VGC First Attempt at a Competitive Team

Hello! I participated in a few online competitions and did some things in the realm of breeding and EV training during VGC17, but would still consider myself a "beginner" in the competitive scene. This is my first attempt at making a solid team and would like some advice such as strategies and tips I could use with this team as well as some ways in which the team could be improved; such as other 'mons that might work better than others. Thank you!

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon is my special sweeper. Choice band is there to give him an extra speed boost against opponents such as Polteageist and Rotom-W. I usually don’t send him out first, although occasionally I will against trick room teams to try and quickly prevent trick room from being set up. While he has high SpA and high Spe, he can still get outsped by threats such as dragapult and sometimes excadrill; making him susceptible to being OHKOed. What I do to counter this is also send Grimmsnarl out with him or before him in order to get a priority Thunder Wave off, allowing Hydreigon to outspeed those threats.

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Darmanitan is one of my physical sweepers. I run band with gorilla tactics for the extremely high attack boost. He has high speed and attack but again, can still get outsped by some threats such as cinderace, hydreigon, and dragapult. His diverse movepool allows him to cover a variety of types and threats like excadrill, and indeedee so sending him out first to prevent set-ups can be used. However, he also works well after Grimmsnarl or Rotom-W have set up for him, Paralyzing faster opponents or burning them. He works well with Hydreigon, Rotom-W, and Corviknight since levitate and flying allows him to freely use Earthquake. I'm usually sending him out after my first two in order to clean up and dynamax if I need to get out of Gorilla tactics/Choice band.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

I really like Rotom-W on the team. I usually send him out first with excadrill in order to break through walls and help set up. He does an excellent job setting up with Will-O-Wisp and helps protect excadrill from some offensive threats such as Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Sitrus berry helps with survivability as I have found that Rotom-W can usually sustain a couple of hits before going down. Levitate is excellent at checking some of his weaknesses to Ground types and allows other Pokemon such as Darmanitan to use earthquake with Rotom-W out on the field.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drill Peck
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Taunt

Corviknight is a Pokemon on the team that doesn’t have one major forte. It is a decent tank and sustain multiple hits, but I don’t find myself using it as often as I would like to. It's damage output is relatively low, so it's best at stalling and Taunting. Whenever I do use it, I usually send it out against Whimsicott, taunt, and then mostly stall. It gets outsped easily but can take a fair amount of hits. So I’m not sure how I should be using it or if there are better alternatives.

Grimmsnarl @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough

Grimmsnarl is excellent at setting up and providing support for the team. He is effective at leading and crippling major attackers such as Dragapult or Dracovish. As well as taunting some gimmicky Pokemon such as whimsicott and preventing trick room. Leftovers provide him with some survivability and prankster is essential to giving him priority for faster opponents such as Dragapult. I'm usually not dynamaxing him, but Darkest Lariat and Play Rough help prevent him from being total taunt bait and can help take out threats like Dragapult and Hydreigon, among others.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Excadrill is another one of my favorite Pokemon on this team. He is my primary wallbreaker, so I usually send him out first with Rotom-W and am able to take out a fair amount of Pokemon in either the first turn by dynamaxing or setting up with Swords Dance. Focus sash helps with this as often times, excadrill gets targeted and needs the extra survivability. Jolly nature gives it some more speed and mold breaker allows him to hit pokemon with levitate such as Rotom-H; providing him with more opportunities to attackers. Iron head provides protection against fairy types and rapid spin is excellent at clearing hazards and swords dance helps him get set up, especially with the focus sash.

This team can sometimes have problems against trick room teams and gimmicky teams such as Whimsicott with beat up and Lucario/Arcanine with Justified. I’m also not entirely sure when/which Pokemon I should be dynamaxing, so I am also looking for tips on how I can use those mechanics along with some general guidelines/ what I should be looking for when using this team. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Unlocked

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)