XY NU emonem - moms spagget

___________Introduction_________
Hello and welcome to my NU RMT. I have been loving NU ever since the alpha version way back, and have been playing almost daily since then (I have no life). The tier has been seeing more stall as of late, I don't hate stall or anything but ive decided to go the opposite route w/ this team. This team is a hyper offense team based around stacking spikes early game then cleaning up late game. If you like fast paced games that usually end in 20 turns or less this is a great team for you. Every team member (besides my spiker) has the potential to clean up late-game, whether it be their great speed or their ability to setup to great speeds. I feel like this team has a good match up versus stall and offense. Stall has its walls hole-punched so another sweeper can just get past the walls, plus spikes is bothersome for stall. Offense has to deal with the very fast mons this team has and is prone to being swept/picked-off by pretty much any of my mons. Usually with this team you can just play very safe, I hardly switch when I use this team. No, the title has nothing to do with the team. I just needed a title and I thought this was funny.

____________Preview____________

BW sprites are better than XY sprites

___________Teambuilding________
- I started this team off with Sneasel because I haven't gotten a chance to use it this gen, and I also think it has the strongest knock off with Shiftry gone now. A really underrated threat that I believe deserves more usage. At this point in teambuilding I was unsure if I wanted Sneasel to be Eviolite-SD or LifeOrb-4 Attacks, so I just left it blank until I finished the rest of the team. I was also unsure where I should take this team in terms of play-style.
- Adding Qwilfish as a suicide lead really made me want this team's play style to be hyper offense, so that's what I did. At this point I knew Qwilfish was a great partner for Sneasel because it could lay spikes so that the opponent will get worn down really quick in conjunction to knocking off the opponent's leftovers with Sneasel.
- Slurpuff was added because it has great offensive synergy with Sneasel. Slurpuff could switch into things like mach punch from Gurdurr, which is a common way to revenge sneasel, and proceed to setup on Gurdurr if it needs to. I made Slurpuff a special set because I already had 2 physical attacker and spiritomb spamming will-o-wisp seems annoying for Sneasel. Since im using Slurpuff as a setup sweeper I decided to make Sneasel a 4-attacks set.
- I got the idea of adding Rhydon from an OU core known as MawChomp. Basically the idea behind the core is that fairy and ground have perfect offensive synergy. I went with the dual dancing set because I want Rhydon to break walls but I also want it to take advantage of the spikes on the field so rock polish is used for cleaning. Rhydon is also a safety net for belly drum Slurpuffs, which is something most offensive teams struggle with, Rhydon can take the +6 play rough and retaliate with a powerful earthquake. Rhydon setups up on Probopass, the best check to Slurpuff, so it's a great team mate for slurpuff in that regards.
- I noticed this team was very weak to Lilligant if it gets to +1, so I added scarf rotom which I can do enough damage with a shadow ball to be able to revenge it with Sneasel's ice shard. I noticed this team had a bad steel weakness, so Rotom adds a steel resistance. Klinklang is especially scary for this team so far, if it gets up a shift gear it will be hard to take down luckily Rotom is resistant/immune to all of Klinklang's moves. I also added Rotom because I needed a ghost type to keep my spikes on the field from rapid spinners.
- Sceptile was added as a gatr check. Sceptile can take care of seismitoad really easily (obviously), a common matchup on turn one is Seismitoad vs Qwilfish. I usually always taunt first turn and then setup up a spike and let Qwilfish die, so having Sceptile means there is usually no rocks on my side of the field. Sceptile also takes care of ground types that block Rotom's volt switch.

