First Team

First off, I'd like to say that yes, my team might be a bit unconventional. I've used it to some success on Pokemon Online, but have encountered difficulties now and then. Therefore, I'd appreciate any suggestions you could give to improve this. It is also the first time I've made a team on my own, so just know that!

AT A GLANCE :

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS :

I wanted to build a team around a Mew built as a Sweeper. I thought due to it's really balanced stats and gigantic movepool, it could be used to great effect. Therefore, Mew was the first to be chosen.

Next up was my idea of passing one of the new Gen 5 stat boosts to it, to give it an edge when using Calm Mind to bulk up. Since Smeargle is the most versatile pokemon there is, it can learn all the new stat boosting moves as well as baton pass it.

When bulking up/baton passing, Smeargle especially is extremely weak. Therefore, I figured a Light Screen and Reflect support would go a long way in ensuring it's survival. For this reason I chose Deoxys-S as my Light Screener, as well as used to Stealth Rock. It also has taunt to prevent the opponent from setting up the same.

I wanted something to counter other weather teams, and decided to use the new Ninetales with Drought to change the weather as it suited me.

The fact that Gengar has a number of immunities and has gigantic speed made me want it in my team. It can switch in on an Earthquake and other ground moves that Ninetales in particular invites.

And finally, Tyranitar is a big threat in today's game. It gives both Ninetales and Gengar problems, and isn't effectively countered by anything else I have. Machamp is a really good counter to it, and can switch into any of it's moves without worrying and proceed to destroy it with Dynamic Punch.

IN DETAIL :

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt

EVs are spread to ensure I outspeed anything and to maximize survival. I use it as a suicide lead of sorts, taunting to ensure opponent does not set up Stealth Rock and getting Reflect and Light Screen up as soon as possible. Light Clay is to increase the number of turns both LS and Reflect last, of course.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Butterfly Dance
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Taunt

Either switching in when I know it's safe, or switches in when Deoxys-S faints. Focus Sash is to ensure I survive at least 2 turns. EV spread again, to maximize survival and to make sure I out-speed mostly anything with one speed boost from Butterfly Dance. Basically, I spore on turn 1. Butterfly Dance on turn 2 when a switch happens, and then baton pass either immediately or after another Butterfly dance, depending on the situation. Couldn't really think of anything better in the last slot, Taunt seemed like a good option to ensure I'm able to get the BP off, if such a cause for concern exists.

Mew @ Lum Berry
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Roost
- Aura Sphere

The stat boosts gained by Smeargle are passed onto Mew. With LS and Reflect hopefully still up, and the obscene defensive EVs I've given Mew, as well as the S.Def boosts from Butterfly Dance, Mew will be hard as hell to faint. I can proceed to either Calm Mind once or twice, or do so when I predict a switch. Speed boosts from Butterfly Dance will also help in ensuring I go first most of the time. Lum Berry is to clear status ailments which can stop a sweep. The moveset is to ensure maximum coverage and Roost is self healing. Another option I thought of was using Leftovers and Substitute to take care of stat problems. I'm not sure which one would be better.

Machamp (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Payback
- Stone Edge

Pretty standard Machamp setup. Three attacking moves for coverage, and substitute for when I predict a switch. I can switch into Tyranitar and possibly Heatran without fear and destroy it with Dynamic Punch.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Again, standard Gengar set. Life Orb is used to ensure I get some OHKOs which I will not get without. Since it doesn't stay in the field for very long, the backlash dmaage from Life Orb isn't too much of a problem.

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable
- Substitute

Highly defensive Ninetales setup. Will-O-Wisp for burning physical attackers, substitute to ease prediction and Flamethrower for STAB, which hurts in sunlight. Couldn't think of anything good for the 4th slot, but I found a use for Disable once or twice, so I threw that there. The speed EV is given to let it outspeed some threats.

KNOWN THREATS :

Following are the threats I have encountered to the strat, I would appreciate any insight into how to get around them.

1. Topping the list is the danger of Roar and Whirlwind.

2. Sandstorm weather screws up the Focus Sash of Smeargle, giving it no way to survive. Ninetales counters this somewhat, but it's still an issue.

