Monotype Egotistic

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
--
:ss/ribombee::ss/ninetales-alola::ss/grimmsnarl::ss/mimikyu::ss/hatterene::ss/clefable:
--
I wanted to share a SS Monotype team I've been having fun with that has some cool tech to beat its typical weaknesses. SS Fairy isn't considered to be anywhere as good as SM Fairy, where the type had huge threats like Tapu Koko, Mega Diancie, and Tapu Bulu, as well as Klefki's amazing team support. However, while Fairy did lose a lot of things in the transition to SS, a lot of types also did, and despite this, I think that Fairy is a pretty underrated type in SS, being able to cover a lot of matchups, even Steel, contrary to what many people think. It's kind of ironic because I'm personally more comfortable with SS Fairy over SM, even when Fairy lost a lot of options in SS. This team is centered around Mimikyu, Grimmsnarl, and Hatterene as sweepers and wincons, with Pokemon outlining the team to support them. Without further ado, let's get into the team!

Teambuilding Process
--
This team was originally something I built for Monotype BLT because I felt like bringing something different and Fairy was something not a lot of people use in tournament scene. Additionally, I wanted to test out the newly released Alolan Ninetales. I started with Ribombee for Sticky Web because they're generally pretty nice in offense meta.

Then I added Alolan Ninetales for Aurora Veil support. Grimmsnarl was another Pokemon I felt like including because it beats Steel pretty well.

Mimikyu's ability to blanket check Pokemon in offense meta is a valuable trait, hence why it's extremely crucial on Fairy teams right now.

I wanted something for Fire and Ground, so I decided to include CM Primarina. CM Hatterene with Aurora Veil support is also pretty deadly, so I added that too.

From then on, I kind of played around with adding and playing around with other options like Clefable, Togekiss and Gardevoir, until I finally settled on the six I have now. I ended up using a previous version of the team in Monotype BLT, which then made me realize how Ferrothorn weak the team was, so I decided to swap Primarina for Clefable which can set up Stealth Rock as well as beat Steel types like Ferrothorn easily with Flamethrower. I decided I was satisfied after that and the team was pretty easy to use and covered a lot of matchups.

The Team
--

:ss/ribombee:

Ribombee @

Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stun Spore
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz / U-turn

Pretty standard Ribombee here, Sticky Webs HO Fairy is now better in SS than SM because of the metagame's offensive nature. Being able to allow other Pokemon outspeed a variety of threats is really nice, which I will get more into later. Stun Spore lets you cripple Pokemon such as Excadrill, Gengar, and Jirachi, slowing them down and letting your team break through them easier. Focus Sash is the best item for Ribombee, considering it lets it gets up Sticky Web up pretty reliably. Last slot can go to Bug Buzz to hit Celebi or U-turn to pivot out of Hatterene against Fairy and Psychic teams which would otherwise prevent Sticky Web from being set. Shield Dust is nice for avoiding flinches from attacks like Jirachi and Excadrill's Iron Head as well as Togekiss's Air Slash.
--

:ss/ninetales-alola:
Ninetales-Alola @

Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Grudge
- Aurora Veil

Alolan Ninetales is a blessing for Fairy teams in SS, and has turned out to be better than people thought it was initially after release because of its amazing ability to support setup really well in an offense oriented metagame. I decided to use Choice Scarf on this team because Choice Scarf Alolan Ninetales is pretty nice for the Speed tier as the main form of Speed control. Unlike Gardevoir, Alolan Ninetales can outspeed Pokemon like Choice Scarf Charizard, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Choice Scarf Terrakion for the Fairy team, which are all huge threats otherwise. It's also particularly good for outspeeding Kyurem-B after a Dragon Dance, forcing it to get to at least +2 to sweep the team. Freeze Dry is really nice for spamming against Water-types and Water teams in general, and nothing switches in with Clefable's Stealth Rock up as Toxapex gets 2HKO'd. Grudge is nice tech to take advantage of Alolan Ninetales's really good Speed tier, draining moves like Excadrill and Jirachi's Iron Head, Charizard's Flamethrower, Duraludon’s Flash Cannon, and many others, which supports Hatterene, Mimikyu and Grimmsnarl by using these Pokemon as setup fodder. Since the item of choice is Choice Scarf over Light Clay, Aurora Veil is less reliable, but can be still used on forced switches and certain situations to help set up even further. Snow Warning is nice for resetting weather against types like Water, Fire, and Ground, and lessens the need for Choice Scarf Trace Gardevoir too.
--

