[Doubles] Mew (QC 0/3) [SKELLY COMPLETE]

[Overview]
  • Gigantic Movepool
  • 100 / 100 / 100 bulk
  • Fake Out + Helping Hand + Taunt
  • Can run a plethora of different sets
  • Best used to fill multiple roles, better off using Cresselia if you aren't doing this
  • Stiff competition from other Psychics due to decent but not amazing stats

[SET]
name: Support
move1: Fake Out
move2: Psyshock
move3: Helping Hand / Taunt
move4: Taunt / Icy Wind / Will-o-Wisp
item: Sitrus Berry / Tanga Berry
ability: Synchronize
evs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
nature: Bold Nature
ivs: 0 Atk

[Set Comments]
  • Fake Out stops set up like Trick Room and Tailwind, +2 Priority, extra damage
  • Psyshock is obligatory STAB and 2HKO's Hitmontop
  • Helping Hand boosts teammate's moves, important to net KO's
  • Taunt stops annoying support moves and shuts down Pokemon like Cresselia
  • Ice Wind is wonderful speed control and also a spread move
  • Will-o-Wisp cripples physical attackers like Tyranitar and Scizor

[Additional Comments]
  • EV spread tailored to live hits, 180 Def survives Dark Gem Crunch from Tyranitar and Bug Gem Megahorn from Heracross, 76 SDef survives Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios and Hydreigon
  • Sitrus Berry increases longevity while Tanga Berry allows Mew to better take STAB Bug hits from Volcarona, Heracross, and Scizor
  • Pairs well with strong heavy hitters like Tyranitar that like Helping Hand / Icy Wind support
  • 3rd and 4th moveslot can be changed - Protect is always good, Snarl works well to cripple Special Attackers

[SET]
name: Trick Room Support
move2: Taunt
move3: After You
move4: U-Turn/ Baton Pass
item: Tanga Berry / Mental Herb
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
nature: Jolly Nature

[Set Comments]
  • Set tailored to set up Trick Room
  • Fake Out stops Taunters from shutting down your Trick Room setter
  • Taunt shuts down support Pokemon like Cresselia and stops slower Taunts
  • After You allows Trick Room setters to go directly after, greatly guaranteeing that Trick Room will get set up
  • U-Turn allows Mew to switch out into a Trick Room abuser and deal damage, which Baton Pass gets through Protect
[Additional Comments]
  • Max speed and HP to take hits and have a slow U-Turn once Trick Room has been set up
  • Tanga Berry is the main item, letting Mew better take strong Bug attacks
  • Mental Herb is the other item option, allowing me to bypass faster Taunts for that turn and use Taunt itself
  • Trick Room users are the best partners - Chandelure, Jellicent, and Reuniclus all love the support of After You

[SET]
name: Offensive
move1: Psyshock
move2: Aura Sphere
move3: Fire Blast / Ice Beam
move4: Protect
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
evs: 44 Def / 248 SAtk / 216 Spd
nature: Modest Nature

[Set Comments]
  • Used to catch people off guard expecting a support set
  • Psyshock is the main STAB
  • Aura Sphere gets good coverage with Psyshock, nailing Tyranitar, Bisharp, and other Steel-types / Dark-types
  • Fire Blast gets past Ferrothorn and Scizor, while muscling its way through Occa Berry variants
  • Ice Beam nails Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios among other Pokemon for good damage
  • Protect allows Mew to survive longer and block spread moves
[Additional Comments]
  • Expert Belt increases the power of Mew's moves without recoil, but fails to net some KO's 100% of the time
  • Life Orb increases move power in general and is more reliable than Expert Belt, but decreases Mew's bulk because of recoil
  • 216 Speed outpaces base 80's, while 44 Def allows Mew to better survive Tyranitar's Crunch after Sand damage
  • Pairs well with Tailwind - Togekiss makes a great partner with Follow Me and Tailwind, while Scizor compliments Mew well with SE STAB Bug Bite on Dark-types
[Other Options]
  • Incredible movepool
  • Roost
  • Heal Bell
  • Sunny Day
  • Magic Coat
  • Swagger
  • ChestoRest
  • Super Fang
[Checks and Counters]
  • Dark-types: Tyranitar, Bisharp, Hydreigon
  • Bug-types: Scizor, Heracross, Genesect, Volcarona
  • Ghost-types, specifically Chandelure, is extremely threatening
  • Faster Taunts shut down support sets

