DP Dragonite .

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I remembered using this set earlier on, sometime at the beginning or end of last year, and I found it very effective for taking out majority of leads, as well as revenge killing.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Outrage
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Fire Blast
Move 4: Ice Beam / Draco Meteor
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Spe / 74 SpA
Nature: Naughty / Lonely

[SET COMMETS]
<p>With a wide range of attacks at its disposal, Dragonite can make an excellent revenge killer. Ice Beam and Fire Blast can OHKO or 2HKO the majority of leading Pokemon while Earthquake hit Pokemon that takes less damage from the former two. Only Weavile and Bronzong will give you issues, OHKOing you and putting you to sleep respectively.</p>

<p>On this set, Thunderbolt and Draco Meteor can both work, the latter being a lot more useful however. Thunderbolt is only recommended if Gyarados gives your team some trouble; Draco Meteor if you want to hit many Pokemon as hard as possible without relying too much on prediction.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf solves the problem of Dragonite's somewhat lack of speed, and combined with the given EVs, Dragonite can outspeed base 115 Speed Pokemon, assuming they do not have a Choice Scarf themselves.</p>

<p> Due to its increased speed, this Dragonite can effectively revenge kill majority of threats in this Metagame, such as Garchomp and Lucario, as well as serving as a speedy lead. Its immunity and resistance to Ground and Fighting-type attacks gives it many chances to switch in. Wish support is recommended to accompany this Dragonite in order to neutralize the threat of Stealth Rock. Dragonite can OHKO and 2HKO the most common walls without a boost, something which other Choice Scarf users (such as Garchomp) lack the capacity to do.</p>

<p>Naughty and Lonely is the most useful nature for this Dragonite, maximizing your attacking capabilities. However, Naive can also be useful in order to outspeed additional threats. 252 / 176 Spe / 80 SpA allows you to outspeed all Pokemon with a base Speed of 130, assuming they aren't packing a Choice Scarf of their own.</p>

----------

Thank you jababa for the new set :D

<p>With a wide range of attacks at its disposal, Dragonite can make an excellent anti-lead and revenge killer. Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Fire Blast can OHKO and 2HKO majority of leading Pokemon while Dragon Claw hits the more Special defensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon that take neutral damage from attacks mentioned above, namely Gengar and Azelf. Only Tyranitar will give you trouble, as a 2HKO isn’t certain, and Weavile, as it will OHKO you.</p>

<p>Another problem with Dragonite as a whole is that it lacks a good Speed stat, with a base Speed of 80. Choice Scarf solves this problem in an instant, allowing Dragonite to outspeed base 120 Pokemon.</p>

<p> Due to its now high speed, Dragonite can effectively revenge kill the majority of threats in the game, such as Garchomp and Lucario. Its resistance to Ground and Fighting will allow Dragonite to continually switch into certain Pokemon and threaten it, although its part Flying should be taken account of as it is, therefore, weak to Stealth Rock. A Pokemon with Wish is recommended to accompany Dragonite.</p>

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest I don't see this set working that well as a lead. It doesn't really accomplish that much and at the same time you spoil the surprise of scarf which is really the best thing this set has going for it :/

Scarf Dragonite however is still amazing and should definitely be in the analysis. The set I personally found to be the most successful was Eq/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Outrage. EQ is good for revenge killing Infernape without locking yourself in and for taking out Heatran and I don't really see Tbolt getting a whole lot of use.

Sorry if I seem like I'm breaking your balls today heh

junior

is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
It's fine Jabba I still love you all the same. :heart: Analysis edits are supposed to be on honest thing. Do you mind posting your set? I'd like to see it and make it better.

Yeah, I don't think Thunderbolt has much use other than OHKOing Gyarados (thus 'Anti-lead').

