Farewell to D/P

A Farewell to D/P

Introduction:

With Generation IV coming to a close, I decided to make the most of the current metagames before Black and White destroy them. For this team, I decided to try a semi-stall approach, and it has worked marvelously. This team has a record of 24-1, better than any team I've ever had. However, I still would like to see if any improvements could be made to it. I put a lot of effort into this team and into this RMT, so I would appreciate lots of rates, especially if any well-known players decide to stop in here!

Team At a Glance:

Type Effectiveness on Team:

Team In-Depth:

Swampert (M) @

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Why this Pokemon?

Of all the leads I have tried over time, Swampert has been the most consistent. With just his STAB coverage, he can hit most common leads quite well. He remains quite useful later in the game, and he dosent have to get rocks up straight away. He is also quite a good phaser should some cocky Suicune decide that its safe to set up on it, or something like that. Overall, Swampert is just a really great lead (I also like it because my first game was Sapphire, and I started with it xD)

Moves Explanation:

Rather than what the analysis says to use, I chose to go all physical and just use EQ and Waterfall. Surf just wasn't cutting it, and Waterfall has a flinch chance anyways. SR doesn't really need to be explained, every team should use them. Roar is chosen for the last slot, as I have always found it to be a ridiculously good move for messing with opponents. It can build residual damage, scout, and stop set-up from certain sweepers (I'm looking at you, Suicune and Gyarados)

EVs and Nature:

Rather than Relaxed like the analysis reccomends, I chose to use Impish since I'm not using any special attacks. A little extra speed is nice too. Max HP and Def EVs for maximum bulk, with the last 4 tossed into Atk to give it a tiny bit more power.
---

Scizor (M) @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Speed
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Why this Pokemon?

Why the hell not? Scizor is an amazing Pokemon, and can fit onto pretty much any team. He is a superb scout, a great revenge killer, and he can take a hit! I shouldn't have to explain; bog standard is bog standard for a reason.

Moves Explanation:

U-turn is one of the best moves in the game (IMO 3rd best, after Sub and SR). Scizor is undoubtedly the best user of it, with his amazing resistances. Bullet Punch is stupid strong coming from Scizor, and is what it likes to revenge kill with. Pursuit is a great move in general, and Scizor is one of the best users of it. Picking off some frightened Starmie or Celebi is always nice (though I would often just use U-turn). Superpower is largely filler, but it can land a stronger hit on Lucario/Ttar/Blissey that most of his other moves.

EVs and Nature:

Standard EVs. Adamant for stupid power, with Max Atk to hit as hard as possible. HP EVs allow for more switches into SR while still remaining incredibly bulky. Speed is filler.
---

Blissey (F) @

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
- Heal Bell

Why this Pokemon?

As an old ADV player, Blissey is an old favorite for taking almost any special hit without caring. She stops pretty much every special attacker in OU, and is an excellent team supporter as well. Who would've thought an Egg would be so defensive?

Moves Explanation:

Softboiled is basic recovery. Every Blissey should carry it. Heal Bell is great utility. Machamp and Scizor don't have to be afraid of burns, Cress dosen't have to worry about getting hit by a Toxic. Seismic Toss and Toxic combined leave Blissey helpless against only Gengar. Flamethrower would help fix that, but I've found that Seismic Toss is more consistent.

EVs and Nature:

Standard EVs again. Max HP and Def for maximum bulk, taking pretty much anything but physical Fighting-type moves very well. Bold increases physical durability. Leftover EVs go into Speed.
---

Zapdos @

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Speed
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Why this Pokemon?

I used Zapdos on a lot of my teams back in ADV and early DP. Today, it seems like people are forgetting just how good it is. An almost perfect Scizor counter, a great Metagross/Lucario counter, Zapdos dosent deserve to be in the 30s in usage (its sooooo much better than Magnezone, I swear)

Moves Explanation:

Thunderbolt is basic STAB, and always should be on Zapdos. Heat Wave incinerates all those pesky Steel-types bar Heatran (who takes a lot from Tbolt anyways). HP Grass messes up Swampert who try and come in on Tbolt, and also does a number on Hippowdon trying to do the same. Roost is basic, provides Zapdos with incredible longevity.

EVs and Nature:

HP EVs allow 4 switches into SR. Defense EVs and Bold nature allow it to take most physical hits from many powerful sweepers with impunity. Speed EVs let it outspeed all non-Scarf Tyranitar (who uses that now that Latias is gone?), potentially Roosting before Ttar hits with Stone Edge.
---

Machamp (M) @

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Speed
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Dynamicpunch

Why this Pokemon?

Machamp is my absolute favorite Pokemon. Ever since I first saw him in R/B/Y, I always thought "Man, who'd want to mess with that dude?" In DP, Machamp is a monster, and behind a Sub, is the most annoying Pokemon in the game besides Breloom. His only real flaw is low PP on DynamicPunch, but that can be played around.

Moves Explanation:

DynamicPunch is stupid good on Machamp. Can't miss, 100 Base Power, and guaranteed to confuse. Nobody except Ghost-types wants to get hit by it. Payback forms perfect Fighting/Dark coverage, and messes up every Ghost seen commonly in OU. Stone Edge is a strong move, and unlike on other Pokemon, Machamp's can't miss, giving it a great option against bulky Flying-types like Zapdos, Gyarados, and Togekiss. Substitute makes this Machamp work though. Behind it, he is free to toss out a DynamicPunch to catch whatever comes in with Confusion. With Sub, opponents ragequit over how annoying Machamp is.

EVs and Nature:

Adamant nature for max power, Max HP EVs for good bulk, 12 Speed EVs to outrun all other Machamp who run 8 Speed EVs, while not missing out on any KOs with 244 Atk EVs.
---

Cresselia (F) @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
---

Why this Pokemon?

