XY LC First LC Team

Ok so I just started to show interest in competitive Pokemon even if I am playing this game since Ruby/Sapphire

I thought starting smooth with LC could show me basics so later on I will be able to build effectively an OU/UU team. I'm sorry if my expalanations for my pokemon choices aren't very good, but I'll try my best!

Scraggy@Eviolite
Ability:Shed Skin
Nature:Adamant
Evs: 236 Atk/60 SpD/252 Spe
Rest
Drain Punch
Dragon Dance
Crunch

Porygon@Eviolite
Ability:Trace
Nature:Calm
Evs: 236 HP/196 Def/76 Spe
Tri Attack
Recover
Thunder
Shadow Ball

I usually choose Porygon as my starting pokemon because even he only has 1 weakness, fighting, so it is very tough to OHKO him, adding all the HP and Def ev I put in his spread. He wins the first fight 90-95% of the time, so I think he is a big part of this team as an initiator that is hard to kill and can hit effectively almost every types with his varied moveset.

Mienfoo@Eviolite
Ability:Regenerator
Nature:Impish
Evs: 156 HP/196 Def/116 SpD
Drain Punch
U-turn
Knock Off
Fake Out

This one is an eas pick, as it is in my opinion the best LC pokemon at the moment. It all depends on what role you want it to play in your team. I chose for it the role of bulky pivot. The well known combo of Regenerator+U-Turn works really good on this pokemon, but I thinks volt switch could also be good on it. Just poking with Fake out then finishing with Drain Punch or Knock Off depending on the type of the opponent is also a good strategy. I think Mienfoo can outclass every LC pokemon but ghost types.

Misdreavus
Berry Juice
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Timid
Evs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting
Nasty Plot
Will-O-Wisp

Misdreavus is also a sure pick in a Little Cup team, so I chose him in mine. I missed some speed in my team and saw that I could bring Misdreavus to 19 speed, which outspeeds almost every pokemon in this category. I am actually thinking of changing the Berry Juice over a Focus Sash, because the only big threat for it is getting OHKO'd by a fast shadow ball, before it even has time to cast something. I need advice on this pokemon because I know it can be brutal if well played.

Chinchou
@Eviolite
Ability:Volt Absorb
Nature:Modest
Evs: 52 Def/232 SpA/224 Spe
Hydro Pump
Heal Bell
Hidden Power Fire
Thunderbolt

I think this pokemon is really complete. While its only big weaknesses are fighting due to its low defense and grass, he can counter them pretty well, grass with HPower and fighting with special attack because fighting pokemons are generally focused on normal defense, not SpD. As for heal bell, Chinchou can be switched in to heal a Toxic landed on anyone or even a paralysis or a spore. It can also be great while facing grass pokemons that can try to spore Chinchou and then cast a grass attack to kill it

Foongus@Eviolite
Ability:Regenerator
Nature:Bold
Evs: 124 Hp/156 Def/76 SpA/152 SpD
Spore
Stun Spore
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain

And, last but not least, Foongus! His typing matches well what is missing in this team, and facing an opponent that always puts to sleep or paralyses all your pokemons may be really annoying. This pokemon can also handle double-typed water types that erases the grass weakness with sludge bomb

I started two days ago on pokemon showdown and my current elo is around 1200 with this team, so I think it is very good. The main weaknesses to this team, for what I have seen, are ghost pokemons faster than my Misdreavus, offensive Pawniards and some Dragon-types since I replace my Snover by Mienfoo

Thanks^^

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You may wish to drop Rest on Scraggy for Poison Jab is you ever have problems with Cottonee. Also Knock Off is the Dark STAB of choice on Scraggy. Porygon is an interesting lead, though it should honestly be used as a Misdreavus check more often then not; use Thunderwave over Thunder though and I would use the 76 EVs in Speed and place them in Special Defense for the bulk. Mienfoo checks out (I would recommend this as your lead actually). Misdreavus's EV spread should be 240 SpA / 240 Speed, and I would run Eviolite for the added longevity-I find that Berry Juice isn't that helpful unless you have sub. Chinchou should run Volt Switch for the momentum it adds to your team and it has access to Ice Beam which does more damage to grass types save Ferroseed. Foongus's EV spread isn't that great, though it's not bad. 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SDef adds a lot more bulk to Foongus since Eviolite is funny like that.

