Double Sand (First RMT)(Also first team)

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi guys! I'm fairly new to the whole competitive scene, and I'm not anything special right now, but I do know what pokemon does what stuff and all that, and I sorta know what I'm doing, so don't brush me off just yet.
This is a balanced sand team, and my teams always tend to be balanced or defensive in the end. I don't know why, but that's just how my brain works.
Oh and btw, this my first post to smogon forums too :p
Inspiration
Another way my brain works is when I enter a new tier, I usually try to find a nice team I like on these forums and try and introduce myself to the respective metagame with it. I did that with OU with a rain team and I noticed:
"Gee, losing the weather war sucks."
So I looked at weather inducers and noticed
"Hey there are two Sand inducers in the OU tier! Why not try and make a team that works both!"
And that's basically how I made my first team

Teambuilding

So obviously I started with the two sand inducers. Standard defensive hippo and a nice banded ttar to hit like a truck. These guys share a buttload of weaknesses, so why not slap a gastrodon on there? I heard its pretty decent on sand teams! It has a water immunity too!

From there, I knew having a spinner was in general nice, so why not stuff in a foretress too? It's a pivot with volt switch and can set up hazards, so why not, it resists grass 4x too.

My team sorta lacked a solid form of offense, so I scrolled through for sand sweepers that actually benefited outside of the passive damage and I came upon the beast known as:
LANDORUS. This monster with life orb, sand force, and rock polish was a force to be reckoned with.

I then wanted a better special attacker, so I put in a Specs latios too. I recently saw this cool sleep talk set with choice specs that dealt with breloom quite nicely, and breloom sorta bothered my team as is, so i decided to try that out.

I went into the showdown lobby, confident of my team, and I won my first battle. Unfortunately, my first battle ended up being a pp stall war that lasted 116 turns. I also soon found out that specs gastrodon, which was what I was running at the time, was FAR less bulkier than I imagined, so I immediately replaced it with a celebi.

I stuck with this team for a while. Until smogon struck down landorus. I died on the inside, oh I cannot tell you how. This beast, which held the team together, was mercilessly killed under the dreaded smogon banhammer. So from there, I replaced it with rock polish lando-t.

So this continued for a while until I noticed that Lando-T got swords dance too! I then made Lando-T a double dance set with earthquake and smack down, and smack down worked surprisingly well, allowing me to pressure skarmory and gliscor. I realized that foretress wasn't really pulling its weight either, I didn't have anything particularly crippled by hazards, and it annoyed me in general, so i replaced it with a scarf heatran to check sun and put some speed on the team.

Heatran actually worked out pretty well, but I soon realized Heatran wasn't the best pokemon to scarf. It still worked well enough though, and I then thought up of jirachi and how nicely it would fit as a scarfer with decent speed.

This worked out pretty well too, but jirachi just didn't hit that hard, and it left me fairly unimpressed. So then I decided hey, if you can't defeat them, join them. That's right. I put a banded scizor on this team. Not only did it act as a better pivot because it is slower, it allowed me to have a backup pursuit trapper and a check to gengar and alakazam, while giving me a decent amount of speed and power with bullet punch.

This team worked great, and I got to a solid ranking with this one, but all of a sudden keldeo started running hp bug and all types of other weird shenanigans, and celebi just wasn't cutting it as my only keldeo counter, and I wanted a spinblocker while being an even better check to rain, scizor, and ferrothorn, so I put in a nice sp. def jellicent.

Man, this jellicent did WORK. I ran enough speed so that I could outspeed unboosted uninvested base 70's such as politoed to taunt them before they could toxic me. I could WoW scizor and ferrothorn and this pokemon just completely neutralized any water weakness I might've had (well mostly). This team worked splendidly and I got around 1900-ish on the same account with my low ass deviation from testing.

I then realized that fairy type was released and I just had to use more dragons while they were still decent, so I decided to try out a garchomp instead of lando-t, I really didn't find that many good setup oppurtunities and I had never even used chomp before so I wanted to try out the infamous land shark. It worked fairly well with a subSD set and even though I missed intimidate and was really reconsidering, garchomp all of a sudden completely annihilated a stall team. I then decided I'll keep trying him and thus the teambuilding process finally ends.
this is my current team

If you're actually still reading this, you have a lot more to go, but i definitely applaud your patience so far. Really, give yourself a pat on the back.

