First good OU team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all this is my first decent OU team, i'm currently over 1050 CRE and rising so i think it's pretty good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aerodactyl
Focus Sash
Jolly
252 ATK 252 SPD 4 HP

Moves:

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock
Taunt

Aerodactyl is a great lead with his dual coverage ability to get stealth rock up quickly, taunt prevents oppenents from stealth rocking if i think they are going to. With sash i always get stealth rock up unless a faster taunter comes, or if not i can fire of an attacking move before i die.

Swampert
Leftovers
Impish
252 HP 126 DEF 80 ATK 44 SP DEF

Moves:

Earthquake
Waterfall
Roar
Stealth Rock

Swampert creates a useful wall that can get up SR again if it gets spinned away, he can roar away dragon dancers and attack with good water/earth coverage.

Latias
Life orb
Modest

252 SPATK 252 SPD 4 HP

Moves:

Draco Meteor
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Recover

Latias is a great special sweeper with a life orb, 252 speed gives me 319 speed, enough to outrun 252 spd or speed boosting nature salmence, and OHKO's back with draco. Recover is good for healing the Life Orb damage, which piles up quickly and surf is a good move on many types.

Heatran
Choice Scarf
Naive
252 SPATK 252 SPD 4 HP

Moves:

Dragon Pulse
Explosion
Earth Power
Fire Blast

Heatran is Great on this team, Immunity to fire that boosts it's fire blast, earth power for other heatrans and magenezones, choice scarf gives heatran 417 speed, enough to outspeed alot of things. explosion lets me take out tough Pokemon or pokemon that have had way to many stat boosts, dragon pulse works good. And fire Blast takes done so many things it's not even funny.

Starmie
Life orb
Modest
252 SPATK 252 SPD 4 HP

Moves:

Rapid Spin
Surf
Ice Beam
Recover

Ah... my rapid spinner/dragonslayer/special sweeper pokemon, he works great with the team. Rapid Spin to eliminate entry hazards, ice beam takes out almost any dragon type that isn't faster then starmie, surf is a reliable STAB move and recover helps take away life orb damage.

Magnezone
Leftovers
calm
252 HP 126 SPATK 126 DEF

Moves:

Hidden Power Ice
Discharge
Substitute
Explosion

Magnezone, with it's ability to trap steels, good special attack, and boltbeam coverage makes him a nice choice, substitute on a trapped steel pokemon, kill and sweep for while i can. With Discharge i have no need for thunder wave which allows me to have explosion, which is useful in sticky situations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How The Team Was Built​

I was looking at various leads and saw how excellent Aerodactyl was.

I then needed something to topple Aeros weaknesses, lucario seemed good so i choose him.

I then needed something to trap steels, provide strong eelctric attacks against bulky water pokemon, and be able to tank dragon types....Wait the only pokemon that can do that is Magnezone.

I then decided i needed a good mixed wall, who can attack, get rocks up if aero fails and Phaze the opponent. Hippowdon was considered first, then i realised how good swampert fit the job so he was chosen.

So far i had a multitude of grass and fire weaknesses, so who is fast, can sweep any steel and grass type, block fire type moves? SCARFTRAN can.

I then wanted a dragon type, as well as a powerful physcial sweeper, salamence was chosen and i picked a pretty useful set.

So i had my team and used it for awhile but something just wasn't right. i went back to the whiteboard and looked at what was helping and hwat was a problem. I picked out that lucario in general didn't do anything for the team and usually was swept pretty quickly. Also Salamence's 4x ice weakness didn't help at all and he was to susceptible to stealth rock damage. I chose Latias over Salamence, because it was faster, had more moves that i liked, and a useful recovery move. And Starmie over Lucario, as i realized that SR and Toxic spikes proved a nuisance. So Starmies rapid spin and nice attack power worked good on the team.

So there you have it, please rate and critisize cause i really need it.

Lol it's Starmie x2
I have no clue why you need two stealth rockers, so I would replace rocks on Swampert for Protect, which is a very useful scouting move.

Latias seems like it would do better as a sweeper after T-tar and Scizor have been taken care of. You should be running Calm Mind / Recover / Dragon Pulse / Surf (Surf is optional if you want it as a mono attacker)

Starmie should probably run hydro pump over surf, as you are using life orb and should aim for as much damage as possible against spin blockers like Rotom. Thunderbolt should be a better choice over ice beam for Starmie to deal with other bulky waters.

As for Magnezone, you could run magnet rise over explosion to deal with the steel with earthquake, which is fairly common, but it's your choice.

This is a pretty good team, and I hope I helped!

Um... well first of all you don't lead TWO stealth rockers, and by the way magnizone has a picture of starmie 0_0.

Now for the actual rate: as I already said, you need to replace either swampert or aerodactyl. Considering your team seems to be offensive rather than defensive I would replace Swampert with SALAMENCE. Now you can use magnizone more affectively as it can trap steels so salamence can sweep. Heres the set:

Salamence@ life orb - Naive
252 Spe/ 232 Atk/ 24 Spa

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Outage

This will make a good late game sweeper. Which you kind of lack... Other people will cover what ever I have missed so good luck!

