Eelektross

who cares about nitro charge with base 50 speed? who cares about negative priority with speed that low? The fire/fighting have somewhat similar coverage so it comes down to metagross v tyraniter imo.

Are a bunch of you overlooking Coil? It raises Attack and Defense for crying out loud! Paired with levitate it could do some pretty decent tanking.

First off, this thing DOES NOT look like a pure electric w/levitate. For God's sake, his sprite has legs! I think GF meant for it to be Electric/Water, but accidentally made a typo somewhere and decided to just go with it.

That being said, Shibirudon is one of the things I'm looking foreword to most from this generation. The thing I love most about him is his movepool. It's not vast, but it's potent. You have no idea whether he's gonna T-Wave, U-Turn/Volt Change, or just start coiling up. I see this thing as being highly unpredictable this gen.

Problem I see with coil is that the only stab he gets for coil is wild bolt, and that does recoil. Brick break is too weak, and his other physicals suck, other than dragon tail which is pure utility.

Problem I see with coil is that the only stab he gets for coil is wild bolt, and that does recoil. Brick break is too weak, and his other physicals suck, other than dragon tail which is pure utility.
The thing is that Coil can be used in more than one way and gives it actually a way to use his mixed stats, so you don´t have to use Wild Bolt, but rather Thunder or Zap Cannon. Imo Brick Break isn´t too weak. It breaks shields and still does decent damage(especially with Coil) to take out Blissey/Snorlax in two hits or so(with the right EVs), so it is a decent weapon against stall.

I quite like this thing, so maybe I´ll try it out some time later. For now my planned team is already full.

First off, this thing DOES NOT look like a pure electric w/levitate. For God's sake, his sprite has legs! I think GF meant for it to be Electric/Water, but accidentally made a typo somewhere and decided to just go with it.
Just wanted to say the sprite looks to me like it only has arms. And even if it has legs, that hardly precludes the ability to levitate, as many pokemon with Levitate have legs.

As for not being a Water type, that is peculiar, but not unprecedented. Dratini and Dragonair were pure Dragon types despite obvious water affinities.

The in-game animation seems to show it levitating about an inch off the ground. I think they just felt like giving it no weaknesses in exchange for its otherwise average stats.

If it stays in UU, it'll be a good wallbreaker. I don't see it rising higher than BL personally, but it's a cool Pokemon nonetheless.

I don't doubt the viability of coil, I just thought shibirudon has neither the stats to stay in and tank, nor can it sweep. I thought that it would be a bulky scout with volt change and dragon tail. Now, it may definitely have the potential to tank, but 85 80 80 may not be a good base for atk defense boosts. Swampert has higher defenses and can't afford curse.

I think it has decent capabilities to be a (somewhat) bulky annoyer, with a movepool consisting of things like thunder wave, light screen, toxic, roar, protect and substitute. This is mostly because I think it's unlikely that it will have much of a niche in the standard metagame, and 85/80/80 ain't too bad in UU, especially with no weakness and light screen for sp.def.

Its Volt Change is also almost guaranteed to go second thanks to its lousy speed stat, so you can take a hit and then switch to a counter.

but in ou, 80 85 85 screams outclassed.
It is, stuff like Sazandora has better defenses (think HP is 90 not sure though) and it has better attacking capabilities and speed. When I saw this thin, found out it levitated, and wasn't part water, I was shocked. However, when I saw its base stats, I immediately thought Trick Room.

paradox may be that sazando has better defenses, but shiburudon has better attack and less weaknesses. But shiburudon has a sucky physical movepool while sazando's physical move pool is awesome.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This could make for an interesting pokemon on a team with Dugtrio/Magnezone.

Take the hit from the pokemon, do a little damage with Uturn/Volt Change and then switch to trap the pokemon. Scizor could do this role, but with Fire attacks being so common in the past (and they might be even more common in this gen due to doryuzuu [the mole] and sunny day teams), it wouldn't be as viable with shibirudon who boasts better overall defenses and a better movepool.

paradox may be that sazando has better defenses, but shiburudon has better attack and less weaknesses. But shiburudon has a sucky physical movepool while sazando's physical move pool is awesome.
What does it matter? Shiburudon wont make OU because of its abysmal base 50 speed. This would be ok if its defenses were stronger, but, because they're not, it wont make the cut. That is one of the hugest, and probably the most deciding, difference between the two. I was just tossing out a Gen V comparison, I'm sure there are others who are in a similar situation or at the other extreme.