Any Ghost faster than Misdreavus is scarfed, so switch into a teammate who can easily take whatever move they are locked into. Offensive Pawniard should be able to be handled by Mienfoo + Scraggy, and Dragon types die out once you ladder up higher.

Last edited:

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Hello! Welcome to Smogon! We'd all (well most of us) would be happy to help anytime!

First of all, would you please make your sets organized and tidy? This is the standard way sets are written out. Thanks :)

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
Level 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - SpA)
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch

Thank I was wondering why those couldnt work...
Hello! Welcome to Smogon! We'd all (well most of us) would be happy to help anytime!

First of all, would you please make your sets organized and tidy? This is the standard way sets are written out. Thanks :)

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
Level 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - SpA)
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
Sorry, didn't really know in what order to put the information ^^

Hey good to see you finally post your team! You forgot your description for Scraggy so be sure to add that in!

The lack of a Choice Scarf user on this team can cause a lot of problems, because it doesn't allow you to outspeed and get the revenge kill on fast pokemon. In case you don't know, Choice Scarf boosts the speed of a pokemon by 1.5 but it locks it into only using one move untill it switches out. The threats you mentioned seemed a little odd since Misdreavus is faster than any other Ghost-type, Porygon walls Ghosts, Dragons are fairly rare and Pawnaird is handled by Scraggy and Mienfoo but regardless I will help you assess those threats. Bulk Up Timburr to me looks like the biggest threat though, I know not every set is Bulk Up because of Fletch but even the non Bulk Up set still gives your trouble. If Foongus has already used Spore, and has recieved residual damage, the Bulk Up set can straight up sweep you, being able to live any hit from Missy, not care about Will-o-Wisp due to guts, it can also set up on Mienfoo, Scraggy, Porygon too. Non bulk up sets still constantly put pressure on Porygon Scraggy and Mienfoo due to Knock Off, and Stab Fighting plus nothing else enjoys switching into a Knock Off.

There are two changes I would make to help you better deal with Timburr, The first one is Acrobatics>Fake Out on Mienfoo, With Acrobatics you can do some decent damage to Timburr after they Knock Off your Eviolite and if you Knock Off theirs

0 Atk Mienfoo Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Timburr: 12-16 (50 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO this shows that after Timburr has knocked off your Eviolite you are guaranteed the 2HKO and If you and Timburr both use Knock Off on the same turn, then there is a high chance that you can OHKO with Acrobatics. Keep in mind Timburr does have Drain Punch but this Mienfoo set does definitetly help when vsing it. It also lets you get the suprise jump on opposing Mienfoo, which threaten your Porygon and Scraggy and also helps you deal with things like opposing Foongus since you hit them super effectively with Acrobatics. It is important to remember that it is stronger when you have had your Eviolite knocked off.

Two changes on Foongus that can help out are
Clear Smog>Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Fighting>Stun Spore With Clear Smog on Foongus you have Bulk Up Timbur covered because Clear Smog will reset the Bulk Up boosts Timburrs trying to gain and after a Bulk Up Timburr would have no trouble breaking through Acrobatics Mienfoo this does come at the cost of Sludge Bombs power but its worth it so Timburr doesn't sweep you and it also helps you reset Dragon Dance boosts from Pokemon like Scraggy and perhaps the Dragon-types you said you were having trouble with. You said you had a problem with Pawnaird, and Hidden Power Fighting on Foongus would help to deal with it to OHKO Pawnaird. Stun Spore is cool but Spore still provides crippling status support and I will suggest a change that helps deal with the loss of Stun Spore.

