Other Features Fairy-retype opportunities that were missed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Will try to actually get a better title name this time! The Neglected blah blah or something perhaps, I'll think more about it...

- Glalie (Ice/Fairy)
- Phione (Water/Fairy)
- Manaphy (Water/Fairy)
- Audino (Fairy)
- Castform (Fairy)
- Happiny/Chansey/Blissey (Fairy)
- Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit (Psychic/Fairy), probably would have their own sections each
- Cresselia (Psychic/Fairy)
- Milotic (Water/Fairy)
- Luvdisc (Water/Fairy)
- Chimecho (Psychic/Fairy)
- Volbeat/Illumise (Bug/Fairy)
- Petilil/Lilligant (Grass/Fairy)
- Bellossom (Grass/Fairy)
- Mega Absol (Dark/Fairy) (even gets Play Rough via egg moves!)

Gains/losses, may make something more viable? Access to Dazzling Gleam/Moonblast/Play Rough may help? New type match-ups? Some people wondered if Milotic was retyped to Fairy and we had to use that person in Le Wow to check its typing. Milotic seems more likely to be Water/Dragon however because Dragon egg group and Dragon moves... Fairy retype still sounds really cool for it tho!

Random comment on how Mr. Mime family is now a Fairy but is not in the Fairy egg group so why not these possible new Fairies.

Pokebank comes in a couple of weeks or something like that so we can check if Cress/Azelf and friends/Manaphy family were actually retyped or not. I can write out the other sections, but leave those blank until then.

Rumor about Latias retyped to Dragon/Fairy in mega evo.

This would be my complete list of excluded Fairies. Would like to try to keep them all (EVEN LUVDISC!). May mean shorter comments though? Too many Water/Fairies and Psychic/Fairies? hehe.

Bring up theoretical damage calculations against possible threats one of the new Fairies would encounter. Not all of them would have it, but the more important ones like say Azelf Moonblast against popular Dark-types, Blissey defensive calcs (not really sold on defensive calcs though...), and MEGA ABSOL STAB PLAY ROUGH oooo looks sooo yummmmmyyyyyyyy.

Art can have like a Glalie with fairy wings or something lol. Or a really cool Mega Absol piece. A beautiful fairy Milotic would also probably work out. But I'll still give the artist the freedom to do whatever they want to do of course.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd really try to limit this to just 10 mons total when you write it, otherwise people just tend to stop reading (me included). These are my favorite kinds of articles though and would love to see this.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmmm, okay, that makes sense.

Glalie
Chansey/Blissey
Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit
Cresselia
Milotic MANAPHY
Illumise or Volbeat
Lilligant
Mega Absol

Chansey/Blissey is its own section. Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit are separate.

Oh, I can like include the ones that didn't get their own sections in a special mention paragraph thing or something.

ty OGLEMI!

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd drop Milotic and talk about Manaphy instead, just because Manaphy>Milotic on the cute scale and also because it's more competitively relevant 9.9(also I agree I always imagined Milotic as part Dragon too).

Ice/Fairy Glalie is just really funny to think about and can't wait to see if an artist hits it up lol

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eeeeeeeeh somewhat on the fence by default when it comes to theorymonning threads like this, or those that are almost wish threads in disguise. We've had articles like this before, but then they put heavy focus on how they'd affect the meta/their old threats, and I can't see much of that mentioned in the OP.

Ice/Fairy Glalie is just really funny to think about
damn right it is

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
I'd be sure to put a lot of focus on how they'd affect the meta and their old threats, definitely. The Psychics, for instance, are no longer Pursuit weak (and although they will become Steel/Bullet Punch weak, they can switch out more easily as Pursuit won't deal as much damage/won't be used against them) and have an additional STAB to hit Dark-types, mainly Tyranitar. Mega Absol, I can probably stress how its STAB Play Rough in tandem with Sucker Punch and other coverage moves can deal heavy damage to a lot of the metagame. Fighting-types no longer have a STAB priority move to hit it with too, but in exchange Scizor's Bullet Punch would hurt. Lilligant would become waaay better imo in exchange for that dual Poison weakness. Its coverage is really lacking, and as such, Moonblast would help a lot against Fighting/Dark/Dragon Pokemon. The only issue are Fire-types, which can be dealt with... Hidden Power Rock I guess, but most are on the frail/somewhat decent bulk side anyway. Blissey being pure Fairy would be really different to face. No longer are Fighting-types its bane; it'll have to be the Scizor Bullet Punches, random Poison Jabs, and obscure Meteor Mashes. In fact, it may be too strong? But it still has that set-up fodder syndrome feeling. Glalie and Volbeat/Illumise would take some magic to work on however... I'll theorymon them for a future lower tier maybe? They get the cool Fairy resists but still have those lackluster stats. I really want to include Glalie at least. :(

Oh and Manaphy, immunity to the ever-present Ubers Dragon-type attacks is really cool! Dark/Fight resistance against Darkrai is nice... though vulnerable to Dark Void (unless rain's on then Darkrai is really... countered lol!). Tail Glow or Calm Mind/Rest/Surf/Moonblast is good coverage, only Ferrothorn and... those Shedinja would be an issue.

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wondering but would it cover different Pokemon to the ones mentioned in Issue 29? I just think it'd be better off if it wasn't pretty much repeating from that article back then. From the looks of it, it seems like you have good idea of what to cover, but I'm just wondering what the best way about it would be. You could do like tier-by-tier, which would definitely make sure you cover the issue of old threats and it wouldn't seem like a mass overload of Pokemon (and would look like fair coverage), and you could discuss the current metagames much easier. But if you did a Pokemon each paragraph it'd be more comprehensive. I think it'd be better if you did it tier-by-tier since you can make sure you cover the old threats, the metagames, and they all sort of fit in better with each other than if you did it one-by-one. I personally think it could work if you just discussed how new fairies would affect each tier, but yeah.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
I checked the article. It only gives a brief, one line mention that includes Pokemon from the Fairy egg group that had potential of gaining the Fairy-type (like it'll mention Glalie but that's it, nothing in-depth). This one will be expanding on that aspect (+ a little more other Pokemon!).

Yeah, tier-by-tier sounds nice! I think I actually do have a Fairy per tier. Although... Manaphy loses its ability to infinitely Rest up because of the rain nerf so perhaps it may actually drop down to OU this time around? Would be interesting! (Not like I'm a prophet or anything lol!) Anyway, going this way also ensures keeping the lower tiered Fairies that I really wanted to keep.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea sounds fine if you're covering more in-depth competitively. I'm not sure about tier-by-tier? Do you mean BW or XY tiers? Because by the time this issue is released at most there's only XY UU? Not too sure though. Or you're going to use theoretical tiers for RU / NU in the case of XY idk.

Oh yea if you're using XY tiers, which I assume so since Mega Absol ??, are you going to use XY or Pokebank tiers since pre-bank is probably going to be obsolete by then. Haha. Sounds good with me!

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Definitely Pokebank tiers. It's coming out really soon. But if they're not present yet, yeah theoretical tiers for RU / NU.

(Also nice to see your badges back, sandz! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)