move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak
move 4: Fire Punch / Ice Punch
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set uses Dusknoir's immunities to easily switch in and Substitute, and then deal large damage to the opposition from Dusknoir's oft underestimated Attack stat and its impressive physical move pool. Focus Punch and Fire Punch hit Tyranitar (who can OHKO Dusknoir with CB Crunch) and Heracross (who appreciates a potential Burn from Will-O-Wisp), common switches into Dusknoir, for huge damage, actually OHKOing Tyranitar and nearly OHKOing Heracross.</p>

<p>Fire Punch versus Ice Punch depends on whether you want to beat Heracross, or take on Salamence. Since Heracross almost will never hesitate to switch in, Substitute + Fire Punch can be used to severely cripple it, as the Substitute will force the frequently Choiced Heracross to reveal its hand, and Fire Punch will nearly OHKO it. The choice between Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak is difficult. Despite Dusknoir not getting STAB on Sucker Punch, it is still more powerful than his Shadow Sneak. The added power allows you to OHKO opponents like Gengar and Alakazam, something Shadow Sneak will not do. However, Sucker Punch will fail if your opponent chooses not to attack you and has a mere maximum 8 PP. ThunderPunch can be considered as well, if you fear Gyarados setting up on you. Pain Split is also an option if you want to attempt to stall your opponent and can be useful to recover HP lost from creating your Substitutes.</p>

<p>323 Attack is reached to always OHKO 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey with Focus Punch and Stealth Rock, always 2HKO 252 HP / 216 Def Impish Forretress with Fire Punch and Stealth Rock, and always OHKO 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam with Sucker Punch. It finally allows you to take on Salamence, OHKOing 216 HP / 252 Def Bold Salamence with Ice Punch followed by Shadow Sneak, provided Stealth Rock is in play, before it gets the chance to Roost. The rest of the EVs go into Defense, to provide a bit of extra bulk. One could run 84 Speed EVs to outrun minimum Speed Blissey if you desire to put up a Substitute before Blissey can use Toxic against Dusknoir.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Toxicroak is hit for faux-SE damage with Fire Punch thanks to Dry Skin.

I've seen Will-o-wisp being used over Fire Punch; it's not like Heracross is a huge threat to Dusknoir anyway.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I still think Ice Punch is worthy of mention due to Salamence still being extremely dominant. With the current set, you can't really do much back to it. If you aren't going to slash it into the actual set, at least mention it in other options.

I still think Ice Punch is worthy of mention due to Salamence still being extremely dominant. With the current set, you can't really do much back to it. If you aren't going to slash it into the actual set, at least mention it in other options.
Ice Punch added as an option.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
its superior PP as well as, the ability to hit ghosts even if they don't attack makes it a decent alternative
The comma is misplaced. Should be...

its superior PP, as well as the ability to hit ghosts even if they don't attack, makes it a decent alternative
There also shouldn't be an ability tag in the heading because Dusknoir only has one ability.

With two immunities, 135 base defenses, and a good movepool, Dusknoir makes an excellent SubPuncher.
Added 2 commas.
Ice Punch is still worth a mention as it deals with Salamence, who would completely wall this set without it.
I tried to change that around, because it wasn't that clear to me.

Great job on the set.

Added 2 commas.
I tried to change that around, because it wasn't that clear to me.

Great job on the set.
Thanks.
For the Salamence/Ice Punch thing..it doesn't completely wall it without Ice Punch, just doesn't take much damage. It also fears a possible WoW, so I'll edit that sentence to make it more clear.

I personally don't see how this set could be run without Pain Split. One of the best advantages Dusknoir has as a SubPuncher apart from being a ghost, big defenses and ghost STAB is that after subbing so many times you can pain split off of your opponent to drain a mass of their HP after deliberately draining your own. Get hit for 70%, Substitute, get the Sub hit then score a ton of HP back with Pain Split.

Considering one of the best reasons to use a SubPuncher (especially a Ghost one) is Blissey, this set should defnitely run speed to outrun it before she can hit you with Toxic/Thunder Wave. 252 Attack, 164 HP, 84 Speed, 10 Sp. Defense is the spread I use yeilding optimal Leftovers recovery, 147 Speed and more than enough Sp. Defensive ability to survive a 104 Sp. Attack Blissey Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. I highly recommend.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ 100% agreeing with Anti here. Although Will-O-Wisp and Focus Punch will wear Blissey down (as well as physical sweepers), Pain Split is a great option behind the Substitute.

I personally don't see how this set could be run without Pain Split. One of the best advantages Dusknoir has as a SubPuncher apart from being a ghost, big defenses and ghost STAB is that after subbing so many times you can pain split off of your opponent to drain a mass of their HP after deliberately draining your own. Get hit for 70%, Substitute, get the Sub hit then score a ton of HP back with Pain Split.

Considering one of the best reasons to use a SubPuncher (especially a Ghost one) is Blissey, this set should defnitely run speed to outrun it before she can hit you with Toxic/Thunder Wave. 252 Attack, 164 HP, 84 Speed, 10 Sp. Defense is the spread I use yeilding optimal Leftovers recovery, 147 Speed and more than enough Sp. Defensive ability to survive a 104 Sp. Attack Blissey Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. I highly recommend.
I was considering on putting Pain Split, but since I was thinking of the punches and WoW I didn't. Anyway, I added it now and also added a sentence in the first paragraph for it.

For the EVs I edited them, if anyone feels they need to be changed and have a valid reason, notify me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)