Dynamic Punch hax! Machamp Discussion

The only other thing on Machamp degraded into why doesn't X Pokemon have Y move, because it's Pokedex says it should..

Anyways Machamp is the First Gen pokemon that I thought got the coolest update, No Guard

Serebii dex entry: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/068.shtml

Traits:
Guts, and No Guard (all attacking moves have 100% accuracy)

Base Stats:
HP 90/ Attack 130/ Defense 80/ Sp. Attack 65/ Sp. Defense 85/ Speed 55

Now Machamp has some Decent HP, Sp Def, and Def... However he has terrible Speed and terrible Sp attack. Now his Physical attack is where he shines able to almost hit 400 max attack, with a beneficial nature.

Notable Moves (Stab in italics)

Special Movepool (WHY!?)
Hyper Beam
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Focus Blast

Physical Movepool
Revenge
Vital Throw
Submission
Wake-up Slap
Cross Chop
Dynamicpunch*
Focus Punch
Earthquake
Return
Brick Break
Rock Tomb
Facade
Payback
Giga impact
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Poison Jab
Counter
Close Combat
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Bullet Punch

Support Movepool:
Encore
Mditate
Light Screen
Substitute
Rest
Sleep Talk
Endure
Protect
Toxic
Foresight
Bulk Up

As you can see Machamp has a Pretty good Physical Movepool, and some nice support moves.
Where I think Machamp Really shines is it's ability to use Low accuracy moves to great effect. Dynamic Punch is almost a must 100 Base Power, with 100% confuse rate.
He is able to use Stone edge to good effect as well (I would take Stone edge of Rock Slide for that high Crit Rate)

Also, No guard lets you hit things that are flying/underground, so on wifi battle tower I find myself dynamic punching all those Staraptors in the air and killing them.

Movesets:

Bulk Up Set: I Think machamp just dies to quickly to use this set
No Guard Machamp @ Leftovers
Bulk Up
Dynamic Punch
Stone Edge/ Elemental Punch/ EQ
Light Screen/Protect/Rest

Sleep Talk Set
Machamp @ Life Orb
Giga Impact/ Dynamic Punch
Rest
Sleep Talk
filler (based on needed type coverage)

Crithax (I wouldn't advise this, but he can do it)
Machamp @ Razor Claw/Scope Lens
Cross-Chop
Stone Edge
Focus Energy/ Bulk Up
Filler

Machamps' biggest weakness is that he is easily walled due to the fact that the chance of him using special moves is almost nonexistant.

Anyways, I could use some help on what to do with this guy, I think his ability is just to cool to pass up on.

Machamp dies to any (and I do mean any) OHKO move when you use No Guard, and this needs to be watched (especially in the battle tower). More importantly, it means any of the strong attacks used by your opponent such as Hydro Pump, hit without fail and it means Machamp might be taking a lot more damage on average then it might normally take with Guts ability. I don't know what the calculations are on Skarmory with Machamp using Thunder Punch, but for No Guard Machamps, you may want to consider Fire Blast, since with No Guard it's 100% Acc.

I donno. Seems like No Guard is a very sharp double edged sword, and Guts might still be the right way to go.

I was banking on the fact that a majority of the meta game is focused around those higher accuracy lower attack moves, so what will end up happening is your five year old cousin might beat you, but that crazy friend of yours loses to your high power low attack moves.
Plus with the guranteed Confusion it makes things much more interesting.

Double edged sword it is, and I will probably never use a no guard machamp in the battle tower, those OHKO's hit enough as it is. I enjoy the fact that it is just so much different than most other pokemon though.

Agreed. Anything that differentiates a Pokemon from others with similar typing and stats is a good thing. I think that unless your opponent has a OHKO move, No Guard is advantageous, especially if you have DynamicPunch and Stone Edge.

What about a baton pass recipient setup? If you can pass Champ some speed, he becomes quite deadly, with hax punch and boltbeam punches, or a nevermissing stone edge, or earthquake... Surprisingly good type coverage, just needs some speed

He's not sturdy enough to do much setting up of his own, though.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You missed Bulk Up in the support section... Machamp is going to be pretty fun to use; imagine your opponent trying to guess whether it has Guts or No Guard and whether to WoW it with Dusknoir/Weezing. For the record, Giga Impact has been proven to still require recharge when Sleep Talked.

Machamp's the only thing I've EV trained so far (though its HP is not quite complete) besides a ninjask. I realize neither are great, probably, but the machamp (with quick claw, lol hax in battle tower) has worked pretty well so far. Mine has dynamicpunch, earthquake, stone edge, and ice punch (just picked one of them, and ice is a decent type...plus lol a few dragons if they show up and don't OHKO)

I did wonder about bulk up, but yeah, he's kind of fragile to set himself up.

Thus, I'm training the ninjask to see if I can hax the battle tower some more. It probably won't work, but that's how I learn I guess. :P

But YES, OHKO moves in the battle tower are to be watched out for. YES, stone edge vs. flying things is amusing.

And yes, no guard hits through protect SOMETIMES. I'm assuming it's 50% or something.

A Choice Scarf can actually help Machamp to outspeed 100 Base Speed Pokémon who have a Neutral Spd Nature (Salamence, Dodrio, etc) and also outspeeds Adamant Garchomp. It's a perfect boost for him, adding Dynamicpunch effect and elemental punches on its set will make him a very dangerous Scarfer.

However, Machamp can't switch-in in many attacks, and even switching in a Stone Edge will threaten it because of the CH Ratio =/.

My Likely Suggestion for Machamp...

Machamp@Life Orb
Dynamic Punch
Ice Punch (Hi Dragons)
Earthquake
Fire Blast (Hi Skarm)

Ice/Ground is basically Full Coverage (Bronzong Asside), and Fire Blast or DynamicPunch can handle him.

I would Run Brave Nature (you arent going to outspeed anything unless you run choice skarf) and Not sure on the EV spread I would need to see some Calculations on Fire Blast against things like Skarmory and Heracross. To even see if its viable.

if your running no-guard then you'll surely want to outpace blissy or weezing because getting statused (really so for getting burned) before you kill will suck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)