[Overview]
<p>At first glance, Mew seems to be outclassed by the best Psychic-type in the tier, Cresselia. Mew has a lot going for it, though. Mew has one of the biggest movepools in the game, which allows it to fill multiple roles with one set. Mew boasts Fake Out, arguably the best supporting move in Doubles, and is one of two Pokemon that can learn Fake Out, Taunt, and Helping Hand. To go along with a fantastic movepool is 100 base stats all around, which give Mew reasonably good bulk. Mew also learns support moves the Cresseliadoesn’t; Fake Out, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Tailwind, Snarl, and reliable recovery, among other things, are all accessible to Mew, but not Cresselia.</p>

<p>However, unless Mew is filling multiple roles with one set, Cresselia is generally a better option at supporting teammates due to Cresselia’s superior bulk, while Latias generally can perform a better Tailwindsetbecause of Latias’ superior Dragon/Psychictyping. Be wary of using Mew; unless Mew fills multiple roles on your team, there is generally a superior Psychic-type to use.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move2: Psyshock
move3: Helping Hand / Taunt
move4: Taunt / Icy Wind / Will-o-Wisp
item: Sitrus Berry / Tanga Berry
evs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
nature: Bold Nature

[Set Comments]
<p>The support set is probably Mew’s best set and the set you most likely want to use. Fake Out is a great move; the free damage along with giving Mew’s partner some room to breathe can be very important in the grand scheme of short-lived Doubles matches. Psyshock is the best STAB choice for Mew, as most defensive Fighting-types like Hitmontop will not invest in Defense, which allows you to achieve 2HKO’s on the aforementioned Hitmontop, along with Breloom, Terrakion, and most Fighting-types not named Galade.</p>

<p>The choice between Helping Hand and Taunt is a tough one. Helping Hand is generally preferred as it allows Mew’s partner to hit harder and possibly net key OHKO’s. Taunt, on the other hand, can stop annoying opposing Pokemon like Cresselia and Amoonguss from using support moves. However, even if you choose Helping Hand over Taunt, Taunt is still probably the best option in the fourth moveslot. Icy Wind is wonderful for speed control if your team needs it and is a decent spread move. Will-o-Wisp can cripple physical threats and a lot of Pokemon that threaten Mew, like Tyranitar and Scizor.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EV spread is tailored to be as bulky as possible while maximizing Mew’s chance at surviving big hits. 180 Def allows Mew to survive Dark Gem Crunch from Tyranitar and Choice Band / Bug Gem U-Turn from Scizor. With 76 SDef, Mew can survive Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios and Dragon Gem Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse from Hydreigon. 252 HP EV’s maximizes Mew’s bulk. Sitrus Berry is generally the option of choice, as it increases Mew’s longevity and allows it to continue supporting for a longer period of time. Tanga Berry, however, is an alternative option, allowing Mew to better take Megahorn from Heracross, Technician-boosted Bug Bite from Scizor, and Bug Buzz from Volcarona.</p>

<p>Due to Mew’s gigantic movepool, the third and fourth moveslots can be changed at your leisure. Protect is always a fantastic option, to survive spread moves and hits from opposing Pokemon. Protect is also useful to stall out moves with a time limit, such as Tailwind and Trick Room. Snarl is a great spread move and always will lower Special Attack, so if your team has problems taking special hits Snarl can work well. Snarl and Icy Wind also work well in tandem with each other, as they completely shutdown fast, strong special attackers like Latios and Hydreigon. Roost is a cool option to keep Mew healthy throughout the match, but you most likely want to be supporting 100% of the time Mew is on the field.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Support
move2: Taunt
move3: After You
move4: U-Turn/ Baton Pass
item: Tanga Berry / Mental Herb
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
nature: Jolly Nature

