DPP Smeargle

There's been speculation in the past if this lead could work. It's good on real runs, but looks vulnerable on paper. It is also extremely hard to describe the set to its fullest potenial.. This set has high upside
---
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

[SET]
name: Spiker Lead
move 1: Spore
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: ExtremeSpeed/Magic Coat/Protect/Counter
item: Focus Sash
nature: Jolly / Hasty
ability: Own Tempo
evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Smeargle can make a fantastic support lead. Because of its access to Spore and Spikes, it can cripple a good amount of common leads and set up. The strategy is simple. Spore the opposition and then proceed to use Spikes. Spore allows you to cripple slower leads like Swampert and Bronzong and guarantees at least one layer of Spikes. Focus Sash also allows some safety versus faster leads, so it can status a Pokemon with Spore or lay down more Spikes. It is recommended to pair this set with a phazer to allow Spikes damage to accumlate and hinder some threats.</p>

<p>Smeargle's abysmal overall defenses make Endeavor an excellent option. With low HP or the activation of your Focus Sash, Smeargle is able to pummel any opposing foes to the ground(except Ghost-Types.) Stall teams are absolutely wrecked by the combo of Spore+Endeavor because of their overall low Speed not being able to outpace Smeargle(excluding Ghost-Types.) If used to its maximum potential, this strategy can ruin a good amount of pokemon. The last option is up to you. ExtremeSpeed allows Smeargle to finish off any Pokemon who has been hit by Endeavor or revenge kill any weakened pokemon. Magic Coat can be used to bounce back faster sleep moves from the likes of Roserade. Protect can be used in the last slot to stop Fake Out from ruining Focus Sash and scout potential moves. Lum Berry Metagross has the potency to ruin this set, so Counter can be an option to destroy any Metagross that opts to attack it. It can also scare Metagross to switch to another pokemon, allowing you to Spore or Spike the following turn. Jolly nature and max Speed allow full potential support. Attack EVs are added for maximum, revenge-killing power. Hasty nature should be used in tandem with Counter to increase its damage output.</p>

<p>Any faster Taunt users can stop Smeargle from setting up. Without Protect, Fake Out users enjoy forcing Smeargle to switch out. Although not very common, Lum Berry leads like Metagross can especially stop it up with any attack move. You should also be wary of Jirachi leads because of Iron Head flinches. </p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That sounds pretty neat actually, as good as Smeargle can do. I doubt it ever gets >1 layer out (and it kind of gets buttraped by Lead Azelf) but it's not the worst Smeargle I've ever seen.

Yes, this lead gets buttraped by Taunt and Fake Out. Although, it doesn't have to suicide and can come in again vs slow pokemon, Sporing it and set up spikes. It can also get more layers of spikes because sometimes defensive users switch in to lay down their rocks. Most of the time though, scizor switches in o.o.

shouldnt stealth rock be an optionover spikes? Seeing as youwont be getting very many layors of spikes any ways.
There are better Stealth Rock leads imo. 100% Sleep Move+Stealth Rock is unique though, so if a good majority people think it should be added, i will. 2 Layers of Spikes are not too hard to get as well.

Stall teams are absolutely wrecked by the combo of Spore+Endeavor because of their overall low speed.
Except for Rotom-A, which is immune to Endeavor, and may come in to attempt to Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave a suspected Belly Drum recipient. Seeing as every self-respecting stall team carries him to block spin...

Extremespeed is extremely weak, so maybe Seismic Toss on there?

You also use the word "cripple" a high amount of times. Try to read through it again, and change anything that sounds awkward, especially those repeats. You only have to mention the general runthrough of its play once.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
move 4: ExtremeSpeed / Counter
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Smeargle is a fantastic support lead because of its access to Spore and Spikes. The strategy is simple, Spore the opposition, and then proceed to use Spikes. Spore allows you to cripple slower leads like Swampert and Bronzong, also guaranteeing at least one layer of Spikes. (remove but) Focus Sash also allows some safety versus fast leads and many attacks, so it can cripple a pokemon with Spore or lay down more Spikes.</p>

<p>Smeargle's abysmal overall defenses make Endeavor an excellent option (this is awkward, I'd reword this because it's a run-on) with low HP or the activation Focus Sash, Smeargle is able to cripple or OHKO any opposing foes (except ghosts). Stall teams are absolutely wrecked by the combo of Spore and Endeavor because of their overall low speed. If used to its maximum potential, this strategy can sweep a good amount of pokemon and late game sweep.</p>

<p>The last option is up to you. (remove but) ExtremeSpeed allows Smeargle to finish off any pokemon who has been hit by Endeavor or revenge kill any weakened pokemon. If Lum Berry Metagross leads scare you, Counter could be an option to destroy any Metagross that opts to attack it. It can also scare Metagross to switch to another pokemon, allowing you to Spore or Spike the following turn. Jolly nature and max Speed allow full potential support. Attack EVs are added for maximum, revenge-killing power.</p>
This looks like a cool set. There are a good number of grammar/wording issues though which needs to be looked at (For example, like Mekkah said, "cripple" is used numerous times). Nice job though.

