Electric terrain offence, would like tips on how to modify certain pokemon to be able to handle pokemon and teams of the current meta

With sun being the dominant weather this generation thanks to past paradox pokemon having the ability protosynthesis, I decided to try using an electric terrain team to take advantage of quark drive, which really only gets activated through booster energy on most teams. The team consists of 3 sweepers, and 2 bulky pokemon that can also serve as a pivot to help position the sweepers and check meta offensive threats. I would like some tips on modifications for the team so that I could try laddering with it. Thanks in advance.

Pincurchin @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic Spikes

Pincurchin was an easy pick for the team, with it being the only electric surge pokemon available so far this generation. I ran terrain extender so I could get as many electric terrain turns to try and take advantage of as possible, and otherwise I used a utility moveset with spikes, toxic spikes, and thunder wave. Pincurchin is a pretty underwhelming pokemon otherwise, which is why I went for a utility set. Discharge is boosted to 104 base power in terrain, and has a paralyse chance on top of that. It also hits Dondozo super effectively, who with unaware can be a problem for my sweepers. I ran tera ghost to block rapid spin to keep spikes and toxic spikes up, but I rarely intend for this to be used as I would rather save the tera for another offensive or defensive pokemon.

Sneasler @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Dire Claw
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

Sneasler was one of the first pokemon to come to mind, as an unburden sweeper who can take advantage of electric terrain + electric seed, rather than needing to burn a move slot on fake out + normal gem. After a swords dance, sneasler has immense power due to being able to run adamant since jolly is not needed after an unburden boost. It is a fantastic late game sweeper who can run through an entire team assuming it's few checks have been weakened by other pokemon. Tera flying boosts acrobatics, allowing sneasler to easily break through great tusk and amoonguss. Tera flying also helps snealser set up a swords dance on an incoming great tusk earthquake or any other super effective move that would otherwise one hit ko. Electric terrain also defends sneasler from spore amoonguss (assuming you have not yet used tera flying), and sneasler was intended to be the main abuser of tera on the team.

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dondozo is one of the premier walls in the OU tier, and it is intended to sponge hits for the other sweepers on the team, allowing them to conserve their hp and be brought in later. With unaware, Dondozo can shut down prominent swords dance and dragon dance users such as Dragapult, Baxcalibur, Dragonite, and Kingambit, whose sucker punch can be a problem for a weakened sneasler and Iron moth. It can retaliate with a strong body press, and has liquidation as a primary STAB move to deal damage. Rest and sleep talk is an emergency fall back, and curse might be a better option as rest cannot activate in electric terrain. This does often lead to dondozo getting worn down quickly. Tera grass allows it to aborb hits from Sandy Shocks and Breloom.

Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Iron Moth was the first of the quark drive sweepers. Not requiring booster energy allows Iron Moth to switch in again and again, and always keep the special attack boost. Heavy-Duty boots saves Iron Moth 25% of it's hp each time it switches in, allowing to live one future sight from slowking galar and an unboosted kowtow kleave from kingambit. Agility allows Iron Moth to boost its speed, and fiery dance is a STAB move with decent base power and can also raise special attack, which can lead to an Iron Moth sweep. Tera grass helps Iron Moth take on Great Tusk's earthquake, and retaliate with STAB energy ball. Energy ball also hits Dondozo well, especially since the special attack boost from quark drive bypasses unaware.

Iron Valiant @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Close Combat
- Psyshock

Iron Valiant is a fantastic sweeper in electric terrain with it's mixed moveset. With electric terrain granting Iron Valiant it's speed boost, booster energy is not required meaning Iron Valiant can benefit from the added damage of life orb. It can also switch in repeatedly and recieve the speed boost each time. Moonblast is the main damaging more for Iron Valiant, and the addition of close combat makes it very tricky to switch into, as even without any attack EV's it can easily break through specially defensive garganacl. Thunderbolt is great coverage to hit pokemon like Corviknight and Enamorus and it's base power is further boosted by the electric terrain. Psyshock is used to chip down special tanks who resist close combat, namely slowking-galar. I used tera fairy to get extra power on moonblast, but tera electric is another good option to get both a stab and terrain boost on thunderbolt.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down

To round out the team, I opted to use Landorus-Therian. Landorus is the stealth rock user for the team, which can chip down defensive pokemon and also deals important damage to choice scarf or choice specs Enamorus to put it in range of Iron Moth. I decided to run a specially defensive set as it synergises well with physically defensive dondozo, whose water typing also pairs well with Landorus. The special defence EV's combined with the move smack down allow Landorus to 1v1 Zapdos. Landorus only has 8 speed EV's giving it a slow U-turn meaning it can absorb a hit and then pivot into a sweeper. Tera water is used to match up well against Baxcalibur and the plethora of water types that roam the OU tier.

nice team, although i wanted to say that when i used a sneasler set, i used shadow claw > dire claw, and used tera ghost. It helped take out a lot of walls like glowking and a couple of other things, just thought I'd mention it and see if it would potentially help

FFK

Foufakirby-san ~~ FFK
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey!