The Team

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

This thing is definitely one of the best defensive pokemon in the game, hands down. Reliable recovery? Check. Outstanding bulk? Check. Phazing move? Check. Sets hazards? Check. This man does so much to hold this team together from the dragons that rampage throughout the tier (but not for much longer). Earthquake is simple, just to hit stuff and actually take a decent chunk out of stuff like garchomp and tentacruel. Slack off is even more obvious, keeps my hippowdon healthy, as my t-tar usually dies first. Whirlwind to phaze the dragons away, and stealth rock for those sun teams and other stuff. Hippowdon has its place in this team for obvious reasons, but time and time again he has proven himself to be more than just part of an unconventional core.

upload_2013-9-23_18-29-59.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

There are plenty of reasons to choose tyranitar over hippowdon on a sand team (and some people choose him just for his raw power and awesomeness it self!), and this set is one of them. A crunch or stone edge from a 134 banded adamant fully invested STAB monster is something not a lot can boast to take. To be honest, a scarf set would probably work better with this team, and I'm probably gonna try that out, but I will really miss being able to switch in on jellicent, latios, espeon, and several others, click pursuit, and watch things die. The set is really standard, and boy does it pack a punch. I opted for max sp. def to ease switching in on the aforementioned tyranitar fodder, guaranteeing that unless the latios is specs and uses surf/draco meteor, it is a dead latios. Well, even if it does kill with draco, scizor can easily come in and pursuit. The point is, this man does work, and whenever I want a pesky latias that keeps setting up on my jellicent gone, this beast is on the job.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 88 Spd / 184 SDef / 236 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

It's no exaggeration to call this thing the glue of the team. Literally, this thing can usually just handle rain teams on its own, and is basically the only reason I'm not swept by them. A lot of my other team members attract water moves and its beautiful to have a nice water absorb jellicent just get the free switch in and taunt the incoming ferrothorn. Scald is always nice, but I never get the burn. No seriously, I've never even burned with scald. That's why I have will-o-wisp, which always succeeds in catching some rotom-w on the switch, which is always nice. Recover is there for obvious reasons, and is even more important b/c I'm not gaining any hp back with the sand up. Taunt is there to stop ferrothorn and defensive politoed in their tracks. Unless I happen to miss WoW and get smacked with a power whip from ferrothorn (which happens a lot unfortunately, and it really shouldn't >_>), rain defensive cores tend to crumble in front of this monster. I run 0 attack Ivs only to reduce damage from confusion and foul play, and though it seems pointless, it doesn't hurt. In short, without this one pokemon my team would be pretty screwed against rain of all kinds. Honestly, this thing is the only reason keldeo is still OU.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Oh boy, this abomination of nature fit onto my team pretty quickly. Eventhough I have two banded users, scizor just fit into my team like a missing puzzle piece and started pooping on everything. I found out scizor isn't THE most used pokemon in the OU tier for show (last time I checked anyway): Fabulous typing, great ability, unfairly strong priority, and a u-turn that does more than just scout. Oh look at that, I already explained half his set, yay. Superpower is there just for coverage and I've nailed quite a few Ferrothorn on the switch that were expecting a U-turn. Pursuit is there for obvious reasons, but I tend to play a little too offensive with my tyranitar and it's always nice to have 2 pursuit users on the team to pressure latios more. I run a brave nature and 0 Speed ivs to "outslow" other scizors to give me switch priority. It even outslows donphan! Long story short: this metal critter fit into my team easily and continues to hold it together very well.

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

This thing has quickly replaced Lando-T and has swept up to its name "the land shark" quite nicely. This thing, believe it or not, is even bulkier than swampert stat-wise, swampert just has a far better typing. On top of 130 base attack and 102 base speed to outpace a solid chunk of the unboosted metagame, this thing truly deserves its place as a sweeper on my team. Its a little sad an uninvested sub can breaks to just about anything, but all you need is one SD anyway, and after that, garchomp proceeds to just rip through teams. Dragon Claw>Outrage on this set because I really hate that outrage locks you in, and since I need leftovers because of substitute, confusion will get to me quickly. The beauty of this set is that I can hit something and then sub again if I need to, it's not a one-time burst of power that tries to do as much as it can. Earthquake is there for obvious reasons, and I think the rest of the set is fairly self-explanatory. To be honest, I was really excited with garchomp because I wanted to run this same set but with brightpowder and sand veil instead, but sand veil was banned, so oh well, rough skin is decent too. In conclusion, this thing can easily punch holes in teams when pokemon like skarmory are gone.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Talk

Let me tell you in a nutshell how to play this thing.
1. If there are steel types not named heatran on the opponents team, use hp fire
2. If there are no steel types and no fat pink blobs, use draco meteor.
3. If there are no steel types but a fat pink blob, use psyshock.
If you follow these rules, I can gaurantee you latios will net you atleast one kill and weaken the defensive core greatly. Max speed b/c I need all I can get and this is my fastest mon outside of scizor's bullet punch. I used to run t-bolt for rain until jellicent entered the team, so I started running psyshock for stuff like conkeldurr and guaranteeing a kill on breloom with sleep talk. Speaking of sleep talk, oh its simply wonderful for breloom which otherwise wrecks my team. I lead with tyranitar when I see a breloom, I bait the breloom lead or switch, bait spore while switching into latios, and then sleep talk while they try to focus punch/SD and laugh, with an additional bonus ragequit that sometimes follows. Latios is basically a monster and a half, and he punches big holes in teams lacking a steel type with good recovery. I run min attack Ivs to just reduce foul play and confusion, doesn't do much, but doesn't hurt. The only problem is that it is really revengable by T-tar and scizor after draco, and on top of taking sand, Stealth rocks, rotom-w volt switches, and an occasional scald, this guy doesn't stick around. Regardless, latios is really not meant to stick around, its on the team to punch holes and get rid of breloom.