:ss/grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl (M) @

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Darkest Lariat

I didn't like Grimmsnarl at the beginning of SS until I found out how well it could beat Steel teams with Drain Punch and Sucker Punch along with Darkest Lariat to take on Corviknight and Bulk Up to set up. Alolan Ninetales's Grudge comes into play here, being able to use Grudge on Choice Specs Aegislash, Duraludon and Excadrill in the Steel matchup in order for Grimmsnarl to use these Choice-locked Pokemon as setup fodder. Ribombee's Sticky Web also comes into play here, letting it outspeed Bisharp in the Steel matchup as well as Pokemon in other matchups like Indeedee, Diggersby, and Mimikyu. With Sticky Web, Grimmsnarl no longer has to run Jolly to outspeed Bisharp and can instead use Adamant to have stronger Sucker Punches. Drain Punch is nice for healing against Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Snorlax, Bisharp, and Lucario. Leftovers prevents Grimmsnarl from being chipped as easily especially with Alolan Ninetales's Snow Warning in question. Since Steel is otherwise a terrible matchup for Fairy teams, I think Grimmsnarl is an excellent option right now to combat that weakness. It’s also good in a lot of other matchups, as a setup sweeper with strong priority.
--

:ss/mimikyu:
Mimikyu @

Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Pretty standard Mimikyu too, Play Rough can be exchanged for other options like Wood Hammer for Ground in particular, although having Fairy STAB on a Fairy team is still nice for doubling up on Dark and Dragon as well as OHKOing male Indeedee. Hitting Kyurem-B is also huge, considering it's a huge threat to Fairy teams and can easily rip them apart if set up. Ribombee's Sticky Web allow Mimikyu to outpace Pokemon such as Choice Scarf users like Indeedee, Galarian Darmanitan, Duraludon and Gardevoir, as well as Mew. Disguise is generally excellent for blanket checking various threats in an offense based metagame, so naturally Mimikyu finds its way onto the team here. It also works nicely with Grimmsnarl as an offensive core with priority, often breaking down shared checks and working together to beat types like Psychic and Ghost with their STAB.
--

:ss/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @

Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Draining Kiss
- Trick Room

Hatterene is an amazing Pokemon on Fairy teams because of Magic Bounce and its ability to reverse sweep with Trick Room. Magic Bounce is Fairy's main way to prevent hazards as a type that's especially prone to being crippled by them. Stealth Rock chips Alolan Ninetales down, Spikes wear down Grimmsnarl in the Steel matchup, Sticky Web is bad in general because it slows everything down, and Toxic Spikes cripples everything bar Clefable. Calm Mind Trick Room Hatterene is a set I've been really into as of recently, especially with Alolan Ninetales's support. Using Grudge to take away Jirachi's Iron Head in the Psychic matchup is particularly great for Hatterene as it can sweep pretty easily unless there's another Calm Mind user like Hatterene and Necrozma, but Mimikyu and Grimmsnarl take care of those well. Otherwise, a lot of people leave their defensive Pokemon in expecting offensive Trick Room, or Calm Mind 3 attacks, which you can use to your advantage to set up. After a few boosts, Draining Kiss's healing is absurd, often healing a good option of Hatterene's health against common Pokemon like Gardevoir, Snorlax, and Mamoswine due to Hatterene's naturally low base HP. Trick Room makes Hatterene a lot harder to revenge kill, as it means Pokemon like Dracovish, Gengar, and Obstagoon now get outsped. Leftovers are again pretty good here for passive recovery against Alolan Ninetales's Snow Warning. Whether to use Calm Mind, Trick Room, or set up with both is situation dependent, but it's a pretty great wincon regardless especially when you can pull off both.
--