____________InDepth___________

Sneasel @

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

The most underrated mon right now. Sneasel is so fast and has the ability to check things faster with its STAB-priority ice shard such as Swellow, Sceptile, +1 Lilligant, +2 Xatu, Ninjask, and more. I think Sneasel actually has the strongest knock off in NU ever since Shiftry left, which is even more reason to use it. Knock off can take off the enemy's leftovers which causes them to be worn down by spikes even more, so a poke like Granbull which commonly switches into Sneasel will be worn down for Rhydon to sweep late-game. I use brick break on Sneasel because it's useful for after I knock off Ferroseed, hits Probopass harder, and of course can break screens which honestly isn't very popular but I don't want to be in a pickle against smash pass teams that rely on screens. Brick break can be used against Pawniard that usually think that they can setup on Sneasel, also I don't have the safest of switch-ins to Pawniard so it's nice to have brick break. Inner Focus is really funny when a Kangaskhan tries to go for fake out and then you dent it w/ knock off or brick break. I run a jolly nature instead of an adamant nature because it's useful for outspeeding non-scarf Pyroar, Archeops, Cryogonal, Liepard, Meowstic, Mismagius, Raichu, Rapidash, Serperior, Swoobat, Tauros, Kadabra, and Scyther. Life orb is ran instead of eviolite because it allows Sneasel to wall-break early game so that another team-mate can take advantage of the weakened opponent. Or, since Sneasel has really great speed, it can downright sweep on it's own with spikes support. I'm gonna end off Sneasel w/ saying that you should try it, it has PU-level usage, which is disgusting for such a great mon. Edit: As Soulgazer suggested, i'm switching brick break to low kick because it hits Probopass, Klinklang, and the Regis much more harder than brick break.

Qwilfish @

Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Taunt

Suicide lead Qwilfish, nice hazards fren. I chose Qwilfish over something like Omastar because I believe Qwilfish is the best hazard lead in the meta. It taunt Omastar before it can setup its hazards, and waterfall is used for Archeops leads so if Qwilfish gets taunted you can 2HKO it. Qwilfish also beats lead-Crustle no problem thx to taunt, waterfall, and intimidate. Qwilfish prevents lead Seismitoads from setting up rocks with taunt and can get up a layer of spikes, easily being forced out by Sceptile after I get my spikes up. Explosion is useful for when I get up all my hazards and want a free switch, when I want to dent a part of the enemy's defensive core, or prevent a rapid spin without risking Rotom switching into a knock off from sandslash or ice beam from cryogonal. Spikes are important for the rest of my pokes to clean up later in the match. 3 layers of spikes lets Sneasel get a guaranteed KO w/ knock off and ice punch on Rhydon on the switch, pretty much a guaranteed KO on Ferroseed w/ knock off and brick break with 3 spikes, and probably a lot more important KOs but I don't feel like making dozens of calcs right now. The gist behind having spikes is so that my many cleaners can in fact; clean. Qwilfish's poison typing is also good if I suspect the opponent has toxic spikes, so I can save it later to absorb the toxic spikes so Slurpuff and Rhydon have an easier time setting up.

Slurpuff @

Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Here we have offensive calm mind Slurpuff. I mean, why would I not add Slurpuff on a spike stacking team? Slurpuff goes really well with Sneasel since Sneasel has a 4x weakness to fighting. Commonly the opponent will try to pick off Sneasel w/ mach punch, I can switch in Slurpuff on the mach punch or I can sac Sneasel for the free switch into Slurpuff for Slurpuff to set-up. I chose Slurpuff to be special since Qwilfish, Sneasel, and Rhydon are physical. Being special also means that Slurpuff is less worried of will-o-wisp from Spiritomb. I chose psychic and flamethrower as my coverage moves because psychic is useful for Garbodor and Dragalge, which if Garbodor runs seed bomb it can be troublesome for Rhydon and Dragalge is taken out after it takes HP ice from Sceptile and switching into spikes and a calm mind boost. Flamethrower is used because it hits Klinklang that try to set-up on Slurpuff and it hits Pawniard which is useful if it decides to setup on Rotom if im locked into shadow ball.
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Nice
- Return
- Substitute
- Belly Drum

Belly Drum Slurpuff is also great w/ the team. I like both, but it's kind of a toss up on which I think is better for the team. Maybe with the tier shift that's happening soon belly drum will be better because spiritomb can't burn it. Thx for the suggestion, Hollywood.