And that is
Thunderwave>Thunder On Porygon, it makes up for the loss of Stun Spore and lets Porygon wall Special attackers easier. Since you Can Paralyze Misdreavus not carrying Substitute or Taunt and Abra and keep recovering untill they get fully paralyzed so you can kill them off with Shadow Ball.

You said your Misdreavus had problems with being Ko'd by a fast Shadow Ball, and you need a Choice Scarf user so I would reccomend Changing Misdreavus's set to a
Choice Scarf Set this will allow you to outspeed any Ghost-type in the tier, Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Trick / Thunderbolt is the prefered set, Dazzling Gleam lets you revenge kill Scraggy with a Dragon Dance, Trick lets you cripple bulky Pokemon like Porygon when they switch in since a Choice Scarf on them is useless and Thunderbolt helps to round of the coverage hitting things like Vullaby and Archen super effectively. Also with the loss of Fake Out on Mienfoo you may lose the ability to beat Sturdy Shell Smash Tirtouga but Choice Scarf Misdreavus still outspeeds Tirtouga so it can beat it.

Also agreeing on
Poison Jab>Rest On Scraggy for the reasons mentioned by Fiend Hound, lets beat Cottonee with good prediction which otherwise stops Scraggy cold. Shed Skins a cool but feel free to try Moxie too and settle with which one you like more :)

Nice first team

TL;DR

Foongus
*Clear Smog>Sludge Bomb
*Hidden Power Fighting>Stun Spore

Porygon
*ThunderWave>Thunder

Mienfoo
*Acrobatics>Fake Out

Scraggy
*Poison Jab>Rest

Misdreavus @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Timid | 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt / Trick

~SPD

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon n.n
This is definitely a solid team for someone who's just started competitive Pokemon! With that being said, there might be a few changes that you could make to make your team even better.
Fletchling looks as if it could be fairly problematic, since Chinchou is the only thing between it and a clean sweep after a Swords Dance boost, which isn't ideal because your Chinchou variant doesn't have any form of recovery. In addition, none of your Pokemon will want to switch into Croagunk or Bellsprout. Once Omanyte or Scraggy set up, they could also be troublesome. Hazard Dwebble will almost always be able to get up at least two layers of hazards against you, which is an issue because you don't have a method to remove these hazards.

Firstly, I fully agree with all of Superpowerdude's suggestions. Acrobatics on Mienfoo will not only help you deal with Timburr, but Croagunk as well; Fake Out on Mienfoo is generally for if you're having trouble with Shell Smash Tirtouga, but I don't think that's an issue for you at all, since every single member of your team can check it, and Tirtouga can't actually set up on any of your Pokemon. A Knock Off absorber in Mienfoo is also very useful for a team that runs both Porygon and Misdreavus, two Pokemon that are greatly impacted by Knock Off, and Acrobatics allows Mienfoo to do so more readily.
You mentioned yourself that offensive Pawniard could pose as a threat to your team. I think a combination of Mienfoo and Scraggy will usually be enough, but Superpowerdude's suggestion of replacing Stun Spore with Hidden Power Fighting will help to further alleviate the issue. Clear Smog over Sludge Bomb is great to help Foongus check a variety of set-up sweepers, including Scraggy and Misdreavus.
Thunder Wave is usually a far better option on Porygon than Thunder, as Superpowerdude mentioned, because it allows Porygon to deal with Abra and Misdreavus, two large threats to your team. Poison Jab is a fine option on Scraggy because Foongus is your only switch-in to Spritzee, and you're already relying on Foongus to check a lot of threats.
Choice Scarf Misdreavus is a solid choice for your revenge-killer, in part due to its surprise value. It is able to nab surprise KOs on boosted Omanytes and Scragles, both of which could be bothersome otherwise; this necessitates the use of both Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam, while Shadow Ball and Trick are standard for a STAB move and crippling walls, respectively.