:ss/clefable:
Clefable @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

- Psychic

Clefable's the final member of the team, and I think it fits well because of Stealth Rock as well as its strong presence as an early-game wallbreaker. Stealth Rock is really nice for this team and Alolan Ninetales in particular as it breaks Cloyster's Focus Sash as well as chips down Toxapex so neither can really reliably check Alolan Ninetales in the Water matchup. A lot of Fairy teams run Mystical Fire on Hatterene, which can deal with Ferrothorn pretty well. Since Hatterene lacks it on this team, I thought that having Clefable for Flamethrower would also be good for dealing with Ferrothorn against Grass as well as checking Bulk Up Corviknight with Snow Warning from Alolan Ninetales negating Leftovers recovery. Psychic is the preferred last slot on Clefable, as it hits Poison-type Pokemon like Toxapex, Gengar and Galarian Weezing nicely. Toxapex is obviously huge, while hitting Galarian Weezing means it can't Defog away Sticky Web and Stealth Rock reliably when facing Poison. Moonblast is generally good move for neutral Pokemon hard like Drapion that try to switch into Psychic, Hippowdon, Mamoswine. It's also good for making Dark and Dragon more reliable, especially when Moonblast prevents Kyurem-B from setting up against Clefable for free. I personally feel like while Stealth Rock are of course worse in SS than SM because of Heavy Duty Boots, they are still pretty nice in an offensive metagame for chipping down everything else. Clefable's EVs creep Adamant Crawdaunt with the additional benefit of outspeeding Corviknight. When Sticky Web are set, Clefable can outspeed and beat Pokemon like Bisharp and Mamoswine nicely.

Threatlist
--

Fire teams are generally pretty tough for Fairy teams to deal with due to the lack of a Fire resist which leaves the type open to Charizard under in particular. Cinderace can also swap around hazards with Court Change while Torkoal can use Rapid Spin pretty easily as it 1v1s Mimikyu. However, if the opponent decides to set Stealth Rock as well, they can't remove them with Cinderace's Court Change if Clefable sets them, leading to a lot of Fire teams falling apart due to their shared Stealth Rock weakness. Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, and Mimikyu can all put in work mid-late game with Trick Room and priority respectively after things have been chipped. Grudge Alolan Ninetales can also outspeed and disable Choice Scarf Charizard's Flamethrower and Cinderace's Pyro Ball, allowing Pokemon to use them as setup fodder.

Without Choice Scarf Gardevoir, Ground teams can be more of an issue to deal with because of Excadrill. Hippowdon also cancels out Alolan Ninetales's Snow Warning, preventing it from setting Aurora Veil. Clefable's pretty nice in this matchup, as it serve as an effective early game wallbreaker with Life Orb, and pressure defensive Pokemon like Hippowdon and Gastrodon. If you're lucky and the opponent's feeling risky, Flamethrower also OHKOs Excadrill if it tries to switch into Life Orb Moonblast. With Sticky Web up, Clefable also outspeeds and beats Mamoswine with minor chip. Grimmsnarl, Mimikyu, and Alolan Ninetales can put in work pretty well after you chip down the opposing team with Clefable. Late game priority spam is great against a lot of types including Ground, while Hatterene can sweep if Excadrill is chipped or KO'd.

Hazard setters can be fatal for Fairy teams if not played around correctly. Like I mentioned before, Toxic Spikes cripple everything but Clefable, Sticky Web slows everything down and leaves the team bar Hatterene at a disadvantage in an offense filled metagame. Ferrothorn gets a mention too because of its ability to set Spikes, chipping down Grimmsnarl against Steel and having Steel STAB on Grass teams which make it more of a headache to deal with. Hatterene is pretty great against Toxapex and Runerigus as Toxic Spikes setters and Ribombee, Shuckle and Galvantula to prevent Sticky Web. However, it does struggle against Araquanid who hits it for a lot of damage with Liquidation and Ferrothorn as it doesn't carry Mystical Fire on this team. Should be noted that Hatterene is also nice against types like Electric, Water, Rock and Fairy where it can reverse sweep with Trick Room even if Sticky Web are set. Clefable OHKOs Ferrothorn with Flamethrower and threatens everything else on both of the types its on. Defog can be used on Ribombee as the last move if you really hate Drapion, but otherwise I wouldn't consider it.