3. A huge problem is status ailments on Mew when I've set up Calm Minds and have baton passed to it. Lum Berry helps, but if I get status'd again, I have no way out.

4. Haven't encountered many of these, but Haze did prove to be a problem in a fight or two.

5. Hail is also an issue, but not as much as sandstorm is.

Basically, if setting up Mew fails, I don't really have many options to win. I was wondering if you could suggest something to fix that. I do not want to change the basic idea behind the team of course, but over and above that any suggestion will be welcomed. I've noticed most of the times I've won, it was also due to the unexpectedness of this strat, so I assume this is somewhat unconventional.

I recommend putting Smeargle in the lead slot. You'll at least be able to get a Spore off on Hippowdon and don't have to worry about your sash right away. Dance one or twice and then pass to...

Espeon!

Swap Deoxys for Espeon. Espeon has the benefit of being immune to Taunt, Roar, direct status, etc. It's a much better second recipient.

Espeon@Light Clay
Magic Mirror
Timid 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Reflect
Light Screen/Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Grass Knot/HP Fighting/HP Fire

Espeon can easily set up a Reflect without worry and Calm Mind once or twice more before BPing to Mew, who if is going to be a sweeper could use come adjustment.

Mew@Lum Berry
Syncronize
Modest 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Psychic
Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball
Roost/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
A sweeper wants max SpA for certain. There's probably a good speed number to outrun certain mon after a +1 in speed but I don't know offhand. Probably enough to outrun Timid Scarf Shandera. Psychic/Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball provide unresisted coverage and great STAB against neutral targets. HP Fire is great for Scizor and Ice is great against 4x weak dragons.

Ninetails isn't doing enough for your team. Weather isn't really an issue so I wouldn't dedicate a whole slot to something frail like Ninetails. Whimsicott on the other hand can help you set up by spreading around priority paralysis and use Memento making set up much easier. Latias with Wish is also a probability, but you're pretty Dark weak as it is.

You have quite a bit of redundant coverage on your Pokemon, a combination of Fighting and Ghost/Dark moves seem to be prevalent. You also are super weak to offensive Ghosts like Gengar who can own three members of your team. And why do you have a Hardy nature on your Deoxys? It needs to have either a Timid or Jolly nature. Another thing, I am really not liking your Mew set. Smeargle seems to be your Baton Passer, and your only Baton Passer. Give Mew Baton Pass so it can escape situations like Scizor coming in to ruin your day. Also, Ninetales is definitely NOT a weather counter. Two of the three other permanent weather starters have the type advantage over it, and it certainly won't beat them one on one. Politoed is a much better weather counter as it has the type advantage over Ninetales and Tyranitar, and can utilize toxic and encore to mess with your opponent. Smeargle is outclassed by Venomoth when it comes to Butterfly Dance passing...VENOMOTH. Venomoth has higher speed and can actually use its boosts before passing. It even gets Sleep Powder (which is not as good as Spore, but serves the same purpose). I also think that Gengar was kind of randomly thrown onto your team, it doesn't really fit the team, to be frank. Replace it with Ferrothorn, who can support your team with Spikes, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, and Thunder Wave. If you choose to run Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn, you can make room for Magic Coat on Deoxys' moveset, rendering Michievious Heart abusers useless.

Edit: Jaroda's suggestion of Espeon is a novel idea, I can't believe I didn't think of it... Do utilize MM Espeon as it can also baton pass.

Just a few comments and suggestions, hope I helped.

Venomoth is a great idea, it definitely sounds like a better option to pass Butterfly Dance. I will try that out today.

Espeon was a fantastic idea, taunts stopped being an issue completely. The only disadvantage to that was not giving Mew Calm Mind. Mew is bulky enough to take a few hits while using CM, whereas Espeon tends to die a lot easier... :(

Well, my reasoning behind Gengar is two-fold. I liked the immunity it enjoys to various types, being able to predict and switch in with ease. Also, Gengar is a pretty fearsome sweeper by itself, who can step in if Mew fails? This is why I prefer not to use a support oriented Poke in place of Gengar.