EDIT: LOL GrimHawke we posted at the same time: I thought I would be first :(

looks like an excellent first team, there are only a few things i would change, i would give swampert ice beam instead of waterfall, i say this because swampert makes a very good outrage blocker, and the ice beam makes an easy kill for any dragons your walling, with that i would go with pyscic or Tbolt over ice beam on starmie or you could use both those moves if you ditched recovery thats up to you. on magnezone go with Tbolt over discharge, i personally have tried both and found that bolt does more against steels. and go with HP grass over ice (i say grass instead of fire becuase steels already take heavy dmg from bolt, grass ensures coverage against his weakness, ground types). heatran i always used to use HP grass since grounds and waters love to switch in on him, if you are attached to pulse though then no harm in keeping it.

also i noticed you had rocks on both your lead and swampert, i guess your using it as a backup rock, if you find though you go games with out ever needing swamperts rocks, then i would replace it for something else

EDIT- kids above me are right, get rid of swamperts rocks for something else

again excellent first team, happy battles

Looking like a nice team ya got here. The one stand out problem has already been covered, you shouldn't have two users of rocks. So I'll go over this...

Starmie and Latias will provide more power as Modest but they're outsped by a few significant threats.

Azelf, Starmie, Gengar, Latias and Infernape all outspeed your Starmie (with the normal Speed investments).

In addition to those, Latias is outsped by max speed Flygon (usually scarfed), Rachi, Celebi (not normally speedy) and Zapdos (see Celebi).

By the way, when Timid, Lati is still outsped by Azelf and Starmie.

It may be worth switching at least one of Starmie or Lati to Timid.

EDIT: I haven't looked to see if this has been covered yet, but trapping steels in with only Discharge to hit them may not work out amazingly. I'm suggesting you may wanna switch Hp Ice with Hp Fire (or another Steel killing type. Fire is mainly for Scizor who I've heard is common...)

You have two Pokemon with Stealth Rock, I would get rid of it on Swampert and give it either Stone Edge, Ice Beam, or Curse. I would suggest giving it Stone Edge, because you don't have much to deal with Gyarados who will outspeed everyone on your team after a Dragon Dance. You already have Heatran to counter +1 Salamence, and other Dragons so I don't really think Ice Beam is that useful on your Swampert. Curse is an Option, but it wouldn't work too well with this particular set as you have no recovery, and with Swampert your only option for recovery is Rest, so you'd have to sacrifice two move slots on him unless you were willing to sacrifice two turns during rest. So for Swampert I think the best move to use would be Stone Edge.

I think that you shoud give Latias a Timid nature because where it really shines is its speed, and you'll be able to handle more threats that way. Another thing I would suggest for him is to replace Dragon Pulse with Grass Knot, it will give you an answer to those Swamperts who switch in thinking they'll take a Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse and OHKO with Ice Beam. Another option would be to give it Thunderbolt, seeing as Surf already takes care of ground and rock types, and with Thunderbolt you'll be able to hit bulky waters who can pose a big threat to Latias.

As for Starmie, I honestly don't think you need it, your team doesn't really need Rapid Spin Support, nor does it need the coverage provided by Starmie if you were to run another set. I would suggest a good physical attacker such as Machamp, here's the set I had in mind for you:

Machamp @ Leftovers
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Dynamic Punch / Payback / Rest / Sleep Talk

You lack any fighting attacks, and counters to Tyranitar and Rotom-A, two of the most common Pokemon in the game, with Dynamic Punch you will OHKO Tyranitar, and I think Payback 2HKO's the Standard and Rest + Sleep Talk versions of Rotom-A. Rest and Sleep Talk mean that your Machamp will be around for a long time, and another thing worth noting about Machamp is that he barely has any counters, so it's really easy to get him in. He'll also add some coverage against Heatran, Gengar, and Latias, so you'll be able to handle a lot more threats thanks to him.

You already have Heatran to counter +1 Salamence

Since when does Heatran outspeed +1 Salamence? Heatran cannot stop +1 Salamence in any way shape or form(well you can bait it into outrage I guess but that means you've already lost atleast 1 other pokemon).

You have a pretty bad Gyarados weakness. An offensive gyarados with life orb can KO your whole team after 1 dance (except Swampert, who is 2HKO). Your only option currently is to explode with heatran, but if it is jolly well then you are screwed.

With that in mind I'm going to suggest you change your Latias to a Choice Scarf variant.

Latais@Choice Scarf
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Draco Meteor
Surf
Thunderbolt
Trick

This latias can revenge +1 Salamence and Gyarados easily. Just watch out for those Tyranitars and you'll be fine.

You don't need sr on two pokemon you can get rid of it on swampert or pick a lead that either only counters leads or one like roserade that can set up toxic spikes or spikes. The first option is seldom seen, modifying the standard infernape set might work. (3 attacks and fake out, or 2 attacks taunt and fake out. Should probably carry life orb. Can be used as sweeper later btw)

I really dont think that you will need pokes to set up SR, so i recommend a Blissey counter because your team is really Blissey weak, so i recommend that you use a choice scarf T-Tar because he provides coverage against Blissey and besides, starmie and latias already have water attacks, so swampert is unnecessary and besides T-Tar can help take care of Rotom appliances, physics, gengar, blissey, flying types, etc. I also noticed that your team was ghost and physic weak so t-Tar will definetily help. Here is the set:

EV's: 4HP 252Atk 252Spe
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:

Crunch
Stone Edge
Pursuit/Earthquake
Superpower

The choice of pursuit of earthquake is up to you because crunch already covers physic/ghosts that stay in. Hope that helped

Alright so far i know i'm going too: get rid of SR on swampert and replace it with stone edge, change starmie to a machamp, make latias timid nature (and test out a scarf varient). And also i'll give magnezone hidden power grass and thunderbolt, because hidden power fire is 3 less base power then a 2x hidden power fire, and the only time it would be useful is on scizor, which i can already subtank any of his moves, and grass gives me more options.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hello. Your thread is currently in violation of rule 3.

3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

If you fix this up and PM me updated descriptions, i will gladly reopen it. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)