Resource Effective Lures in PU

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lures in PU

Approved by Dell
Idea taken from unfixable

Defining Lures:
Lures are Pokemon that use sets to draw in their usual counters and expose of them with surprise. This can also mean either KO'ing, weakening, or crippling them for a teammate to take them on more effectively. Lures are a tad uncommon, and some people just use flat out bad lures. A lure may be good for one thing, but sacrificing a key component is not a good lure. For example, running Magic Coat on Klinklang seems good in theory, bouncing back Taunts, Thunder Waves, and Will-O-Wisps; however, this means Klinklang can only use it once, effectively making it somewhat useless and easy to predict around. You end up being prone to being outplayed, making it more detrimental than beneficial. Lures should be able to consistently be as / more effective than their normal counterparts.

Bad Examples of Lures: Bad examples of lures are Pokemon that 'over-specialize' in what they do to try desperately to beat their checks / counters, bad lures' functions are better left to teammates, for the most part. To make things clearer, I'd like to quote doughboy, from the OU Lures thread:

A bad lure is one that is either overly specialized and / or lessens the amount of targets it can hit effectively in exchange for hitting a single target effectively. If you specialize your lure too much, it becomes a non threat to a larger amount of pokemon and only to the pokemon you are targeting. It will only be effective if the pokemon you are targeting is in the match, which is less likely to happen when you consider you might be going into a single battle for a tournament. Here is an example of a bad lure:

Jumpluff @ Apicot Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics

Natural Gift Jumpluff does seem a bit gimmicky, but upon looking further one can see that Natural Gift with an Apicot Berry becomes a base 100 power Ground-type attack which could be used to nail Zebstrika, Jumpluff's biggest counter. One average ladder player might think: "Hmm, sounds cool. I'll be innovative and use this!" as shown by this calc:

252 Atk Jumpluff Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 186-220 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Earthquake is the same power as Natural Gift Apicot Berry.)

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 76-90 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Also looking at this, you'll notice some flaws with this mindset. For one, you forgo running Sleep Powder, one of Jumpluff's biggest perks as to why it is so effective just to nail a counter that you can't even OHKO with Natural Gift. Second, Natural Gift only works one time, so it isn't worth giving up Sleep Powder's utility. Third, Natural Gift is illegal with Infiltrator, another perk of Jumpluff's as hitting foes through Substitutes and ignoring Reflect and Light Screen is a really nice thing to have. Now for a good example of a lure.

Good Examples of Lures:

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Courtesy of Anty, here's Zen Headbutt Carracosta! Zen Headbutt has seen less use with the banning of Throh, but it still allows Carracosta to lure in Poliwrath which would otherwise completly wall Carracosta without it:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 325-385 (84.6 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 455-538 (122.6 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Posting Format:
Pokemon Sprite
Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
-
-
-
-

Description goes here

Here are also some things to keep in mind when posting:
  • Does this Pokemon have to sacrifice anything important?
  • Does this Pokemon consistently perform its role?
  • Does this Pokemon gain anything important when using this moveset?
  • Could this method be better aided through teammates?
  • Can this Pokemon be as generally effective as standard counterparts?

Conundrum of Effective Lures:

Now get out there and test some lures!

Last edited:

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Random move that no one ever actually uses

This isn't the greatest example of a lure since it only works if the opponent doesn't calc the damage but it's a lure nonetheless as it lets you surprise things like Probopass that think you're Choice locked and then hit them with your coverage moves without having to predict or be locked into Superpower when you don't want to be, in exchange for quite a bit of power. For many teams the best way to handle Stoutland is pivoting around Superpower, and this set removes that as an option. You could also run something random like Thunder Wave / Substitute / Work Up in the last slot since you're not choice locked, but I don't have any experience with that.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have already made a long post about lures in the NP thread, but i might as well talk a bit more about them here. I think the most important part about a lure (other than ofc baiting in a specific counter) is that it does not take away from the sets purpose/the set has another purpose. That is a huge reason why i dislike that jumpluff set, sleep powder is too important in letting it set up, and is overall amazing utility (can prevent mightyena from sweeping you for example). Also IMO zeb isnt common enough for it to be worth it, the only reason why i would use it is if my team was very zebstrika weak.
e: ok, i just realised that was meant to be bad (sorta like myself xd)

This brings me onto my next point, supporting team mates by baiting pokes. I originally used that costa with an agility kingler, and despite the horrible type overlap, it managed to work. This is mainly because costa and kingler have two common counters (this was at a time before pluff and SPECS FLOATZEL); tangela and poliwrath. The premise was simple, costa could take out poliwrath (possibly sweep at the same time, but it is harder w/o waterfall), and kingler can knock off tangela/quillading, weaken grass types, and bait in pelipper for costa, even though it was problematic if the opp has both (i would sometimes have to set up twice with costa), it kind of worked (best monotype core tho).
Example of lure which helps team and doesnt necessarily lose its function:

Aurorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
This is a standard aurorus lure set, being able to 2HKO piloswine one switch in (47 - 55.4%), however loses the utility of stealth rocks. This isnt too problematic as it does not lose its role as another poke can run stealth rocks. Timid nature lures adamant pawniard to an extent, but most pawn should really be aware of timid auroras. Luring Piloswine can be nice for pokes like Zebstrika (who can 2HKO on switch ins after) and rp torterra.

