Strategy & Metagame Dragons: Down for the Count!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I wanted to write an article about Dragon-type Pokemon and how their positions in the meta changed after the introduction of Fairies. Most of my observations and claims will be based on changes in the OU tier and Battle Spot Doubles.

I would start with some background first. Before X and Y, there were more Dragons in the OU tier. They were more prominent back then. Then everything changed when the Fairies attacked.

Next, I would describe the fall of Dragons in more detail. The introduction of the Fairy type was unsettling because no previous type was immune to Dragon-type attacks. Dragons fell from their throne. Salamence and Haxorus left the OU tier and moved down to BL and UU, respectively.

I used to play with a Psuedo-Legendary team on Battle Spot Doubles for kicks and giggles. It had 4 Dragons. It wasn't the best team before X and Y, but it definitely did worsen after they came. The introduction of Fairies required me to make extensive changes to to my team. Movepools, items, and roles in the team were modified. I put more emphasis on using my non-Dragon partners (Tyranitar and Metagross). Along with that, before X and Y, Outrage used to be a more common move in Battle Spot Doubles. Now, Dragon Claw/Dual Chop appear more frequently on their movesets.

Despite all this, the future is not totally bleak for Dragons. Some Dragons were able to survive the onslaught of Fairies and remain in the OU Tier for various reasons (ie. Garchomp's mega evolution as well as its movepool allowed it to stay, though the Pokemon is still weaker in this meta.) And Mega Evolution might help some Dragons regain their throne. (For example, if Mega Salamence is any good, it might make a comeback.) In Battle Spot, Dragon-type Pokemon still appear on many teams (though it's pretty much always just a Garchomp now). The difference is that now, they usually have some anti-Fairy Pokemon on the team to protect the Dragon.

In conclusion, Dragons now have a check on their power. This is not an entirely bad thing, nor an entirely good thing. Less Dragons can be called "OP", and they can't Outrage as freely as they please now. The Dragon diversity on teams has narrowed, but more options may be available in the future (C'mon Mega Salamence!).

So, what do you guys think?
(Hopefully, my outline shows you that I have extensive knowledge about the meta, and I know what I'm talking about.)

Valentine

Banned deucer.
most everyone knows that

-dragons aren't used as much because of fairies
-some dragons still work like garchomp and lati@s
-ORAS will give salamence a ridiculous surge in usage

i'm not sure if the article is entirely necessary, and i personally do not find it interesting, but i don't mind if you write it.

Yeah, I can dig it. Approved!
most everyone knows that

-dragons aren't used as much because of fairies
-some dragons still work like garchomp and lati@s
-ORAS will give salamence a ridiculous surge in usage

i'm not sure if the article is entirely necessary, and i personally do not find it interesting, but i don't mind if you write it.
The same thing happened with this thread. I didn't get any email notifications. So sorry again.
And like with my other article idea, I cannot work on it this week. So is it fine if I write it a little bit later (like the following week)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)