OU DPP OU Teambuilding Competition

Forgot to close voting again (fair warning, these next couple weeks are probably gonna be busy for me), but cool teams everyone! Voting will close at 11:59 PM GMT - 4 on tuesday May 2nd. Happy Voting! Will put teams in this comment later today.

Congrats to johnnyg2 for winning this week!
https://pokepast.es/6789904ee1aa1017 :Heatran: :Jirachi: :Breloom: :Azelf: :Latias: :Suicune:

This week's theme will be theme with the season of Spring, and also will hopefully give opportunities to build with some cool, underutilitized and underexplored pokemon and/or sets. For this week, you'll be building with Grass Types!
:dp/Breloom: :dp/Roserade: :dp/Abomasnow:

The building deadline will be next week on Tuesday at midnight gmt -4. Happy building!!

https://pokepast.es/d001b1ce0b7493b8
I wanted to build around a lesser seen grass type (literally anything other than breloom) and tangrowth is what stood out to me. Sleep power, good bulk, offensive stats and a nice move pool.
:heatran: - Honestly I just chose specs heatran because I saw a team by mael that has made me love the idea of putting it on a bulkier team with rapid spin. The entire team was built around specs heatran, tangrowth and a spinner
:tangrowth: - Sleep is obviously a broken status, and most people aren't familiar with what tangrowth usually does. This makes it pretty easy to sleep key targets like latias, zapdos or skarm. The evs let it 2hko skarm with hp fire, and also let it deal with gyara a bit better. Tangrowth's coverage is really nice. It is able to switch into offense and wear down important mons such as gyara and dragonite, giving heatran an easier time killing off important breakers that are necessary to break through this team's defensive core.
:donphan: - at first I wanted to use starmie but I ended up going with donphan instead. Tangrowth on its own can't take physical hits forever, so adding donphan gives two overlapping physical checks. Rapid spin is greatly appreciated by both heatran and tangrowth. I decided to not use rocks on this because I felt like it was too difficult to get them up while also staying healthy enough to spin later on.
:jirachi: - Specs latias switches in on all 3 previous pokemon and gets a kill. I had rapid spin so I felt pretty comfortable going with a more defensive set. Fire punch is here primarily to prevent other jirachi from setting up a sub. Specs heatran wears down waters which can let jirachi clean up late game.
:clefable: - Clef does a lot, especially since my only water resist so far is physdef tangrowth, which gets 2hkoed by resisted hydro pumps. Knock + jirachi is obviously extremely strong, encore is here to prevent jirachi from absolutely destroying this team. I also think clef is important since I mixgon can come in on tangrowth and claim kills freely, and I would prefer to not have to play risky prediction games because this team can't really beat mixgon with pure offense.
:latias: - A very necessary fighting resist to limit infernape, breloom and lucario. It also gives a secondary heatran check because I have both jirachi and a choiced heatran. EQ felt necessary to chip jirachi and deal with heatran. Ice beam has good coverage with EQ and grass knot helps a ton against swampert, who can very easily wear down tangrowth.

I just want to add that this team is not the most consistent. It has a really rough matchup against jirachi because heatran doesn't have lefties. I do think the team matches up decently well into stall, sleep + specs tran is amazing as always. Tangrowth does wonders against offense too, and I really want to see better builders try and use this mon.

Decided to go with a double grass for double the fun:

:latias: :breloom: :torterra: :bronzong: :heatran: :rotom-wash:

https://pokepast.es/56b1abcf825da63f

The idea here is to deviate from the standard tran loom build (specs :latias: / cm 3 attacks :jirachi: / dd :tyranitar: / rocks utility :heatran: / mach :breloom: / choice scarf :rotom-wash:) to include double dance torterra. Torterra is nice on this team, as it provides a Ground-type, crucial to switch into choiced electric attacks once latias goes down. Torterra is actually pretty bulky, especially with an occa berry, so it can act as a back up against dd tar/dd gyara/ddnite (provided no ice punch/ice fang and dnite doesnt just go for outrage (not like wood hammer does all that much anyway to dnite) if breloom/rotom-w is insufficient.