The most unexplored type of lures are definitely berries. In my other post i talked about shuca/passho ninetales, and every one knows im a big fan of yache rp torterra (well in the sneasel metagame ;_;).
Beartic @ Chople Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
This is a set i personally use on rain to eliminate poli which is a major threat:
+2 252+ Atk Beartic Play Rough vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 400-472 (107.8 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Leafeon @ Occa / Yache Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail / Filler
Used to lure ninetales/sneasel (rip) or avalugg or something:
+2 252 Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 238-281 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sneasel: 420-495 (167.3 - 197.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Linoone @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb
- Switcheroo

Cool set GasQuake and me were playing around with some time ago. Unlike the most popular Belly Drum set, Choice Band Linoone hits decently hard right off the bat and can thus function as a nice revenge killer. What makes this an effective lure is Switcheroo. There is literally no Linoone counter / check that does not hate having a Choice Band, or at least none that I can think of. Probopass, Misdreavus, Haunter, Probopass, etc, they're all crippled by Switcheroo. No Belly Drum means no insane sweeps, but it also means you don't have to build a team around Linoone and got a nice revenge killer with actual use outside of drumming late game. You could use Jolly for non-Choice Scarf Haunter's but it's not like they're switching in anyway.

252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 181-214 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumpluff: 193-228 (66.3 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Simipour: 210-247 (71.9 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 210-247 (72.1 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 231-273 (88.5 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 192-226 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nothing amazing but good enough.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Dodrio @ Liechi Berry/Salac Berry
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off/Work Up
- Natural Gift

This Dodrio aims to lure and eliminate either Carracosta/Golem/Barbaracle/Relicanth or Probopass. Liechi Berry is a 100 BP grass-type move and Salac Berry is a 100 BP fighting-type move. Work Up is listed as an option because you can use it on the switch if you think the opponent will switch into their rock/steel type.

252 Atk Salac Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Liechi Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 228-270 (78.6 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Liechi Berry Dodrio Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 312-368 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
624.gif

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick/Psycho Cut

The moves lure the trapper/total counter in and shit on it. You lose SD, but from my experience using this that's not a huge blow anyway, it's nice to have but not 100% essential. Psycho cut only does like 30-40% to Poliwrath (200/0), but that's still a nice chunk that prevents it from countering pawniard and can remove it early for something to sweep like Carracosta

Jolly pawn is literally just cool for things like speed creeping missy/grumpig. It's kind of like jolly golem, they totally expect to outspeed you and then they just get bopped. You still have sucker punch mind games and this makes pawniard fairly weak, so I wouldnt recommend running this unless it's for a very specific purpose, the move change is much more useful.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry

One of the problems Piloswine has is that the popular Pelipper gets a free switch in against it and just removes the Stealth Rock Piloswine sets with Defog. Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash is that one move I never find myself using, so I have been using Freeze-Dry for a while now. This is a really nice lure for Pelipper, which is especially cool if you have teammates that struggle with it, such as Pawniard and Poliwrath. Outside of this one move change Piloswine is still the same old reliable tank, just without getting walled by Pelipper.

8- SpA Piloswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Pelipper: 244-292 (75.5 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Doesn't OHKO without prior damage but it does more than enough.
8- SpA Piloswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swanna: 268-316 (92 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO Also hits Swanna which could otherwise switch into Piloswine and threaten it out.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Sleep Powder

This Tangela is designed primarily to eliminate Pawniard by either switching directly in or baiting it in using Sludge Bomb or Giga Drain. Then you just hit Hidden Power to seal the deal. Hidden Power ground is an option to hit fire types, but I personally like fighting to OhKo Pawn and avoid Air Balloon Probopass. Seriously try this, it's really good.

I don't know if this is common or not, but i'll post it anyways.

upload_2015-4-18_18-41-41.png

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave / Tailwind / Taunt

Basically, with Hidden Power Fighting you are luring Probopass instead of Carracosta. While it may seem stupid to hit Probopass instead of Carracosta, Probopass was a nuisance to my dark spam core of Murkrow+Pawniard, so HP Fite was much needed to wear down Pawniard's counters. HP Fighting 2hko's Probopass after rocks (guaranteed if 'loon, 80% if lefties), which is cool, and the combination of HP Fighting+Sucker Punch can wear down Carracosta pretty well. Generally HP Grass is better, however if your team just happens to be very weak to Probopass, I would consider giving HP Fighting Murkrow a shot.

4 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock ('loon)

4 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 146-172 (48 - 56.5%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (lefties)

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
516.gif

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

Simipour trades being walled by Lickylicky and Munchlax (not very common and always wary of the switchin) for being able to hit Grumpig and Hypno, its best counters right now. Plus you can knock off Munchlax so unless they have spdef licky you lose almost nothing other than needing to hit hydro vs things like probo and pawn

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Synthesis
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Giga Drain / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Seeing this around nowadays, therefore just thought of posting it, as I also had the opportunity to try it in galbia's team. Hidden Power [Fighting] gives Roselia an effective way to hit and threaten Pokemon that often find themselves switching on it, examples are Steel-types such as Probopas and Pawniard, which get totally thrashed, with a surprise factor too, which doesn't have to get underestimated, especially in low-level games. A more offensive spread can be used, just posted this one as it is the most popular, it just depends on team necessities, same goes if you're asking yourself on what move fit Hidden Power Fighting.

Last edited:
so i posted this in the creative sets thread but it also acts as a lure so i figured i would post here as well

Armaldo @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Battle Armor / Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Natural Gift

So when you think of switches into Armaldo, what do you think of? Poliwrath! Machoke is one that comes to mind as well. What this set aims to do is lure these Pokemon because after a Swords Dance, it OHKOs both of them and outspeeds with a Jolly nature.

(I put Aerial Ace into the calc but changed the base power to 100, which is what Natural Gift + Lansat Berry does)

+2 252 Atk Armaldo Aerial Ace vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 442-522 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 58-69 (19.9 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO

+2 252 Atk Armaldo Aerial Ace vs. 160 HP / 52 Def Eviolite Machoke: 354-418 (103.8 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Machoke Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Armaldo: 80-96 (27.4 - 32.9%) -- Guaranteed 4HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)