SS Ubers Fallen Memory - Oranguru Stall

:ss/quagsire::ss/oranguru::ss/lunala::ss/toxapex::ss/sylveon::ss/zacian-crowned:
Oranguru Stall

Hello, this is my first RMT and I am going to make it on this team I built for Ubers: Oranguru Stall.

As with most RMTs, we should start with the teambuilding process.

I wanted to create a stall team by looking at the Viability Rankings and assembling counters to each mon through the rankings, with more severe methods of dealing with the higher ranked mons. This method is very good if you really want a strong team. I didn't start with any single mon, however I did start with the S and A+ ranks and noticed that Quagsire could deal with Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Zacian-Crowned, and Zekrom at the same time, and added it to the team for this as few other mons on stall can answer these defensively.
:quagsire:

Next, I wanted the hardest counter to Lunala specifically. Lunala is an extremely threating Pokemon to stall. It has Moongeist Beam to ignore Unaware, strong coverage that few walls can cover, and Calm Mind to deter passive play. Perhaps the worst set is Choice Specs, as it can tear through the team and then use Trick to cripple one of the Pokemon. Naturally, I needed a hard counter to this mon, and Oranguru was as hard as it gets.
:quagsire::oranguru:

I needed a stall-breaking mon of my own, as Pokemon such as Eternatus, Toxapex, and Mewtwo were horrible to play against. WispHex Lunala is excellent at taking down stall-breakers such as Eternatus and it can cripple Zacian and Necrozma-Dusk-Mane as well, which is crucial as Zacian-Crowned can deal around 40% to Quagsire with Play Rough and Necrozma-Dusk-Mane's Photon Geyser deals heavy damage after set-up.
:quagsire::oranguru::lunala:

Marshadow was an obvious problem. It beat Oranguru, my typical Ghost-type answer, easily. I added Toxapex as it countered Marshadow, synergized with Lunala by setting Toxic Spikes, and also provided a check to Pokemon such as Reshiram, Kyurem-White, and Darmanitan-Galar, and was a switch-in to Eternatus. Unfortunately, it had to run physical investment to counter Marshadow, so its ability to check special dragons was hindered.
:quagsire::oranguru::lunala::toxapex:

I needed a cleric, and a wish-passer would also be very appreciated for Oranguru and Lunala. Again, Toxapex had to run physical investment, so it struggled with special dragons. Sylveon happily took over the work for Toxapex, being an amazing special wall. Protect also helped a lot against Darmanitan-Galar, allowing me to scout it's attack. Hyper Voice also beat some stall-breakers such as Hydreigon and Sableye.
:quagsire::oranguru::lunala::toxapex::sylveon:

I couldn't get past some mons like Toxapex and Umbreon, because they completely destroyed stall, so I added Zacian to take advantage of the opponent's defensive play. Since I had a Quagsire, it was easily improofable and I was free to run the Swords Dance variant instead of the Protect variant because of this.
:quagsire::oranguru::lunala::toxapex::sylveon::zacian-crowned:

On to the team!

:ss/quagsire:
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

The main physical wall of the team, Quagsire's job is to beat physical Steel-types such as Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Zacian-Crowned, and Melmtal, and also beats some other physical attackers like Zekrom. Scald burns are a big deal, considering Necrozma-Dusk-Mane can ignore Unaware with Photon Geyser. However, Quagsire can actually tank a +3 (+6 if burned!) Photon Geyser from full health if it wishes, and retaliate with an Earthquake. It has nothing to fear from Zacian-Crowned, as even Play Rough can only do about 40%, which Quagsire can Recover off. However, Quagsire cannot take a Solar Blade from Zacian in the sun or in Hero form; Toxapex walls these variants instead. Quagsire is also capable of walling Zekrom, as Quagsire can actually 2HKO Life Orb variants most of the time (near 80%). Unfortunately Life Orb Zekrom can 2HKO back with Focus Blast 77% of the time, though most players won't know this and will instead go for Dragon Claw, which 3HKOs Quagsire without a boost. Scald is chosen over Stockpile because Stockpile only supports Quagsire itself, while Scald burns support the whole team. In SS Ubers stall, team support is more important than self-support, leading Scald to become more wanted. The EV spread may seem strange, but 8 Speed EVs is able to outspeed Melmetal with 12 Speed EVs, a spread designed to speed creep base 35's, such as Quagsire itself. With this, it can Recover off of even a Choice Band Melmetal's Double Iron Bash without getting flinched and wall it, as Quagsire avoids the 2HKO from any attack Choice Band Melmetal has. A Lax nature is chosen as Special Defense is the only stat Quagsire is willing to sacrifice, as you shouldn't keep Quagsire in against a special attacker.

