DPPt Heatran (Lead)

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Now that my Substitute Heatran is on-site, it is time to unleash another Heatran upon the pokemon world! This is the lead Heatran I have been using on my suspect team, and although I can't take credit for creating it, I do have a lot of experience using it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/heatran

------------------------------------
caelum edit: BEAMTRAN IS BETTER TAY!

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Explosion
item: Shuca Berry
nature: Naive / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Heatran may seem like an inferior suicide lead due to its low speed, it more than makes up for it in surprise value and utility. One of the biggest advantages of the set is that most players will assume that Heatran is holding a Choice Scarf - as most Heatran do - and make their plays accordingly. The most immediate and probably most beneficial consequence of this is that very few players will ever try to Taunt Heatran, meaning that you will get Stealth Rock up on turn one almost every game. The assumption of Choice Scarf also causes players to switch out of and attempt set up on Heatran, only to watch in horror as their prized sweeper is blown to smithereens via Explosion. Another more subtle aid is that, depending on the situation, you can switch out of Heatran immediately after using Stealth Rock on turn one, and your opponent will have absolute confidence when you send it back in later for a "revenge kill" on his Lucario or Infernape.</p>

<p>Shuca Berry is used here to all but guarantee that Heatran will survive one attack. The only even common leads that can OHKO Heatran are Infernape, which will likely assume Choice Scarf and use Stealth Rock turn one instead of attacking, and Tyranitar, which often does not run Choice Band and Adamant, both of which are required for a OHKO, as a lead. If you really fear a first turn OHKO you can use Focus Sash instead; however, a 1 HP Heatran is nearly useless once your opponent gets Stealth Rock up.</p>

<p>Speed and Special Attack are maxed to allow Heatran to sweep as well as it can. This is important because a lot of the time you will want to save Heatran for later in the game, due to its high Special Attack, decent Speed, and huge number of useful resists, most notably to Dragon type attacks. If you manage to keep the Shuca berry intact, you will also have a powerful weapon against opposing Heatran and anything using Earthquake. If you want to have that weapon late game regardless, this Heatran does have some effectiveness when it is not a lead. However, getting Stealth Rock up on the first turn is horribly beneficial, and this Pokemon is exceptionally good at doing just that.</p>

<p>Timid nature is an option if you want to be guaranteed to survive Azelf's Psychic + Explosion, but even with Naive, Azelf will need need nearly maximum damage from Explosion and above average damage from Psychic in order to score a KO, and the 10% boost to your own Explosion is often worth the risk. As a final note, this lead is not meant to be used on a team which does poorly against Stealth Rock. It can get its own Stealth Rock up in almost every game, but unless your opponent leads with something weak to Fire they will likely lay their own rocks as well.</p>

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
It looks like a cool set, just one problem I found out though: the name is wrong right now lol. I didn't see too much else wrong with it though, good job.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Substitute
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Explosion
item: Shuca Berry
nature: Naive / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Are you sure?

I've been using a set like this for a while to and its been doing great. It sets up Stealth Rock most of the time. But you might want to consider HP[Electric] over Explosion since Gyarados likes to switch into Heatran a lot.

a 1 HP Heatran is not useful if once your opponent gets Stealth Rock up.
I'm not sure if this is 100% correct English but I may have seen it used before, so I'm not editing it out myself.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
This set works very well when it isn't a lead also, might be worth mentioning. I've seen this set around before with the name "blufftran" which I found to be quite suiting.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Nice set, I've been using a Heatran lead with Will-O-Wisp over Explosion for quite a while, and I should say, it is one of the best leads. But there is something I'm not really sure about. I don't think people assume a lead Heatran to be holding a scarf. In my experience, almost no one believed that to be the case. I mean, there was a set or two in the analysis that suggest using Heatran as a lead, so most people won't assume a Scarf. At least this is in my experience.. Nice set anyways, and thanks for making this analysis!