Threat list
This guy is basically a gauranteed kill on my team, which is why I should really run scarf t-tar. Banded is a lot more fun though.
Gengar is a really big thorn in my ass, another reason I should be running scarf t-tar, with its sub-disable shit, strong special attack, and ability to completely screw my jellicent.
I can cancel its recovery with sand, and draco from latios hurts, but once this thing gets up a couple dd's, I'm pretty screwed.
He's basically just really versatile and annoying when scarfed, but if it isn't, latios outspeeds. Its just that this thing is really versatile and annoying.
I don't really have a solid counter to this thing, it can volt switch my jelli and latios and hydro pump the rest, so its annoying when it has a good amount of speed.
I can set up rocks, take a hit with jellicent, and set up sand, but this thing is a giant threat to my team. IN my defense, the first thing these things always do is quiver, so I don't think a scarf t-tar would help that much, and while jellicent can take a hit and taunt it, its sorta screwed if it has giga drain. Volc is definitely a threat to this team and rocks need be up ASAP for it.
I'm pretty sure all of us at some point as been through hell with its sub-toxic set, and though I can taunt it with jellicent, it outspeeds and toxics me first, while an uninvested eq always breaks garchomps subs. It's just a big annoyance to my team, and leaves my team very worn down once it finally dies.
Life orb starmie is basically the only spinner jellicent can't take and threatens my entire team in general with its powerful attacks and high speed, yet ANOTHER reason I should be running scarf t-tar

Conclusion
I had a lot of fun playing with this team, and it does please me to see how far its come. I will be trying out scarf tyranitar, though I really will miss the raw power its banded set brings to the table. For y'all ranking this team, feel free to change whatever, but keep hippowdon and tyranitar around atleast b/c these guys represent the entire team itself. Though it sounded like a really dumb idea on paper, this team has proven that hypothesis wrong and it will always be the first team I have ever created.

I would like to take a moment out of everybody's busy lives (as if I haven't already with this big fat RMT) to recognize Landorus. He was the original offense on this team and will forever be with me on this team. His special sets and physical sets brought such power to the OU metagame that it shook in fear, scrambling for a solid counter but in vain. I respected (*cough* abused *cough*) this overwhelming power and I respected its versatility over terrakion. Its rock polish set was simply beautiful, and though it didn't stick around too long with life orb damage, it packed a serious punch as players watched their ferrothorn switch ins be 2HKO'd at 80% by Adamant life orb sand force STAB earthquakes. You, landorus, the bringer of good crops (and despair), the unfortunate victim of the ban-happy smogon, will always be in the hearts of OU players.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Srn9130!

Ok, so taking a look at your team and your threat list, I think the major issue your team faces is that it is too slow. You don't have a Scarf Pokémon, so there are many setup sweepers that sweep your team such as Gyarados and Volcarona, as well as faster Pokémon in general like Alakazam. An easy fix to that is to change your Garchomp to a Scarf set. With a Choice Scarf, Garchomp can revenge kill many of the threats to your team that you mentioned, namely Volcarona and Gyarados, as well as faster Pokémon like Gengar and Alakazam (even with its Sash intact, Dual Chop can OHKO!). It works as a general revenge killer for your team, and I think it would be the best addition to your team. If you end up having trouble with Mamoswine, I would suggest using a defensive spread on your Jellicent to better absorb Earthquakes. Also, if your team is having a hard time beating Starmie, you should change your Tyranitar to a Scarf set as well. This means it can come in after Starmie kills Jellicent and OHKO with Pursuit before it has a chance to Spin!

