Downpour of Pain (OU Rain Team)

Hello everyone! I'm a pretty new poster here, and this is my first RMT, so sorry in advance if i screw up or leave anything out. Anyways, lets get into the team.

Fo' Drizzle (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

It wouldn't be much of a rain team without Politoed, now would it? Though most people tend to run a specially bulky set, I thought I would switch it up and put a scarf on Politoed. It makes a good lead, as most people don't expect it to be scarfed, and it OHKO's common leads such as Breloom and Garchomp, provided they don't carry a sash.

Cunt (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Something I noticed while making this team was that it had a crippling weakness to bulky dragon types such as Banded Dragonite and Kyurem-Black. I played around with Ferrothorn, but he generally became set-up fodder. So, I tested out Jirachi, and it worked surprisingly well. Jirachi not only walls practically all dragon moves, but also can inflict paralyzation to cripple Scarfed Salamance and other fast sweepers and proceed to paraflinch it to death. On top of all this, Jirachi can pass 202 HP wishes to anyone in nee.

Clap Dat Ass (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

A rain team would not be complete without a 100% accuracy Thunder abuser, and I felt Thundurus-T fit the role perfectly. He is generally my lead, as I can scout using volt switch. I like the expert belt, as it feints the choice item. There have been countless times where my opponent has switched a ground type (i.e. Gastrodon) into the assumed choice-locked Thunder, just to be ohko'd by grass knot. The electric immunity is also nice, as it allows Thundurus-T to switch into an electric attack with stealth rocks up and get back to full HP.

Thirsty Ho (Toxicroak) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Atk / 120 Def / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Toxicroak was practically made for Rain Teams. The combination of Dry Skin and black sludge allows for 18% HP recovery every turn. This, in combination with drain punch, keeps Toxicroak at a healthy HP almost constantly. Switch him into Keldeo (who he walls completely), or any bulky water type pokemon, and proceed to set up. A +2 sucker punch OHKO's Choiced Latios, and drain punch handles basically anything else.

Chuck Norris (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Introducing one of the best revenge killers in the OU metagame. Though you might wonder why I'd use a scarf over specs on something so naturally fast, I have good reasons. Latios's high base speed, along with a scarf, allows it to counter and KO common scarf users, including Salamance, Garchomp, and Keldeo. Surf is there for the rain boost and to hit steel types pretty hard. I included trick as the final move to cripple a wall such as Blissey or Ferrothorn.

critmepl0x (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Rest
- Toxic

And now, for the MVP of my team. Vaporeon is an absolute beast, and is quite possibly the best toxic staller in the entire metagame. Max HP and defense help patch up Vaporeon's physical bulk, allowing him to take 3 unboosted Close Combat's from Lucario and Infernape. The combination of hydration and rest allow Vaporeon to heal up completely without the negatives of sleep and prevent Vaporeon from being toxic stalled itself. Protect is there for extra turns of toxic damage, and for leftovers recovery if it is needed to get off another rest. Barring crits or STAB thunders, Vaporeon is practically unkillable.

The Team:

Well that covers everything! Let me know what I changes I can make, and let me know how I can make these RMT's better, as this is my first one. Thanks!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd watch out for Sub CM Jirachi which can come in on stuff like Jirachi, Politoed, Latios and nail something with Psyshock/Thunder while being able to set up a Sub + CM fairly easily. Your team looks pretty solid but I'd just make a few minor tweaks to cover those weaknesses a bit.

Having 252 spe / 252 hp Jolly Jirachi as your only Dragon response isn't very reliable. If you're going the parasupport route then I'd suggest running more Special Defense with just enough EVs to outspeed Jolly Breloom -- that's really all you need to beat. Things like LO / Specs Latios can rip up Jirachi pretty easily especially under rain; I'm fairly certain that Surf 2HKOes in Rain.

Try Encore over Focus Blast on Politoed. Encore can save you against CM Jirachi, and also has its uses against other set-up pokemon such as Sub CM Latias or BP NP Celebi who you can't kill straight up either. Nothing on your team can damage Celebi that hard, with Thundurus-T's HP Ice and Latios's Draco Meteor being your strongest attacks against a primarily specially defensive Pokemon. At least with Encore you can prevent it from passing to something threatening like a Keldeo who would be painful to switch in at +2 with rain, even if you have Toxicroak and Latios.

Jirachi -> Careful 252 hp / 32 spe / 224 sdef
Politoed -> Encore > Focus Blast

Good luck with this team, hope I helped.

EDIT: THChikorita I'm not sure where I implied anything about what Jirachi set the opponent is going expect ?_? Scarf is pretty easy to scout for considering the lack of Leftovers recovery as well as the types of Pokemon that Jirachi switches in on. I'm just saying he has a Sub CM Jirachi weakness -- never implied anything else lol.

Last edited:
I'd watch out for Sub CM Jirachi which can come in on stuff like Jirachi, Politoed, Latios and nail something with Psyshock/Thunder while being able to set up a Sub + CM fairly easily. Your team looks pretty solid but I'd just make a few minor tweaks to cover those weaknesses a bit.

Having 252 spe / 252 hp Jolly Jirachi as your only Dragon response isn't very reliable. If you're going the parasupport route then I'd suggest running more Special Defense with just enough EVs to outspeed Jolly Breloom -- that's really all you need to beat. Things like LO / Specs Latios can rip up Jirachi pretty easily especially under rain; I'm fairly certain that Surf 2HKOes in Rain.

Try Encore over Focus Blast on Politoed. Encore can save you against CM Jirachi, and also has its uses against other set-up pokemon such as Sub CM Latias or BP NP Celebi who you can't kill straight up either. Nothing on your team can damage Celebi that hard, with Thundurus-T's HP Ice and Latios's Draco Meteor being your strongest attacks against a primarily specially defensive Pokemon. At least with Encore you can prevent it from passing to something threatening like a Keldeo who would be painful to switch in at +2 with rain, even if you have Toxicroak and Latios.

Jirachi -> Careful 252 hp / 32 spe / 224 sdef
Politoed -> Encore > Focus Blast

Good luck with this team, hope I helped.
I disagree. When a Jirachi shows up, they will expect a scarf, and switch out. But yeah, sub-calm-mind, rachi is bad news. Other than that, good team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)