Electrode: Can do more than Explode

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/electrode

The Analysis says

Boom!

This the extent of Electrode's talents.
but I beg to differ.

Electrode is the 5th fastest pokemon overall; in OU the only thing that can outspeed it is Ninjask. It's special attack (80) is respectable and more importantly it has the advantage of surprise.

Electrode
Static
@ Focus Sash
~ Thunderbolt / HP Grass (a bit undecided...)
~ Mirror Coat
~ Magnet Rise
~ Explosion
208hp/160speed/140sp.atk
Naive Nature

Switch in on one of your casualties and then use Magnet Rise. If you are facing a special attacker then use mirror coat and OHKO them. If they are a physical attacker use Magnet Rise to dodge the EQ and then plug away with TBolt or Hidden Power, knowing that nothing they do can be supereffective. This thing almost always takes down two pokemon - one with standard attacks, one with explosion. The Sash allows it to switch in on physical attacks, paralyse the enemy and then do a quick KO.

Example 1:

Dragonite used Draco Meteor.
Electivire lost 72% of its health.
timw06's Electivire fainted.
Dragonite's special attack was harshly lowered.
---
timw06 switched in Electrode (lvl 100 Electrode).
Electrode lost 38% of its health.
Electrode used Mirror Coat.
Dragonite lost 69% of its health.
nantais44's Dragonite fainted.
---
nantais44 switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Electrode's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
Electrode used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 114% of its health.
nantais44's Gyarados fainted.

Example 2:

Pointed stones dug into Electrode.
Electrode lost 12% of its health.
Kingdra used Waterfall.
Electrode lost 74% of its health.
Kingdra is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Electrode's Static paralysed Kingdra!
---
A critical hit!
Kingdra lost 20% of its health.
lonedrifter20x's Kingdra fainted.
---
lonedrifter20x switched in Drapion (lvl 100 Drapion ?).
Pointed stones dug into Drapion.
Drapion lost 12% of its health.
Electrode used Explosion.
Drapion lost 63% of its health.

Example 3:

Bulky Blaster v3 used Counter.
But it failed!
Bulky Blaster v3's leftovers restored its health a little!
Bulky Blaster v3 restored 6% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Bulky Blaster v3 lost 55% of its health.
Bulky Blaster v3 used Mirror Coat.
Electrode lost 100% of its health.
Electrode hung on using its Focus Sash!
---
It's super effective!
Bulky Blaster v3 lost 45% of its health.
Destructor's Bulky Blaster v3 fainted.
---
Destructor switched in Bzzz! v1 (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Bzzz! v1.
Bzzz! v1 lost 6% of its health.
Bzzz! v1 lost 72% of its health.
Destructor's Bzzz! v1 fainted.
timw06 wins!

/Discuss

Electrode
Static
@ Focus Sash
~ Mirror Coat
~ Magnet Rise
~ Mirror Coat
208hp/160speed/140sp.atk
You must really like Mirror Coat...

Maybe

-TBolt
-HP Grass
-Magnet Rise
-Mirror coat

?

You have listed mirrorcoat twice, I think you forgot explosion...

But otherwise a nice set, wich I can see (and have already seen in your examples) to work.

What are you going to be switching in on that won't activate Focus Sash right away making Mirror Coat useless?By Bulky Blaster I think he meens Blastoise.What nature is this?I'd suggest Naive, Naughty or Rash.

Firstly, who the hell switches Gyara into Electrode?

If they are a physical attacker use Magnet Rise to dodge the EQ and then plug away with TBolt or Hidden Power, knowing that nothing they do can be supereffective.
Err...many physical attackers can OHKO Electrode with a fairly strong attack, and any physical attacker worth a damn can 2HKO it. And most of them will have more than one attack. In the absolute best scenario, you could magnet rise against a CB EQ and force your opponent to switch out, so it's uses are a bit limited. Magnet Rise might be good if Electrode could take hits effectively, but...it really can't.

Anyways, the strategy of Mirror Coat/Focus Sash isn't really anything new (well, Countersash isn't, but they're basically the same thing), but it's always a risk since opponents aren't always going to be completely predicable. Electrode's main advantage is that it's fast enough to explode against most things later, which is a decent selling point for a set like this. This set could be effective if played right, but it does rely on luck and is completely screwed over by any residual damage (since I see you're using it against Gyara, I'm assuming you're planning on using it in OU).

