Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
guess who forgot that the deadline was 3 hours ago

Sorry for the delay! Anyways, this week's winner is Lanueba! His team will be featured on the hall of fame and his vote will count for double in future rounds.

For this week, we'll be building around: Mega Gengar

One of the more underused megas, but still a good pick in the metagame, Mega Gengar has the niche of being a good trapper with Shadow Tag while still being good offensively. It's time we took advantage of the presence its trapping game brings!

GET BUILDING

Deadline is on Thursday, Noon GMT

ps: pls don't put images in your hide tags it takes ages to c/p if you do

Last edited:
So a plain semi perish trap team was a bit too boring in my opinion so I decided to build something cooler, the team is based around trapping pokemon and chipping away their health slowly while making their stats super weak.I present:

Royal Burn Stall

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Pulse

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 44 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 184 SpA / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge bomb
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Now we had to start with mega gengar so yea. He is a really powerful pokemon because of his ability shadow tag, solid speed and special attack and ok support moves. Now I chose this particular set because I wanted gengar to be able to stick around and create chaos. Will-O-Wisp is a great move to burn physical attackers and make them super weak. Substitute so gengar can stay out on the feel a lot and switching between protect + sub can be key in taking out a specific threat. Protect is Protect. I chose Sludge bomb because I don't have the best match up against faries. The EV's are pretty simple max speed so I can be super fast and be able to move first and the hp because I want gengar to stay around a while.

Salamence @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Pulse

Salamence is here because it has intimidate and ok bulk so it can help out trapping physical attackers and because with a choice specs it deals solid damage, salamence can come in intimidate a trapped pokemon and then nuke the partner. I choose to use 2 dragon type moves because Draco Meteor nukes things but sometimes I need salamence to stay there and do consistent damage. Fire blast is a solid coverage move. Stone Edge because it KO's charizard even with timid nature. I ran max special attack because I want to deal a lot of damage and max speed with timid so in worse case scenario I speed tie with other base 100's.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 44 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Scrafty is a bulky pokemon that can take hits and it has intimidate which is crucial to this team, It really doesn't deal much damage but it's here mainly to support with Fake out, Snarl and Knock Off. Fake out is a really solid move so yea. Snarl helps to lower special attack so I can also lock special attackers. Drain punch so I can hit steels and regain health. Knock off to knock off items and for ghost types like aegislash. 172 attack EV's so scrafty does some damage but he isn't really here to deal damage. 40 speed EV's so I usually outspeed most base 60's. 252 hp for max hp and the 44 def EV's with an impish nature to give a solid physical defense bulk. Assault Vest makes scrafty really tanky in the special side so I didn't invest EV's in SpD.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Protect

Keldeo is here to deal damage. Hydro Pump with Life orb hits really strong and secret sword nails steel types. Taunt so I can trap support pokemon and then focus all my efforts on the other pokemon. Standard EV's max Special attack and max speed because it's the best spread. Also Keldeo is part of my FWG core.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn is a defensive tank, with a solid typing it can sit on the field and become and win condition in a lot of games. Ferrothorn can come in set up leech seed when other pokemon are trapped and weakened and just win the game. Power whip and gyro ball for stabs that deal nice damage. Leech Seed helps ferro stay in the field a lot and chips down the health of trapped pokemon. Protect is Protect. Lum berry so I can hit rotom-W without worrying about burn, etc. The EV spread is ray rizzo's early vgc spread that I really like. 252 hp for bulk, 204 attack nails rotom-W and 52 special def to help ferro on the special defensive side.

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 184 SpA / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom-H is my favorite rotom form and it helps this team deal with things such as sun, steel types, grass types,etc. Overheat and thunderbolt for solid stabs that can nail sun cores paired with mega gengar. Will-O-Wisp to burn physical attackers which is one of the main things this team does. Protect is Protect. Safety goggles to help vs sun teams and to have another switch in to sleep. 252 hp for max bulk, 4 speed to outspeed 0 speed rotoms and 48 def and 20 SpD hit some benchmarks I can't remember(sorry old heat spread ;-;)

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Double Kick
- Protect

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Snarl

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Protect

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Protect

I knew immediately I wanted to use Mega Gengar + Terrakion because they are a fearsome core together, trapping and KOing loads of pokemon due to their speed and power.

I knew I needed a Landorus-T check if the core was to function properly, as it can outspeed and KO both Mega Gengar and Terrakion in one shot. Zapdos fit the bill well because it also helped with a slight Talonflame weakness, provided a good check to Shaymin-Sky, and learnt Tailwind, to aid vs Rain and scarfed pokemon.

It was at this point I decided to go full Tailwind, and Suicune was my choice of second setter. It provided a Water resist to help vs Rain, Snarl to make special attackers weaker and another solid Landorus-T check as well as a Dragon check with Ice Beam.

