Escavalier

Does the Rest thing really work on this guy? While I prefer Leftovers Sub, Rest seems kind of interesting if the opponent only relies on bulky things without fire moves to beat him although Heatran and a couple other things will still be annoying and force you to switch. I have to try it out sometime because it seems interesting now...if only Shubargo had decent speed to abuse the Chesto Rest but it is very suprisingly bulky. I don't know if Dustproof is needed since he's immune to sand and few people run Hail (especially now that Drizzle+Swift Swim clause is being tested). Swarm just gives a massive powerboost to Megahorn if something does happen to take you down to low health (Doryuzu, Landlos, Terakion, Fire move in rain, etc).

Wow for the one above, Shubargo was lucky to survive +2 Earthquake from Doryuzu since that has 58% of ohkoing max/min and lol Counter kill awesomeness. Counter is pretty good on Shubargo since it survives all sorts of things.

Does the Rest thing really work on this guy? While I prefer Leftovers Sub, Rest seems kind of interesting if the opponent only relies on bulky things without fire moves to beat him although Heatran and a couple other things will still be annoying and force you to switch. I have to try it out sometime because it seems interesting now...if only Shubargo had decent speed to abuse the Chesto Rest but it is very suprisingly bulky. I don't know if Dustproof is needed since he's immune to sand and few people run Hail (especially now that Drizzle+Swift Swim clause is being tested). Swarm just gives a massive powerboost to Megahorn if something does happen to take you down to low health (Doryuzu, Landlos, Terakion, Fire move in rain, etc).

Wow for the one above, Shubargo was lucky to survive +2 Earthquake from Doryuzu since that has 58% of ohkoing max/min and lol Counter kill awesomeness. Counter is pretty good on Shubargo since it survives all sorts of things.
Heatran's taking this thing out regardless, tbh

Well obviously not every pokemon is able to have a moveset to take care of every other pokemon and threat out there. If you are running this guy, you just got to make sure you take out heatran before you send out escavalier.

Easier said than done, considering everything Heatran is able to switch in onto it usually does with impunity. Though from what I've seen lately Magnezone w/ HP Fire has become the de-facto Esca, Skarm, Ferrothorn and Scizor (w/o U-Turn) counter. Only time it fails to beat Esca is if its taken previous damage and comes in on a Sub and lets it activate Swarm to run it through.

Heatran is a big threat but don't overlook Magnezone w/ HP fire, it is the standard Magnezone set this gen and in some ways far more of a threat than Heatran to Esca being able to trap. Heatran if you see one you can bide your time finding a opportunity to kill it, Magnezone just outright cockblocks you. Also no, Shed Shell is not a very good item for Esca, its always better to just take note if they have a Magnezone and try play around it.

Well, I tried a few sets (SubSD, CB and ChestoRest) and to be honest I found myself wishing I could just remove my status and restore my HP faster than Leftovers in a lot of encounters with enemies. Like, I could beat an enemy 1v1 but if it left me at 20% and with a burn then I'm screwed. ChestoRest gives you an opportunity to take out one Poke and have a high chance of doing the same to the next.

Really, though, everything with a Fire move will force you out, especially Heatran. There's really not much to do except say "oh well" and switch to your bulky water (if you run one, of course). Come back later on in the match.

Ability-wise, it's all situational. With Chestorest you'll hopefully never be in the range of Swarm to activate, otherwise it's pointless. That works a lot better for subCB, though. I might recommend Shell Armor on the ChestoRest and nothing sucks more than setting up on a weak wall only to have it crit you. The reason I ran Dustproof was because I found myself being annoyed at some Ice Body Pokemon who really made my life difficult, due to me being much slower than them. It's incredibly situational (just like the 6.25% crit chance) so it's all personal preference. I just decided that Swarm went against the point of the set, where the idea is to be at +2 Atk and fully restored after the rest.

Your mileage may vary but hey, it worked for me.

Shell Armour seems like the best option, because it gives you safety. Crits aren't common but they DO happen and even though you can get a Megahorn boost from Swarm, the idea is to Rest up on low health. I've been beaten by crits in battles before, and though crit-proof abilities are usually overshadowed, here it seems like the best option.

Escavalier (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Substitute
- Return
- Swords Dance

Pursuit is an option if you want to scare off Latios or other Psychics/Ghosts. This set hard counters Reuniclus and sets up on Ferrothorn for free.

Breeding an Impalement Escavalier (Megahorn and Pursuit) and am wondering what some good Iv's would look like. Im really new to IV's so help would be greatly appreciated.
My first hatched Karrablast has 23/14/4/9/4/14 IV's and jolly nature with "scatters things often".

Advice?

@ dancehaldance

"good" IVs vary person to person. It really just boils down to what you settle for. Some people will live with below average IVs if they have a perfect IV in the stat they most want (for example, you will most likely want high attack for Escavalier), while others strive for more well rounded IVs(say.. 25+ in every stat)

For Escavalier I'd say you shouldn't worry so much about speed, since he won't be outspeeding anything anyway, or special attack, as you most likely won't be running any special attacks. Also Adamant is probably the best nature for your Escavalier, since the extra speed from Jolly won't help him as much with his terrible base speed.