Also, as others noted, you put Mirror Coat twice, and didn't list a nature either.

It's special attack (80) is respectable and more importantly it has the advantage of surprise.

80 is not even close to respectable imo, SpA tends to be lower than Attack but base 80 is not even good in UU!

timw06 said:
Switch in on one of your casualties and then use Magnet Rise. If you are facing a special attacker then use mirror coat and OHKO them. If they are a physical attacker use Magnet Rise to dodge the EQ and then plug away with TBolt or Hidden Power, knowing that nothing they do can be supereffective. This thing almost always takes down two pokemon - one with standard attacks, one with explosion. The Sash allows it to switch in on physical attacks, paralyse the enemy and then do a quick KO.

I enjoy how you used the phrase 'almost always' because it's exactly what I was going to use - you are almost always not going to pull this off against a good team because there are far too many things that can potentially go wrong. The fact you want to send it in on a KO means that if Stealth Rock, Spikes, or Sandstream are up your sash is negated, as is often the case. Magent Rise is a gimmick move at best and dodging the Earthquake alone is hardly going to ensure victory considering Electrode's poor base 80 SpA plugging away on most physical sweepers with Thunderbolt is not even going to come close to dealing equal damage to the damage you are taking most of the time, especially since while Earthquake is probably the most popular physical attack most Physical Sweepers are carrying a STAB attack in addition that they will be perfectly happy to switch to while you are forced to use Electrode's terrible SpA. Electrode's defenses aren't exactly great either- the fact they aren't hitting for SE damage doesn't mean they aren't hitting you hard.

I think you're greatly overestimating Focus Sash + Mirror Coat too, like I said before especially for a Pokemon that isn't a lead you're banking on starting at 100% which really limits what you can do a lot(especially since you can't switch it in at all prior to a KO without burning the Sash). If I am essentially playing with 5 Pokemon until something dies so I can send out a revenge killer I'm going to use something a lot better than Electrode personally!

timw06 said:
Example 1:[/B]

It's super effective!
Yes, this is conclusive evidence that this set and Pokemon are being very underrated. I mean, an electric Pokemon OHKOing gyarados? That's unheard of! And successfully mirrorcoating a Dragonite that decided to stay in after the SpA drop from Draco Meteor? Amazing!

timw06 said:
Kingdra used Waterfall.
---
A critical hit!
---
Again, very impressive, you barely did over 50% with Explosion after switching into a waterfall and finishing off a Pokemon with 20% health. The last log was much of the same... I'm not sure what exactly you think this is proving.

This is a very, very gimmicky set.

You have listed mirrorcoat twice, I think you forgot explosion...
Yes, the second Mirror Coat is Explosion.

What nature is this?
I use naive.

Bulky Blaster was a Blastoise.

Teifu, while I admit it's gimmicky the reason for the low percentages from Explosion are because it KOd the pokemon and the Strict Damage Clause was on.

I was going to make sarcastic snide comments at how this is presented, then I was like "I can't do that, that'd be mean", but Synre said everything I had to say. I mean, if I want to use a Pokemon that can KO Gyarados with a STAB Thunderbolt and never do more than 50% damage before dying a horrible death I'd use Super Fang Pachirisu.

Personally I'm of opinion Electrode should run Magnet Rise/Light Screen, rise on a imminent EQ than put up some support. Its about the only thing it does decently outside of exploding. the stupid thing is it doesn't get Reflect.

The stats wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the fact Electrode has such a hideous movepool. Its borderline criminal, even Ampharos has more options.

Another issue IMO is that, you only have one other attack outside of Explosion. Should you use Thunderbolt, you are incredibly walled by Hippowdon, Gliscor, Donphan, Swampert, who all take next to nothing by your Explosion, since it comes from such a poor, poor, poor attack. Should you go with HPGrass, you have effectively just lost against GYARADOS and SKARMORY, the two things that should never ever switch into an Electric. But if you ditch one of the other moves for both attacking moves, then we'd just be listing standards.

yeah i only see potential in it for light screen. it could probably operate taunt and thunderwave very well as well.

If only Electrode's SpA was a bit higher...

