SM OU dragon spam

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Welcome to my first RMT! I am new to this as you can see so I won't have all the little icons of the pokes or anything like that. When I build (which is rarely) I like to run offense. So with this build I tried to build a team around the amazing sweeper, dd mence.

Teambuilding -

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

The one sweeper of the team, mences ability paired with it having dd allows it to be able to sweep a team after 2 turns of setup. The only mon i could even compare this to is mega zard x. The main goal of mence on this team is to come in (kinda later on in the game when everything is weakened) after a sac and setup a dd, after the bulky switch in comes in, you z move fly it (175 bp) blow it away and become +2 attack. And after these 2 turns theres nothing your opponent can do but sac his remaining mons.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

My "wallbreaker", lo chomp is cool bc of its ability to weaken bulky grounds for mence. Yes it isn't the best rocker, but I dont believe rocks are necessary on this team for it to succeed. (prolly could replace this mon)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Defensive rotom-w, an excellent pivot that was amazing in oras but dropped in usage when sm came out. Although it is not seen often anymore I believe it still is great. Rotom-w checks threats like dual dance lando, metagross, mamoswine and opposing mence. It also is a great pivot for annoying ass celesteela which it volts out on to gain momentum.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

THIS THING IS GOD, Mega Venu is definitely my fav pokemon in the meta rn. It just checks so many threats; greninja (pre ash form), koko, fini (not rly a threat, but its so common), bulu, pheromosa (any set), kartana, nihilego, mamoswine, weavile, the list goes on. This mixed def set allows it to switch in to half the meta without a problem.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

What can I say, best mon in sm. Amazing defogger which is needed for mence, alot of speed for fast taunts. Natures Madness is great for fat pivots that switch in like magearna or ferro. Checks threats like ash gren, scarf lele (when healthy) and scizor.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Very underrated mon, Muk is great to deal with threats. Pursuit traps things like char y, lele, latios, mega zam and hoopa. also has access to stab knock off and poison jab which has a 60% chance to poison things. Just very solid in general in that it can come in on the tapus and many other special attackers.

Hope you enjoyed my first rmt, would love feedback, I rly wanna become a better builder but I dont see everything in the game, and not very creative.

Threats:

Zard Y - no switch ins. Not a problem if rocks are up tho, or if its late in the game bc i can scare it out after mence comes in and set up.

Manaphy - If its psychic venu dies after rocks at +3, but ice beam at +3 only does 50 max which is good.

Dugtrio - Very annoying bc I rely on muk to check lele and zam which run a truck through my team if its gone.

Importable
Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Last edited:
Your team seems pretty set. I've personally never been a fan of Dragon spam once Fairys came about but you have it covered. There's truely only two things I would change on your team but I probably wouldn't do both just one.

Instead of Garchomp you could go Zygarde. Zygarde takes very little from Mega Charizard Y even in the Sun and can hit him with Thousand Arrows. Now I could easily see Toxic or Dragon Tail helping you out because you can either put Manaphy on a timer or phase it out if it tries to boost on you. It would also allow for two boosters and you could decide which one would be more likely to sweep each match between it and Salamence.

If you opt out of Zygarde though you could run Tyranitar with 252 Atk / 252 Speed Adamant set. Choice Band more in particular would be the item choice for this team. Stone Edge, Crunch, Pursuit, Ice Punch. I only say Ice Punch because you could be able to predict Dugtrio to come in on Stone Edge and bop it with good prediction. Tyranitars sand removes Charizard Ys sun. You'll still be able to Pursuit trap as well and hit a lot of switch ins extremely hard.

You can easily prepare for Mega Charizard Y, the other two however not so much. I feel Manaphy is more of a threat then Dugtrio so I recommend going Zygarde over Garchomp more over Tyranitar over Muk-Alola. You already got Rotom-W and Tapu Fini that can handle bulky grounds so I feel an extra sweeper would be better.

So here's the sets I recommend, I'd only choose one to be honest and keep the other.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Tail / Toxic / ExtremeSpeed

Or

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Sand Stream
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Your team seems pretty set. I've personally never been a fan of Dragon spam once Fairys came about but you have it covered. There's truely only two things I would change on your team but I probably wouldn't do both just one.

Instead of Garchomp you could go Zygarde. Zygarde takes very little from Mega Charizard Y even in the Sun and can hit him with Thousand Arrows. Now I could easily see Toxic or Dragon Tail helping you out because you can either put Manaphy on a timer or phase it out if it tries to boost on you. It would also allow for two boosters and you could decide which one would be more likely to sweep each match between it and Salamence.

