SS Doubles OU Doubles OU Trick Room Team

Hi there! First time officially posting a team onto this thread, and hopefully this is the right spot for this. I'm looking into making a Doubles OU/VGC team and I found a lot of interest in Trick Room because I've really enjoyed using Hatterene. My friend sent me a screenshot of a guy using a team very similar to this, but I changed up some things for my own personal preferences and for some specific things in the meta. I have not tested the team that much, only about 10 games, but so far it shows mediocre success. However, I'm unsure what to change to make that win rate go up higher.

Now time for the team

Hatterene @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Happiness: 160
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Psychic

I really enjoy using Hatterene on this team, it's such a solid trick room user and just maxing out my HP and special attack to survive at least 1-2 hits and hit back hard after setting up trick room is my goal for one of the leads on the team. Dazzling Gleam and Psychic are there for stab, and protect from multi-target moves and multiple pokemon targeting it. I considered Leftovers on it, but felt the extra power from Life Orb was better suited due to Hatterene's decent special attack stat.

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpA / 40 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Protect

A pokemon I was never a fan of until I playtested with it on this team, and oh boy do I absolutely love it. Getting those Drought-boosted and Charcoal-boosted Eruptions on any pokemon that doesn't naturally resist Fire deals so much damage. max HP to survive for as long as possible, and some extra special defense to sponge Dragapult and other special threats more. Protect on there for in the case I want to Dynamax Torkoal and defend myself against any Dynamaxed Water types. Solarbeam is on this set because I can use it immediately after switching in unless another weather setter swaps in.

Cofagrigus @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press
- Will-O-Wisp

Another old favorite of mine that I have not used as much as I would enjoy to. It's my physically defensive trick room setter, intended to wall Lucario, Darmanitan, Dracovish, Conkeldurr, and other physically damaging users. Shadow Ball and Body Press are there so that I don't get walled by normal types, but also have a stab move that can reduce special attack for Butterfree, Hatterene, and Torkoal. While this has not gotten as much usage in my playtesting as I would enjoy, when it has been used it's been very successful.

Butterfree-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Rage Powder
- Energy Ball
- Hurricane
- Pollen Puff

A very niche pick for the team, but an absolute favorite for the team. This is definitely the most expendable member of the team and I am willing to swap it out, but would much like to use it if possible. Focus Sash Rage Powder is intended to help set up trick room turn 1, and having Hurricane and Energy ball allows Butterfree to hit multiple targets with quite a bit of power. Pollen puff is a bit of an odd choice, but I find it useful if Butterfree survives into Trick room to heal up my ally or potentially hurt Hatterene or other psychic types very hard with a stab 90 base power move.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 SpD
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Darkest Lariat
- Iron Head
- Heat Crash

My personal favorite set on the entire team, and my own creation. Assault Vest Snorlax is intended to wall special threats such as Dragapult, Hatterene, Clefable, Togekiss, and so on. Brave 164 attack allows me to guarantee a 2HKO on opposing TR Hatterene's with Iron Head, or a Guaranteed 3HKO with Heat Crash. Facade is there in the case of an opponent attempting to toxic/Will-O-Wisp my snorlax, versus using Body Slam. Darkest Lariat is there intending to hit Dragapult, which I originally had Hammer Arm in that slot making the matchup very tough to handle. It also handles any boosts from Dynamax moves or Gmax moves. Iron Head is intended for Fairy types, specifically Grimmsnarl, Hatterene, Clefable, Gardevoir, etc. Lastly, Heat Crash is there for any steel types, such as Corviknight, Ferrothorn, etc that attempt to swap in on Snorlax and wall it's standard sets.

164+ Atk Snorlax Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hatterene: 166-196 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ Atk Snorlax Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hatterene: 124-147 (38.9 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 164-193 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- 73.5% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 163-193 (31.1 - 36.8%) -- 73.6% chance to 3HKO

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Lastly, a somewhat standard Conkeldurr set utilizing flame orb/guts and just breaking through some of the tougher walls in the game.

https://pokepast.es/a758c2c2dcbad637 link to the team

Overall, I really enjoy this team but I'm unsure of how to fix it in order to just work better. Perhaps i'm not the best at Trick room/Doubles yet, but I would like to try and get better. Any advice or changes to the team that are recommended I will gladly consider and possibly change on the team.