About the only thing I don't like with this (and CounterSash tactics in general) is that you're relying on Focus Sash to activate, which in an environment filled with T-Tar and Hippo, SR, and Spikes, lessens your chance of getting it to work as the battle progresses. So granted, in an idea situation you'd be able to switch in, KO something with Mirror Coat, and then explode and weaken their switch-in, but it's just sort of unlikely to happen imo these days. I'm also sort of wondering why the large investment in HP EVs as well, since Focus Sash will save you ideally anyways and Electrode is rather frail to top that off.

Just out of curiosity...

Why is the pokemon that looks like a friggen bomb potentially the worst exploder in the game? At least give him Memento or something mildly useful like that... or double his base Atk >_>

http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/electrode

The Analysis says

but I beg to differ.

Electrode is the 5th fastest pokemon overall; in OU the only thing that can outspeed it is Ninjask. It's special attack (80) is respectable and more importantly it has the advantage of surprise.

Electrode
Static
@ Focus Sash
~ Mirror Coat
~ Magnet Rise
~ Explosion
208hp/160speed/140sp.atk
Naive Nature

Example 1:

Electivire lost 72% of its health.
timw06's Electivire fainted.
---
---
nantais44 switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Electrode's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 114% of its health.

Example 2:

Kingdra used Waterfall.
---
A critical hit!
---

Example 3:

Bulky Blaster v3 used Counter.
But it failed!
---
It's super effective!
Bulky Blaster v3 lost 55% of its health.
Bulky Blaster v3 used Mirror Coat.
Electrode lost 100% of its health.
Electrode hung on using its Focus Sash!
---
It's super effective!
Bulky Blaster v3 lost 45% of its health.
Destructor's Bulky Blaster v3 fainted.
---
Destructor switched in Bzzz! v1 (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Bzzz! v1.
Bzzz! v1 lost 6% of its health.
Bzzz! v1 lost 72% of its health.
Destructor's Bzzz! v1 fainted.
timw06 wins!

/Discuss
Looks like a battle tower set imo, but will definately work. Skarm is OHKOd by Thunderbolt, mirror cote takes down many threats, explosion gets blissey, good work.

Electrode@Focus Sash
Nature: Mild/Rash
EV: 252 Sp Attack/Speed
1. Charge
2. Thunderbolt
3. Explosion
4. HP Grass/Ice

I used it and it ownzzz. Use this as a lead. Charge up, then use Thunderbolt. Sash ensures you get to do what you want too. They sent in Blissey? Well, Explosion!

This makes sense but it is very limited like above posters have stated. I do lik the idea of it.

i_am_here's idea works really well I think too. Charge helps boost SpDef and powers up Thunderbolt to make up for the slightly below average SpAtk stat Electrode has. That, and a rare amount of people use Electrode, so the surprise effect is written all over it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd rather use a Life Orb set with Thunderbolt / HP Grass / Explosion / Magnet Rise probably. Charge Beam could work over Magnet Rise or Thunderbolt. But even so, he seems pretty limited with his Base 50 Attack and 80 Sp Attack. I guess Explosion could put dents on things, but it's nothing like, you know, Metagross or Lickilicky Explosions.

Your moveset works alright, I guess, but still, you're relying on your opponnent to use a Special Attack before you go out with a bang. I guess it works in some conditions like Empoleon and others that use nothing but Special Attacks (Specs sets come to mind, I guess), but some special attacers are mixed nowadays or have COMPLETELY versatile movesets. That is what is problematic, IMO, for something like Mirror Coat / Counter to work, and that's if you predict wrong. That, and the whole combo is ruined by Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock / Sandstorm / Hail. Guess which 4 are very common in OU? Exactly.

Not bad of a set, just seems a little too gimmicky in OU. In UU it could work with some
progress. >_>

[random] Odd, it learns Gyro Ball. Guess that's quite useless with his Speed though, sadly.[/random]

congratulations, u convinced me to use electrode. change hp evs into attack evs.
for the set, dont include magnet rise. use HP ice, explosion will ohko swampert with 208 attack evs.

and i love that sash mirror coat thing.

I really don't understand why people think countersash is such a great strategy when every team has sandstream, spikes, priority moves or some combination thereof.

The only thing truly worth focus sash + counter and/or mirror coat is a deoxsyf lead.