Now that I had a good trapping core and pokemon to patch up any weaknesses I had and provide speed control, I decided to dedicate the last two slots towards dealing major damage by abusing the fact that Gengar traps and beats a wide variety of pokemon. Hydreigon was the obvious choice here, as I got an Aegislash check and a way to abuse Fairy types being beaten by spamming its STABs. It also loves Tailwind support to remove the speed issue.

My last addition was Heatran, as it provided me with a good counter to Sun leads (Zard Y and Veunsaur), while beating Amoonguss, which I had an issue with. It also likes the fact that Rock types and Heatran are beaten by Terrakion + Mega Gengar, as it can spam its strong Fire type STAB with more ease.

Mega Gengar is the standard set with max speed and special attack to deal as much damage as possible and beat as many pokemon while it was out. I chose Will O Wisp over other moves like Taunt, Substitute etc. because I was lacking a form of attack control and I have a decent matchup vs Trick Room.

Terrakion is also pretty standard, with max attack and speed as well as life orb to get the OHKO on Kangaskhan and deal lots of damage. I opted for double kick because I wanted to have an easier time with Sash Bisharp which could be annoying if Mega Gengar was out too.

Zapdos is also the dex set, with enough speed to outspeed Jolly Breloom and set up a Tailwind or pick it off before it is spored. Hidden Power Ice is for Landorus-T as I feel that is a larger threat than pokemon like Ferrothorn.

Suicune is standard as well, with lots of bulk and Snarl to disrupt opposing special attackers and set up Tailwind mulitple times throughout the match. I usually opt for Hydro Pump over Scald but this time I wanted to be able to guarantee hits on Mega Diancie and other Rock types, while the burn chance is nice too.

Hydreigon has a Modest nature because it can abuse Tailwind to its fullest and deal as much damage as possible with Life Orb STAB attacks. I used Roost over Earth Power or Fire blast because I felt I had enough ways to beat Heatran and other Steel types, and Roost lets Hydreigon stay around for longer amd deal more damage.

Heatran is the standard quick tran with Safety Goggles to provide a switchin to Amoonguss. Im using Fire Blast to bypass Wide Guard Aegislash and deal a lot of damage to it while it hits everything else hard.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I hate Perish Trap so I decided to build a Mega Gengar offense team

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect
So Gengar is an obvious choice here. I knew I wanted to pair Gengar up with a set-up sweeper since I can trap stuff that threatens it but I didn't know what. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are both STABs and Protect is obvious. I opted with Taunt instead of WoW/Sub because sleep sucks. Originally was Encore, idk why I even put it there cause Gengar can't even learn it lmao

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Protect
Fighting-types have amazing synergy with Gengar so I knew I wanted to use some kind of Fighting-type set-up mon, the problem was, which one. In the end, I opted with Keldeo since Scald lets me hit Heatran and it can somewhat check Landorus-T too, both of which somewhat threatens Gengar. Scald over Hydro Pump because it's more accurate and I'm using CM anyways so having the accuracy is more preferred. Secret Sword is STAB, CM is Keldeo's boosting move, and Protect is pretty self explanatory.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
I was a bit worried about Diancie, Scarf Landorus-T, and Talonflame so I decided on Rotom-W. Originally had Thunder Wave over WoW but found that WoW helped me out a lot more so I changed it. Don't really think I need to explain anymore since it's standard Rotom-W.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Needed something for TR so I picked Amoonguss (even though it is a soft-check at best). Plus it synergizes pretty nicely with my two water-types so why not right haha. It does add to Psychic/Talonflame weakness though.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
To help with my Psychic weakness, I decided to add in Bisharp. It's also cool against common TR setters. Focus Sash is more of a preference thing but LO can certainly be used instead, everything else is pretty standard.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
Right now, Amoonguss kinda walls me so I decided to add in Talonflame. I also lacked any form of Speed control and priority which Talonflame helps with. My two water-types and Amoonguss are great against Rock-types so Talonflame fit pretty well already. Overheat could be used over Flare Blitz but I like having Flare Blitz more since it lets me hit Thundurus harder.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What I used to beat Laga in dugtrio cup:

Entei @ Safety Goggles
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Psych Up
- Protect

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Taunt

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Frustration
- Protect
Built to try to capitalize on trapping. Trap Charizard, Bisharp, or Ferrothorn and remove with Terrakion or trap Talonflame and remove with Rhydon, all of which help Serperior and Gyarados. Alternatively trap Rotom-W and remove with Serperior, gaining a boost.

Meanwhile, between the optional Sub on Gengar (you can replace Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb without losing much of anything) and Goggles on Entei, you can trap and render Amoonguss utterly useless and play more or less 2 v 1 on its partner, though Gengar will still be affected by Rage Powders :(

Rhydon also redirects electric attacks from Gyarados and Thunder Waves from hitting Serperior or Gengar.

Gyarados EVs are to outrun Skymin at +1, Rhydon EVs are for something Mega Diancie related iirc, everything else is obvious.

replay of it working v Laga: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-doublesou-69319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)