:ss/oranguru:
Oranguru @ Shed Shell
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Rest

The star of the team. Oranguru hard counters most specially offensive Ghost-, Psychic-, and Fairy-types. Specifically, Oranguru counters Lunala, Unaware Clefable, Hatterene, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, and Polteageist, and this just assumes that Light Screen isn't up. With Light Screen, Oranguru can tank any unboosted special hit that isn't super effective and heal right back up with Rest. Few special attackers in SS Ubers run Dark- or Bug-type attacks, with the only ones being Hydreigon and Dragapult. However, Oranguru falls prey to physical attackers; even Dragapult, a Ghost-type special attacker, can 3HKO Oranguru with U-turn. Oranguru cannot wall Mewtwo either, as Mewtwo is able to set up on Oranguru quite easily. Light Screen cannot stop Mewtwo either as Psystrike hits the Defense of the target. As such, Mewtwo can 2HKO Oranguru with Psystrike after a Nasty Plot. Shadow Ball is chosen over a STAB move because neither of Oranguru's STABs are suitable for hitting the threats it checks, not to mention that Lunala and Necrozma-Dawn-Wings resist Psychic, and Hatterene is hit super effectively by Shadow Ball. Light Screen is chosen over Calm Mind because Light Screen is, once again, an option to support the whole team instead of just Oranguru. The main issue with Oranguru is that Light Screen can wear off easily during Rest turns. Oranguru is also quite vulnerable to set-up. This is why Oranguru is best paired with a cleric, who can pass Wishes to Oranguru and can heal sleep status to alleviate these issues somewhat.

:ss/lunala:
Lunala @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Roost
- Defog

Lunala is my Defogger and blanket check to sweepers. It can also check Mewtwo who is not running Shadow Ball, or it can even bait them into using Nasty Plot and use Hex. This is effective even when Mewtwo is not statused, as Lunala's Hex deals 63% on average to a Mewtwo who is not statused. As there is no other Pokemon on the team that can naturally learn Defog, Lunala is forced to slot Defog over Thunder Wave. This would have allowed it to cripple Fire-types like Reshiram, or reach special attackers such as Eternatus better. However, Defog is required; you cannot pressure the opponent into using Defog by setting Toxic Spikes, as a majority of the S and A ranks are composed of Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon, such as Zacian-Crowned, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, and Eternatus. In addition to this, the opponent may carry Excadrill, a Steel-type Pokemon who also knows Rapid Spin. Lunala can block the Rapid Spin due to its typing, however, and Excadrill is vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp too. This also means that Lunala can set up a Will-O-Wisp into Hex combo on Excadrill rather easily, as it has little to fear from it. A stall team also cannot just deal with the hazards, as hazards up worsen a Pokemon's job at countering the threats it is supposed to counter, and allows the opposing team to chip down stall until it is weakened enough that they can break through it. Lunala pairs well with Quagsire, who counters Zacian-Crowned for it and appreciates Defog support as Zacian-Crowned only needs small chip for Quagsire to roll into 2HKO range from Play Rough.

:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is our main check to Eternatus and Marshadow, two otherwise problematic mons. The spread is designed to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Eternatus's Dynamax Cannon, which Toxapex can successfully PP stall using Regenerator and mindgames with Sylveon. Sylveon can also recover Toxapex's health with Wish. Choice Specs Eternatus, while rare, can 2HKO Toxapex with Dynamax Cannon. However as stated it is a very rare set and as such is not stressed very much. Even if it was, Eternatus's coverage is nearly unwallable, so there would be few mons which could properly wall Choice Specs Eternatus. Toxapex also avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Marshadow's Spectral Thief. However, if Marshadow is able to use Bulk Up, it could potentially break past Toxapex. Toxapex also walls Solar Blade Zacian-Crowned and Zacian-Hero for Quagsire, as these variants often slot Solar Blade in their coverage slot, meaning they cannot run Wild Charge to break past Toxapex. Toxapex also serves as the Toxic Spikes setter, which is used in conjunction with Lunala's Hex to sweep teams. Toxapex itself can switch into Toxic Spikes to remove them, allowing Lunala to conserve its Shadow Shield instead of being forced into the battlefield to use Defog, potentially getting its Shadow Shield broken or getting statused.

:ss/sylveon:
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

,Sylveon is the team's cleric, Wishpasser, and Fairy-type all in one. It is a fantastic special wall, and can take on the likes of Reshiram and Kyurem-White. As such, it is the team's counter for these. Well, actually it cannot counter Life Orb Reshiram, as Blue Flare 2HKOs even with Leftovers. It cannot stall Reshiram out for Life Orb recoil and Blue Flare misses either, as Reshiram packs Roost and can heal off the residual damage. Variants of Reshiram with Heavy-Duty Boots, however, can be walled by Sylveon as Blue Flare is a mere 3HKO after Leftovers. Kyurem-White's Ice Beam is much weaker than Reshiram's Blue Flare, so Kyurem-White actually does much less damage than Reshiram. With a Life Orb, Kyurem-White's Ice Beam is only a 3HKO, even after Stealth Rock. Even Choice Specs Kyurem-White's Ice Beam 3HKO's Sylveon from full HP. Passing a Wish is very important for the team, as Oranguru does not have any reliable recovery and is forced to use Rest instead. If Oranguru has already used Rest, Sylveon can use Heal Bell to eliminate the need to stall out Rest turns. Naturally, physical attackers are the bane of Sylveon, so having Quagsire around is great as it counters the various Steel-types in the metagame that threaten Sylveon.

:ss/zacian-crowned:
Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Play Rough
- Behemoth Blade
- Close Combat / Play Rough
- Psychic Fangs

In SS Ubers, running full stall means you will fall prey to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Eternatus, and Toxapex. You can't just outstall those kind of Pokemon unless you run Salazzle, so we're going to have to run an offensive Pokemon. Zacian-Crowned was chosen because it has the speed and power to eliminate many stallbreakers. It also has strong coverage to hit Eternatus and Toxapex with Psychic Fangs, and Close Combat to hit Ferrothorn. While there is no Fire Fang, which could rid of Magearna, Close Combat is a much stronger attack to rid of Steel-types. You may slot Play Rough over Close Combat or Swords Dance though, if you wish, since there are many Dark- and Dragon-type Pokemon Zacian can easily rid of. Swords Dance is an important move since the fattest stallbreakers like Eternatus and Toxapex need a Swords Dance to OHKO. While this was originally a regular Zacian, Zacian-Crowned possesses a very strong typing with a Toxic and Toxic Spikes immunity, and it shares no weaknesses with Sylveon anymore, allowing Sylveon to easily wish pass to it.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Oranguru @ Shed Shell
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Rest

Lunala @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Roost
- Defog

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Behemoth Blade
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

That's my RMT on Oranguru Stall! Have a nice day!

EDIT: Fixed Quagsire's nature, added importable, and changed Wild Charge to Psychic Fangs on Zacian.
EDIT 2: Turned Zacian into Zacian-Crowned.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)