Sincerely,
Yours Truly

I've play tested something similar to this and I see Heatran as an effective lead, especially with all the Iron Head Jirachi around. I use HP Water instead of Earth Power though, at it takes care of Aerodactyl and Infernape. (I know it's a 2HKO on them, but they're often Sashed anyway.)

I've also found out this guy can't take STABed Earthquakes, even with the Shuca Berry, so be sure to mention that somewhere.

Modest / Rash is better IMO, as you're not going to outrun much more (other than Adamant Gyarados) during the jump from 253 to 278.

Here's a thought, Heatran with 1 HP when SR is up isn't entirely useless. You can switch it in when you want another team member in, but it really doesn't want to take the hit/status you know is coming. In comes Heatran, your meatshield, who dies from SR, and you get a free switch.

Problem with that - your pokemon now takes extra SR damage.

While it may be useful for scouting, it could free your opponent from outrage if used incorrectly.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It looks like a cool set, just one problem I found out though: the name is wrong right now lol. I didn't see too much else wrong with it though, good job.
I may or may not have copy / pasted from my other analysis for the formatting =P

I've been using a set like this for a while to and its been doing great. It sets up Stealth Rock most of the time. But you might want to consider HP[Electric] over Explosion since Gyarados likes to switch into Heatran a lot.
But the same is true about Salemence and Swampert, and this is still really a suicide lead. So while I might mention hidden power in the comments, Explosion is far and away the better option and I am not going to put 4 slashes in the last slot to accomodate it.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct English but I may have seen it used before, so I'm not editing it out myself.
It was not correct, thank you for pointing it out. It has been fixed!

This set works very well when it isn't a lead also, might be worth mentioning. I've seen this set around before with the name "blufftran" which I found to be quite suiting.
I will give this a brief mention in the comments.

I've also found out this guy can't take STABed Earthquakes, even with the Shuca Berry, so be sure to mention that somewhere.

Modest / Rash is better IMO, as you're not going to outrun much more (other than Adamant Gyarados) during the jump from 253 to 278.
I know that it can take Hippo earthquakes. The only EQs that beat it turn 1 are Mamoswine and Adamant CB Tar, and the latter probably deserves a mention. Naive also makes you faster than Metagross, Breloom, and Smeargle, and trust me, it is extremely helpful to know for sure that one of these guys is carrying a scarf.

I've play tested something similar to this and I see Heatran as an effective lead, especially with all the Iron Head Jirachi around. I use HP Water instead of Earth Power though, at it takes care of Aerodactyl and Infernape. (I know it's a 2HKO on them, but they're often Sashed anyway.)
Infernape will OHKO you after your first attack, and you still won't have SR up. Aero will be taken out after it uses SR + attack but you still won't have SR up, and they will likely be able to revenge kill before you can use it.

Here's a thought, Heatran with 1 HP when SR is up isn't entirely useless. You can switch it in when you want another team member in, but it really doesn't want to take the hit/status you know is coming. In comes Heatran, your meatshield, who dies from SR, and you get a free switch.
Uhhh I suppose you're right...

when you send it back in later for a "revenge kill" on his Lucario or Infernape.</p>
This is important because a lot of the time you will want to save Heatran for later in the game, due to his high Special Attack
its > his, since the rest of the analysis refers to Heatran as "it".

If you want to have that weapon late game regardless
but unless your opponent leads with something weak to Fire
EDIT: Found 2 more! Types capitalized for the last one.

Couldn't spot any more!

TAY

You and I Know
sithlord

you are my favorite

(fixed both of those)

EDIT: Fixed those too; thanks again.

No wonder I suddenly see everyone running Heatran leads...so here's the reason : ). Actually for me, this lead has become so popular that my lead Lucario fires off a Close Combat whenever I see opposing Heatran lead. I just think that putting Heatran in the lead gives away its true purposes, and that once Stealth Rock is up Heatran can't really survive, with or without Shuca.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)