Dragons and Fire - a DW OU RMT

As much as I was planning to wait before playing the 5th Gen metagame the hype was too much. I decided to make a team, unfortunately as I was new to 5th Gen I had to do a lot of research on which Pokemon were good.

Team Construction
I heard about Blaziken getting Speed Boost so I decided to add him.

One of the first 5th gen Pokemon I noticed was Ononokusu with his godly Attack stat.

Next came Sazandora, my special sweeper. As well as Shandera with Shadow Tag for a revenge killer.

I noticed my team had a glaring Water/Ice weakness so I needed a bulky water. After a bit of reasearch I found my answer in Burungeru.

Now for my lead. I decided that instead of going the traditional lead I wanted an anti-lead. I had heard of Magic Mirror and found out that Espeon had it so I decided to try her out as my lead.

After a bit of testing I was noticing the Espeon wasn’t doing much due to lack of type coverage so I switched her out to one of my favorite Pokemon from the good ol’ days of Gen 1, Dragonite.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Dragonite makes an excellent anti-lead. With Multi-Scale he takes ½ damage when he’s at full health, as well as dealing quite a lot of damage to boot. Extremespeed is there to hit those pesky Focus Sash users. With this setup I can take out at least one Pokemon, if not more, before Dragonite faints.

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shadow Claw
- Protect
- Hi Jump Kick
- Blaze Kick

Blaziken, my first physical sweeper. This guy is amazing with his new ability, Speed Boost. I usually send him in after Dragonite goes down. I use protect when I need a speed increase. Shadow Claw is there to hit Burungeru and for Shandera. After two Speed Boosts he outspeeds almost all Pokes and with Blaze Kick and Hi Jump Kick he gets pretty good type coverage.

Ononokusu (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

My second physical sweeper. With Choice Band he hits 648 Attack. Not much to say here, Outrage when I can afford to be locked into a move, Dragon Claw when I can’t. Rock Slide is there to hit the flying types that my other attacks can’t hit easily.

Sazandora (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

This guy is a special beast. Fire Blast rips Nattorei apart, Dark Pulse hits hard with STAB, and Draco Meteor is there when I can afford the Special Attack drop and when I can’t I use Dragon Pulse. This guy likes to come in on ground attacks aimed at Shandera.

Shandera (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Shadow Tag Shandera is the ultimate revenge killer. Shadow Tag prevents them from switching out and with my Choice Scarf I almost always outspeed them and can get a 1HKO or 2HKO.

Burungeru (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Boil Over
- Recover
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Last but not least comes my bulky water. He provides a much needed Ice resistance and Water immunity. He outstalls Wish Vaporeon with Toxic and Recover and can also hit quite hard with STAB Boil Over. Recover provides much needed healing and Shadow Ball hits what Boil Over doesn’t hit.

Changes in Red

Credit to Arkeis for the sprites and a few pictures.

Two fire types and three dragons? I know you said Pringles covers it, but it just takes one good hit and it's gone, then you're gone. How about a Machamp/Metagross offensive lead? Both are bulky and have huge attacks, and Meta gives you another ice resistance.

I dont see why you have both Multiscale and Lifeorb on your dragonite? if the opponent goes for a setup move you will be the one to break your own Multiscale. i would use leftovers and maybe even roost to keep healing him up to max hp to fully use the Multiscale. i use this set.

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
Ev´s: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moveset:
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Dragon dance
- Roost

Being able to go for a DD when they set up Stealth rock or spikes, then using the Combined force of Fire and dragon to hit every type for at least natural damage. carrying Roost to get som Hp back up in later games so that he is not a threat in just the beginning of the game.

Lum berry lets you get away from status cripplers like T-wave and Will-o-wisp and if you would like, more Outrage sweeping whitout needing to fear confusion hacks. but if you like you could use Leftovers to keep damage from hail and sandstorm to a minimum. and for more healing to use Multiscale

Its works really good. but might also nead some work. buts i think its better off then you current Dragonite

1 Pokemon doesn't solve every weakness. 3 ice weaknesses? Anything remotely powerful with BoltBeam will screw you over.

Not to mention you don't resist Dragon anywhere. Your whole team is swept by Scarfchomp alone, or Latios. Or Rain dance Kingdra.You can mitigate this somewhat by replacing Protect with Shadow Claw on Blaziken for Shandera, Burungeru and Latios. Since everything is male anyway online just make Ono have Rivalry for an additional boost. Finally, replace one of your Dragons for a bulky Steel type.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, Bookworm911, really nice team you have here, a really great example of beating down on one Pokemon's counters to sweep with a Poke with similar counters. I have a couple of suggestions which I think might help you out a bit, and I couple of slight issues on with the team to note.