I agree with Fiend Hound on running Poison Jab and Knock Off over Rest and Crunch on Scraggy, since Rest is incredibly unreliable and Knock Off is almost always explicitly superior to Crunch. You'll also definitely want to move Porygon's speed EVs to Special Defense, because it noticeably increases Porygon's special bulk by hitting the next eviolite number. However, Misdreavus, as Superpowerdude mentioned, would be better off on this particular team with a Choice Scarf as its item, and since with Superpowerdude's given set, it won't be running a Hidden Power, you should make sure all of its IVs are 31 as opposed to 30, and change its spread to 36 HP / 236 SpA / 236 Spe, since you can now afford to run an extra HP point. In addition, since we're now running HP Fighting on Foongus, the best spread for it would be 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD to compensate for the missing IVs.

Now, you're relying on Chinchou to check a LOT of threats, including but not limited to Fletchling, Ponyta, and Magnemite; this will often be too much for it to handle. As such, I would like to suggest switching Chinchou to an extremely defensive variant and giving it Rest + Sleep Talk, which will give it the survivability it needs to last throughout the match.
Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SDef / 60 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
The given EVs allow Chinchou to hit Eviolite numbers (recall that Eviolite boosts round down, so you'll want an even number for your defense/special defense), giving it impressive mixed bulk. Volt Switch and Scald are your STAB options; the former also gains momentum for your team, while the latter carries a handy burn chance to further wear down the opponent. Rest provides you with a form of recovery and allows you to absorb status for the team, while Sleep Talk ensures you're not fodder while asleep.

To deal with Dwebble leads, a good option is to counter-lead with Mienfoo, which will be able to outspeed Dwebble with enough EVs and Taunt it, preventing Dwebble from setting up.
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Taunt
Drain Punch is your mandatory STAB move, and also provides you with some more recovery alongside Regenerator. Knock Off has decent coverage alongside Drain Punch, but more importantly, is able to permanently cripple most switch-ins, such as Spritzee and Misdreavus. U-Turn allows Mienfoo to scout and wear down the enemy team. The given EVs and nature ensure Mienfoo is able to outspeed and Taunt max speed Jolly Dwebble, while also hitting Eviolite numbers for decent bulk. Don't forget you can't Taunt Spritzee because of Aroma Veil.

Scraggy would prefer a spread of 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe; although this cuts down on a bit of Scraggy's damage output, it's usually worth it because it allows Scraggy to hit an Eviolite number for its physical defense, noticeably increasing its bulk; the bonus HP point is also appreciated. This spread reduces Fletchling's chance to OHKO with Acrobatics after Stealth Rock from 81.3% to a mere 6.3% (before factoring in crits), among other things.

That's it for now. Good luck!

tl;dr
All of Superpowerdude's suggestions
Poison Jab/Knock Off>Rest/Crunch on Scraggy, as proposed by Fiend Hound
Change Porygon EVs to 236 HP/196 Def/76 SpD, as proposed by Fiend Hound
Make sure all of Misdreavus's IVs are 31 and change its spread to 36 HP/236 SpA/236 Spe
Change Foongus spread to 124 HP/160 Def/160 SpD
Change Chinchou to Resttalk variant (I gave the importable above)
Change Mienfoo to Taunt variant (I gave the importable above)
Change Scraggy EVs to 36 HP/156 Atk/36 Def/36 SpD/212 Spe

Finally, I prefer acrobatics because without a Flying-type I can counter another mienfoo, which is almost always the first battle of the game, so almost free kill if he doesn't get it out:) As for taunt, I can still 2HKO Dwebble with Drain Punch, letting it time to Stealth Rock at most

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Acrobatics is a solid move choice for sure, but in that case, you should change Mienfoo's nature to Careful while maintaining the current EVs. This will allow Mienfoo to hit eviolite numbers on both sides of the spectrum, making it bulkier overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)