DP Drifblim

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Saw this in the creative moveset thread, offered to make a peer edit since it's a very nice set.

Drifblim Analysis

[SET]
name: Calm Mind Rest
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Rest
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Baton Pass
item: Chesto Berry
ability: Unburden
nature: Modest
evs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 124 SpA / 32 SpD / 88 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set plays out pretty simply: Bring out Driftblim on something that isn't much of a threat (Choiced Ground, Normal or Fighting attacks are a bonus) and proceed to Calm Mind. Continue to do so in the face of an offensive threat not strong enough to bring you down; then proceed to Rest. Not only does this restore Drifblim's HP, but also doubles its Speed due to Unburden. Drifblim can then sweep with 418 Speed and a boosted high Special Attack.</p>

<p>There are a few options for the last move. The one you use depends on personal preference and what your team needs. Hidden Power Fighting coupled with Shadow Ball is resisted by nothing. Baton Pass allows Drifblim to pass the Calm Mind boosts to a more potent special sweeper. Thunderbolt is an option if you decide to use this set in OU play because it hits common Roar users like Skarmory and Suicune.</p>

<p>The purpose of the EVs is to make Drifblim as bulky as possible while retaining its heavy hitting power. The defensive EVs make Steelix's Stone Edge a 3HKO, so unless it carries Roar Drifblim can set up on it. The Speed EVs allow Drifblim to outspeed Scarfed Jynx and Sharpedo after the Unburden boost.</p>

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think Mantine deserves as much credit as you're giving, unless it carries Haze it's not slowing you down. Mantine will fire off weak attacks which will be doing less and less damage after Calm Mind, while if it tries to utilize Toxic you can Rest off the status anyway. I don't really see Mantine that much in UU, but you've obviously used this set so I'll put trust in your opinion.

Anyway, "rest" (paragraph one) should be capitalized, "Rest".

Looks like a nice set, though.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, thanks Havak. Made a few changes to de-emphasize Mantine a little, Haze is still pretty annoying and imo deserves at least a quick mention.

You call Cacturne common in UU, but it's actually #51 according to August statistics. Thunderbolt is just a bad idea in general, as Mantine is relatively uncommon in UU, and Haze Mantine is even less common. Without HP Fighting you're walled by two of the top 3 Pokemon (admittedly Clefable can't do much back, and can be hurt by Thunderbolt), and over 50% of Steelix carries Roar.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just dump Thunderbot entirely, IMO. You don't even need to threaten Mantine, as Haze Mantine is more uncommon than Mantine herself according to the stats.

Ghost / Fighting has perfect coverage; few Ghost resists aren't weak to it. When you can get perfect coverage in two moves, you should always go for it.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Yea I have no problems with ditching Thunderbolt, it's done. Do you think it's worth mentioning in the set comments? I'm on the fence since it doesn't seem like it does much good.

Not sure to be honest; personally I would only consider it for OU use simply because otherwise Skarmory and Suicune will come in for free and just phaze you out, as they take laughable damage otherwise. Suicune will still beat you anyway if it has Roar, and if it doesn't you can just set up on it and beat it with Shadow Ball. Skarmory is more of an issue, but not enough to really warrant losing Hidden Power Fighting's far superior coverage. Scaring off Pursuit users is another massive plus.

I'm less sure about UU play as I have much less experience in the tier, but seeing as Steelix is so common, it seems a much more reliable option than Thunderbolt. I would be inclined to leave it out of the set comments.

I was going to write this up in a couple o' days. Oh well, saved me a job :P

": Bring" Should it be capitilized? Not 100% sure..but yeah.

"Not only does this restore Drifblim's HP, but also doubles its Speed due to Unburden."
Sounds better.

"Hidden Power Fighting coupled with Shadow Ball is resisted by nothing."
Changed it about a bit, removed commas.

Nice work though! :)

Jimbo

take me anywhere
Thanks guys! Added in your changes along with a blurb about Thunderbolt in OU, though I'm wondering if "phazer" shouldn't be used in an analysis. In the setence regarding Thunderbolt I said "Roar users" instead of phazers since I wasn't sure if phazer is allowed.

Also Twash, I believe the first word after a colon is capitalized, I'm not positive either though.

I would suggest giving it slightly more speed EVs, so it could outrun CS Jynx / Sharpedo - you'll need 88 EVs for that (assuming HP Fighting). It's best to have -at least- 60 speed EVs to outrun common rain dancers like Omastar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)