Special attack and speed don't really matter on Escavalier (in fact, lower speed means it outruns Rank in Trick Room for sure), but you'll want plenty of attack and defenses, as well as HP. Those IVs don't cut it at all.

Adamant is also the best nature for it, hands down.

A Couple of eggs later...

And I have a karrablast that's bashful with "likes to thrash about"

the IV's are 15/26/20/25/20/15

theyre better then before but are they passable in competitive battle?

And I have a karrablast that's bashful with "likes to thrash about"

the IV's are 15/26/20/25/20/15

theyre better then before but are they passable in competitive battle?
You can definitely do better. You want 31 in attack for sure. See if you can find someone who'll give you a flawless Ditto to use as a parent over at the wifi subforum.

As someone already said, Steel Trapper Magnezone eats this thing alive.
You SD, they switch in and you're dead to an HP Fire.
You Sub, they switch in and take a Megahorn, live, HP Fire, and HP Fire next turn.
It's like, kind of a deadweight imo. And Trick Room's use is debatable. I mean, the max turns is 5, and in that amount of time, the opponent can't switch in anything to kill this?! Is that what y'all are saying? Zapdos comes in with pleasure, takes any hit, and OHKO's w/ Heat Wave, and Roosts off any damage.

As someone already said, Steel Trapper Magnezone eats this thing alive.
You SD, they switch in and you're dead to an HP Fire.
You Sub, they switch in and take a Megahorn, live, HP Fire, and HP Fire next turn.
It's like, kind of a deadweight imo. And Trick Room's use is debatable. I mean, the max turns is 5, and in that amount of time, the opponent can't switch in anything to kill this?! Is that what y'all are saying? Zapdos comes in with pleasure, takes any hit, and OHKO's w/ Heat Wave, and Roosts off any damage.
I'm pretty sure Megahorn is a 2hit KO on Zapdos, so in trick room. You switch, you get hit by a Megahorn, and then it hits you again...great counter.

Sure he has his disadvantages, but so does every pokemon. Nobody is saying Scizor is useless because magnezone traps it (if it doesn't have u-turn) and nobody says Garchomp is useless just because i'ts X4 to Ice.

Yes those are extreme examples, but it's defenses and attack mean it can fill a completely different role, it slaughters reuniclus, laughs at gliscor, scares the shit out of Latios/as can take massive damage, and lets not get into how effective he can be in the rain... It's not a deadweight any much as Garchomp is.

More situational? Debatable, useless? Not by any means.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree obviously.

You make a valid point, but I'm not too convinced about that Zapdos calc.
We're talking a 248/228 Bold Zappy being 2HKO'd here to an unboosted Megahorn? Hm...

We're talking a 248/228 Bold Zappy being 2HKO'd here to an unboosted Megahorn? Hm...
If Stealth Rocks are out a CB Megahorn can potentially 2HKO a physically defensive Zapdos so you can't switch into it during TR, you have to sacrifice something. If they're lucky enough to get Escavalier into Swarm health zone before attempting the sweep, Escavalier doesn't even need SR anymore to blow physically bulky Zapdos two ways to next Sunday doing 53% MINIMUM.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I wonder if Endure+Swarm+TR could be viable. I'll run some tests instead of just theorymonning.
The problem is there's just not enough time to set up in TR... especially when using an unreliable method like Endure. Although Escavalier does have Swarm and Reversal to abuse it, you'd at best have only 2 turns of sweeping before TR ends and you're easiliy picked off.

CB Megahorns from this guy are incredible though, I'd say that's the way to go. The calc vs. 248/228+ Zapdos is 35.2% - 41.5%.

"Megahorn is the star of the show here, dealing absurd amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and 2HKOing quite a few things that do. For example, 252/0 Machamp is always 2HKO'd by it and even 252/220 Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn whilst Stealth Rock is in play. "

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I would say brave is a better nature than adamant, simply because it allows him to take better advantage of his slow speed during trick room and he won't be outrunning anything anyway. I mean, slowbro outspeeds.

I would say brave is a better nature than adamant, simply because it allows him to take better advantage of his slow speed during trick room and he won't be outrunning anything anyway. I mean, slowbro outspeeds.
Adamant and 8 speed outspeeds Ferrothorn to do roughly 80% with megahorn. It can save it from being leech seeded. Whereas going slow, running minimum speed will only notably outspeed Reuniclus in trick room. Otherwise, its so slow that nothing else will have a notable difference.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
If he ever gets gyro ball you can use him and then get dissapointed.

Adamant and 8 speed outspeeds Ferrothorn to do roughly 80% with megahorn. It can save it from being leech seeded. Whereas going slow, running minimum speed will only notably outspeed Reuniclus in trick room. Otherwise, its so slow that nothing else will have a notable difference.
Forgot about ferrothorn. I'd be worried about outspeeding trick room reun since some of them have started carrying calm mind for Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)