The concern about Ninetales is noted. I have noticed myself it doesn't do a great job countering weather. However, Politoed summons rain, which was an issue by itself! The reason I really picked Ninetales was because I saw drought was being used the least.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions so far! I will update the first post soon enough with an updated team after more testing.

@ Jaroda : Does Mew need SpA EV at 252 if it is recieving 3-4 SpA boosts from Butterfly Dance and Calm Mind to sweep? My reasoning was that SpA EV would be overkill, but I'm new to this.

If Espeon is EVed defensively, it can survive a lot more than was thought possible, especially if given calm mind boosts and a Reflect. With the prevalence of Magic Mirror, many teams are incorporating defensive Espeons so they can switch it in more often. Look to the Espeon analysis page for some good EV spreads. Personally, I use

Espeon @ Leftovers, Modest
252 HP, 196 Def, 24 SpA, 32 Spe

The lack of speed in your case can be rectified by a (few) butterfly dances from Smeargle.

Espeon with Baton Pass is sadly illegal currently - only the DW Eeveelutions have been released and Baton Pass is a move from Eevee.

Looks like a really fun team to play with and a quite solid concept. I'm going to leave Ninetales but I think a better replacement could be put in his place perhaps, yes I know his function, don't ask.

First up is Smeargle who is a bit slow for my liking, these changes will increase speed drastically and fix roar issues.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EV's: 240 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe (Jolly)
- Butterfly Dance
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Ingrain

With this new spread you can out speed every Pokémon up to and including Aerodactyl which is basically everything that matters. This Smeargle also runs ingrain which is defiantly worth using because it fixes your roar problem completely. Moreover, because of the incredible speed your Smeargle now has after a butterfly dance, okay maybe just decent but whatever, you can Dance on the switch then spore, surviving with sash, or out speeding and then throw in another Dance or ingrain if you saw roar users on the team preview.

To fix your lack of an alternate win condition I prefer Goruugu, even though he has many more weaknesses than Machamp. He still has 100% accurate dynamic punch and nice bulk but can open up a sweep single handed late game with the use of Rock Polish.

Goruugu@Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Hp / 32Atk / 224 Spe (Adamant)
- Substitute
- Rock Polish
- Dynamic Punch
- Shadow Punch / Stone Edge / Earthquake

Sacrifices substantial bulk compared to your Machamp but gives an alternate win condition, is faster off the bat and after he throws up a substitute has all the same utility in the early game. Shadow punch offers a lot more coverage when compared to Earthquake or Stone Edge and Particularly Earthquake which allows some Pokémon, like Gengar, to wall the whole set on immunities. The biggest problem Shadow Punch has is the redundant coverage it gives with Mew.

Next is Mew, if you make the suggested changes above mew has horribly redundant coverage with Goruugu. I think mew would be better off sacking some defensive ability for more speed and attack. Then I would change the moves to benefit from Ninetales and drop Calm Mind for better coverage.

Mew@Lum Berry
Ability; Synchronisation
EV’s:252 Hp / 88 Def / 56 Spatk / 112 Spe (Bold)
- Recover
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Needs 2 Butterfly dance’s to really kill, at which point it will out speed scarf Lati@s and have 500 Spatk, hopefully everything. If Ninetales has set up sun Flamethrower / Fire Blast will roast everything and thunderbolt will take bulky waters and Ice Beam will handle dragons the two key resists.

I also like the sound of Espeon like mentioned above me and could go over Gengar quite easily. I also think putting life orb / Leftovers on Espeon would win you a lot of games and could be justified by synchronization and putting Safeguard over Stealth Rock on Deoxys-S. The power difference in the item is more than Stealth rock in a fast and effective Mew sweep anyway.

In summary the recommended changes are:
1. Smeargle set change.
2. Goruugu>Machamp
3. Mew set change
4. Espeon>Gengar to pass the calm minds mew misses
5. Safeguard>Stealth Rock on Deoxys-S
6. Only if 5 is followed, Life Orb / Leftovers on Mew

After these your team will operate faster but quite possibly not more effectively please give me feedback as I need help with my teambuilding to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)