[Set Comments]
<p>Mew can work fantastically as a Trick Room supporter. Fake Out is Trick Room’s favorite support move. With it, Mew can shut down most things that threaten your Trick Room setter or just annoying opposing Pokemon. Fake Out also helps rack up extra damage when you need it and can ruin the opposing team’s momentum very easily. Taunt stop support moves like Spore and slower Taunts, which can be crucial to get Trick Room up safely. After You rounds out the support options on this set. After You allows the targeted Pokemon to go directly after Mew uses the move. This allows your Trick Room setter to move right after Mew and use Trick Room before random Taunts and Spores hit it, as well as being able to use Trick Room before fainting. U-Turn gives Mew the chance to switch out for Trick Room abusers and take hits that you wouldn’t want your other Pokemon to take. Baton Pass is an option as it lets Mew switch out and not get blocked by Protect, but then Mew becomes Taunt-bait by faster Taunt users like Thundurus and Tornadus.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EV’s are basically made to make Mew as bulky and fast as possible. 328 Speed lets Mew outspeed a myriad of threats and Taunt those Pokemon. After Trick Room, Mew has a very slow U-Turn and can take hits that its teammates wouldn’t want to hit due to its superb bulk. Tanga Berry is the main item on the set, allowing Mewtosurvive hits from Pokemon such as Scizor and continue to stay alive for another turn. This can be crucial to get off an important Taunt or After You. Mental Herb is the other item option for Mew. This set’s biggest enemies are faster Taunters, specifically Thundurus and Tornadus, so the ability to avoid a faster Taunt and then use Taunt yourself can be very important during a battle. Although Encore isn’t very common, Mental Herb can bypass Encore as well; Politoed is a notable user of the move.</p>

<p>The best partners for this set are Trick Room users. Chandelure can use Trick Room and abuses it well with a 145 base SAtk stat, while being able to avoid Fake Out due to its Ghost-typing. Jellicent and Mew form an extremely bulky duo and Jellicent can lay down Trick Room. Reuniclus is another notable Trick Room and appreciate’s Mew’s support to no end, appreciating the ability to set up Trick Room quickly due to its abysmal Speed.<p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move1: Psyshock
move2: Aura Sphere
move3: Fire Blast / Ice Beam
move4: Protect
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
evs: 44 Def / 248 SAtk / 216 Spd
nature: Modest Nature

[Set Comments]
<p>Offensive Mew works well because most people expect Mew to have a support role, while this set tries to catch people off guard to get important KO’s. Mew hits relatively hard and in conjunction with its good natural bulk it can become a very good attacker. Psyshock is the preferred STAB move for Mew, as the Special Defense stat is generally invested in more than the Defense stat in Doubles. Aura Sphere nails Pokemon like Tyranitar and Bisharp, OHKOing non Chople Berry variants. Aura Sphere in conjunction with Psyshock also almost gets perfect coverage, only missing out on hitting Psychic-types and few Pokemon with dual types. Fire Blast is the preferred 3rd move to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor while being able to muscle through Occa Berry variants. However, Ice Beam is also a solid choice, being able to hit Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios for good damage. Protect is the most solid move for the 4th slot, allowing Mew to bypass spread moves like Eruption and survive longer throughout the match.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs allow Mew to outpace base 80’s and the rest is dumped into Defense to better survive Tyranitar’s Crunch after a turn of Sand damage. Expert Belt is the preferred item still give Mew a marginal increase in power but not take away from Mew’s bulk each turn, however Life Orb guarantees Mew can OHKO max HP Hitmontop with Psyshock and increases the power of Mew’s moves in general.</p>