Rhydon @

Ability: Lightningrod
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Dual dance Rhydon aka the stall destroyer unless they have Tangela. Rhydon was added because the #1 check to Slurpuff is Probopass, which Rhydon has absolutely no problem OHKO'ing it. I chose dual dance over something like bulky attacker w/ roar because I feel like rock polish allows Rhydon to take advantage of spikes the fullest. You may be saying to yourself, "NO ROCKS ERMAGERD", but honestly I don't really need rocks since the things that aren't hit by spikes (flying types and mesprit/uxie) because my team handles those threats pretty well. I have ice on Sneasel and Sceptile, electric on Rotom, and rock on Rhydon so flying types are not a problem; Sneasel's knock off takes care of Uxie and Mesprit. Rhydon absorbs t-waves aimed at Slurpuff, Sneasel, and Sceptile with it's totally not useless ability lightningrod. Rhydon's ev spread lets it outspeed base 110's after a rock polish, while still having an adamant nature for extra power. You can run Megahorn if you like, but the classic edgequake combo hits pretty much the whole tier besides bulky grasses like Tangela. Edit: Soulgazer's Suggestion of switching rock polish to stealth rock was a much needed suggestion, thx SG.

Rotom @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Choice scarf Rotom is used for checking the dangerous Klinklang because it is looking pretty scary for this team considering I have 3 steel weaknesses at this point. Rotom acts as my spin blocker so that way I keep my spikes on the field. Rotom is also a nice check Zangoose because if it has quick attack it can do some good damage to my team. Rotom is really important if the opponent has a Lilligant because it can outspeed at +1, shadow ball and put Lilligant in ice shard range from Sneasel. Like Rhydon, Rotom can also switch in on t-waves which severely cripple this team other wise. Typically you want to avoid choiced pokemon on a hyper offense team as it can severely lose you momentum, but the only thing blocking volt switch is ground types which give a free switch in to Sceptile. Spiritomb can try and pursuit trap Rotom, but I can just bring in Slurpuff afterwards and setup. If a Sandslash is on the field I usually go into Rotom regardless if I think it's gonna knock off or not because that means a free switch into Sceptile anyways. Edit: I'm slashing Will-O-Wisp on Rotom because this team has many ways of dealing with flying types already, so Will-O-Wisp can be useful vs Rhydon; suggested by Dat Blast.

Sceptile @

Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm / Substitute

Without Sceptile, my team would be pummeled by gatr. Sceptile acts as my main gatr check because even at +6 (gatr should never be getting past +2 because of how offensive this team is, but lets just say it gets +6) gatr can't OHKO with aqua jet and Sceptile has a 99% chance to OHKO w/ giga drain or a guaranteed OHKO with leaf storm. Sceptile forces Seismitoad to switch if my opponent leads w/ it, I pretty much always taunt w/ Qwilfish so the combination of Sceptile + Qwilfish prevents rocks all the time if they have Seismitoad. Life orb leaf storm is also really great for wall-breaking. While this team isn't really a switchy type of team, I feel like the spattack drops are manageable from leaf storm. HP ice and focus blast give Sceptile really great coverage as it's able to hit steel types harder w/ focus blast, so bop there goes Probopass, Ferroseed, and Klinklang; HP ice hits flying types like Archeops which avoid the spikes, and is generally good coverage since HP fire does the same amount as focus blast to Ferroseed. Edit: Brawlfest's suggestion of substitute is really good because most of the time w/ hazards giga drain will do the job anyways, and substitute lets you avoid status and sucker punch.

___________Conclusion__________
Thank you for reading my RMT! I'll gladly take any criticism towards this team. Feel free to use this team, not like you need my permission to use it anyways. As far as ladder rating goes I've gotten to #6 on the ladder with this team, which is pretty respectable even if you think the ladder isn't that great. Edit: got a higher score, now im #3.

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Taunt

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm / Substitute

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey Davon, cool team!