If you opt out of Zygarde though you could run Tyranitar with 252 Atk / 252 Speed Adamant set. Choice Band more in particular would be the item choice for this team. Stone Edge, Crunch, Pursuit, Ice Punch. I only say Ice Punch because you could be able to predict Dugtrio to come in on Stone Edge and bop it with good prediction. Tyranitars sand removes Charizard Ys sun. You'll still be able to Pursuit trap as well and hit a lot of switch ins extremely hard.

You can easily prepare for Mega Charizard Y, the other two however not so much. I feel Manaphy is more of a threat then Dugtrio so I recommend going Zygarde over Garchomp more over Tyranitar over Muk-Alola. You already got Rotom-W and Tapu Fini that can handle bulky grounds so I feel an extra sweeper would be better.

So here's the sets I recommend, I'd only choose one to be honest and keep the other.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Tail / Toxic / ExtremeSpeed

Or

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Sand Stream
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
Alright thanks when I get home I'll try to implement one of them

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey insult, really cool team, and I really like how you try to implement a lot of sets like Chain Chomp from ORAS, to pair it with mence and kill 2 of its best checks. Your team seems very solid, but slightly struggles with switching in to Sub Coil Zygarde-50% which is able to force out Pokemon like Muk Alola, and Rotom Wash. Mega Metagross can be extremely annoying here, as you do not have a switch in, with Rotom-Wash getting 2HKOd by Zen Headbutt after Rocks and it also is due, in part, due to a lack of Speed control, which is probably one of the largest issues facing the team right now.

->
I would like to recommend running a Magearna over Alolan Muk. AV Magearna still checks Tapu Lele, and checks Poison Jab Weavile a bit better, and creates mindgames with Offensive Lando T and Zygarde, as if they set up a Rock Polish/Dragon Dance on it they could be hit by a Fleur Cannon. but the main reason I would recommend running a Magearna is that it manages to gain momentum for the team, through the use of pivotting moves like Volt Switch . This change, however, does leave offensive Fire Types a bit more annoying, as it does mean that they can force out another Pokemon. However, you have a solid fire resist in Garchomp, which helps with Pokemon like non Hidden Power Ice Volcarona and Charizard Mega Y, and even Salamence, a very soft check to such fires, can help Garchomp in a worst case scenario. Marowak Alola also becomes more irritating, but your whole team aside from Magearna manages to pressure it.

->
Running a Scarf Dugtrio over Mega Venusaur would be my second recommendation . Dugtrio may feel like a awkward choice, when you have a EQ Salamence and a Garchomp on the team, but it frees up the Earthquake moveslot for Mence by trapping Heatran, traps very annoying Pokemon like Tapu Koko and Mega Metagross, who even though they are outsped by Garchomp, manage to force it out due to the threat of coverage moves, as well as non Scarf Pheromosa(or Scarf Mosa locked into P Jab to hit Fini) and you can play around Scarf Pheromosa by using Tapu Fini to check it, with Dugtrio able to surprise it too , and even provides Memento support to aid Salamence in setting up. It traps threatening Pokemon to other members like Magearna by trapping Hidden Power Ice Quiver Dance Volcarona, and Shift Gear Magearna . The main reason I am advising you to add this, however, stems from the fact that it manages to trap Mega Metagross if you can get some chip, which is a huge threat to your team. This provides some much needed speed control, which was one of the teams largest weaknesses. This change does make you slightly weaker to Manaphy, however, you check non Energy Ball sets with Tapu Fini and Rotom Wash pretty well, and Manaphy struggles to set up, and it would also be soft checked by Salamence if it lacks Ice Beam, and Dugtrio if it has taken a Natures Madness from Tapu Fini after Stealth Rocks Damage. This also does make Mamoswine and Weavile more threatening, but you keep 2 checks in Fini + Wash. Salamence has a bit more of a role checking Tapu Bulu after this change, and this also makes Fini your only Ash Greninja check, so you have to be careful those do not get worn down. Dugtrio is also not able to trap certain electrics like Thundurus and Thundurus T but you can check the former using Magearna, and scout for Gigavoltic Havoc from the latter, by switching into Magearna, and then going into Garchomp, if he had clicked Nasty Plot on the switch.