Problems

• Lack of a Dragon resist
  • Sand Teams

How These Are Problems

Your lack of a Dragon resist means that opposing teams that are built similar to yours, or just utilize a scarf Dragon (like Garchomp or Lati@s as their revenge killer) can force you to sacrifice a Pokemon every single time they switch in. In addition, your team doesn't really have a series of defensive pivots to beat down mixed Dragons, which is in general just a major problem for you.

Sand teams, especially those with Garchomp, Doryuuzu, and Randorosu, will all force you to have to pivot through a lot of your team to successfully beat them, since nothing really likes taking Earthquakes from their monster attack stats, and if you let something like Dory get a Swords Dance in (probably Balloon Dory on a choice locked Earthquake from Onono or something like that) then it can really wreak havoc on your team, since only Burungeru really can take hits well.

Solutions

The easiest way to deal with these issues (though sadly rather inefficiently, but still, it can help) is to run something like Balloon Heatran over a Dragon, or perhaps over Blaziken even, as it lets you lure Earthquakes with Shandy, and then pivot to him. An alternative option would be to try and fit something like Skarmory or Nattorei onto the team, although then you still have a bit of trouble with mixed Dragons.

Hope I helped!

I dont see why you have both Multiscale and Lifeorb on your dragonite? if the opponent goes for a setup move you will be the one to break your own Multiscale. i would use leftovers and maybe even roost to keep healing him up to max hp to fully use the Multiscale. i use this set.

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
Ev´s: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moveset:
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Dragon dance
- Roost

Being able to go for a DD when they set up Stealth rock or spikes, then using the Combined force of Fire and dragon to hit every type for at least natural damage. carrying Roost to get som Hp back up in later games so that he is not a threat in just the beginning of the game.

Lum berry lets you get away from status cripplers like T-wave and Will-o-wisp and if you would like, more Outrage sweeping whitout needing to fear confusion hacks. but if you like you could use Leftovers to keep damage from hail and sandstorm to a minimum. and for more healing to use Multiscale

Its works really good. but might also nead some work. buts i think its better off then you current Dragonite
Thanks, I tried that set on dragonite and it seems to be working much better than mine

Hi, Bookworm911, really nice team you have here, a really great example of beating down on one Pokemon's counters to sweep with a Poke with similar counters. I have a couple of suggestions which I think might help you out a bit, and I couple of slight issues on with the team to note.

Problems

• Lack of a Dragon resist
  • Sand

How These Are Problems

Your lack of a Dragon resist means that opposing teams that are built similar to yours, or just utilize a scarf Dragon (like Garchomp or Lati@s as their revenge killer) can force you to sacrifice a Pokemon every single time they switch in. In addition, your team doesn't really have a series of defensive pivots to beat down mixed Dragons, which is in general just a major problem for you.

Sand, especially Garchomp, Doryuuzu, and Randorosu, will all force you to have to pivot through a lot of your team to successfully beat them, since nothing really likes taking Earthquakes from their monster attack stats, and if you let something like Dory get a Swords Dance in (probably Balloon Dory on a choice locked Earthquake from Onono or something like that) then it can really wreak havoc on your team, since only Burungeru really can take hits well.

Solutions

The easiest way to deal with these issues (though sadly rather inefficiently, but still, it can help) is to run something like Balloon Heatran over a Dragon, or perhaps over Blaziken even, as it lets you lure Earthquakes with Shandy, and then pivot to him. An alternative option would be to try and fit something like Skarmory or Nattorei onto the team, although then you still have a bit of trouble with mixed Dragons.

Hope I helped!
Thanks, and what set should I run on Balloon Heatran, Im going to replace Ono with him. Ono doesn't see much use as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)