SM OU Dragonite Rain

Team Importable: https://pokepast.es/64ecbd8d39717cab
Hi guys! This is my second RMT. I am trying to build a rain team centered around Psychic Seed Lucha and Flyinium Z Dragonite. If possible, I would not like to replace Dragonite. Without further ado, let's look at the team!

Buff Grape (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch
Swampert is pretty standard for any rain team because of it's monstrous attack stat and doubled speed boost in rain. Waterfall is Water type STAB, and also the best Water type physical move Swampert could know. Earthquake is also standard Ground type STAB, and Ice Punch is to pressure frail grass types. Power-Up Punch is my choice for the fourth moveslot because it gives Swampert the chance to eventually sweep entire teams.

Long-Hair Lele (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Tapu Lele is Scarfed to outspeed most of the OU tier, and quickly do devastating damage to pests such as ferrothorn and gliscor. Psychic and Moonblast are basic STAB moves. I chose Hidden Power Fire because it takes care of ferrothorn, and Assault Vest Magearna which this team has problems with. Also, Psychic Terrain is for Hawlucha's Psychic Seed Special Defense Boost. Psyshock is for Pokemon that have low defense.

Spike Cannon (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
Ferrothorn is our main hazard setup. Leech seed is to pressure defoggers, such as Tornadus, to switch out. It is also Ferrothorn's only way of HP recovery. Ferrothorn is, in my opinion, a pretty good choice as hazard setup because it resists flying types. Gyro Ball and Power Whip are Ferrothorn's most powerful STAB moves, and it also means that Ferrothorn still has a wider attack option if it was taunted. The only thing Ferrothorn needs to watch out for is a flamethrower from Zard Y or a Flare Blitz from Zard X and Heatran.

Fat Zard (Dragonite) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
Dragonite is our main sweeper and the star of the team. I grabbed this moveset from OP Jellicent's Dragonite team. Team import: https://pokepast.es/c85bb80923150805
Extreme Speed makes Dragonite a potent revenge killer with one or two Dragon Dances. Fly is to deal with pesky grass types such as Tankasaur and Assault Vest Tangrowth. Dragon Dance ensures that Dragonite has the sweeping potentialEarthquake is to kill rock types and Assault Vest Magearna as well as other steel types.

Rain Machine (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn
Pelipper is only intended as a pivot and response to Hazards. Defog is Pelipper's response to hazards. U-turn and Scald are the only attacks Pelipper knows. Roost is to ensure that there is consistent rain going on for Mega Swampert. Damp Rock is pretty standard, because it ensures that Mega Swampert has time to Power-Up Punch and increase attack., giving it sweeping potential.

Rey Mysterio (Hawlucha) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 100 HP / 224 Atk / 4 Def / 58 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
Hawlucha was an idea I had from a friend. Psychic Seed is to get an extra Special Defense boost. Drain Punch is Hawlucha's HP recovery in case High Jump Kick misses, as well as Fighting STAB. High Jump Kick is the most powerful move Hawluch knows. Poison Jab is to pressure Tapu Lele with Psychic and Fairy STAB to switch out. Acrobatics is part of the Unburden Set, because its power doubles if the user has no held item.

Attachments

I don't think double Psychic STAB is a good idea on Scarf Lele. It works on Specs Lele because you can crush Chansey with Psyshock while crushing almost everything else with Psychic, but Chansey doesn't really care about Scarf Psyshock, so running both moves isn't very helpful. Additionally, while Hidden Power Fire is usually a very good move on any Lele set besides maybe Calm Mind, I don't like it here in the context of a semi-rain team. I'd drop Psyshock and HP Fire for Focus Blast for Steel coverage that isn't weakened by the rain, and either Thunderbolt to revenge kill a boosted Gyarados and hit Celesteela for okay damage.

I want to suggest a more standard EV spread for Ferrothorn, but I'm curious why you chose the spread you're using. I'd also swap Spikes for Stealth Rock, as Rocks are more generally useful.

I know you want to keep Dragonite, but it's unfortunately pretty outclassed in the OU tier by Gyarados, and is even more outclassed by Gyarados in the context of a rain team. Gyarados can easily snowball thanks to its Moxie ability, and its Water STAB not only pairs very well with its Flying nuke, but also gets boosted by the rain.
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake / Taunt

However, since you already have a physical Flying type and a physical Water type on the team, you could also use Tornadus-Therian.
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Knock and U-turn are just there for utility, as thus aren't worth running a Hasty nature for.

WTF is with the 6 Speed IVs on Pelipper?

Hawlucha really wants Swords Dance to be threaten as possible, as while its STABs are very strong, its base Attack is kinda low. To make room for it, I would drop Poison Jab, as the only Fairy that it hits harder than Acrobatics or High Jump Kick is Tapu Koko, who you already have to great answers for in Swampert and Ferrothorn.

Not too bad, but there are a few changes I would make.
Firstly, I would recommend having Focus Blast on Lele as the dual psychic moves aren't really needed, and you get more coverage. Also, since it's a rain team, you could consider running thunder on it aswell.
Second, I would probably change spikes on ferro for rocks, since they are better in general, and this team lacks rocks anyway, which is a no-go.
Third, I hope this is just a typo, but 252 special attack ev and modest nature on a physical dragonite?! Come on.
Fourth, this might not to be changed, but I'm a little confused about the 6 speed ivs on Pelipper. My guess is that it is to underspeed celesteela or something so that you can U-turn out so it wont leech seed the incoming pokemon, as i have run the same idea but on magearna with volt switch. If this isn't the reason why, then please make it clear why.
Final, Hawlucha really needs SD, even with high base power STAB moves, it just doesnt hit hard enough. I would recommend subbing p-jab for SD
That's about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)