I would also recommend running Fire Fang over Earthquake on Salamence, once you have added Dugtrio, as this helps weaken Pokemon like Celesteela for Garchomp, which would otherwise check it quite well, taking about 30% from Fire Blast and recovering most of it very quickly through Leech Seed + Protect. This does make Tapu Koko and Heatran more annoying, but you have Scarf Dugtrio to trap them, which Tapu Kokos would not expect, and a lot of your team, like Garchomp pressures Heatran. Additionally, if your opponent is unwary, or tries to play aggressively, Magearna can bait Heatran in with a slow Volt Switch into Dugtrio.

My next recommendation would be to run Fire Blast over Outrage on Garchomp. This may feel somewhat unnecessary since you already have a Fire Fang Salamence, but it manages to hit Pokemon like Skarmory for much more damage with Fire Fang having a pitiful damage output on it. Fire Fang is still very useful, however, as when seeing a Garchomp + Salamence your opponent might be concerned about it being a Lure Garchomp set, but would get lulled into a false sense of security by Salamence's Fire Fang, with him thinking you might not be Fire Blast Garchomp then. Although losing Outrage does hurt against Pokemon like Chansey, you are still able to kill it after Rocks and can threaten the Defogger ( Skarmory) much better, may even lure it in, or let Hazard Pressure help Tapu Fini break. It also helps weaken Tapu Bulu which is annoying for this team.

Lastly, I would recommend running Moonblast on Tapu Fini. Moonblast helps Tapu Fini primarily hit the Zygarde , and threaten out Ash Greninja much better. I would also recommend a alternate spread of 248 HP / 188 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe with a Calm Nature , keeping SpDef investment as it's your main check to Greninja and is more efficient with the EVs, hitting a jump point in Special Defense. This does make Tapu Bulu and Continental Crush Landorus T more irritating , but Tapu Bulu takes a decent chunk from Moonblast, can not come in for free on anything bar Tapu Fini, as is checked by your primary wincon, Salamence and can be used as bait for it if it doesn't carry Stone Edge, or for Banded sets, is locked into Stone Edge, as well as pressured by Fire Blast Garchomp and if weakened can be trapped by Dugtrio. Continental Crush Landorus T is even more irritating with the loss of Water Sta,but you can send Rotom Wash on it, and go into Garchomp to scout for Continental Crush if it SDs on the switch, as Supersonic Skystrike Lando would switch out, unless you are clearly winning and do not need Wash, when your opponent might play desperately.

->
Alternatively, if you would want to keep Mega Venusaur, the team might be slightly less efficient, since I would keep Mega Venusaur, and would struggle a bit more with certain Pokemon . However, seeing that you felt it was your most effective Pokemon, I am still trying to improve the version with it, since it might suit better to your playstyle. In that case I would recommend still adding AV Magearna and using Fire Blast Chain Chomp but also running a Zapdos over Rotom Wash. Zapdos can run Defog, while checking a lot of similar threats as Rotom-Wash like Supersonic Skystrike Landorus-T, Salamence, Scarf Garchomp, acts as a very soft check to Mega Metagross and helps with Tapu Bulu and Kartana a bit better. It also helps with the stall Matchup, by using Pressure to help reduce the PP of your opponents moves, and has better recovery in Roost. This change does make you a bit weaker to Pokemon like Mamoswine and Marowak Alola, however, you have Tapu Fini and Venusaur Mega for Mamoswine, and Marowak is still pressured by the majority of your team. Continental Crush Lando T becomes more irritating, but you can still scout with Garchomp This also does make you lose a pivot, but you gain some crucial Defog support, which is worth it, and you had already gained a pivot in Magearna

->
After you would add Defog support, I would recommend running a Scarf Terrakion over Tapu Fini. Terrakion is a choice Scarf user above the base speed of 100, which allows it to revenge kill Charizard Mega X, and also Volcarona. Terrakkion also outspeeds Mega Metagross, and force it out, and is also able to help with Weavile and helps with revenge killing in general, which also helps you take on offense a bit better. This does make you a little more succeptible to Marowak Alola and Stall, and while you can play around the former, by trying to pressure A Maro teams with Garchomp and whittle it down using Magearna, and the latter with Pressure Zapdos working to help reduce PP, and LO Chain Chomp punching huge holes. Zygarde would also be extremely threatening to the team, and you would have to constantly try to prevent it from setting up, since it could really not set a free boost on anything, and try to force it out using Hidden Power Ice on Zapdos, taking advantage of the first Thousand Arrows hit being a neutral hit, if it got out of hand. Metagross Mega would also be able to just switch out, making it still threaten to get a kill every time it would come in.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Memento

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)