Anyway I hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

Umm well basically what I'm seeing is use Scarfed Ttar flash in the counters. Which I 100% approve. Other than that looks solid. Maybe I'll use(steal) this

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Halcyon thanks for the great suggestions, I will definitely test these out and let y'all know how they work out. But the only thing that then bothers me is that all the attackers in my team would be scarf, which upsets me. Perhaps an SD set for scizor would make up for that?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, SD Scizor would be an excellent option for this team to lure in and KO Bulky Waters that would otherwise be troublesome for your many physical attackers (mainly Jellicent). It also makes eliminating Ferrothorn much easier, so I would definitely use SD AcroZor. Here's the set:

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

adamant garchomp and scarf it, might want to test dual chop on your garchomp too instead of dragon claw, each hit is 60 so together it does the same amount as dragon claw (I think :$). I would swap your latias for espeon with magic bounce, it counters brelooms spore better as well as ferrothorn, skarmory and forrestress. That way you're not sacrificing a pokemon to sleep. If you sleep talk a draco meteor you pretty much have to switch out which means you need to find an opportunity again to wake up while dealing dmg. HP Fire on espeon to deal with the aforementioned walls, psychic or psyshock, grass knot cause tbh it looks like swampert will block your team, lastly you can use signal beam or trick depending on preference. I would recommend trick as it can cripple any phys attacks that would try to set up on espeon expecting it to switch out, so keep specs on espeon.

adamant garchomp and scarf it, might want to test dual chop on your garchomp too instead of dragon claw, each hit is 60 so together it does the same amount as dragon claw (I think :$). I would swap your latias for espeon with magic bounce, it counters brelooms spore better as well as ferrothorn, skarmory and forrestress. That way you're not sacrificing a pokemon to sleep. If you sleep talk a draco meteor you pretty much have to switch out which means you need to find an opportunity again to wake up while dealing dmg. HP Fire on espeon to deal with the aforementioned walls, psychic or psyshock, grass knot cause tbh it looks like swampert will block your team, lastly you can use signal beam or trick depending on preference. I would recommend trick as it can cripple any phys attacks that would try to set up on espeon expecting it to switch out, so keep specs on espeon.
Do not listen to this man. Garchomp needs a speed boosting nature in this metagame, the only way that could ever possibly change is if mchomp is horrendously slow next gen.

I also agree about scarf chomp, and one little nitpick I see is that since you have will o wisp on jelly, why not give him surf > scald for extra damage?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, so I'm here to rate your team. To be honest, I think it's a solid team. I had to look over it for a while to find a few weaknesses, that's already a sign of a good team in my opinion. However, I did find a few weaknesses, and I'm going to suggest a few things to hopefully fix these weaknesses. Now with that out of the way, let's get to it.

So, looking at your threat list, you're weak to Volcarona, Alakazam, Starmie, Gengar. What I notice is that this are all fast Pokemon. I think you're mainly weak to this Pokemon mainly because you lack a revenge killer. Revenge killers are so good for this reason, as they stop you from being swept by these kind of Pokemon. So my suggestion is that you change Garchomp's set to the Choice Scarf set. This allows Garchomp to revenge kill Volcarona, Alakazam, Starmie, and Gengar, along with other threats. Here's the set.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop / Dragon Claw

So Garchomp has a great base 102 speed, allowing it to revenge kill a ton of Pokemon, including Starmie, Volcarona, and Thundurus-T. So because of this, you're going to need to run Jolly nature with with speed and max attack. Outrage is your main STAB of choice, as it hits ridiculously hard on neutral threats. Earthquake is your other STAB of choice, and has great general coverage with Outrage, as it hits steel types like Heatran and Jirachi that resist Outrage. Stone Edge is mainly coverage, and hits Volcarona for an easy OHKO. Finally, Dual Chop is your final move slot to hit Substitute users, although Dragon Claw is listed for it's conssitant power and accuracy.

So my next suggestion is to change your current Scizor set to the SD Acrobatics. This is mainly because I feel bulky water types could be a problem for you, and you have no way in breaking through them. I also feel banded Tyranitar + Scizor can also be kinda redundant, as they are both extremely hard hitters, both trap and kill off Latios etc. So here's the set.

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

So this set is great as you easily lure in bulky water types like Tentacruel and Jellicent, only to easily KO them after SR. So a Jolly nature is used to out speed Tentacruel and SpDef Heatran. So Swords Dance is used to boost Scizor's attack to very respectable levels. Acrobatics is the best part about this set, as Scizor does an amazing job in luring in bulky water types, only to easily OHKO them after SR. Acrobatics when boosted by Flying Gem also allows you to break though over walls like Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Gliscor. Bullet Punch is Scizor's main form of STAB and allows Scizor to hit faster Pokemon like Terrakion and Gengar. Finally, Super Power is mainly used for coverage to hit steel types that resist Flying + Steel coverage, and also nets the KO on Magnezone and Heatran, two of Scizor's best checks.

Other than that, this is a really cool team. I hope my suggestions helped you, and good luck in the future.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
To y'all with suggesting scarf garchomp it definitely sound like a good idea and I will try it out, but I have some beef with stone edge and I'll be using Fire blast instead to bait skarmory and stuff.
Also, thanks for all the love this team has been receiving, I really do appreciate it :D

Espeon over Latios? Go use a Sleep Talk Choice Specs Latios, and find out how godly that thing is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)