Flareon (Mixed) +

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/flareon

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Return
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely
EVs: 192 Atk / 148 SpA / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Flareon, a Pokemon normally looked down upon due to its low Speed and shallow movepool, is able to break a number of UU walls with the use of a mixed attacking set. Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in, due to the possibility of Earthquake or Stone Edge. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO standard Clefable (252 HP / 152 Def Bold) and Ninetales when factoring in Stealth Rock. Hitmonlee is always OHKOed even without Stealth Rock. Return allows Flareon to 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def Calm) and Grumpig 100% of the time when taking into account Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and gives Flareon decent type coverage when paired alongside Fire Blast and Superpower. Hidden Power Grass allows Flareon to OHKO standard Quagsire. Hidden Power Ice is Flareon's best option against Altaria, but Flareon can only revenge kill Altaria before it has the opportunity to Dragon Dance.</p>

<p>The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but also achieve a bonus stat point. With 168 Speed EVs, Flareon has a Speed stat of 208, allowing it to outspeed those Pokemon with base 85 Speed with no EV investement. The remainder of EVs are placed into Special Attack in order to maximize the damage dealt by Fire Blast. Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is used so that neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced.</p>

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
switching in, due
Are there odd symbols next to in? They show up on my computer and in notepad... so I guess remove them.

edit: ok now they're not showing up in my post. Still see them though /crazy?

The specified Attack EVs not only allow Flareon to 2HKO standard Grumpig and Hypno with Return, and OHKO Clefable with Superpower, but also achieve a bonus stat point.
I think it sounds better with a comma after Return.

Only things I saw, nice job.

Due to Flareon's already paltry base 60 Defense, a Lonely nature is so that neither of Flareon's attacking stats are reduced.
After "is", shouldnt sth like "preferred" or "favourable" be there ?

Are there odd symbols next to in? They show up on my computer and in notepad... so I guess remove them.

edit: ok now they're not showing up in my post. Still see them though /crazy?
I see them too, they need to be removed

base 85 Speed that do not invest EVs into the stat.
"base 85 Speed with no EV investment"

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I can see the odd symbols too, so you're not crazy jimbo ;)

<p>Fire Blast nets a guaranteed OHKO against max HP / max SpD Steelix, but Flareon must be careful when switching in, due to the possibility of Earthquake or Stone Edge hitting you. Superpower allows Flareon to always OHKO standard Clefable (252 HP / 152 Def Bold) and Ninetales when when (there's two 'when') factoring in Stealth Rock.
Thanks for your time, keep it up.
EDIT: They're also not showing in my post >.<

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Great set, I has the plesure to battle it yesterday, good peer edit.

You still suck at UU though

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Return allows Flareon to 2HKO standard Hypno (252 HP / 64 Def Calm) and Grumpig 100% of the time when taking into account Stealth Rock and Leftovers and gives Flareon decent type coverage when paired alongside Fire Blast and Superpower.
If that is indeed Return's main selling point, would Bite be worth considering?

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I guess Return also allows you to hit fellow Fire types for neutral without the side-effects of Superpower.

Great set by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)