[SET]
move 4: ExtremeSpeed / Counter
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>(no space)Smeargle is a fantastic support lead because of access to Spore and Spikes. The strategy is simple, Spore the opposition, and (remove 'then') proceed to use Spikes. Spore allows you to cripple slower leads like Swampert and Bronzong and guarantees at least a layer of Spikes. But, Focus Sash also allows some safety versus faster leads and many attacks, so it can cripple a Pokemon with Spore or lay down more Spikes.</p>

<p>Smeargle's abysmal overall defenses makes Endeavor an excellent option. With low HP or the activation of your Focus Sash, Smeargle is able to cripple or OHKO any opposing foes (except Ghost-types). Stall teams are absolutely wrecked by the combo of Spore+Endeavor because of their overall low Speed not being able to outpace Smeargle. If used to its maximum potential, can sweep a good amount of Pokemon and late game sweep.</p>

<p>The last option is up to you. (remove 'But,') ExtremeSpeed allows Smeargle to finish off any Pokemon who has been hit by Endeavor or revenge kill any weakened Pokemon. If Lum Berry Metagross leads scare you, Counter could be an option to destroy any Metagross that opts to attack it. It can also scare Metagross to switch to another Pokemon, allowing you to Spore or Spike the following turn. A Jolly nature and max Speed let you outspeed the most possible Pokemon, and max Attack lets you revenge-kill more Pokemon with ExtremeSpeed or power-up your Counter.</p>
Capitalization fixes, and some grammatical things.

Hasty works with Counter.

Lol Mekkah, Extremespeed is only there to be used in tandem with Endeavor.
Nice set ^^,
Nicely put =D. Thanks for everyone's help on fixing my poor grammer.
Also, the only thing Extremespeed can't ohko is some heavily invested def evs with leftovers(Fortresses anyone?)

Seismic Toss can finish off slow bulky leads that utilise Leftovers. While generally less effective than Extremespeed, it is a good option.

If used to its maximum potential, this strategy can sweep a good amount of pokemon and late game sweep.
This bothers me. Try "If played correctly, Smeargle will take down at least one opposing Pokemon." or something similar. An Endeavour Pokemon cannot generally Late Game Sweep a decent player.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll tell you straight up I'm really skeptical (this might have more potential in UU so I think this should be held onto and rewritten in a different context but I'll address that later).

I don't think this will be a very effective lead (and not to offend but I'm getting a bit of Smeargle-fanboyism is behind this - maybe I'm just misreading that).

Looking at the top 10 leads.

1 - Metagross.
Metagross | Item | Lum Berry | 16.4

Assuming a decent amount of those are leads the Lum ruins the strategy a bit. I guess it works "okay" against Metagross

2- Azelf: Taunt says hi.

3- Jirachi: Probably Choice Scarf as a lead, Iron Head flinches you ruining it 60% of the time.

4- Tyranitar: You Spore it, although sandstream breaks the Focus Sash. I guess you are at an advantage here.

5- Infernape: Fake Out + Close Combat. You get the picture.

6- Aerodactyl: Taunt says hi.

7- Bronzong: Spore & Spikes. You win here.

8- Hippowdon: Spore & Spikes. You win here.

9- Swampert: Spore & Spikes. You win here.

10 - Ninjask: Substitutes and BPs away.

Anyway, I suppose this can be added to the analysis but I want you work in a paragraph showing the significant drawbacks to this as a lead if you don't get a good match-up (and quite a few of the match-ups that are bad are very common). Your analysis hypes it up as a lead but doesn't analyze where it performs quite horribly as a lead, as I shown above, so include bits about Taunt Azelf / Aerodactyl and IH Jirachi and LeadApe ruining it (or at least forcing a switch).

Also, I edited out your links. Someone told me that they wanted to use a team you showed in a tournament so I removed the log links. Also, most of the opponents misplayed in them anyway so they didn't make a strong case for your set anyway.

Ok, Caelum, I'll write out another paragraph that shows some drawbacks. Hold it as long as you want, too. Yes, I can see greater UU potential. I managed to set up most of the time when I played New UU. But I am horribly unfamiliar with the UU Metagame(I would like more input.) Thxs for taking out the link for a precaution, I just really wanted to prove it can work.

I like Smeargle because not too much. Zapdos is my favorite poke, but Smeargle's ability to learn everything intrigues me. So, I dedicated myself to find useful Smeargle sets.

