First NU team

Kinda new to competitive Pokémon battling so here's my first nu team.

Here is an overview:

Jumpluff (lead) @focus sash
Jolly, 252 hp, 252 speed, 4 atk
Leaf Guard

Memento
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
U Turn

Basic status lead; fast enough to outspeed almost everything in NU, and likely to send something to sleep. If the opponent is immediately sent to sleep then they are likely to switch so you can stun spore their switch in, then U turn out.
It has trouble with a common nu lead in Persian, but it is bulky enough to survive a fake out with plenty left and can then send it to sleep. Memento is for if Jumpluff survives as a lead into the later game; it can throw itself in against something that relies on attacking prowess and cripple it, allowing me to bring in something that can get a free turn of set up.

Sandslash @leftovers
Impish, 252 hp, 128 def, 128 atk
Sand Veil

Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Super Fang

If you want a spinner in NU, sandslash is the best choice. While not quite as offensively imposing as armaldo, it has a resistance to stealth rock which is likely to be what it is removing, as not many things have access to spikes in this tier. It is bulky enough to take a battering from unboosted physical hits or ones that aren't super effective, and therefore able to set up stealth rocks of its own. Earthquake is an obvious choice, hits most things hard, and Super Fang is a great move. Useful for something that resists Earthquake or has defensive boosts such as reflect up.

Lapras @leftovers
Bold, 252 hp, 128 spatk, 128 spdef
Water Absorb

Surf /Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Confuse Ray
Roar

Who doesn't love Lapras? Just because something is weak to stealth rock doesn't render it useless. It may have a fair amount of weaknesses, but with titanic hp, a great ability for switching in, and good versatility. In my team I'm utilising it as a bulky pseudo hazer, and it is also able to shuffle the opponents' team about and scout with its bulkiness. This shuffling becomes most effective if Sandslash has already set up rocks obviously. The one thing Lapras really lacks as a tank is an instant recovery move, although this is slightly compensated for with its ability. Surf is obviously a reliable STAB move that hits most things reasonably hard, Ice Beam is good for coverage, especially if you opt for Thunderbolt over Surf. Thunderbolt is probably the better option over surf, as it doesn't leave Lapras so open to other water types that would otherwise wall it. Confuse Ray is generally a useful move, and there's nothing funnier than someone hitting themselves in confusion ;)

Gardevoir @leftovers
Bold, 252 hp, 128 def, 128 spdef
Trace

Psychic
Wish
Will-o-Wisp\Thunder Wave
Heal Bell

Gardevoir is one of my favourite Pokémon. She has great special attack and defense, decent enough speed, and not ridiculously frail physical defense. If you pay enough EV attention to her defenses she can be a reliable support player. Wish is useful on this team as it allows Espeon and Sharpedo to 'recharge' if need be, and Heal Bell is a great attack that could be vital if Lapras becomes poisoned or Espeon paralysed etc. Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave are both great support moves for the team, the former cripplng physical attackers, and the latter nullifying anything fast and frail. On this team I prefer Will-o-Wisp, as my team is generally more physically weak bar Sandslash.

Espeon @leftovers
Modest, 252 atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
Synchronize

Calm Mind
Psychic
Signal Beam
Reflect

Espeon is an awesome Pokémon, and the best special sweeper in this tier in my opinion. After just one CM, Espeon's special attack will be 591, and coupled with a great speed stat, that makes for a devastating sweeper. If you manage to get a Reflect up on a switch, who's to say you won't be able to get 2 or 3 Calm Minds in anyway. Psychic and Signal Beam offer perfect neutral coverage for everything apart from steel I believe, and there are few steel types in NU that are seen regularly, and some have dismal special defense and hp anyway. Signal Beam also has that added chance of confusion which is always nice. I prefer leftovers over life orb on this set because it's likely to take a couple of hits while setting up, and life orb would potentially drain its health too far leaving it open to priority moves.

Sharpedo @life orb
Hasty, 252 atk, 252 speed, 4 spatk
Rough Skin

Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Beam

Sharpedo is terrifying, especially if Stealth Rock/Spikes is in play. With the opponents' team already weakened, Sharpedo can come in and wreak havoc with its monstrous attack and good speed. Having access to a STAB priority move is good news too, this allows Sharpedo to take down with ease any Pokémon on low health that may have a Salac or Petaya boost etc. Sharpedo is able to at worst 2hko the vast majority of Pokémon in this tier, and as these are also mostly close to ohkos, the Stealth Rock damage will mean it can KO most Pokémon. Waterfall and Crunch are self explanatory, both STAB and offer good coverage. Ice Beam is for grass types that would otherwise be safe against this set, and is used over Earthquake because it serves no purpose other than hitting poison types which are grass as well a lot of the time.

Um you should maybe think about swiching your sharpedo to a mix and have surf over waterfall unless your going for fliching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)