Thank you so much for the help in advance (:

P.S if this is the wrong spot for this post, please let me know and I will gladly move it :)

yes ok

Banned deucer.
I like this team but would suggest that you use psyshock on hatterene in order to deal more damage to specially defensive Pokémon !

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi there, this team reminds me of the teams SMB and aurarayquaza shared in this thread

The first thing I notice is lack of Fire type checks, most notably for Snarl Arcanine. You have no super-effective moves against Fire types so I could see Bulky Arcanine switching into your team easily to Intimidate Conk and Snorlax, or to Snarl Torkoal and Hat.

So I suggestion changing Conkeldurr to Rhyperior.
Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
So far Rhyperior has been very popular on full room teams, mostly as Max user (but still great as a non-max mon). Thanks to Its High HP and Defense it can take hits well that trigger weakness policy activation. Its biggest problems are Water types and Grass types, Torkoal covers both those well as the Sun reduces the power of water moves and water types are weak to Solar Beam.

The two teams I mentioned both have 3 trick room setters. I think you should try to either add a 3rd or make Butterfree-Gmax hold Choice Scarf.
In SMB's team he uses Scarf Butterfree to sleep threatening mons before they get a chance to move so one of you setters can set Trick Room safely.

You mentioned that Butterfree is the most expendable mon on the team, you could try Indeedee-F instead. Hatterene + Indeedee has become extremely popular thanks to Psychic Terrian boosting your attacks and preventing Fake Out. Replacing Butterfree with Indeedee still allows you to run re-direction with Follow Me rather than rage power. See Arays's team for example.

I would suggest making the change to Indeedee, it has proven to be an extremely powerful combination with Hatterene. It also frees up a better GMax slot for Hatterine or you could consider GMax Snorlax with Belly Drum. Having Indeedee to support BD Snorlax could be very powerful, as Follow Me allows it to get set-up and because Snorlax's main weakness (fighting types) is covered by Psychic Attacks.
Heres a sample set for Snorlax
Snorlax-Gmax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- High Horsepower
- Body Slam / Heat Crash
- Protect
Snorlax runs High Horsepower, so another solid check to fire types. Body Slam is the most common attack for it but I think Heat Crash could work as well, for another Steel type check.

Last edited:
Hi there, this team reminds me of the teams SMB and aurarayquaza shared in this thread

The first thing I notice is lack of Fire type checks, most notably for Snarl Arcanine. You have no super-effective moves against Fire types so I could see Bulky Arcanine switching into your team easily to Intimidate Conk and Snorlax, or to Snarl Torkoal and Hat.

So I suggestion changing Conkeldurr to Rhyperior.
Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
So far Rhyperior has been very popular on full room teams, mostly as Max user (but still great as a non-max mon). Thanks to Its High HP and Defense it can take hits well that trigger weakness policy activation. Its biggest problems are Water types and Grass types, Torkoal covers both those well as the Sun reduces the power of water moves and water types are weak to Solar Beam.

The two teams I mentioned both have 3 trick room setters. I think you should try to either add a 3rd or make Butterfree-Gmax hold Choice Scarf.
In SMB's team he uses Scarf Butterfree to sleep threatening mons before they get a chance to move so one of you setters can set Trick Room safely.

You mentioned that Butterfree is the most expendable mon on the team, you could try Indeedee-F instead. Hatterene + Indeedee has become extremely popular thanks to Psychic Terrian boosting your attacks and preventing Fake Out. Replacing Butterfree with Indeedee still allows you to run re-direction with Follow Me rather than rage power. See Arays's team for example.

I would suggest making the change to Indeedee, it has proven to be an extremely powerful combination with Hatterene. It also frees up a better GMax slot for Hatterine or you could consider GMax Snorlax with Belly Drum. Having Indeedee to support BD Snorlax could be very powerful, as Follow Me allows it to get set-up and because Snorlax's main weakness (fighting types) is covered by Psychic Attacks.
Heres a sample set for Snorlax
Snorlax-Gmax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- High Horsepower
- Body Slam / Heat Crash
- Protect
Snorlax runs High Horsepower, so another solid check to fire types. Body Slam is the most common attack for it but I think Heat Crash could work as well, for another Steel type check.
Thank you for the suggestions, I definitely agree with the Rhyperior and Indeedee F swap. I do think both changes are extremely beneficial to the team. I am a bit sad I won't be able to use AV Snorlax, but I like the idea of Gmax Snorlax more than Gmax butterfree and adding another sweeper to my team would be nice.

Thank you <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)