Yes, I am totally familar with the top leads. It can potentially beat on average 7/10 leads in my experience. Metagross fuks it with lum berry, that is why I recommended Counter as an another to stop first turn attack moves. It can prevent them from setting up rocks next turn and it can potentially scare metagross away and switch into something else. Although, if one really dont give a shiet, just put down one Spike. Azelf is stuck in that limbo Taunt or Fire Blast, I would fully take it on for the high risk, high reward. A safe way to prevent Jirachi from hurting you is switch of course. Yes, T-Tar, Swampert, Hippodown, Bronzong are crippled. Yes, Infernape and Aerodactyl kills it. Ninjask is no problem actually, It always subs first, just spike first turn and then switch to a phazer or tricker.

Haha, look at all my bs. Good criticism, though.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps Magic Coat as an option for the last slot. It's Smeargle's only way around Taunt and status. Smeargle is useless when Taunted.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Magic Coat doesn't actually bounce back Taunt at all. I recall there was a glitch in shoddy that allowed it to a while back, I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but an option shouldn't be added to an analysis if the only reason it is viable is because of a glitch.

You know, this lead might be more effective if it is at Lv 1. That way, you are ensured that Smeargle will pull its weight, and unless it is facing a Ghost or a Fake Out user, will be guaranteed to bring something down to 12 HP with Endeavor. I don't have much Smeargle experience though, so take my suggestion with a pinch of salt.

Magic Coat doesn't actually bounce back Taunt at all. I recall there was a glitch in shoddy that allowed it to a while back, I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but an option shouldn't be added to an analysis if the only reason it is viable is because of a glitch.

You know, this lead might be more effective if it is at Lv 1. That way, you are ensured that Smeargle will pull its weight, and unless it is facing a Ghost or a Fake Out user, will be guaranteed to bring something down to 12 HP with Endeavor. I don't have much Smeargle experience though, so take my suggestion with a pinch of salt.
Level 1 cuts its speed, allowing to not outrun anything and take any future hits. Thats extreme suicide and will only lay down a one layer of spike or nothing at all since Endeavor would look extremely tempting.

This is a spiker lead, not an Endeaver lead. Why not replace Endeaver with Stealth Rock and just give it Counter?
Good suggestion, I need to test that first. I doubt it would be able to set up Spikes+Stealth Rock though easily and there are many other viable Stealth Rock users. Endeavor ruins a whole lot of things, too. Looks too valuable to give away, but it could be for the better.

cim

Has Magic Coat been tested for bouncing back Taunt in game? I seem to recall that being possible. I'll try it later today.

---
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

[SET]
move 4: ExtremeSpeed/Counter
evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Smeargle can make a fantastic support lead (removed ".") because of its access to Spore and Spikes, which can cripple a good amount of common leads and set up. The strategy is simple: Spore the opposition and then proceed to use Spikes. Spore allows you to cripple slower leads like Swampert and Bronzong and guarantees at least one layer of Spikes. Focus Sash also allows some safety versus faster leads, so it can status a Pokemon with Spore or lay down more Spikes. It is recommended to pair this set with a phazer to allow Spikes damage to accumlate and hinder some threats.</p>

<p>Smeargle's abysmal overall defenses make Endeavor an excellent option; with low HP or the activation of your Focus Sash, Smeargle is able to pummel any opposing foes to the ground(except Ghost-types.) Stall teams are absolutely wrecked by the combo of Spore+Endeavor because of their overall low Speed not being able to outpace Smeargle(excluding Ghost-Types). If used to its maximum potential, this strategy can ruin a good amount of Pokemon.</p>

<p>The last option is up to you. ExtremeSpeed allows Smeargle to finish off any Pokemon who has been hit by Endeavor or revenge kill any weakened Pokemon. Lum Berry Metagross has the potency to ruin this set, (removed "If Lum Berry Metagross leads scare you,") so Counter could be an option to destroy any Metagross that opts to attack it. It can also scare Metagross to switch to another Pokemon, allowing you to Spore or Spike the following turn. Jolly nature and max Speed allow full potential support. Attack EVs are added for maximum (removed ",") revenge-killing power. Hasty nature should be used in tandem with Counter to increase its damage output.</p>

<p>However, this set does have slight drawbacks. Any faster Taunt user(removed "s") like Aerodactyl and Azelf can stop Smeargle from setting up. Fake Out leads like Infernape and Weavile render (removed "s") Focus Sash useless. You should also be wary of Jirachi because of Iron Head flinches. However, the promise of this set should not be ignored.</p>
and um, while one of the mods is uploading this they should consider deleting the complete gimmick "Belly Drum Sweeper" Smeargle from the analysis. It's really easily walled and can get one kill per game at most. Way other options.

cim

That's still there? Lol. Maybe I'll do a Smeargle revamp one of these days; a lot of the sets refer to RSE (for example Obi Mode doesn't work since Explosion doesn't end the turn, etc)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This set is fucking amazing. I have been doing really well for the past three days using it on a crappy team.

Can we like...get it on the site now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)