Also @ the original poster: if you're trying to make use of electrode in the OU environment.....I think it makes more sense if you switch in a ground pokemon before something like...uh gyarados? After that, electrode is explosionman

I'm sorry, but I think Electrode is among the worse Electric types. He only has speed going for him. His defences are bad, and his offenses are average at best, and even in the UU he can be taken down easily, or walled. The worst thing about him is he is predictable. Magnet Rise is not a big deal when he still dies easily to any STAB physical attack. If he is used with a sash, you better damn well have a spinner and weather changer.

I use an Electrode as my lead and with *some* success, because, in all honesty, as much as I like Electrode, he's still pitiful.

I use:
Electrode @ Life Orb
Naive
50 Atk/212 Spd/240 Sp.Atk

Substitute
HP Grass
Thunderbolt
Explosion

~The disadvantage to this set (well, one of them), is that the opponent *should* know at least two of your attacks to begin with.~

You usually want to start off with Sub, just to scout what they'll do. If they swap in Blissey, Tbolt twice and then go for the Explosion (usually works for me, but then again it's kind of obvious so it makes you wonder...). Subbing on a lead Yanmega's Protect is fun, now you can Tbolt and go for the OHKO, even with its Speed Boost (though Yanmega leads aren't *all* that popular). If a Hippo or Swampert wants to set up SR, it's a 2HKO if they stay in (exception with Hippo, it's not guaranteed) and for some reason, people leave Swampert in AFTER they already ate one HP Grass for 70%+ damage. NEVER Tbolt a Gyarados for fear of Electivire, use HP Grass.

Calculations
HP Grass vs. Blissey Damage: 8.14% - 9.59%
Thunderbolt vs. Blissey Damage: 16.57% - 19.48%
Explosion vs. Blissey Damage: 78.49% - 92.30%

(Physical)
HP Grass vs. Swampert Damage: 71.85% - 84.46%
Explosion vs. Swampert Damage: 57.43% - 67.57%

HP Grass vs. Hippowdon Damage: 45.00% - 52.86%
Explosion vs. Hippowdon Damage: 46.19% - 54.29%

(Standard Chomp, no HP EVs)
HP Grass vs. Garchomp Damage: 23.25% - 27.17%
Explosion vs. Garchomp Damage: 87.39% - 103.08%

(Physical Defense Cress)
HP Grass vs. Cresselia Damage: 13.06% - 15.32%
Thunderbolt vs. Cresselia Damage: 26.35% - 31.08%
Explosion vs. Cresselia Damage: 43.24% - 50.68%

(CM Cress)
Explosion vs. Cresselia Damage: 53.15% - 62.61%

(Standard)
HP Grass vs. Electivire Damage: 28.42% - 33.22%
Explosion vs. Electivire Damage: 141.78% - 166.78%

(Mix - Lonely)
Explosion vs. Electivire Damage: 164.73% - 193.84%

(Non-DDance Mence)
HP Grass vs. Salamence Damage: 6.65% - 7.85%
Thunderbolt vs. Salamence Damage: 52.87% - 62.24%
Explosion vs. Salamence Damage: 72.81% - 85.80%

(CB Tar)
HP Grass vs. Tyranitar Damage: 27.53% - 32.30%
Thunderbolt vs. Tyranitar Damage: 27.81% - 32.58%
Explosion vs. Tyranitar Damage: 38.76% - 45.79%

(TyraniBoah)
HP Grass vs. Tyranitar Damage: 24.26% - 28.47%
Thunderbolt vs. Tyranitar Damage: 24.50% - 28.71%
Explosion vs. Tyranitar Damage: 34.16% - 40.35%

There are some "counters." At least it's some calculations. As you can see, Electrode *can* 2HKO quite a few things. With SR, even more. It's not the best, but, what all can you expect from Electrode?

EDIT: It's hard to read the damage calculations, and I apologize for that. I do not know how to properly space them.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does no one realize Electrode has the fastest Taunt in the game?

Starter Trode:

Taunt
Thunderbolt
(support move of choice)
Explosion

Taunts SR leads, takes out Gyara with Tbolt, or it can setup something like Light Screen or Rain Dance, or use Toxic or Thunder Wave. You could even forego the BOOM for a second support move. This is highly annoying if your opponent has one of those BP teams or starts with, say, Bronzong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)