DPP Ho-oh (Life Orb)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ho-oh

Okay, I have used this... somewhat. It's been a while, so I may need a refresher and a little help on this. Otherwise, I have the "rough draft".

----------

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely
evs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpA / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While the Choice Band set hits hard right off the bat, this Life Orb set allows versatility while still maintaining power. Sacred Fire, Ho-oh's main STAB option, should be used occasionally. It's 8 PP is the only flaw; however, a 50% chance to burn makes it difficult to switch into Ho-oh.</p>

<p>The thing that makes this set very intimidating is the chance of status. On one hand, Ho-oh has a 50% chance to burn a Pokemon and is boosted in sunlight courtesy of Groudon. On the other hand, Thunder's 30% paralysis rate is hard to turn down. Kyogre, a common switch-in to Ho-oh, is easily 2HKOed by Thunder with Stealth Rock in play.</p>

<p>Roost is probably the safest option for this set. It minimizes the effects of passive damage such as Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil and can even allow Ho-oh to tank a few hits. Return is also viable and allows Ho-oh's to 2HKO the Lati@s twins and is Ho-oh's strongest option when its STAB is resisted. Though it is not listed as an option, it is the best filler attack for this set. It can replace Thunder if Kyogre isn't a major concern.</p>

<p>Max Attack is highly recommended to take advantage of Ho-oh's high Attack stat. With Stealth Rock, 44 Special Attack EVs allows Ho-oh to 2HKO 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre with Thunder. The Speed EVs outrun Adamant Tyranitar and the remaining EVs are placed into HP to help maintain Ho-oh's bulk.</p>

recover is much better than roost in my opinion. gaining a ground weakness isn't what Ho-oh wants. However, Roost does eliminate electric weakness so you could maybe mention both of them.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ho-oh

Okay, I have used this... somewhat. It's been a while, so I may need a refresher and a little help on this. Otherwise, I have the "rough draft".

----------

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Roost / Return / Punishment
item: Life Orb
nature: Lonely
evs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpA / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>While the Choice Band set hits hard right off the bat, Life Orb set allows versatility and maintaining power without the side effect of being locked into a move. Sacred Fire, Ho-oh's main STAB, should be used occasionally. It's 8 PP is the only flaw; however, a 50% chance to burn makes it difficult to switch into Ho-oh.</p>

<p>The thing that makes this set very intimidating is the chance of status. On one hand, Ho-oh has a 50% chance to burn a Pokemon and works well in sunlight. On the other hand, Thunder's 30% paralysis rate is hard to turn down. Kyogre, a common switch-in to Ho-oh, is easily 2HKOed by Thunder with Stealth Rock in play.</p>

<p>Roost is probably the safest option in this set. It prevents passive damage such as Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil from weakening Ho-oh. Return is Ho-oh's safest option to 2HKO the Lati twins and is Ho-oh's strongest option when its STAB is resisted. Finally, Punishment can be a powerful attack against Pokemon that are attempting to set-up.</p>

<p>Max Attack is highly recommended to take advantage of Ho-oh's high Attack stat. With Stealth Rock, 44 Special Attack EVs allow Ho-oh to 2HKO 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre with Thunder. The Speed EVs outspeed Adamant Tyranitar at best. Finally, the remaining EVs are placed into HP to help maintain Ho-oh's bulk.</p>
recover is much better than roost in my opinion. gaining a ground weakness isn't what Ho-oh wants. However, Roost does eliminate electric weakness so you could maybe mention both of them.
He says it outspeeds Adamant Tyranitar. As much as I agree with you, Roost is a decent guard against Stone Edge, that way the big dino does less damage to Ho-oh.

What I say is that you should add Reover to the set comments. Good luck - though you are much more competent than some others, a similar set was locked. Good job!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only Ground attack user (Groudon) carries Stone Edge, which hits it harder when in the air. So in reality you're just trading a 400 BP Stone Edge hit for a 300 BP EQ hit with Roost.

I honestly don't think that Punishment deserves a slot on this set; the main focus of this set, unlike the CB or Specs sets, is to sweep, not to dish out hits every time it sneaks in or to have security against boosting sweepers. Furthermore, by going with the less-than-useful Punishment, you are not only left without any form of recovery on a Pokemon obviously critically weak to passive damage, but also a strong neutral Attack usable when you don't want to waste Sacred Fire PP.

Punishment would be good on a scarf set, but taking your opponents hit (assuming we're using punishment on something that has set up), LO damage and probable SR damage without recovery cuts Ho-oh down to one or two switch-ins at most. It's not a useful pokemon if it faints so easily.

Edit: This holds true for return over Roost as well...it's probably not worth it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I find that Return is worth the mention at least. But mostly I've used Roost. So, I don't see why ditching both Return and Punishment is a bad idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)