KD: Ok.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gyarados is dying off as a lead though. Most common leads lately are Bronzong and the Suicidal Setups (azelf, aero, etc) against both of which Dragonite really doesn't accomplish anything more than a normal lead would.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/184 Spd/74 SAtk
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I remembered using this set earlier on, sometime at the beginning or end of last year, and I found it very effective for taking out majority of leads, as well as revenge killing.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

[SET]
Name: Scarf Dragonite
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Outrage / Dragon Claw
Nature: Naughty

<p>With a wide range of attacks at its disposal, Dragonite can make an excellent anti-lead and revenge killer. Ice Beam and Fire Blast can OHKO and 2HKO majority of leading Pokemon while Dragon Claw and Earthquake hits Pokemon that takes neutral or less damage from the two mentioned above. Only Weavile and Bronzong give you trouble, as you are KOed and Hypnotized respectively.</p>

<p>Another problem with Dragonite is that base 80 speed isn't outstanding. Choice Scarf solves this problem in an instant, allowing this Dragonite to outspeed base 115 Pokemon (be specific if you can beat them with a boosting nature or not).</p>

<p> Due to its improved speed, this anti-lead Dragonite can effectively revenge kill majority of threats in this Metagame, such as Garchomp and Lucario. Its resistance to Ground and Fighting will allow Dragonite to switch in relatively easily, although its Stealth Rock weakness should be taken into account. A Wish supporter is recommended to accompany this Dragonite.</p>

<p>If immunities and useful resists aren't enough, ScarfNite should be considered over Scarfchomp for certain reasons such as their movepool and base stats. Dragonite can OHKO and 2HKO the most common walls without a boost, which is what ScarfChomp lacks.</p>

----------

Thank you jababa for the new set :D
I don't agree with that last part, because Mixed Garchomp with Draco Meteor can do so also. I do prefer Dragonite for that role though. Anyway, I like the set, just fixed the wording.

Ice Beam isn't need, I would go with Dragon Pulse or Draco Meter in a heart beat.

EQ is not a bad filler move but I would hardly ever see myself using it.

so basically Jabba's set minus Ice Beam for Dragon Pulse/Draco Meter.

To be honest I don't see this set working that well as a lead. It doesn't really accomplish that much and at the same time you spoil the surprise of scarf which is really the best thing this set has going for it :/

Scarf Dragonite however is still amazing and should definitely be in the analysis. The set I personally found to be the most successful was Eq/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Outrage. EQ is good for revenge killing Infernape without locking yourself in and for taking out Heatran and I don't really see Tbolt getting a whole lot of use.

Sorry if I seem like I'm breaking your balls today heh
In that set you cant revenge kill a gyara and are almost walled by bulky waters then again you shouldnt be taking them on but still boltbeam provides some awsome coverage I ran scarf dnight with

tbolt/icebeam/EQ/outrage and it worked out pretty good for me ^^

I've been using Scarfnite for a while (long before I knew this forum existed) and if there's anything I know it's that you shouldn't be comparing him to Scarfchomp. Scarfchomp is less revenge killer and more threat which powers through things via brute force thanks to outspeeding the majority of the field. Scarfnite works a lot more like Scarftran.

Scarfnite's best assests imo are that it outspeeds certain pokes that assume they _know_ they outspeed him. All unboosted Gyra, Specs/DDMence and Scarftran for obvious examples. His biggest downside is that he isn't as easy to switch in as Scarftran.

Moveset is tricky and I haven't really found anything that works enough that I think it's the best. It really comes down to what your team wants.

*Ice Beam appears awesome for revenge killing dragons and other things who assume to be faster than you, but you lose out to any other dragon who's scarfed or boosted limiting it's actual uses. Outside of that Ice Beam allows you to hurt fliers and ground/rocks which is good and all but there are other options to cover those.
*TBolt is great for Gyra while hitting all fliers and all bulky waters that try to wall you, which is important as you don't have access to grass knot. TBolt actually overlaps a lot with Ice Beam, to the extent that I've been toying with Ice-Beam-less sets lately. Bolt/Beam is great and all but on the slowest of dragons Beam sees a lot less use. Additionally on any grass you would use it on...
*You can just Flamethrower/Fireblast which is probably mandatory in my book as it's the only way to punish Bronzong for switching into you (who is far too omnipresent at the moment.) Conveniently it also takes down skarm metagross luke scizor yanmega ninjask regice abomasnow celebi shaymin breloom and others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
*Eq is great for steels (meta, luke, etc) but most are already covered by a fire move. The big reasons to use Eq are Heatran and TTar. If your team can handle them fine (ie you have chomp on your team) you can free up the Eq slot which really helps.
*Surf is an interesting option which is a lot better than it appears if you aren't packing Eq. Surf+Flamethrower+TBolt let's you hit a lot of stuff hard. It's also a far more forgiving move to use on Heatran.
*Meteor without EQ is great as it allows you to pump spatk, but you need a way of dealing with special walls elsewhere on your team. Focus Punch is great if you're planning hit walls on the switch. Otherwise Outrage is great but you basically die if you predict wrong.

