DP Gliscor

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gliscor

The "standard" set (Physical Wall) is somewhat outdated and I believe that it could use an update.

I believe this set is more useful as nowadays it's very important for Pokemon to reach 280 speed if they can, especially if they're designed to counter lots of Pokemon that hover around there. U-turn, which isn't listed in the standard set, is also a great move in this faster-paced metagame, and allows for a potential free switch-in to gain the advantage.

Note: I've run this set by j7r and he encouraged me to post it ;).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gliscor

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Roost
move 3: U-turn / Ice Fang
move 4: Stealth Rock / Taunt / Knock Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Sand Veil
nature: Impish
EVs: 156 HP / 136 Def / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Gliscor has just the right base stats, movepool, and typing for what it needs to do: counter many physical attackers and support the team at the same time. Its STAB Earthquake 2HKOs Tyranitar and OHKOs Lucario, and also does a decent amount of damage to most fragile switch-ins. U-turn is a very viable option because most of the Pokemon that switch into Gliscor are fast special attackers such as Starmie. You can U-turn out in that turn to both scout out your opponent's team and gain the advantage for that situation. However, Ice Fang hits Salamence super-effectively, and can actually OHKO it if it's suffered Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>Your choice of move for the fourth slot depends on the needs of your team. Stealth Rock is a great option for Gliscor if you lack a Pokemon that knows it in your team. However, if you don't need that, Taunt and Knock Off are also both useful options. Taunt shuts down slower team-supporters such as Hippowdon, and can even stop offensive Pokemon from setting up on you, such as Lucario or Gyarados. On the other hand, Knock Off is a great support option that isn't stopped by Taunt, and can give you insight on what set your opponent is running, as well as possibly ruining their Pokemon in the process. Roost is a must-have for this set; it gets rid of Gliscors 4x Ice weakness and helps keep Gliscor alive throughout the battle.</p>

<p>The 216 Speed EVs grant Gliscor 280 Speed, beating out the fastest non-Scarfed Heatran you will find, as well as any neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon, such as Porygon-Z or Lucario. This is especially helpful in countering the latter, which may carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with Gliscor specifically. The HP and Defense EVs provide for the best overall physical defense.</p>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes for the "other options" section:

I think knock off should be other options, taunt and stealth rock are more useful to gliscor in battles.
Oh yeah, Ice Shard... nevermind the 285 then. 281/2/3?
Stone Edge Gliscor can outspeed and threaten Gyarados, Ice Fang has to switch out.

Move 2 and 3 should be Moves 3 and 4, and Move 4 should be Move 2, so it isn't top heavy, in other words:

2 + 3 < 3 + 4
Move 4 = New Move 2

The set shouldn't be top heavy, so it the move with the most options should be last, then followed up by the move with the second highest option, etc. It has been stated by Great Sage, even though it is unwritten in the rules.

What you use for the third move should be decided by what your team needs.
On the other hand, Knock Off is a great support option that isn't stopped by Taunt, and can give you insight into what set your opponent is running, as well as possibly ruining their Pokemon in the process.
This is especially helpful in countering the latter, which may carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with Gliscor specifically.
The last one was changed because there really isn't an onslaught of Lucario with HP Ice, which aren't SpecsLuke, since it offers less coverage, and the "counters" for Lucario just grow, instead of deplete.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seems pretty good to me. I did notice, when using the old standard set, it didn't prove all that effective. In my brief runthrough I didn't see any nitpicks, though you're not supposed to capitalize the first information part, like Move, Ability, etc.

You aren't but it doesn't make much of a difference though I don't see why you would waste 10 seconds to capitalize them.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
U-turn is a very viable option; because most of the Pokemon that switch into Gliscor are fast special attackers, such as Starmie, you can U-turn out in that turn to both scout out your opponent's team and gain the advantage for that situation.
Remove semi-colon there. That's not how you use it.
Make a new sentence a 'Starmie,' and 'you'.

However, Ice Fang hits Salamence for quadruple damage, and can actually OHKO it if it's suffered Stealth Rock damage.
Quadruple when compared to what? If you're comparing it to Earthquake or U-turn, that would be false. Remove it and replace it with 'super effective'.

What you use for the third move should be decided by what needs your team needs.
First thing, it should be addressed as the fourth move, not third. Second thing is that I don't think starting off a sentence, let alone paragraph, is appealing.

"Your choice of attack for the final slot depends on your team." or something along those lines is better.

If you lack a Pokemon to lay out Stealth Rock, then Gliscor is your Pokemon.
Well, this analysis is for people using Gliscor, so "Gliscor is your Pokemon" isn't needed. Not to mention that MANY other things can SR. Rephrase it to "Stealth Rock is a viable option, especially if you lack a Pokemon that can set them in your team".

However, if you don't need that, Taunt and Knock Off are also both great options.
Needs more modality. Change "great" to "decent" or "viable" imo.