Shibirudon can make OU, because it is much better suited to being a phazer and a general pivot due to its lack of weaknesses. While 85 80 80 may not be stellar, it's enough to force out pokes that rely on eq too much. It takes a strong stabbed move to ohko this fish, and if one switches wisely, it can be a good disruptor with its varied movepool.

Shibirudon can make OU, because it is much better suited to being a phazer and a general pivot due to its lack of weaknesses. While 85 80 80 may not be stellar, it's enough to force out pokes that rely on eq too much. It takes a strong stabbed move to ohko this fish, and if one switches wisely, it can be a good disruptor with its varied movepool.
Didn't think of it that way, but it sounds like it'll just end up like spiritomb, left behind in some lonely stone to rot away for thousands of years till one daring soul puts it on a stall team.

Just to illustrate to all of you power-hungry underestimaters:

Lucario's stats: 70 / 110 / 70 / 115 / 70 / 90

Shibirudon's stats: 85 / 115 / 80 / 105 / 80 / 50

Good lord people. Granted Lucario has access to Swords Dance and Extreme Speed which lands it in OU. But this pokemon also has an attack boosting move. I personally don't plan on seeing him as an OU sweeper, and there are many other pokemon who are better wallbreakers but stop being so damn dramatic.

Weak stats indeed. Get over yourself.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shiburodon has no weak.

Well, were it not that Moldbreaker was given out like candy this generation, Nonetheless there's nothing particularly bad about having resistances to Electric, Flying, and Steel with a Ground immunity. In fact that's actually a pretty good slate of resistances, seeing as nothing Metagross throws at it can hit it for SE damage, it resists its STAB, can boost its Defense, and is immune to it's most common coverage move.

I think the problem is the OP lacked data on a few specific moves:

A Lv. 49 Shibibiiru learns Acid Bomb, a 40 BP Poison move that lowers the opponent's special defense two stages. It's like a Metal Sound that has 100 Acc and can't be taunted.

Shibirudon's movepool in general is extensive, and it can try and spread paralysis around through a set something to the effect of Coil/Rock Slide/Spark (or Thunder)/Dragon Tail. I'd take a wait and see approach. It's not as if Shibirudon is lacking in coverage or offense.

Y'all seem to be complaining about his lack of bulk, but keep in mind he has NO weaknesses, and an incredible movepool. Granted his defenses aren't up to Swampert level, but with no weakness, he's not gonna go down so easily.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh yeah, his defenses are about as good as Machamp's, except Shibirudon has no weaknesses. Coil Zap Cannon is gonna be like the new No Guard Dynamic Punch. I'm betting that with this guy, Thunder is going to be flying all over the place. I just might have to get a mandatory Specs or Mold Breaker user if more people start to recognize this!

coil thunder is better imo than zap cannon because even with one coil, the accuracy is still not that reliable. if you're staying in, I think coil, thunder, brick break, and dragon tail/flamethrower is the way to go. If you wanna use him the way I tell you to, it'll be volt change, discharge, flamethrower, and dragon tail. sorry guys, his physical moves blow too much, though there is something to be said for 100% thunder w/o rain.

I had the idea of using Shibirudon as somewhat of a scout, but this was really only due to the novelty of having both Volt Change and U-Turn. From there just slap a scarf on him and see how it goes. It doesn't seem very practical admittedly, but Maybe Shibirudon could attempt at mixed Scarf set still?

Shibirudon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
EVs 124 Atk/132 SpAtk/252 Spe
Naive
-Wild Volt/Thunderbolt
-Crunch
-Flamethrower
-U-Turn/Volt Change

Adjusting EVs as needed is a given, but what do you guys think?

I think some of you don't understand this guy's potential.

He has very good stats and typing to be a good wall-breaker this gen. His movepool is also decently good, especially for an electric type.

The premier walls of this gen are probably going to be water types (Mamanbou, Vaporeon, etc ), Skarm/Bliss, a few ghosts (Desukan, etc.) and the new grass/steel. Shibirudon matches up very well with most of these.

If you can get him in against some of these walls, very few pokemon can switch in and OHKO this guy, especially with a coil under his belt. He can then strike back with considerable power (stab 91% acc Thunder, +1 attack) which a lot of these frailer sweepers can't survive.

This guy definately has some OU potential, and I'm not even mentioning the possibilities that a slow volt change gives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)