<p>Offensive Mew works best under Tailwind. Togekiss makes a fantastic partner, being able to set up Tailwind and use Follow Me to keep Mew alive. Scizor is another wonderful partner for Mew, having access to Tailwind and being able to murder Dark-types that bother Mew like Tyranitar.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Mew has an incredible movepool, defensively and offensively. Roost gives Mew reliable recovery to last longer throughout a match, but generally another support move option would be more useful given the shortness of most Doubles matches. Heal Bell can cure Mew’s partners of status ailments, effectively uncrippling Pokemon. Sunny Day can disrupt other weathers. Magic Coat is an option to reflect moves that Mew does not enjoy taking such as Taunt and Toxic. Swagger used on a teammate carrying Lum Berry can effectively give the teammate a free +2 Attack. ChestoRest is a reliable way of recovery to completely heal Mew, but forces Mew to carry a Chesto Berry and take up a moveslot with Rest. Super Fang can wear down bulky Pokemon for teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Mew’s biggest enemies are Pokemon with faster Taunts, effectively stopping support Mew from fulfilling its role. Powerful Dark-types, specifically Tyranitar and Bisharp, can’t OHKO Support Mew but have an easy time preying on it with Crunch. Dark Gem Hydreigon has a 75% to OHKO 252 HP / 76 SDef Mew with STAB Dark Pulse but fears Icy Wind and Aura Sphere. Life Orb Chandelure powers its way through Mew as well, having a 56.25% chance to OHKO with Shadow Ball. Bug-types have an easy time with Mew, too. Scizor can muscle its way through Mew with STAB Technician Bug Bite, while Volcarona can Quiver Dance to boost its power and nail Mew with Bug Buzz. Genesect’s +1 U-Turn 2HKO’s Mew but forces itself out. Heracross fails to OHKO Support Mew with STAB Megahorn but seriously damages it, effectively crippling it for the remainder of the match. Lastly, Steel-types effectively wall Mew if it doesn’t run Aura Sphere.</p>

Last edited:
Okay Mew just has a huge amount of options so I was trying to break down what was viable and what wasn't, I think my slashes could be changed a little so we'll see.

The main reason I didn't make an offensive set is that Mew is pretty weak and other Pokemon do it better without sacrificing power (Genesect, Hydreigon, even Infernape), but if someone has had actual success with a set like that I could add it in. I doubt anyone really has though.

First thing, well done on having the balls to take on what is probably the toughest analysis in the metagame. I briefly considered doing it myself before realising how difficult it would be just to work the sets out. These sets look pretty good. I might swap the order though - IMO Fake Out is Mew's biggest selling point, particularly the fact that it is the bulkiest Fake Out user in the game.

Tailwind, on the other hand, doesn't convince me. I look at that set and think I might as well be using Latias (faster, Draco Meteor is really powerful for a support Pokemon) or Suicune (bulkier, with most of the same support options listed).

One set that I do remember from a while back was the kind of "Trick Room Support" set, consisting of Fake Out / Taunt / After You / U-Turn, with max HP and speed. This is designed to be a lead alongside a setter on TR teams. Between the first three moves, Mew is pretty much guaranteed to let a partner set up; he then has a "slow" U-turn (Baton Pass can also be used, it does no damage but ignores protect) to switch in a TR attacker safely. It also automatically gives TR teams a fast Pokemon to compete when TR expires.

As for an offensive set, Cresselia has one, just sayin'. (For the record I think Expert Belt Cresselia is a silly idea, Mew has both stats and a movepool which make it far more appropriate to be a bulky attacker.)

Right, now more pedantic things:

[Overview]

- List some of the key support options Cresselia lacks. For me these are Fake Out, Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Tailwind and maybe Snarl.

[Set 1]

- I don't know if you specifically want to be able to 2HKO Amoonguss when (a) lots of them run Sitrus Berry, ruining the 2HKO, and (b) you can just destroy it with Taunt anyway. Something like OHKOing Terrakion might be a better benchmark.
- I also think Tanga Berry > Colbur Berry because Megahorn from Heracross and Escavalier is more powerful than any Dark-type move.