Taunt shuts down slower Pokemon such as Hippowdon that try to set up on you, and can even stop a Gyrarados from rampaging through your team if it switches in thinking you have no way to hurt it.
Ew at the lack of puntuation. I also don't like your sentence at all. You're overcomplicating it on the Gyarados comment too, lol.

"Taunt has the ability to shut down slower Pokemon, particularly those that needs setting up, such as Lucario, or those that support ones team, such as Hippowdon and Forretress."

and can give you insight into what set your opponent is running
"and can give you an insight on what set your opponent may be running"

This is especially helpful in countering the latter, which may carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with Gliscor specifically.
Nope, nope, nope. "Which" is a conjunction that is followed by a statement that supports the former.

"This is especially helpful in countering the latter, although be warned that some carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with Gliscor."

I think knock off should be other options, taunt and stealth rock are more useful to gliscor in battles.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It seems like the only difference between the standard set and this is in the EV spread, something you can distinguish in EVs.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, chris, that's exactly the point. The EV spread needs to be updated on the standard set because this spread is actually useful in today's battling environment.

Sure, taking an extra 5% less or whatever from Heracross is great, but the ability to hit 280 Speed is significantly more important nowadays. The set really isn't anything that is going to break new ground or turn heads, it is just a slight update to the current "Physical Wall" set. Speed is the most important defensive stat, especially in D/P, and not taking advantage of Gliscor's excellent 95 base Speed is really wasting its potential.

I think once the kinks are worked out of this, it should replace the current first set in the analysis.

@ BAM_UR_DEAD: I added a link to the current analysis at the top of your OP. Please follow the proper format next time!!

Would it be possible to list Aerial Ace as an option? Things like SD Facade Heracross are more common than ever, and Gliscor can't counter them effectively without super effective damage. It also provides a reliable attack to hit things like Gengar with.

cim

SD Facade Heracross takes some 30-odd percent from Earthquake, combine that with burn damage and you'll get an almost-dead Heracross. Worth a mention.

U-Turn seems slightly inferior to Ice Fang if you ask me. Sacrificing coverage to do damage to a switch-in as you run away doesn't seem worth it to me, especially with Salamence everywhere, which if you get in on a Brick Break instead of a DD or Draco Meteor lets you KO it.

Heh, with 20% evasion there's only a 72% chance of death by Draco Meteor if Ice Fang misses, meaning a net chance of losing of around 3.5% or so in this situation.

Perhaps run 285 Speed for Mamoswine / other things aiming for 280 Speed?

I don't think there is anything wrong with this other than using Stone Edge over Ice Fang. It's really a good set nice EV spread and i think i'm going to use this set as my standard Gliscor set. I just have 1 question, why ice fang. Stone Edge is for more coverage.

Ice Fang was needed for Chomp, he's gone now so that only gives it coverage to salamence and dragonite most notably. Stone Edge in the other hand can hurt some Ice Type pokemon that switches in or that are slower, and also hurts Gyarados switch ins.

I don't know im not a pokemon expert, but i think Stone Edge over Ice Fang would be a better idea, though it doesn't have good accuracy, it's alot better.

(Sorry if i suck at english >_<)

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stone Edge will do enough damage to Salamence and Dragonite; Ice Fang was not an OHKO on either of them anyhow.

Why would you run 285 speed for Mamoswine, when you're most likely going to take either an Ice Shard or an Avalanche, neither of which cares about speed?

cim

Ice Fang is a OHKO with Stealth Rock, and has a chance to with LO recoil. Better accuracy too. Stone Edge is more general, Ice Fang is more specific.

The argument "Stone Edge is better becuase it hits Ice type Pokémon!" is completely ireelavent as there are no Ice Pokémon in OU.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stone Edge Gliscor can outspeed and threaten Gyarados, Ice Fang has to switch out.

With Lucario getting Ice Punch now, Gliscor almost has to outspeed it. So 280 would be the lowest speed I'd ever run. With no attack EVs, it can OHKO a full-health Luke with EQ. Those who are more brave can run a Jolly set with 308 speed and Swords Dance.

I've made most of those edits. Some parts such as the "This is especially helpful in countering the latter, although be warned that some carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with Gliscor." edit you want me to make just tend to make it more wordy, when in reality they mean exactly the same thing. I looked it up, and using "which" is just as specific (or anonymous) towards Lucario as "although..some" is. If the general consensus thinks the wording is wrong/weird, though, I'll change it.

These additions are interesting, and would be great for "other options", but unfortunately I can only do that if I'm writing up the entire analysis. However, I'll edit them into another section in the OP so that when this is edited into the site, the "other options" part can be changed accordingly. I'm pretty sure it'll have to be changed soon, as there are two more analyses in a recently-posted Gliscor peer edit, and that section will have to be accommodated for them as well.

Oh, and thanks for editing the link in j7r, I completely forgot about that. I had a nagging feeling I'd missed something..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)