Again I haven't really settled on a list but that's just some food for thought. I think Scarfnite is (more than most) a poke whos movelist really depends on what the rest of your team is.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
most bulky waters, even if they're tilted towards def, probably take more from outrage than tbolt. i'd have to calc that to make sure though.

and most gyarados are running max speed (adamant) these days which requires a +speed nature to outspeed after a DD. i just don't think a +speed nature is worth it in the longrun. junior could always mention the possibility in the set comments though.

If we're discussing ScarfNite in general and not just leads, this is what I found to be pretty successful.

Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Inner Focus
172 Spe / 220 Atk / 112 SpA
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Earthquake / Thunderbolt

Draco Meteor is handy for revenge-killing things like Infernape and Azelf without locking yourself in to Outrage or without being forced to run a super-effective attack (Earthquake for Infernape, for example). Outrage is useful for late-game sweeps, as well as Blissey. The rest of the moves are pretty self-explanatory.

junior

As it seems that people acknowledge that Draco Meteor can indeed work well on ScarfNite, I will give it a mention along side Ice Beam.

Dragonite's movepool is so huge, and yes I think it's true that it comes down to your team, but I'm not going to make an analsysis with full of slashes, so I'll see what 2-3+ people recommend. :<

At this stage, it seems Fire Blast and Outrage are a must, so I will keep them free from slashes.

I would like more input on Thunderbolt, however.

Thanks everyone.

This is a very effective set. I've used it with great success, only as the recipient of agility and swords dance passes. Same basic idea- outspeed stuff and slaughter.

I've never had any issues with the straight up omission of ice beam for DM. I never even considered it on this set til I saw this analysis, actually, since DM works so well.

[SET]
Name: Scarf Dragonite
Move 1: Outrage
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Fire Blast
Move 4: Draco Meteor / Ice Beam
Nature: Naughty

<p>Another problem with Dragonite as a whole is that it lacks good a Speed stat, with a base Speed of 80. Choice Scarf solves this problem in an instant, allowing this Dragonite to [/b]outspeed base 115[/b]Pokemons.</p>
you might want to note that this thing will out speed ALL base 115s WITHOUT a Scarf of their own, because right now, you don't know wether you can beat them with a +nature, which you can

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
<p>With a wide range of attacks at its disposal, Dragonite can make an excellent anti-lead and revenge killer. Ice Beam and Fire Blast can OHKO and 2HKO majority of leading Pokemon while Draco Meteor, Outrage and Earthquake hit Pokemon that take less damage from the two former moves. Weavile and Bronzong can give you issues, OHKOing you and putting you to sleep respectively.</p>

<p>. Choice Scarf solves the problem of Dragonite's somewhat lacking base Speed stat, allowing it to outspeed base 115 Pokemon (assuming they do not carry Choice Scarf themselves.</p>

<p>Due to its increased Speed, this anti-lead Dragonite can effectively revenge kill many threats in this metagame, such as Garchomp and Lucario. Its immunity and resistance to Ground and Fighting-type attacks respectively allow it many chances to switch in. Wish support is recommended to accompany this Dragonite in order to neutralize the threat of Stealth Rock. Dragonite can OHKO and 2HKO the most common walls without a boost, something which other Choice Scarf users (such as Garchomp) lack the capacity to do.</p>

