power / Flash Cannon / Stone Edge

Scolipede makes your team really weak to Birds. Spikes is nice but you should include a Birdcheck in that Slot. Also a Pokemon that removes Skamory is needed.
I recommend Heatran > Scolipede. Stone Edge hits Talonflame. This Heatran also does a lot to Sableye with Fire Blast, as it gets killed eventually. If you don't want to risk the miss and want to get the burn on it, you can use Lava Plume>Fire Blast, but you lose some power.
The balloon allows you to switch into Earthquakes from Lando, to damage them for Pinsir as they can't touch you immediatly. It is also a surprise factor against Excadrill.
vs Sableye
252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Mega Sableye: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
vs Talonflame
4- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 316-376 (96.6 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Sharp Beak>Life Orb because of recoil.

Last edited:
Shui3 I'll make a more formal reply to you as I actually liked what you had to say, but I don't have time right now. However, kidsafeshark... This is not a balance team... This is hyper offense. Have you ever even used HO? If you have I believe the closest you have gotten in bulky offense not true hyper offense. Rather than explain for the 50th time what HO is I direct you to this link to read about the playstyles... There are two good posts early on explaining HO including a guide to build a team which you might want to take a look at... http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/concepts-in-teambuilding.3552468/

OK after you read that heres my response to what you said. Starmie is tied with excadrill for the best spinner on HO. It's fast enough to spin on 90% of the meta... And even if it dies you aren't playing hyper offense right, especially with this team if you let the opponent set up stealth rock twice. Second, talon is a God against opposing hyper offense which is the hardest thing for this team to play against. Pinsir singlehandedly destroys stall and hyper offence beats balance almost every time. Talon and pinsir also forms one of the best cores in the game as they weaken each others counters magnificently. Finally Azu was exactly what I was looking for in a spot. He switches in on lati every time it comes in... He ohkoes mega sableye if no burn, and he's a backup check to keldeo. He's not useless nor is he a tank. He is a wallbreaker that's not deadweight against opposing hyper offense.
EDIT
For the record kidsafeshark has deleted his post.. I'm sorry if I was rude but I hate it when people don't understand what they are talking about.

Last edited:
OK first of all... Shui3 thanks for the competent rate. I agree with a lot of the points you made though I also have a few problems with some of the changes.
First of all Bisharp > Azu
Yes,yes I wish I thought of it myself... With just this change the team would be better. The only nitpick is this makes my team more weak to mega sableye. Also should I go iron head knock off sucker and pursuit or swords dance.
Second Starmie.
While I can definitely see the merit of the boost in power, and I can get behind the Hydropump change, I still always prefer natural cure. A statused Starmie, especially when hit with the yellow magic that is thunder wave loses games and when that one time I might be too slow or full parad means 2 members of my team come in with 50℅ less health... I can't afford the loss of status absorption.
Next Garchomp
Focus sash was what I've used most of the time against other teams but I've never tried special Garchomp... Still not sold on the idea tbh.... I see the idea if it but its not like Garchomp is kyreum black. It's got 130 base attack and 80 base special attack. I've used fire blast to beat bulky steels like skarm but I'm not sold on a max special attack set.
Heatran
Ya me and heatran arnt friends... I've never used the thing and don't see the purpose in it... Especially on a hyper offense team. It may just be my inexperience with the king of heat but I usually see it in a balance role. If you could give some real proof of how its not just loss of offensive momentum is consider it but ya... I know nothing about this Mon.
EDIT
Biggest crow eating session of my life... This thing is amazing on my team... This things coverage beats so many of my teams counters... Also alot of the switchins to this thing still lose against this set... Absolutely fantastic... I need to use this thing more often.
Talonflame
Ive considered sharp beak from the start... Your opinion has been noted.

Only major problem I see is again how sableye weak these changes make me. This is actually getting close to a situation where I can't ko the thing...
The only other thing I noticed is that Bisharp actually ohkoes with defiant boost... And I think damage calcs takes into account intimidate so he might okoe without it.

Anyways feel free to respond or not to this post... Thanks so much for the help either way.

Last edited:
Hi Spoiled Rotten, nice team, I have some suggestion to improve your team. First of all I don't really like Stealth Rock Scarf Garchomp, since it gets locked on sr, and that's not good, I prefer if you switch Scolipede for Choice Scarf Tyranitar, with Pursuit, which helps against Latwins and mostly against Talonflame, which destroy your team pretty much, since your team is destroyed by Mega Diancie, you could run Earthquake if needed, also it has a great sinergy with Mega Pinsir. After this change you could actually change Scarf Chomp to Tank Chomp, which helps against Mega Lopunny, Bisharp and give Talonflame some recoil either, and set up your Stealth Rock, with Fire Blast because without Talonflame you lack of fire power.

After those changes you still have problems against electric types, and the double water presence doesn't help you; running Latios over Starmie might be a solution, helping against electric types and could make the same role as a hazard removal, now it doesn't make any difference if you defog or spin, because you don't have Spikes anymore; Surf is pretty much to threat Mega Diancie as much as possible, having great chance to OHKO, it's to hit sdef Hippo without a Special Attack drop, Excadrill either, which resists to both Latios STABS. Rotom is a bulky water, which checks most of your sweepers, taking pretty well any hit from Mega Pinsir, since +2 Close Combat doesn't KO, and talonflame after swords dance can't either KO. I recomend you to try Liechi Berry Taloflame, which put in rage rotom on a Close Combat +0, and hit Mega Diancie. The last change is to make Band Azumarill over the Assault Vest, since you already have some solution against Latwins, and most of electric types, thanks to Tyranitar + Latios.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Superpower

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

Talonflame (F) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Natural Gift

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I hope it helped, gl.

Well people remember that this guy can't change his entire team. Just improve the sets of the pokemon he/she chose. In this case, If you want
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 240 Hp/252 Atk/16 spDef
Adamant
-Aqua Jet
-Superpower
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
in order to set up the Belly Drum, you gotta sac a pokemon near fainting. If you try to open and hope for a switch, you could have dire consequences. I suggest after looking at a team, you open with Azu for Talonflame and Aqua Jet it (it'll die after a brave bird due to your investments in Hp[to clarify, it will brave bird first then get killed by an aqua Jet]) but that's if you think your opponent is bold. Otherwise, set up a Belly Drum and sweep from there. Any other leads like ferrothorn and heatran, set up rocks with a sashed TankChomp and seize a switch in opportunity..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)