Emulating DP

Attention: There is a new version of NO$GBA out now which works better. Download it from the link below and overwrite the old .exe with the new one! Current Version=2.6a

Basically this is a guide to running the pokemon games on your computer without paying a penny - and using pokesav on those games. The advantages of using an emulator are obvious: it is free, you don't need a DS and you can take screenshots.

You will need:
- No$GBA - get it here
- The Pokemon ROM dump - search Google for it
- The .sav file converter - get it here (note the new location)
- Pokesav - get it here (Right Click > Save Target As...)
- A .sav file for lazy people - get it here (and overwrite the existing one in BATTERY)

#1 Unzip the NO$GBA archive to any random folder and unrar the ROM dump to the same place.

#2 Run the NO$GBA.exe file and in the open dialogue that appears select the Pokemon ROM.

#3 You will see an error - this is normal! Press F11 and in the dialogue box change the settings to resemble exactly those in the screenshot below:

#4 Go to Options > Save Options

#5 Go to File > Reset Cartridge.

#6 The game should now start running normally.

Controls:
Space = A
Tab = B
X = X
Z = Y
Left Alt = L
Right Alt = R
Enter = Start
The arrow keys = The D-Pad (surprise)
A Left-Click on the touchscreen = a touch on the same place.

To use pokesav on your save files:

Open the NO$GBA.ini file (in the same directory as the .exe) and change the line that reads:

SAV/SNA File Format == Compressed to SAV/SNA File Format == Uncompressed

Open NO$GBA and create a save game. Then close the program.

#3 Unzip the converter and run the exe.

#4 In the converter window click Configure.

#5 Click the top button then browse to your NO$GBA.ini file. Then click Save and Back (but not the other two big buttons)

#6 In the main program window click on diamond.sav (or pearl.sav) and click Convert.

#7 Open the newly created file (by default it is called NewSaveGame.SAV) in pokesav and edit away.

#8 Save the modified file as diamond.sav in the BATTERY directory- delete the existing one but not the backup.

#9 Enjoy playing pokemon.

To use Action Replay codes:

@Mariomanc (who sent me a PM): To use AR codes you need to press F2 and in the box that appears click New. In the new dialogue copy and paste the code (straight from codejunkies.com) into the large box and enter a short description in the small box. Tick the circle saying ARDS, leave the RAW box unticked and click OK. You then need to double click on the little circle to the left of the code to activate it and then press OK on that box.
You could also take the codes from the new article that's appeared here in C&C but they are untested.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
This thread was locked, and I don't know why. It's okay to have a thread about emulation, you just can't link directly to ROMs. Was this thread in response to me asking for how to take animated screenshots of DP Sprites? Because if so, elaboration on that is in order!

Taking Screenvideos of the sprites

Use Camstudio - get it here

#1 Get past the point where you get the pokedex and the poketech.

#2 Run Camstudio then go to Region > Fixed Region, click Select and drag the box around the area the enemy pokemon appear in.

#3 Battle random trainers or other people (or of course use the Edits > Cheats feature in NO$GBA to set the wild pokemon with AR codes) and record, in real time, the Sprite animation.

The best time to do your battles is either indoor (if the pokemon aren't white or brown) or outside in the daytime (if the pokemon aren't green).

#4 Save the .avi file produced.

This isn't an ideal method for doing this but its the only way I can think of.

My no$gba freezes when I kill the Starly in the first battle sequence, every single time. Is that caused by the ROM or the emulator itself? My settings are the same as those in the picture.

I've got past that point and other people have completed the game so it's not a general problem.

Reports elsewhere on the internet say that on some computers having the sound disabled can cause battle freezes so try turning it on (you can still mute your computer). In the picture the sound is off because the music is bugged mostly and sounds awful. That said now that I know about this I'll change it!

That's right. I had to get my Aunt and Uncle to get Diamond for me and my bro cause they don't have it in SA so I used the Emu for a while. It was frikkin slow at the time but maybe they've updated it? But ya I remember for battles you turn the sound on which makes it lag even more but you just turn it off afterwards.

The speeds are a bit better now - battles and non-3D scenes run at 100% but the 3D scenes don't get much faster than 60%

Your SAV Converter's link is down, just to let you know.
It seems that Angelfire doesn't allow you to direct link to their files unless you have their site open in another tab (this is why I didn't notice it to start with). The link has been updated to point to the webpage - the download link is at the bottom.

I'm running on Windows, and I can't open RAR file.
Any help (that doesn't include downloading a file that costs money)?

My no$gba freezes when I kill the Starly in the first battle sequence, every single time. Is that caused by the ROM or the emulator itself? My settings are the same as those in the picture.
If you turn off the sound it will freeze after a battle. That happened with me atleast. So try turning on the sound.

oh nvm people answered already

CPU V2.0 are you sure you have actually extracted the files and are not just running the exe from inside the archive?

7-Zip
opens rar files and, unlike winrar, is free.

Sorry not to get have gotten back to everyone sooner but I've been a bit busy and not checking my PMs.

@CPU V2: Does it work for you now?

@Slickee: the game always freezes if minimized but if you just change focus and leave it maximised it still works.

@Samwise:
Wi-fi theoretically works but the packets for Pokemon and other non-homebrew games are encrypted somehow and so aren't being emulated correctly.

@Mariomanc (who sent me a PM): To use AR codes you need to press F2 and in the box that appears click New. In the new dialogue copy and paste the code (straight from codejunkies.com) into the large box and enter a short description in the small box. Tick the circle saying ARDS, leave the RAW box unticked and click OK. You then need to double click on the little circle to the left of the code to activate it and then press OK on that box.

I might get some screengrabs done for those instructions at a later date but I can't be bothered now. Hope this helps.

I have another question...

Okay, so wifi isn't available. What about union room (As in, top floor of the pokemon center)?

Can you pal park yet? Or is that still disabled?

Also, there was talk a few months ago about wifi, and some were propising irc (a dedicated server for just wifi trades, gts, etc - at least, emu -> emu). Any more talk on that?

Nothing involving multiplayer currently works. Pal Park is still disabled - NO$GBA doesn't recognise GBA ROMs running at the same time yet.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
posting to note that on a dual-core 1.9ghz laptop with 2gig of ram, the emulator works very well..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)