Cresselia is constantly underrated. Despite being messed up by Tyranitar, she is still completely viable, and is my biggest check to Salamence, as well as a great supporter for my team in general. Plus she's super purty :3

Moves Explanation:

Thunder Wave is an all-around great move, slowing faster threats down, allowing Machamp to rip through them easier. Reflect helps soften physical hits, including helping her escape from Scizor and Ttar's Pursuits with less of a scar. Ice Beam hits a lot of things for neutral coverage, and is a super-strong hit on Salamence/Dragonite/Flygon. Moonlight, while somewhat unreliable, is a good healing move if Ttar or Hippowdon don't show up, and Moonlight+Lefties still nets 36% recovery even under SS.

EVs and Nature:

Max HP obviously allows me to take hits incredibly well. Salamence is a big enough threat in the current metagame to warrant an EV spead specifically for it. However, it's still a good enough spread to take hits from other Pokemon quite well. So show this, I have provided some calcs:

240 Naive Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor (New Mixmence)
vs. 252/160 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 41.4% - 48.9% : 3HKO? factoring in SR

16 Naive Life Orb Salamence Outrage (New Mixmence)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 35.4% - 41.9% : 3HKO with SR

16 Naive Life Orb Salamence Outrage (New Mixmence)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia +Reflect : 17.8% - 21.2% : I don't even feel like counting how long that would take to kill.

232 Naive Life Orb Salamence Outrage (DD Mence)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 41.9% - 49.3% : 33% chance to 2HKO with SR (and no SS. However, if SS were to be active, Mence would be at 43%, easy range for Scizor to revenge it)

232 Naive Life Orb Salamence Outrage (DD Mence)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia +Reflect : 20.9% - 25% : Barely a 4HKO with SR

24 Naive Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast (DD Mence)
vs. 252/160 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 19.8% - 23.4% : lulz

232 Naive Life Orb Salamence +1 Outrage (DD Mence)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 62.4% - 73.6% : Easy 2HKO (however, it would have to DD on the switch, meaning the first Outrage wouldn't kill while Cress OHKOs it)

So as you can see, this Cresselia does a very good job of beating most Salamence. Pretty much any of these could be applied to Dragonite, who is obviously weaker.

Other Calcs:

252 Naive Choice Scarf Heatran Fire Blast (ScarfTran)
vs. 252/160 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 31.1% - 36.7% : 3HKO with SR

252 Adamant Life Orb Gyarados Waterfall (Offensive DDGyara)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 29.1% - 34.5% : 3HKO with SR

252 Adamant Life Orb Gyarados +1 Waterfall (Offensive DDGyara)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 43.9% - 51.6% : 2HKO with SR

252 Naive Life Orb Infernape Fire Blast (Specially Based Mixape)
vs. 252/160 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 34.7% - 41.2% : 3HKO with SR

252 Adamant Life Orb Metagross Meteor Mash (Agiligross)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia : 38.7% - 45.9% : 3HKO with SR

252 Adamant Choice Band Scizor U-turn (CBZor)
vs. 252/96 Bold Leftovers Cresselia +Reflect : 30.2% - 36.5% : 3HKO with SR (Cress outruns Scizor, so she can always get reflect up before he can hit her)

Conclusion:

Through weeks of use (albeit minimal), this team has proven to be able to handle most OU threats very effectively. I partially owe the team's success to the unorthodox Cresselia. Who knows, if Salamence does get the boot (I doubt it will, but I can hope, right?), this team would become even better without having to worry about that nuisance. I'm highly proud of this team, and I'd like to see what Smogon thinks of it. If you've read this far, please leave your comments about the team. Thanks in advance

Sprites credit to Bulbapedia. Pictures credit to Arkeis

Not here to rate your team (I'm not very good.) Just here to give you some Swampert advice:

I really don't understand why you think Roar is a good move to phaze Suicune? Your basically just giving us Suicune users a free Calm Mind (if that's what we're running) which we can use against you later.

Don't be so overconfident that Swampert can phaze Suicune (or anything else for that matter), because it won't. Whenever you see one switch to Blissey and poison it with Toxic immediately, this will also stop CroCune from using Rest.

Other than that your team seems fine to me, but then again I'm not very good at rating teams ^_^

forestflamerunner

Ain't no rest for the wicked
@so...ra: you have your facts mixed up. i am pretty sure that when you phaze something, all of its stat boosts disappear. also, when somethings poisoned, it can still rest to get rid of the poison.

now that i got that off my chest, this team is pretty solid. the biggest threat is mixape, which is still taken care of by cresselia. i would however suggest changging blissey to provide wish support, which helps durability. with wish support cresselia can get the wish from blissey since cesselia covers blissey's only weakness (fighting) and as such you could change moonlight to light screen (or something else if you'd prefer) to give you dual screens which is great for any team. if you do go for dual screen, give cresselia light clay to make it last longer. hope i helped.

@So___ra: I appreciate the thought, but everything you said was wrong. When a Pokemon is phazed, it loses all stat boosts it had. Also, Rest cures any status and replaces it with Sleep

@forestflamerunner: Mixape can be a problem, but Cress stops it pretty well (as shown by the calc under it's section), but if Cress falls, it does do quite a number (though I make sure to keep it alive as long as possible). I personally do like Moonlight on it though.

As for the Wish Blissey, I had considered that, and it really would help the team's longevity overall. However, Blissey's Heal Bell is invaluable to the team, and if I ran Heal Bell and Wish, I'd either have to miss out on a Toxic or Protect, both of which are important to it. However, I will test out just a WishBliss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)