Duck and Weave (An OU team)

I recently made this team when I was bored one day. I was bored with using suicide and weather leads. It was time to try something new. At first, I'm not sure if it would work, but it seems to be fine for the time being. Nevertheless, I think it could be better, so here it is:

AT A GLANCE:

MAIN OBJECTIVE
: Defensive switch-ins for offensive purposes.

CHANGES ARE IN RED.

LEAD:

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Brick Break

Scizor is extremely uncommon as a lead, but it really does work quite well. At first glance this looks like a regular BP Scizor, but I've modified it for my purposes.

248 HP is used for obvious reasons. Attack is maxed out to do as much damage as possible with Bullet Punch. Speed isn't really needed, since Scizor has both a priority move and a Sash.

On turn one, you either SD up or attack, depending on the opposing lead. An unboosted Bullet Punch 2HKO's both lead-Azelf and lead-Aerodactyl. It also pwns the less common Ninjask leads. Meanwhile, lead-Tar will take a lot of damage from either of the attacks. Scizor also takes no damage from Sandstorm, which helps it use its Sash. On the other hand, Swords Dance allows for longer-lasting sweeping and support. After 1 SD, Bullet Punch terrorizes most of the metagame. Baton Pass is there to pass the Swords Dance boosts to a teammate (like Mamoswine). Since Scizor is rather slow, the Sash allows it to survive a potential-KO attack before letting in a teammate unscathed.

How to cover attacks that are commonly thrown at it:

Fire:
Heatran switches in to get a Flash Fire boost. Dragonite also shrugs off these attacks with ease.

Fighting: Dragonite shrugs these off too.

Ground: Azelf and Dragonite are both immune to these attacks.

Pokemon that are commonly thrown at it:

Swampert and other
Bulky Pokemon: Sceptile owns Swampert with the threat of a OHKO with Grass Knot and resists both STAB's. Sceptile's SubSeeding also allows it to stall out many high-HP walls.

Gyarados: After 1 SD and Intimidate, Scizor's Bullet Punch 3HKO's DD Gyarados that don't pack Leftovers. This is usually good enough, as the turn sequence usually goes like this:

Bullet Punch, DD
Bullet Punch, Waterfall (Scizor survives with 1 HP)
Bullet Punch (KO)

If not, though, it will still dent it enough so that Mamoswine's Ice Shard can finish it. Sceptile's Leech Seed can also help you stall it out by sapping its HP.

SUPPORT:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP/44 Spe/216 SpD
Careful nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Claw

Dragonite serves as the cleric and defensive-MVP of this team. It also works excellently with Mamoswine and Heatran. Most of this team hates status, so Heal Bell is a huge asset. It is so fun to watch as the opponent's Will-o-wisp finally hits Dragonite, only to be erased on the very next turn. This bulky dragon rarely gets OHKO'd by anything. It shrugs off Ice Beams well with Roost. Thunder Wave is great for crippling both blindingly-fast sweepers and walls.

I modified the Smogon version of the SupportNite a little bit for my own purposes. Careful nature and Dragon Claw is used in place of Calm and Dragon Pulse since Dragonite has higher Attack than SpA. It also allows it to benefit from Scizor's SD passes if necessary.

Ice:
Roost greatly decreases the power of these moves. Heatran is a great switch-in too, since it only takes 0.25x damage from Ice Beam. Scizor takes little damage from them too.

Bulky waters:
Sceptile again, see above for reason.

Salamence and Flygon: Send in Heatran to take the attack. Mamoswine is also a good switch-in as long as they don't use Fire Blast, as Mamo threatens a OHKO with Ice Shard.

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
0 HP IV's
EVs: 200 Def/252 Spe/56 SpA
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

Sceptile serves as an excellent check to the counters of its teammates. When sent out against something like Swampert, it is almost guaranteed to take at least one foe with it. Sub on the first turn while your opponent switches, and Leech Seed the switch-in. HP Fire is great for taking out Grass-types immune to Leech Seed, as well as U-Turn Scizor.

The HP IV is set to 0 so that the minimum amount of HP is used in the creation of the Substitutes. Between Leftovers and Leech Seed, Sceptile often regains upward of 20% of its health every turn, which almost completely compensates for the 25% lost in making the Substitute.

Ice:
Heatran is a great switch-in too, since it only takes 0.25x damage from Ice Beam. Scizor takes little damage from them too.

Fire: Heatran and Dragonite.