TBH I personally think that every teams need Stealth Rock, especially offensive teams such as yours as all of your Pokemon will appreciate the residual damage. Since your team is already quite fast with Sneasel + Sceptile + Choice Scarf Rotom and Unburden Slurpuff, I am going to suggest you to run Stealth Rock over Rock Polish on Rhydon as your team clearly covers faster threats already lol. You will also still be able to beat Stall with Swords Dance :toast:.

I am also going to suggest trying out Low Kick > Brick Break on Sneasel as it will hit Steel-types such as Probopass and Klinklang harder.

Hope I helped!

Hey Davon, cool team!

TBH I personally think that every teams need Stealth Rock, especially offensive teams such as yours as all of your Pokemon will appreciate the residual damage. Since your team is already quite fast with Sneasel + Sceptile + Choice Scarf Rotom and Unburden Slurpuff, I am going to suggest you to run Stealth Rock over Rock Polish on Rhydon as your team clearly covers faster threats already lol. You will also still be able to beat Stall with Swords Dance :toast:.

I am also going to suggest trying out Low Kick > Brick Break on Sneasel as it will hit Steel-types such as Probopass and Klinklang harder.

Hope I helped!
I'm gonna agree, this team is already really fast, and I think you're right that I don't need rock polish on Rhydon. Stealth rock is going to be really good. Since i used 240 speed EVs to outspeed base 110's after a rock polish, im just going to max out speed so that way i'll outspeed uninvested base 70's, still with an adamant nature. I'm a bit iffy on low kick over brick break though. The power drops to 40 on Ferroseed and Pawniard, but the power becomes quite real when I attack the regi's, klinklang, and probopass though, so I think im going to go with your suggestion. thx for the rate :]

Hey Davon, cool team!

Hope I helped!
This

Seriously though I really love your team Davon ^.^. It is incredibly well built, and there really isn't much for me to say especially after Soulgazer went in and went ham. The only things I would reccomend is running Substitute > Leaf Storm. With the insane amount of hazards you will have up the majority of the time, Giga Drain is by far strong enough to get by, but with the added benefit of avoiding stuff like Thunder Wave or abusing forced switches on a Toad or something Substitute has far more utility.

I also see Sticky Web and Defog as being annoying so you could try Pawniard > Sneasel but tbh it isn't manditory solid team!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah agreeing with SG on SR Rhydon since like he said the extra residual is rather helpful and you have so many cleaners it's kinda unnecessary. Not so sure about Substitute Sceptile in this particular case because your team really appreciates Leaf Storm's ability to just hit super hard and put a lot more pressure on stuff like Garbodor and Weezing or just generally bulky mons like Gurdurr which can be a little annoying. Slurpuff can already serve as a specially based late-game cleaner so Sub probably isn't necessary, though it's still an option if you want.

Anyway aside from that I think your team may still struggle somewhat with Ground-types seeing as Seismitoad and SpD Steelix beat so many members 1v1 (esp. If they're paired with Wish support or something) and Rhydon can be bothersome if it runs Megahorn since it has superb coverage and isn't OHKOed by anything but Sceptile. You could try Will-O-Wisp over Tbolt on Rotom since the extra residual is really nice for wearing them down and since you have so many ways of dealing with bulky Flyings + have hazards the extra power on Tbolt probably isn't necessary.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Will-O-Wisp on Rotom is necessary. That set is good, but it doesn't work here because this team is really offensive and can't afford to lose lots of momentum by locking into a status move.

Looking at the team, the whole idea is breaking down the opponent's defensive core and cleaning up with CM Slurpuff, but with a team pretty packed full of physical wallbreakers, I feel that BD Slurpuff would fit better for this team. Aside from being the better set most of the time, Slurpuff can take advantage of all the pressure that this team puts on its checks, including Ferroseed, Probopass, and Klinklang. It also only requires one turn of setup in order to be really threatening, whereas CM Slurpuff usually needs two or more boosts to KO even some offensive Pokemon because its coverage, while pretty good, is really weak.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry | Unburden
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly Nature
Play Rough / Return / Belly Drum / Substitute

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)