Jirachi is particularly terrible to deal with as Fairy because of the lack of Klefki this generation. Choice Scarf Jirachi clicks Iron Head over and over again with Psychic Terrain disabling Mimikyu and Grimmsnarl's priority. Try to surprise it with Alolan Ninetales's Grudge, as losing Iron Head makes Jirachi more or less useless against Fairy outside of using Healing Wish and Trick.

A huge threat in the metagame at the moment, Kyurem-B can beat a lot of types with Dragon Dance coupled with support if played well. Heavy Duty Boots can ignore Sticky Web and Stealth Rock, making it a lot more reliable against Fairy with Aurora Veil and screens support from Pokemon like Duraludon and Alolan Ninetales on either type. Try to not let it get up Dragon Dances for free, as every Pokemon has some way to hit it for super effective damage on this team. Choice Scarf Ninetales can also outspeed it after +1, and defensive Hatterene can "slow" it down with Trick Room. If Kyurem-B lacks Heavy Duty Boots, it makes it a lot less of a threat to deal with as it is suspectable to Clefable's Stealth Rock and Ribombee's Sticky Web.

Conclusion
--
This team was originally something I made for fun in Monotype BLT, but I've really grown to like it after toying around with it more and swapping things here and there. Fairy is a type that I think is pretty underrated right now, so I'd like for it to see more usage. In Monotype, consistency is key, and Fairy can usually match up with a lot of types evenly, even Steel and Poison can be very beatable, despite them being Fairy's natural weaknesses. Choice Scarf Grudge Alolan Ninetales was originally from Rimefang's SM Ice team, but I decided to include it here since it seems very useful here too for Speed control and disabling crucial moves on setup spam. As the DLCs come closer, it's interesting to see how SS Monotype will continue both metagame and community wise.

Replays
--
I don't really have a lot of notable tournament success with this team unfortunately as I haven't used it in too many, outside of me winning some matches with some previous versions, despite the current version being the most consistent one at the moment:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1101046774
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1098981212 (made primarina -> clefable change; almost lost the game because of ferrothorn weakness)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1105844189-lkix2etipuicpe1nbmw3ok2yz7vxzndpw (made wood hammer -> play rough change on mimikyu; lost the game because of wood hammer not being able to ohko indeedee while play rough could)

While I have used the team a lot with success, sadly I haven’t saved many replays of it, so here’s what I have. I'll include more if I find more/play more games with it. I also got reqs for Kyurem-B's suspect, where I used the team at least 30 out of 45 games to climb ladder, which shows a level of consistency too.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1109479322
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1106487144

Shoutouts
--
Shoutouts to Monotype community / Crew / PS Staff for generally being full of great people, and to friends like Ticken maroon TPP, Perish Song, curiosity, lyd, Caspell, and Jolly Togekiss ^-^ who I talk to every day in particular. Not gonna do a lot of individual shoutouts like last time, but there are a lot of names outside of these people who make my experience on Smogon / PS nice.

--
Importable
--

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz / U-turn

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Grudge
- Aurora Veil

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Darkest Lariat

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Draining Kiss
- Trick Room

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

--

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Decembo, nice team. I've been messing around with Fairy lately too and think it's great cause it matches up well against a bunch of common types like Psychic, Ghost, Water, Dragon, Dark, while also standing a chance against Steel with some techs. I really only got one suggestion which I use on my team and think it's great.

Grimmsnarl

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

I use Babiri Berry to make Grimmsnarl even better in the Steel match-up and enough EVs in Speed to outpace Jolly Bisharp after Sticky Web. The Scarf Grudge set on Alolan Ninetales is becoming known among decent players who are in touch with the meta and they can easily scout it since Alolan Ninetales doesn't threaten anything on Steel with its attacking moves as seen in my seasonal game from yesterday. Babiri Berry gives you insurance if something like this happens and allows you to set up on something like Excadrill. Personally I like bulk on Grimmsnarl and feel like max Speed isn't too necessary because of Prankster Bulk Up and Sucker Punch, only relevant thing I can think of is outspeeding Mew at -1 so it doesn't Will-O-Wisp but Sticky Web aren't guaranteed in that match-up anyway due to Hatterene / Xatu.

That's pretty much it. I haven't used Clefable since Home dropped but I'm kind of compelled to try it out again cause the description has some nice points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)