Your team is solid! However, there are some structure issues :

:dondozo: ——> :iron-leaves: / :Iron-Hands:

I know it’s pretty difficult to deal with Kingambit Tera Blast Fairy :Kingambit: and Ogerpon-Fire :ogerpon-hearthflame: but Electric Terrain is a kind of Offense, Dondozo :dondozo: is a very Defensive mon that break the synergy of your team (you are still weak to special attack anyway). Then, you’ll need terrain abusers such as Iron-Leaves :Iron-Leaves: which is a very popular mon in Electric Terrain ; even if this archetype is very bad this gen (especially post-dlc) as there isn’t Tapu Koko :Tapu-Koko:.
So, Iron-Leaves :iron-leaves: and Iron-Hands :Iron-Hands: are good examples even if I think Iron-Hands :Iron-Hands: is better in this team to help against Kingambit :kingambit: and Ogerpon-Hearthflame :Ogerpon-Hearthflame:

Iron Hands @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
(this set is quite outdated but ehh, you are playing Electric Terrain Post-DLC)

Iron Leaves @ Booster Energy / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tera Blast
- Leaf Blade
- Psyblade

+1 252 Atk Hearthflame Mask Tera Fire Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 348-410 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Hearthflame Mask Mold Breaker Ogerpon-Hearthflame Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 418-492 (93 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 328-387 (108.9 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

—————————————

:landorus-therian: ——> :Iron-Treads:

Same as Dondozo :dondozo:, Landorus-T :landorus-therian: breaks the synergy of your team. Iron-Treads :Iron-Treads: is a very good pivot and rocker thanks to Volt Switch and its ability Quark Drive that boost its Spe and its okay Defensive typing that help against Enamorus :Enamorus: (even if you’ll have to make predictions) Zapdos :Zapdos: Glowking :slowking-galar: ect…

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Ice Spinner
- Knock Off / Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

—————————————

:Iron-Valiant:

I don’t really like Close Combat as you have many other ways to deal with Kingambit :Kingambit: Calm Mind is definitely better to help against common Special walls such as Glowking :slowking-galar:
Close Combat is a good option to deal with Stall, especially Clodsire :Clodsire: Tera Steel but I have some tips to destroy it.

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 412-486 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 218-257 (33.4 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (if you can kill with Moonblast, do it to prevent Tera Dark or a switch, don’t worry about the Set as Psyshock kills at +1 if it’s not the full def Set)
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 862-1014 (120.7 - 142%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Unaware Clodsire: 416-491 (89.8 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

—————————————

:Iron-Moth:

Heavy-Duty-Boots is a good option but you have a spinner now (:Iron-Treads:), what do you think about Life Orb as it kills Ogerpon-Hearthflame after SR (even if it resist if it Tera Fire) ?

252 SpA Life Orb Quark Drive Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 242-286 (80.3 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

—————————————

Tips to beat :Blissey: Stall :Dondozo: :

- Setup Electric Terrain and Stealth Rock
- Switch to Iron-Hands :iron-hands: and SD
- Your Opponent will be obliged to tera Dondozo :dondozo: or Alomomola :Alomomola:
- Safe Switch to Iron-Valiant :Iron-Valiant: and CM
- Sweep as a potent Clodsire :Clodsire: or Toxapex :Toxapex: can’t Tera anymore.

—————————————

:Sneasler:

It’s not necessary, but you can try Shadow Claw to deal with Glowking :slowking-galar: but up to you to change it or not

+2 252+ Atk Sneasler Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking-Galar: 402-474 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
—————————————

If you find that you have too many Ground Weaknesses, you can swap Sneasler :Sneasler: or Iron-Moth :Iron-moth: with Iron-Jugulis :Iron-jugulis:

POKEPAST : https://pokepast.es/48a9348401dc1272

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)