This team has a fairly creative way to deal with skarmory, latias, and zapdos, as torterra is completely walled by them and the rock polish set (even with life orb + outrage) is fairly weak for a cleaner. Trick + iron ball zong is an idea I got from anti's post that actually fits pretty well here. it a) tricks the iron orb onto what will be very likely a torterra answer b) sets up rocks so heatran doesnt have to and c) acts a general meat shield until its time to wear down grass answers. If zong fails to trick iron ball onto skarm/they have multiple torterra answers, then we get to plan b, which are what tran and loom are trying to do. Loom with spore and max attack focus punch are highly effective in pressuring skarm, especially without lefties, while tran is really good at trapping latias with its set. Going boomless looks really weird, but this set maximizes Heatran's coverage and doesnt make me too weak to opposing Tran. Lum is nice for dealing with lati twave once i trap it, but I could potentially see shuca too.

Double Dance torterra is a terror if you maintain rocks against HO, as +2 wood hammer hits ridiculously hard and nullifies a common issue ground type sweepers (looking at you gliscor) have w water-types. It flails against dnite and latias, but with the support the team provides, it is possible to deal with them. You have good defensive utility surrounding the team w loom + scarf rotom and i think this team does pretty good for a tran loom.

Hope you enjoy!

Time Travellers
Team Link

I built this team around lead celebi. Lead celebi is a really underrated lead that has some unique boons over other leads.Like having slow U-Turn or how it has natural cure to cure paralysis.
Celebi:The star of the team. U-Turn allows safe switch-in to a rapid spinner or sweeper. Leaf Storm can deal a good amount of damage to neutral targets or tyranitar. Hp Fire is to hit jirachi and metagross leads. And Stealth Rock pressures the opposing team.

Infernape:Helps against swampert with grass knot and hits steel types with Fire Blast. Close combat is to combat Tyranitar since this team gets hit hard by it. U-Turn is for momentum. Max Special Attack is to h

Heatran:It's steel type helps defensively and can really deal out some good damage to scizor. A scarf set could also work here. Flash cannon is to chip or revenge kill tyranitar. Will-o-Wisp is to punish set up sweepers

Starmie:The team's rapid spinner. It's fast, good offensively outside of speen and is the team's water type. Ice beam is to punish dragonite. Thunderbolt is to hit gyrados who foolishly switch into starmie to set up.

Latias:It's bulk is good and it's speed tier is excellent.Surf hits steel types for stupid damage. Calm mind is to set up and potentially sweep unprepared teams. Draco meteor is literally self explanatory. The speed investment is to outspeed starmie

Manoswine:It's this team's check to dragon dance dragonite and is a pretty good revenge killer. Salac berry boosts speed after a hit and a substitute. Stone edge hits gyrados for good damage before it sets up. And Ice shard hits dragonite + flygon for quad priority.

Weaknesses:
Tyranitar still plows through this team if infernape is killed
Hazards can still be a real bummer to deal with

https://pokepast.es/09f86ba4733d3eeb

Celebi is one of my fav grass types (that one celebi pokemon movie tho) so I decided to build around nasty plot celebi.

Icy wind pert lead, was looking to try something new and I find lead pert to do a great job of getting rocks up and applying pressure. It might invite breloom in but celebi is there to take spore and force loom out.

Nasty plot celebi is just really fun, great typing and has rizz

Was considering specs lati but there isnt much need as it would invite in sub rachi. decided to go w lo as its a good set that isnt used very often. hp fire lowering speed by 1 kinda sucks but its a trade off worth taking to deal with steel types.

Infernape because I wanted a breaker so this team isnt walled off by cleff, blissey, skarm etc. Also ape is p good, its stocks have been up lately.