U-Turn: Um, hide behind a Sub?

Status attacks:

Time: Generally, Sceptile can take down any one particular Pokemon with it. As a result, its main counter is really just time and endurance.

Anything faster than Sceptile: Send in something that resists the attacks that you anticipate will be used.

ATTACKERS:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
Rash nature (+SpA, -SpD)
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice]

ScarfTran is my revenge killer and Fire/Ice-absorber. It loves to come in on an opposing Fire Punch/Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Will-o-wisp to boost its Flamethrower to nosebleed levels. After a Flash Fire boost, Flamethrower dents even those that resist it.

This moveset allows for great type coverage, but requires good prediction to use. When against something like Scizor, I often use Earth Power instead of Flamethrower in anticipation of a Heatran switchin. Afterwards, I am free to spam Flamethrower around the next time I switch in. HP Ice is great for dealing with Dragons. Explosion for a boom on the way out.

Heatran and Dragonite create a great defensive combo. Dragonite covers Heatran's weaknesses, and vice-versa. As such, the two are often used in tandem.

Ground:
Azelf and Dragonite are immune to it.

Water: Sceptile and Dragonite shrug it off easily.

Fighting: Dragonite again.

Opposing Heatran:
Good prediction with Earth Power and Flamethrower lets me come out on top.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 176 HP/116 Atk/196 Spe/20 SpD
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Mamoswine is a great switch-in on an anticipated Thunderbolt or T-Wave or Dragon-type. As it switches out, it uses Stealth Rock for team support. Then it proceeds to start doing some damage. Ice Shard and EQ are a great STAB tandem, while Stone Edge hurts those Gyarados that come in. A great recipient of Scizor's SD boosts.

Water: Sceptile and Dragonite shrug it off easily.

Fighting: Dragonite again.

Gyarados:
See above section in Scizor's description.
Bulky waters: Sceptile.

Azelf @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 Atk/220 Spe/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion

Azelf is a great special sweeper. With a Ground-type immunity, it is often quite easy to switch it in, especially with Heatran on the team. HP Ground allows it to OHKO Heatran. Meanwhile, Flamethrower and Shadow Ball provide good type coverage. Expert Belt allows you to bluff Choice Specs before you surprise them with another attack.

U-turn: Send in Heatran or Dragonite to take almost no damage.

Pursuit: Well, there's really nothing it can do except for stay in and fight.

Heatran:
Either my Heatran or HP Ground

Dragons: Mamoswine

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you think? Rate, hate, steal! :naughty:

Hey nice team, The only thing is that if azelf and Dragonite (T-TAr) are dead, fighting (resttalk Machamp) sweeps you.
once again NICE TEAM!

Hey nice team, The only thing is that if azelf and Dragonite (T-TAr) are dead, fighting (resttalk Machamp) sweeps you.
once again NICE TEAM!
Okay, I'll comment on it shortly.

However, regarding your comment, I'm not too worried about that weakness. After all, you could say that "X will sweep your team if Y and Z are dead" for almost any team.

I don't like someone as useful as scizor to be treated like a suicide attempt to get a boost. I see enemy CBscizor to be a problem. Once it scouts heatran it can always predict a switch which will lead to mind games. U-turn can pick your team off quickly and your Mamo and azelf are both OHKOed by bullet punch. the best way to handle it would be trying to bait it out early with sceptile and then hope it stays in to be hit by hp-fire. Just a quick overview of the team. Seems decent but I would prefer using scizor as cb to check lati and other ghost and using mamo as a lead varient instead. GL

I can see a huge Gyarados counter. It can switch in on basically all but Sceptile. If it's running DD/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Filler, you're team is screwed. Then, your only option is to Explode with Heatran or Explode with Azelf. And +1 Atk owns them both. So be careful of Gyarados. However I can recommend a Celebi over Scizor's place. Celebi and Heatran have even greater synergy than Scizor/Heatran due to resistencies to each other's weakness. However, if you do that, then Mamoswine should be put as your lead. Just my two cents.

- LB

LeadApe gives your scizor hell and breaks focus sash with fake out.
Otherwise, not so bad!
Usually, when I see LeadApe I switch to my ScarfTran. It deals with Fake Out and any Fire attack pretty well.

