ORAS OU First team I have made since D/P. Suggestions needed

Hello all,

Like the title says, I used to play a lot online back in the DP games but kinda stopped for a long time, after beating Pokemon X recently I decided to get back into it. Some may call me old fashion but I decided to build this team around some of my favorite Pokemon from back then, thankfully it seems they do fit into the meta in a way. I am not to well versed in the "top threats" currently so if there are blatant obvious flaws in parts of the team please feel free to let me know. Thanks and I hope you enjoy my team.

TEAM BUILDING

Gardevoir has always been one of my favorite pokemon and decided I would build the team around her

I went with Bronzong (another personal favorite of mine) as my lead who also functions as a SpD wall and Stall breaker

I needed a support type pokemon who was physically defensive and clefable seemed to work well

Mamoswine acts as my bulky physical sweeper and wall breaker

I felt I needed a fast revenge killer and also noticed I was compleatly lacking fire moves so Talonflame fit the role

I was completely lacking both water and electric moves so I went with Rotom-W as more defensive/utility pokemon but still able to be offensive when needed

TEAM DETAILS AND EXPLANATION

Now that you have seen the overview I will go into detail how (in my opinion) these pokemon fit together and what their roles are. I will try to give as much detail as possible but to be honest as I said before this is my first team in a while so at times I may not say much in regards to the current meta as I am not fully acclimated to it yet. This team is probably far from perfect so any sort of suggestions would be great! Thanks again for reading

Mega Gardevoir @Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Spe / 232 SpA / 24 Def
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Gardevoir as I mentioned before has always been a favorite Pokemon of mine so I was very happy when I discovered it had a mega evolution and was pretty damn high up on the tier list. Gardevoir here acts as my primary sweeper and the move set seems to be standard. I did opt however to go with calm mind over substitute, this may or may not work out and I may decide to change it if I find I never have opportunists to get calm minds off without her getting smacked. The EV's ensures she has good enough speed and damage while providing a tiny bit of defense in hopes that she might survive an ordinarily fatal physical attack (steel is one her big weaknesses and I've found most steel attacks to be physical). Essentially the goal is to send her out when they send out a less offensive Pokemon and start spamming those calm minds.

Bronzong Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This guy while not very popular, I have found to be pretty good and love using him as my lead. I build him specifically to be a SpD Wall. Stealth Rock is their for obvious purposes as I think it has a place in any team. Toxic is great against wall Pokemon and its proven great on him several times. Earthquake and gyro ball respectively work well as offensive moves on him. I also noticed he is a pretty good Pokemon to deal with Mega Metagross.

Clefable Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

I use clefairy as my physically defensive wall and support. I dont have much to say about her as she seems pretty standard and im not using anything unique here. She does her job well of keeping my team healed up and free of status effects. I run protect because its great for getting wishes off for herself with no damage taken.

Mamoswine Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Mamoswine is my physical sweeper. I mainly went with him for ice moves to provide coverage against a few types I lacking coverage against. Ice shard is a nice priority move to finish off weak targets and superpower often catches people off guard. His disadvantage is weakness to a few types so I have to be cautious when to bring him out. Not much else to really say about him

Talonflame Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

I needed a revenge killer and this guy seemed like one of the best on the tier list. I put in tailwind on the off chance I get a chance to switch him in, get off tailwind then switch him out. My team consist of some pretty slow Pokemon so it seemed like a good move to carry.

Rotom-Wash Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 212 HP / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

I guess you can call him my last resort to certain sweepers the others cant deal with. I love volt switch for its damage and utility and hydro pump is a great damage dealer. Pain split is a general purpose way of dealing with any target who I cant seem to damage well, and Will-O-Wisp provides another alternative to whittle down Pokemon I have issues with.

CONCLUSION

Like I said earlier this is my first team in a LONG time, the meta has changed quite a bit but Im learning as I go. I find my issue with this team right now is getting Gardevoir in safety but I guess that comes with experience. Any suggestions to help me improve this team would be great. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey man, nice team, but a few quick changes. I'd replace Bronzong with Jirachi, as it has better bulk and wish. Plus, you aren't weak to ground either way...

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 226 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Also, I'd run adamant Talonflame for more firepower :]] gl

Hey man, nice team, but a few quick changes. I'd replace Bronzong with Jirachi, as it has better bulk and wish. Plus, you aren't weak to ground either way...

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 226 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Also, I'd run adamant Talonflame for more firepower :]] gl

Thank you I will give him a try. Im also considering swapping mamoswine for someone else.

Hello all,

Like the title says, I used to play a lot online back in the DP games but kinda stopped for a long time, after beating Pokemon X recently I decided to get back into it. Some may call me old fashion but I decided to build this team around some of my favorite Pokemon from back then, thankfully it seems they do fit into the meta in a way. I am not to well versed in the "top threats" currently so if there are blatant obvious flaws in parts of the team please feel free to let me know. Thanks and I hope you enjoy my team.

TEAM BUILDING

Gardevoir has always been one of my favorite pokemon and decided I would build the team around her

I went with Bronzong (another personal favorite of mine) as my lead who also functions as a SpD wall and Stall breaker

I needed a support type pokemon who was physically defensive and clefable seemed to work well

Mamoswine acts as my bulky physical sweeper and wall breaker

I felt I needed a fast revenge killer and also noticed I was compleatly lacking fire moves so Talonflame fit the role

I was completely lacking both water and electric moves so I went with Rotom-W as more defensive/utility pokemon but still able to be offensive when needed

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

I needed a revenge killer and this guy seemed like one of the best on the tier list. I put in tailwind on the off chance I get a chance to switch him in, get off tailwind then switch him out. My team consist of some pretty slow Pokemon so it seemed like a good move to carry.

any suggestions to help me improve this team would be great. Thanks for reading!
Talonflame has the wrong ability, Run Sharp Beak.

Yo nice team. Hmm but I have a few points to make. Taunt would be more useful over calm mind imo. Garde does pretty hefty damage even without the Cm boost. And as Houndoomite said above run sharp beak on tflame. Also I would recommend SD over tailwind and roost over u-turn. Jirachi does indeed do a better job than bronzong but wish is redundant as you already have it on Clefable. Small thing........ Change icicle crash on mamoswine to icicle spear. It breaks through both subs and sashes which makes it a perfect move for mamoswine.

Hope I helped glhf battling :)

Thanks guys for the suggestions, the team seems to work pretty well at the moment. Im probably going to start composing a threat list as I play more, already i notice mega sceptile gives me huge problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)