Ddtar of course, cant go wrong with the best sweeper in the tier

Then rotom-h, team is weak to sd lucario so having rotom to revenge kill is helpful. Also in general rotom is a really strong scarfer.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
1684847372469.png

https://pokepast.es/68cf6e3fe0f2c5d4

roserade gets a lot more hate than it deserves these days so i went with it. the coverage it has between grass fire rock is surprisingly hard to switch into for many teams. you catch quite a few dnites, zapdos and gyaras or even gengars who think you're free set up or whatever with a good and strong weather ball and it does quite well into offensive heatrans too. suddenly they're quite easy to get into k.o. range. fucks w a lot of the loom tran teams which generally are a good archetype.

the team is designed to be super offensive. gain an early advantage and be up in the sack game. ttar is preferably going in early rather than late you wanna turn the lategame around 1 of rachi, gliscor, rotom in rare cases ttar. vs defensive teams you have to be aggressive as shit. a wise man once said the best stallbreaker is double switch and the same goes here too. the biggest issue is a skarm at max hp if you're set up for a gliscor sweep so you try and chip that as best as you can with roserade and gliscor.

vs offense this team has a sick mu spread between scarftom, this rachi set, roserade and sd gliscor you've got insane coverage to hit most mons on many teams for very nice chip. biggest issue is not having pursuit for latias which often stops the sd gliscor sweep but between sand and getting a good weather ball or two on it you can often times take it out and sweep w gliscor.

fun team and maybe a different take on roserade as a mon

I'll take a stab at my first team comp with the following:

https://pokepast.es/6fa2f1ac8ae80bbc
:celebi: :tyranitar: :heatran: :donphan: :milotic: :jirachi:

It's not the most creative choice for a grass type, but I've been having a lot of fun with lead Celebi lately and wanted to show this team off.

Celebi is an excellent defensive pivot and lead that compresses rocks and a fighting resist. Donphan supports it really well, and combined with Milotic, my second favorite mon from UU, they form a pretty solid defensive backbone that, working together, can check most of the scary physical threats in the tier.

The main offensive cast takes the form of Bandtar and Specs Heatran, who have great synergy with each other and benefit a lot from that backbone. Donphan can struggle to spin against bulky Rotom even with Assurance to hit frailer ghosts, which Tyranitar alleviates somewhat (despite both of them admittedly hating to be burned). Tar is only running enough speed to outrun any creeping Clefables and some Machamps for a bit of extra insurance against Specs Latias, and because Heatran already takes advantage of Skarm's entry like no tomorrow.

Jirachi checks Lucario seeing as the rest of the team is weak to it, among other general utility things that I probably don't have to mention for the best mon in the tier.

The conceit of all this is keeping up the tremendous offensive pressure from my choice users while allowing them as many opportunities as possible with Donphan's hazard clearing. It has the capacity to play some of the long game if necessary, but much prefers to bring things to a close quicker with its massive breaking power. I owe a lot of this structure to Bruno's team in Week 6 of the past SPL, as it really sold me on the strength of most of these synergies. I hope y'all like this one as it's one of my recent faves.

Gonna close submissions now! I know I'm like a couple weeks late lol. I kept it open since when it was time to close there was only one submission (that and i've been p busy the last couple weeks), but ive got a lot of cool submissions now! Voting will close on June 1st at 11:59 PM -4.

Hi everyone.

With permission from 16bit - I'm taking over hosting duties and starting up the teambuilding competition. I'm very happy to revive this thread and I will do my best to keep it active and fun as much as possible.

1703877692213.png

Let's start with Choice Band Dragonite as this week's highlighted Pokemon. I find this item on Dragonite very interesting and it is rare in today's metagame, so I am curious to see you'll build around it.

Submissions are open now and will close on January 5 2024, at 9 PM GMT+1, and from there we'll move onto voting, which will close on January 15 at 10 PM GMT +1

Have fun building!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)