<p>Naughty is the most useful nature for this Dragonite, maximizing your attacking capabilities. However, Naive can also be useful in order to outspeed additional threats. 252 Atk, 176 Spe and 80 SpA allows you to outspeed all Pokemon with a base Speed or 130, assuming they aren't packing a Choice Scarf of their own.</p>
Just a few fixes to remove some of the awkwardness in the analysis. Be careful not to repeat yourself. :)

Lonely definitely deserves a mention, since with Naughty you are removing one of its strengths over the other Dragons: the ability to take special hits. It has 100 Base SpD, 15 and 20 more over Garchomp and Salamence respectively. I've never had a chance to use this set to be honest, but I've used a lot of Dragonite sets, so I know that in order to use it you must have an advantage over the other Dragons.

Obviously Naughty has advantages as well, since you have a better chance of living an Ice Shard, but with Stealth Rock being so prevalent, Ice Shards will kill it anyways. And the only one it even has a chance of living is Donphans; Mamoswine and Weavile kill it either way.

Nice set, add the changes Kirbstomp edited and it'll be just about ready I'd say.

Why is Ice Beam mentioned, what exactly does Ice Beam hit? The only Pokemon I could see it being useful for is Zapdos or Hippowdon (so you don't have to lock yourself into Outrage/Draco Meteor), both of which can be Draco Meteor'd on the switch then are forced to recover, allowing for a free switch-in.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
You just basically explained why. You give Pokemon like Zapdos and Hippowdon (gliscor is the biggest reason for Ice Beam though) that chance to recover. I don't know about you but I'd much rather see those Pokemon extremely weakened than at 100% health

In the time they take to recover, you can easily send in something truly threatening to set up. Free turns are hard to get in DP, why do you think Blissey rarely runs Aromatherapy? I'd gladly take the opportunity for Azelf to Nasty Plot up against a Roosting Zapdos.

But I do see its merits, so I guess it should be an option. However, Thunderbolt also should be an option for Dragon Danced Gyarados.

Thunderbolt is only useful for Gyarados though. Suicune, Milotic and Vaporeon don't really care about it. There's no guarantee you even outrun Gyarados, since a lot of people are running faster and more offensive DD sets.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ice Beam and Fire Blast can OHKO or 2HKO a majority of leading Pokemon, while Draco Meteor, Outrage and Earthquake hit Pokemon that take less damage from the former two. (Deleted) Weavile and Bronzong will give you issues by OHKOing you or putting you to sleep respectively.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf remedies the problem of Dragonite's low speed. Combined with the given EVs, Dragonite can outspeed positive natured base 115 Speed Pokemon, assuming they do not have a Choice Scarf themselves.</p>

<p> Due to its increased speed, this anti-lead Dragonite can effectively revenge kill a majority of threats in the Overused Metagame, such as Garchomp and Lucario. Its immunity to Ground and resistance to Fighting-type attacks give Dragonite many chances to switch in. Wish support is recommended in order to neutralize damage taken from Stealth Rock. Dragonite can OHKO or 2HKO the most common walls without a boost, something that other Choice Scarf users (such as Garchomp) lack the capacity to do.</p>

<p>Naughty and Lonely are the most useful natures for this Dragonite, allowing Dragonite to hit hard from both ends of the spectrum. However, Naive can (deleted) be useful in order to outspeed additional threats. 252 Atk / 176 Spe / 80 SpA with a Speed boosting nature allows Dragonite to outspeed all Pokemon with a base Speed of 130, assuming they aren't packing a Choice Scarf of their own.</p>
Fixed some strange wording and various other errors.

junior

Edited.

Thank you to BK especially for revising so much :heart:

Steller: I took some changes but some others were unnecessary (like throwing 'a' everywhere when isn't needed). Also when people state 'base XXX', they generally mean with positive nature unless mentioned otherwise. Also since Dragonite is OU, mentioning of 'the overused' also becomes unnecessary etc.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Actually, before the word 'majority' you do need 'a' or 'the'. The other things you mentioned were just for clarification. Dragonite could be outspeeding neutral base 115s. I just think it would just be better if it was clearer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)