I don't like someone as useful as scizor to be treated like a suicide attempt to get a boost. I see enemy CBscizor to be a problem. Once it scouts heatran it can always predict a switch which will lead to mind games. U-turn can pick your team off quickly and your Mamo and azelf are both OHKOed by bullet punch. the best way to handle it would be trying to bait it out early with sceptile and then hope it stays in to be hit by hp-fire. Just a quick overview of the team. Seems decent but I would prefer using scizor as cb to check lati and other ghost and using mamo as a lead varient instead. GL
Scizor isn't exactly a suicide lead, as I usually manage to take a couple of my opponent's Pokemon down with Bullet Punch first before it dies or Passes. More often than not, Scizor survives until the endgame.

And I'll think about the CB suggestion.
I can see a huge Gyarados counter. It can switch in on basically all but Sceptile. If it's running DD/Waterfall/Ice Fang/Filler, you're team is screwed. Then, your only option is to Explode with Heatran or Explode with Azelf. And +1 Atk owns them both. So be careful of Gyarados. However I can recommend a Celebi over Scizor's place. Celebi and Heatran have even greater synergy than Scizor/Heatran due to resistencies to each other's weakness. However, if you do that, then Mamoswine should be put as your lead. Just my two cents.

- LB
Yeah, I see Gyarados as a big problem here :/ I like the idea of putting Mamo as a lead though; I'll try that. However, I'm hesitant about putting both Celebi and Sceptile on the same team. In addition, without Scizor my team loses a bit of firepower. Do you have a more offense-oriented suggestion to replace Scizor with?

Yeah, I see Gyarados as a big problem here :/ I like the idea of putting Mamo as a lead though; I'll try that. However, I'm hesitant about putting both Celebi and Sceptile on the same team. In addition, without Scizor my team loses a bit of firepower. Do you have a more offense-oriented suggestion to replace Scizor with?
You could run a scarf starmie. Switch into a gyara and still go faster than him after a DD and take him out with a thunderbolt. While it might not be as offensive/destructive as scizor, it certainly helps out your gyara problem.

You could run a scarf starmie. Switch into a gyara and still go faster than him after a DD and take him out with a thunderbolt. While it might not be as offensive/destructive as scizor, it certainly helps out your gyara problem.
I'll try out Starmie, thank you for the suggestion.

Usually, when I see LeadApe I switch to my ScarfTran. It deals with Fake Out and any Fire attack pretty well.
Leadape then OHKOs with Close Combat.

I don't know the damage calcs off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure Azelf can't switch into a Fire Blast then survive another, so Mixape 6-0s your team. (Dragonite falls to HP Ice, Heatran/Mamo to CC, Everyone else to Fire Blast).

Unscarf Heatran and use him for the lead set, switch to CB Scizor, then swap Sceptile out for a Suicune. Either the LO set (with HP Electric and Ice Beam, she can take a hit from a Dragon/Gyarados and OHKO back) or the Rest/Talk set.

Leadape then OHKOs with Close Combat.

I don't know the damage calcs off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure Azelf can't switch into a Fire Blast then survive another, so Mixape 6-0s your team. (Dragonite falls to HP Ice, Heatran/Mamo to CC, Everyone else to Fire Blast).

Unscarf Heatran and use him for the lead set, switch to CB Scizor, then swap Sceptile out for a Suicune. Either the LO set (with HP Electric and Ice Beam, she can take a hit from a Dragon/Gyarados and OHKO back) or the Rest/Talk set.
However, ScarfTran outspeeds Ape and Earth Powers it, followed by either Azelf switching in or a priority attack from one of my other Pokemon.

CB Scizor has been suggested multiple times, so I'll try him out. LeadTran also sounds like a good idea, but I'd prefer to keep him as a revenge killer and fire-absorber instead. As for Sceptile...it actually kills a lot of things and is my only counter against bulky waters, so I think I need to keep it in. However, I think Suicune could be used in place of Scizor instead as a Gyarados counter.

So currently, I think I might modify the team to:

LeadMamo (is it the same set as the Mamo I have now)
Dragonite
Sceptile
Azelf
Heatran
Suicune (offensive variety; used in place of Scizor)

That look good?

Great team. The only thing I would say is switch Flamethrower for Fire Blast. But thats really your decision over rather you want power or accuracy.

I dont have enough time, bu just something quick...I would change Azelf's item for LIfe Orb since that way you can gain some 2HKOs which otherwise would be 3HKOs by the way, change Azelf's movepool I recommend something like:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Naive/Timid Nature
Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power/Explotion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)