[AC 1]

- Offensive Togekiss seems a weird option to provide Tailwind support for because it can just set up Tailwind itself.

[Set 2]

- I'd make 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD the main spread. Everything bulky is EV'd to take those powerful Draco Meteors.
- Again, I like Tanga Berry. Sitrus is just asking or Scizor to Bug Bite you.

[OO]

- Loads of stuff, but Thunder Wave, After You and Explosion spring to mind. Also, Protect hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

Good luck going forward with this analysis. You've made a really great start.

Added all your suggestions. I think I had it in my head to make the support set the first set, I just forgot to switch them.

The main thing I like about Tailwind is Mew's huge movepool to go along with it and that Mew doesn't stack another Ice weakness that a lot of other Tailwind users do, but if enough people don't like it I can take the set out.

Like I said, could also add in an offensive set if Cresselia has got one, but I find it kind of silly unless enough people support it.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't have 0 Atk IV on your first set, because you're using Fake Out. Even though the extra damage is negligible, it at least occurs every match, where as the negligble extra damage you take from confusion and Foul Play will only occur in a few matches.

Regarding an offensive set, it works in the same well as Cress' offensive set: people normally expect a support set with Mew, but an offensive set catches them off guard to KO it's would be counters. It also has some huge perks over Cress, such as being able to OHKO Hitmontop with Expert Belt Psyshock (99.34 - 116.77%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO, better offensive movepool (Cress resorts to HP Fire, but you can use Heat Wave / Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and especially Aura Sphere to OHKO 252 HP Ttar), and better Speed of course.

I haven't tested it, but I imagine a set of Psyshock, Aura Sphere, Heat Wave / Flamethrower / Ice Beam and Protect with Expert Belt and 44 HP / 248 SpA / 216 Spe, Modest nature would work well. The Speed and HP EVs are prone to subject, but you need at least 32 HP to always survive Ttar's Crunch, and 248 and 252 SpA gives you the highest chance of KOing Hitmontop with Psyshock. Don't bother with support moves; Cress utilises them better thanks to her bulk. Heat Wave and Flamethrower will both OHKO Scizor, and giving Heatran a Flash Fire boost isn't a big concern thanks to Aura Sphere, but only Flamethrower will OHKO the standard 252 HP / 108 Def Relaxed Ferrothorn. Ice Beam should be at least ACed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like those suggestions, Darkmalice! I would remove Heat Wave / Flamethrower for Fire Blast, though, as this will provide the best answer against Occa Berry Scizor and Ferrothorn.

I would also move those HP EVs into Def EVs to better survive Adamant Tyranitar's Crunch after a turn of sand damage (44 Def / 248 SpA / 216 Spe)

Added everything. I tweaked the EV's a bit because I'm not really sure what 216 Speed EV's is suppose to outrun, as I looked and I couldn't find anything important. I made it outrun base 80's (Chandelure and Mamoswine come to mind) but it can change.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You outrun neutral Spe Kyurem(-B) with 216 Spe, so it's quite significant

Pocket

remove Heat Wave and slash Ice Beam instead to nail Thundurus, Landorus, Garchomp, and Latios for solid damage. Also Heat Wave is also too weak without STAB IMO

I finally got this done, sorry it took so long.

I completely wiped the Tailwind set, as I took a closer look and realized that there are just better Tailwind setters. But yeah, need QC and GP checks. :)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
If this hasn't gotten any QC checks then why is it written? It should be in jot-note format :o Ignore me/delete my post if I'm being stupid and missing something >.<

Pen Ink

I decided I might as well do it if no one was checking it. I have the other copy saved though if it's really that big of a deal. n_n

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah but that's not the way the C&C process works :o The analysis should be in skeleton form until you get two QC checks, then you write it up and receive your third QC check, finally, two GP members will edit and then stamp your analysis and you're done. Unless the mods oppose, I'd recommend using your skeleton version instead.

Pen Ink

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)