Dragonite (Full Revamp) +

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]

<p> The introduction of Outrage as a tutor move in Platinum snatched Dragonite's title of the only OU dragon to sport Dragon Dance + Outrage. However, this is still Dragonite's most destructive set. The concept is simple: come in on something that doesn't like Dragonite much, Dragon Dance on the switch, and blast away with Outrage. Dragon + Ground is only resisted by Bronzong and Skarmory so a fire move in the last slot remedies this. Fire Punch will hit Bronzong harder, but Fire Blast hits Skarmory much harder before you Dragon Dance. Ideally, you want to put off using Outrage as long as possible so you don't get needlessly locked in and can last longer before getting confused.</p>
You are not suppose to mention things like "addition of platinum tutors" etc.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=76&a=69

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can you lawyer past that by going "While this is Dragonite's most destructive set, it is now outclassed by Salamence."? It's not naming Platinum...

DD is completely outclassed by Mence unless you add some real cool gimmick to it, like have a Liechi / Salac Berry and make it so when you take one Ice Beam you go into range or something. I guess if you're going to keep a clean outclassed set in, just be sure to say that in the comments.

Ok, I will remove the first sentence, but then Chris is Me brings up a good point. The set is thoroughly outclassed by Salamence, yet people still use it more than Dragonites other good sets for some odd reason. Opinions on this?

While this is Dragonite's most destructive set, it is now outclassed by Salamence
Why not just write the same sentance but remove the now... It still doesn't mention Platinum and it doesn't even imply it.

Ok, I will remove the first sentence, but then Chris is Me brings up a good point. The set is thoroughly outclassed by Salamence, yet people still use it more than Dragonites other good sets for some odd reason. Opinions on this?
Pairing DD Nite and DD Mence can make handling weaknesses (Ice particularly but also SR) a tougher task, however, if you build the rest of the team around them, they are indeed a deadly combination. It is uncommon that a team has more than 1 reliable counter to the DD set, so
you could use one of the dragons (maybe dragonite which is bulkier) to break and the other one (maybe salamence which is faster) to sweep. Just wondering

Yeah, that is a common strategy that Brawley abused a while ago with Garchomp + Dragonite. He had Garchomp power through the counters and Dragonite sweep.

I don't think the DD set is completely outclassed. With a Yache berry, you can set up a lot more easily against bulky waters, especially those that EV just to kill Salamance (Most walls do). Also, Fire Punch's 5 more BP than Salamance's Fire Fang evens out the power against steels.

I don't think the DD set is completely outclassed. With a Yache berry, you can set up a lot more easily against bulky waters, especially those that EV just to kill Salamance (Most walls do). Also, Fire Punch's 5 more BP than Salamance's Fire Fang evens out the power against steels.
1) Salamence uses Fire Blast to much more success than Dragonite Fire Punch
2) DD Nite is 2HKOed with a Yache Berry most of times much like DD Mence

For these and other reasons I'd say that, even if I love Dragonite, should I need a powerful Dragon Dancer I'd think more to a Salamence than to Dragonite

1) Salamence uses Fire Blast to much more success than Dragonite Fire Punch
2) DD Nite is 2HKOed with a Yache Berry most of times much like DD Mence

For these and other reasons I'd say that, even if I love Dragonite, should I need a powerful Dragon Dancer I'd think more to a Salamence than to Dragonite
Than you're walled more by most Bronzong, and you require an EV split or lowering of defenses to OHKO Skarmory with Fire Blast. Plus, you risk missing. Where as Dragonite will 2HKO all the same.

And Dragonite has 100 in SpD, and Salamance is left with 80. Most counters use Ice Beam, and that means Dragonite has a better chance of setting up on them. Even if you don't have Yache Berry, things like Vaporeon EV to kill Salamance with Ice Beam not Dragonite. This means you can essentially 2HKO or DD in their faces.

Use Dragonite on more defensive teams, Salamance for pure offense or to abuse Intimidate. Don't take on bulky waters with Salamance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)